Do you think that Nvidia should recall 970's? (and Nvidia's response)

Doughnutnator

Every one seems to be going round in bloody circles with the exact same arguments here... I bought the 970; an MSI one and I paid for 4GB of RAM. Yes the card performs amazingly, NOW. But I paid for 4GB because I plan to keep this card for a while and a get surround setup, if I paid for 4GB I want 4GB. I am not so bothered that I'd return it, but Nvidia's mentality and way they have dealt with this is so wrong. They should have made sure the 2 departments worked together, they should acknowledge they are to blame and take responsibility rather than this 'oh well it performs better anyway'. Tough shit, it;'s false advertisement; own up to your mistakes and take it on the chin.

I purchased a MSI GTX 970 Golden and sold my reference 780ti. I realize they are on par performance wise and it was truly a side grade. However, I recently switched cases (full tower to mid tower) and the 780ti was getting loud and into the high 70s temperature wise. I chose the 970 for the silence and lower temperature, but also for the slight increase in vram. I actually did see an increase in performance in BF4 (which was a bonus) and the card is absolutely silent and has never gone past 66 degrees. I was so happy with the performance that I got a 1440p monitor and it rocks BF4 and DOS is absolutely gorgeous and smooth. I am torn, I love the card, but I feel ripped off that the vram is "hobbled" and can't seem to think that I have lost a year or so of future use with this card, though it is hard to quantify.

:|

(also posted in another forum)

10700 |MSI Z 490 Gaming Edge|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|EVGA P2 750|32 GSkill Sniper X DDR4 3200|Fractal Meshify S2|Kraken X53|LG 34GN 850B

Every one seems to be going round in bloody circles with the exact same arguments here... I bought the 970; an MSI one and I paid for 4GB of RAM. Yes the card performs amazingly, NOW. But I paid for 4GB because I plan to keep this card for a while and a get surround setup, if I paid for 4GB I want 4GB. I am not so bothered that I'd return it, but Nvidia's mentality and way they have dealt with this is so wrong. They should have made sure the 2 departments worked together, they should acknowledge they are to blame and take responsibility rather than this 'oh well it performs better anyway'. Tough shit, it;'s false advertisement; own up to your mistakes and take it on the chin.

You're right. Now all we have to do is wait for an official response from Nvidia...

people knew how the card would perform and bought the card following their research. I will bet not more than 10% of everybody who is butthurt actually knew what ROPS are.

Recalling would cost tons of money and nvidia should rather spend their money on future products and not giving customers money for something that still works, very well actually and they didn't know that that supposedly is the issue

also if they had said at the beginning it's a 56ROPS card the same amount of people would have bought the card at the same price

I purchased a MSI GTX 970 Golden and sold my reference 780ti. I realize they are on par performance wise and it was truly a side grade. However, I recently switched cases (full tower to mid tower) and the 780ti was getting loud and into the high 70s temperature wise. I chose the 970 for the silence and lower temperature, but also for the slight increase in vram. I actually did see an increase in performance in BF4 (which was a bonus) and the card is absolutely silent and has never gone past 66 degrees. I was so happy with the performance that I got a 1440p monitor and it rocks BF4 and DOS is absolutely gorgeous and smooth. I am torn, I love the card, but I feel ripped off that the vram is "hobbled" and can't seem to think that I have lost a year or so of future use with this card, though it is hard to quantify.

This is how I feel too. The reason I hate the 960 so is because it's so VRAM gimped and I hate the idea of playing games on medium the day I buy a $200+ card when AMD offers better options at the same price without that flaw. So naturally I hate having a second class partition eating away 0.5GB of my 4GB VRAM. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to have expected a flat memory model just like everyone else did, but try telling that to people who scream benchmarks are the only thing that matters (were they saying that with the 94*C R9 290/290x reference cards? I doubt it).

once again there doesn't seem to be a real issue for you with the card. this idea of a recall or even just feeling ripped off was planted into your head and does not reflect your opinion that shouldn't change since the card performs as good as it did on day one and you didn't notice that it supposedly throttles at higher Vram usage

Nobody is going to get a free game or refund geeze. Maybe next time wait a few months after a pc component is released before buying or preordering stuff.

