Do you think that Nvidia should recall 970's? (and Nvidia's response)

Doughnutnator

No you paid for a suckin V8 and now when you are on the race track you are going to lose cause you are down syndrome ... wrapped in a fancy package LOL.

Excuse me? The comparison here was that the Corvette still performs just as good as it did when first purchased which turned out to be fantastic, The GTX 970 has not suddenly turned into a slow pile of shit now that people discovered a number to be different than what they thought it was. The only difference now compared to before is that owners have found something to complain about

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

78ab3216_4vciohfw.png

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Loved reading snippets of this entire thread! Let me add my short 2c though. Even though the 970 is still an awesome card, i still feel cheated that Nvidia should have clarified or double checked etc before releasing the infomation to the general public. I, for one, would have thought twice about it before jumping in. For the people that say no one needs more than 3.5Gb of VRAM, I humbly disagree. My monitor is only 1080p and when turning up all the eye candy in Shadow of Mordor and FC4, the VRAM usage jumps up to and a little over 3.5Gb easy. Thus I feel something seriously needs to be done whether it be a firmware/bios fix or a refund/step up option. Thanks for hearing me out!

I bought it because of the FPS, that's right. But I also bought 3 monitors because I had 4 GB Vram to play with. Now, technically I still have 4 GB Vram, but more than 10% of it runs slowly. How do I know future games that use more than 3.5 GB of Vram won't lag out terribly because the software doesn't know how to use crippled Vram?

I spent ~$400 on a GPU, then spent ~$500 on new monitors because I trusted NVidia sold me the same card they advertised. NVidia did not sell me what they advertised.

NVidia sold me a 10/10 card; what consumers have revealed is that I received a 9/10 card. I would rather have a r9 290x than this card :/

I am On the same boat.

brought 970 for 500cad. Got my waterblcok 2weeks ago. Planning to get my third monitor soon.

and this bullshit appear.

Asking for a refund for an unknown issue is not going to happen. Especially if the difference is a few percent. That would be equivalent to asking Microsoft for a windows refund because that POS IE stops responding half the time it opens..

My take on the 970 is this. Nvidia made a decent card that wasn't anything special, charged less than they usually do(but still more than AMD does), and because of that people turned the 970 into the holy grail of video cards, when it really wasn't anything special.

Its basically just a cheaper lower quality gtx 780 that draws a little less power but has lower quality components and more QC issues, and apparently the inability to feature more than 3.5 gb of workable VRAM while featuring an inferior memory bus than its precedessor(and its AMD counterparts). You can blame tech sites(including this one) in part for creating the 970 bubble, which I think has finally been burst by this VRAM discovery.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

As an update that I have not seen here, Nvidia has responded on the GeForce forums.   

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/803518/geforce-900-series/gtx-970-3-5gb-vram-issue/post/4438090/#4438090

Long story short, they are working on a new driver that should help, but if you are not satisfied, they are willing to help unhappy 970 owners return their cards.   While I haven't been completely satisfied with the performance of my 970's (see my original post. I felt until all this information came out, that it was most likely due to immature drivers) I was not one of the super angry people you've been seeing on this and other forums.   I am actually pretty happy with the response.  At this point, I will probably wait to see how these new drivers help the issues I've been having, then decide whether to return and swap for one 980, or keep my 970s.   

As an update that I have not seen here, Nvidia has responded on the GeForce forums.   

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/803518/geforce-900-series/gtx-970-3-5gb-vram-issue/post/4438090/#4438090

Long story short, they are working on a new driver that should help, but if you are not satisfied, they are willing to help unhappy 970 owners return their cards.   While I haven't been completely satisfied with the performance of my 970's (see my original post. I felt until all this information came out, that it was most likely due to immature drivers) I was not one of the super angry people you've been seeing on this and other forums.   I am actually pretty happy with the response.  At this point, I will probably wait to see how these new drivers help the issues I've been having, then decide whether to return and swap for one 980, or keep my 970s.   

Actually, that Senior Customer Service Rep. (Peter) is an active member here.

I bought 2 EVGA GTX 970 SC one month after the they released. While I personally haven't had any issues yet, I can't guarantee I won't have any in the future. That's why I at least hope they give us something to compensate for they're screw up. 4GB GDDR5 was just a marketing scheeme and I believe that they can get into legal trouble.