once again there doesn't seem to be a real issue for you with the card. this idea of a recall or even just feeling ripped off was planted into your head and does not reflect your opinion that shouldn't change since the card performs as good as it did on day one and you didn't notice that it supposedly throttles at higher Vram usage

It does perform as expected with the games I play, that has not changed. The games and settings I play at don't go over the 3.3 to 3.5 gigs of vram usage, so I have not experienced some of the performance issues that others have.  What somewhat bothers me is that one of the reasons I went from a 780ti was to get that extra gig of ram and stretch some higher performance out of games that will start to use more then 3 gigs.  If I was aware of the 3.5 fast plus 0.5 slow vram, I might not have chosen this card, but I can't say for sure.

10700 |MSI Z 490 Gaming Edge|EVGA RTX 2080 ti FTW 3 Ultra|EVGA P2 750|32 GSkill Sniper X DDR4 3200|Fractal Meshify S2|Kraken X53|LG 34GN 850B

Calling them back, changing the firmware and maybe the PCB and sending it to the customer again is way to crazy. I'd like to see them offer refunds and if the customer decides to keep it since it doesn't affect him in his kind of usage they should give him a free game like FC4, ACU or what ever else is reasonable. That would be fair for all parties imho :)

Bitfenix Phenom M White | ASUS RoG Maximus VIII Gene | Intel i7 6700K @4.6GHz | HyperX Savage 2800MHz CL14 DDR4 16GB | EVGA GTX1080 SC | Intel 750 Series PCIe SSD 400GB | EVGA SuperNova G2 550W | Windows 10 Professional x64 | Logitech G900, Corsair K70 RGB MXbrown O-ringed, BeyerDynamic DT880 (600 Ω) on Fiio E10K & Samson Meteor | Dell U2715H 27", Samsung SyncMaster P2450H 24", Samsung SyncMaster 931BF 19" | DIY Ambilight

I just see them saying "sorry, it's due to how the cards were built, it does have 4GB of VRAM, so you either take, or leave it. Don't like it? Buy a 980."

But from what I have personally seen, the performance drops in that area are kind of scaled well against the 980 with only having a few FPS lower in that area. And the only video proving the stuttering issues i've seen has been with someone running them in SLI, where some games with bad SLI optimization can cause that anyway regardless of the cards. I don't know, i'm still up in the air about how I feel about it. I've got a 980 on the way as it is, so it doesn't really affect me, and as such is not my place to say how it should be handled.

CPU: i7 7700k @ 4.9GHz Cooling: NZXT Kraken X62 RAM: 16 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB GPU: Sapphire Nitro R9 390 Case:Phanteks Evolv TG

Calling them back, changing the firmware and maybe the PCB and sending it to the customer again is way to crazy. I'd like to see them offer refunds and if the customer decides to keep it since it doesn't affect him in his kind of usage they should give him a free game like FC4, ACU or what ever else is reasonable. That would be fair for all parties imho :)

I think they should man up and publicly say "We fucked up and we want to make it up to the consumers" just like what Ubisoft did with FC4 and ACU. Ubisoft offered free expansions when they realized the games were horribly unoptimized for non-beta usage.  

Nvidia should offer the same thing by sending users that can prove they purchased a GTX 970 with a $50 prepaid VISA card in addition to $50 in game credit for either Steam or any other game distribution platform of the users choosing.

When a company drops the ball they should be held liable, this is not the dotcom boom where no one knew exactly where things will go. Failures during the dotcom boom is somewhat acceptable since almost everything was a shot in the dark. Its far different now, Nvidia knew very clearly that they messed up, but chose to reveal the mistake after they made back a significant amount of money from uninformed consumers.

tl.dr

Nvidia fucked up and should compensate.

Main Rig

**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K @ Stock]**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i] **Motherboard** | [ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory] **Storage** | [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]

**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM] **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE]

**Case** | [Phanteks Enthoo Pro] **Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+]

Main Rig PC Partpicker  

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/DnKZxr |

Man, I leave for a few hours, and now I'm 150 notifications behind.

::sadface::

Nice to see a poll now though!