Long story short, they are working on a new driver that should help, but if you are not satisfied, they are willing to help unhappy 970 owners return their cards. While I haven't been completely satisfied with the performance of my 970's (see my original post. I felt until all this information came out, that it was most likely due to immature drivers) I was not one of the super angry people you've been seeing on this and other forums. I am actually pretty happy with the response. At this point, I will probably wait to see how these new drivers help the issues I've been having, then decide whether to return and swap for one 980, or keep my 970s.

Thanks for sharing your opinion and the Nvidia response. I'm going to add it to the topic if you don't mind :)

We need specifics about the driver and refund or exchange. I hope Nvidia will announce it soon and the tech reviewers and sites/channel help them (nvidia) to spread the word. I would be okay if I can jump to 980 with 970+cash(discounted amount).

I love free stuff.

GTX 970 with pseudo 4gb vram at pseudo 224gb/s at pseudo  256-bit with 56 ROPs (corrected from 64) and 1.75mb L2 cache (corrected from 2mb).

We need specifics about the driver and refund or exchange. I hope Nvidia will announce it soon and the tech reviewers and sites/channel help them (nvidia) to spread the word. I would be okay if I can jump to 980 with 970+cash(discounted amount).

It seems that the 3.5GB thing is by design. It "should" work like that.

He said that maybe they're going to fill the slow 0.5GB with driver stuff.

It seems that the 3.5GB thing is by design. It "should" work like that.

He said that maybe they're going to fill the slow 0.5GB with driver stuff.

And also the specifics about how and when and the deadline to avail the refund or a step-up program.

I love free stuff.

GTX 970 with pseudo 4gb vram at pseudo 224gb/s at pseudo  256-bit with 56 ROPs (corrected from 64) and 1.75mb L2 cache (corrected from 2mb).

I find it weird that LTT nor the other tech channels that I frequent have said something about this or done some more in depth testing. Guru3D did a retest and concluded that nothing was wrong but I for one would like Slick to do some more testing. I am also curious to know whether Slick noticed this issue before and what he though about it. I dont know, maybe I missed a WAN show where this was discussed?

I find it weird that LTT nor the other tech channels that I frequent have said something about this or done some more in depth testing. Guru3D did a retest and concluded that nothing was wrong but I for one would like Slick to do some more testing. I am also curious to know whether Slick noticed this issue before and what he though about it. I dont know, maybe I missed a WAN show where this was discussed?

Almost all reviewers across the board found this card to be inadequate at 4K anyway, nothing has changed about the card except the new numbers.

Quote from Anandtech

It’s only fitting then that with the GTX 970 now up and running we find ourselves in a virtual tie between NVIDIA and AMD. Despite not even being NVIDIA’s flagship GM204 card, the GTX 970 is still fast enough to race the R9 290X to a dead heat – at 1440p the GTX 970 averages just 1% faster than the R9 290X. Only at 4K can AMD’s flagship pull ahead, and even then the situation becomes reversed entirely in NVIDIA’s favor at 1080p. As such the R9 290X still has a niche of its own, but considering the fact that GTX 970 is a $329 card I don’t seriously expect it to be used for 4K gaming, so the 1440p and 1080p comparisons are going to be the most appropriate comparisons here.

AD2000x Review  Fitear To Go! 334 Review

Speakers - KEF LSX

Headphones - Sennheiser HD650, Kumitate Labs KL-Lakh

Almost all reviewers across the board found this card to be inadequate at 4K anyway, nothing has changed about the card except the new numbers.

Quote from Anandtech

It’s only fitting then that with the GTX 970 now up and running we find ourselves in a virtual tie between NVIDIA and AMD. Despite not even being NVIDIA’s flagship GM204 card, the GTX 970 is still fast enough to race the R9 290X to a dead heat – at 1440p the GTX 970 averages just 1% faster than the R9 290X. Only at 4K can AMD’s flagship pull ahead, and even then the situation becomes reversed entirely in NVIDIA’s favor at 1080p. As such the R9 290X still has a niche of its own, but considering the fact that GTX 970 is a $329 card I don’t seriously expect it to be used for 4K gaming, so the 1440p and 1080p comparisons are going to be the most appropriate comparisons here.

Except games will start to use more ram at 1440p.

Some people on the internet are arguing that this affects the card in the future even it it just a bit.

Those 500 MB of ram that are slower would make a 290x a more future proof card, oh and the higher bus.

But you are right the 970 has never been the go to card for 4k, that has always been the 290x or the 980 after maxwell.

Just my two cents.

Might explain why I've never seen an actual die shot. Enderman's right. My room mates got a 970 and all he cares about is that it kicks ass. He hasn't had a single issue yet related to this news soo. As far as Nvidia an apology would be good also a firmware update to make full use of the RAM if possible. For those who are unhappy let them return their cards. I would've surprised if that caused an influx of 970s tho.

Wait, I have 2 970's - does this mean I was DOUBLE scammed?

I. Am. Furious. /s

Desktop: Intel i7 4790k, Hyper 212 EVO, SLI Gigabyte 970 G1 Gaming, 8GB HyperX Fury 1600mhz, Corsair CX850M, Fractal Design R5, Crucial MX100

Laptop: Samsung NP900X4C

Peripherals: HyperX Cloud Gaming, NAD Viso HP50, B&W P5, Logitech G710+, G400s, Z623, Galaxy Note 4 (Fiio E18 DAC), Google Nexus 7 (2013)

Might explain why I've never seen an actual die shot. Enderman's right. My room mates got a 970 and all he cares about is that it kicks ass. He hasn't had a single issue yet related to this news soo. As far as Nvidia an apology would be good also a firmware update to make full use of the RAM if possible. For those who are unhappy let them return their cards. I would've surprised if that caused an influx of 970s tho.

Nvidia is working on some revised drivers for the 970 so I hope they cure the whining by the red team on this forum

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Nvidia is working on some revised drivers for the 970 so I hope they cure the whining by the red team on this forum

Hahaha the AMD guys are very happy to see this drama.

I hope they optimize it, because they can't really fix this :(

Do you have 970's?

To everyone these cards have magically turned to garbage overnight, this  is just not the case. They are still the same cards you had a month ago lmao.  All in all my 970 g1 is an absolutely amazing card, i love it and will not go through the fuss of returning it. However i paid 500 bucks for what was promised to me; 64 ROPS, 2048 L2 cache and fully functioning 4gb of vram. Nvidia needs to take responsibility for their mistake. Whether its a recall, game compensation or steam card, the ball is in there court. Saying a driver will fix the said memory issue may only make things worse. keep in mind returning and going for a increasingly expensive 980 may not be the correct response. These cards will only become cheaper from this mishap, picking up another for a sli config little bit down the road may be minty B) 

Was thinking about returning, then going for a 290x; woke up the next morning with a head ache wondering wtf i was thing ahahahahaaha  Nvidia  > AMD  :lol: 

To everyone these cards have magically turned to garbage overnight, this  is just not the case. They are still the same cards you had a month ago lmao.  All in all my 970 g1 is an absolutely amazing card, i love it and will not go through the fuss of returning it. However i paid 500 bucks for what was promised to me; 64 ROPS, 2048 L2 cache and fully functioning 4gb of vram. Nvidia needs to take responsibility for their mistake. Whether its a recall, game compensation or steam card, the ball is in there court. Saying a driver will fix the said memory issue may only make things worse. keep in mind returning and going for a increasingly expensive 980 may not be the correct response. These cards will only become cheaper from this mishap, picking up another for a sli config little bit down the road may be minty B) 

Was thinking about returning, then going for a 290x; woke up the next morning with a head ache wondering wtf i was thing ahahahahaaha  Nvidia  > AMD  :lol: 

I agree with the first part of what you said but then you made yourself look like a fool at the end... Why.....?

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Dont know about anyone else but I would still have payed the price of entry for 970 if they advertised them as 3.5Gb cards instead of 4Gb, still best value for money.

They made a mistake and should definitely compensate buyers in some form (ie gift voucher, free game) to show that they value their customers. This would show that they are honest enough to admit they made a mistake and have good will. But they are in a money making business so I guess only time will tell how things turn out.

My final opinion on nvidia will be formed by the actions nvidia take in the upcoming weeks in how they correct this mistake in the eyes of their customers, not doing anything now by nvidia would in my eyes be as bad as the first mistake they made in misleading their customers regarding the specs of the card.

What to do with my sli 970's.... I can't go back to integrated graphics, NO I won't go back I tell you!

Desktop: Intel 4770k - 12GB Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz RAM - Asus Maximus VI Formula Mobo - Asus Strix 970 SLI - Cooler Master V850 PSU -  Nzxt Phantom 630 Case  - 1TB WD HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD - Nzxt Kraken X60 - 24" Asus VG248QE 1080p Monitor - Logitech G35 Headset -  G502 Proteus Core - Logitech G710+ Keyboard - Nzxt Hue - Windows 10