Was off for a night and came back to 438 posts. Glad to see the community in force though. :D

Main Rig

**CPU** | [Intel Core i7-4790K @ Stock]**CPU Cooler** | [Corsair H100i] **Motherboard** | [ASRock Z97 EXTREME6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard]

**Memory** | [G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory] **Storage** | [Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive]

**Storage** | [Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM] **Video Card** | [Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE]

**Case** | [Phanteks Enthoo Pro] **Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+]

Main Rig PC Partpicker  

| https://pcpartpicker.com/b/DnKZxr |

As it was a selling point of the card to enthusiasts like us then I think they have to do something, either offer to give people a new card with the true capabilities, do mail in updates, or give a partial refund. If they do nothing I can see a very big law suit heading in their direction.

Yes, but this is today. Imagine the drop in about 6 months. Or 1 year. There are people who bought this card to last over 3 years. 

Did you miss the part where a guy posted videos of his card running smoothely using 3.8 GB of VRAM?

I was asking if it really mattered, if the drivers pulled some magic and games with 4GB VRAM usage ran fine. (hypothetical)

As it was a selling point of the card to enthusiasts like us then I think they have to do something, either offer to give people a new card with the true capabilities, do mail in updates, or give a partial refund. If they do nothing I can see a very big law suit heading in their direction.

A law suit would be pointless. If anything it would be a class action lawsuit and the lawyers are going to make so much money off the morons who sign the lawsuit.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

A law suit would be pointless. If anything it would be a class action lawsuit and the lawyers are going to make so much money off the morons who sign the lawsuit.

You know some idiot is going to do it. 

Give current owners the choice of return for full refund, or compensation somewhere in the $ 30 - $ 50 range.

Options I would be satisfied with.

1. Free repair and replacement of 970s including shipping costs and everything and a free game voucher.  

While I would hate waiting X number of weeks for my new 970 At least all 4GBs would be worth it and the free game would be accommodating the inconvenience.

2. 50$ return and a free game voucher as apology for the marketing fuck up.

If NVIDIA can't or won't provide a fix or solution for the last 500MBs of VRAM, I think this could be an easy settlement for everyone, 50$ off the price for the last 500MBs of useless VRAM, and a free game. (GTAV for free please. )  

You know some idiot is going to do it. 

lol. It can't be helped anymore. I guess we will have to see what Nvidia will do next.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I really am irritated by this as I was planning to SLI my cards and upgrade to multiple 1440p monitors in the near future,with newer games bound to use more vram I guess I just might upgrade to a "titan x"? whatever they're calling it....after more than 4 months of the cards release, I think current card owners should have an option to upgrade to a 980 for a discounted price honestly

This story is hilarious. It would be like if someone bought a corvette and loved it because it was a great performing sports car for the money and then someone told them it doesn't actually make 650HP but instead 600HP so the owner demands a refund.

I get everyone's point that the card is ever so slightly different than described but the reason why the 970 got so much popularity is because of how well it performs. The benchmarks of the card on 1080p, 4K etc are still the exact same as what you've seen in reviews. Nothing has changed.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

This story is hilarious. It would be like if someone bought a corvette and loved it because it was a great performing sports car for the money and then someone told them it doesn't actually make 650HP but instead 600HP so the owner demands a refund.

I get everyone's point that the card is ever so slightly different than described but the reason why the 970 got so much popularity is because of how well it performs. Most of the people complaining are probably on 1080P anyway.

It's more like buying a Corvette that was supposed to have a V8 but you only got a motor that hit on 7 cylinders. You paid for a dam V8 and why should you not have one ?

It's more like buying a Corvette that was supposed to have a V8 but you only got a motor that hit on 7 cylinders. You paid for a dam V8 and why should you not have one ?

Having a different or cut-down engine would be equivalent to having a different GPU core which definitely would warrant an outcry such as this but that's not even close to being the case. A HUGE majority of people buying these cards were not debating whether or not they should buy it based on all the small details (ROPS etc) but were instead looking at how well it performs for the money which is why i feel most of these people don't have a right to complain because guess what? It still performs the same as it did and still costs the same amount of money.

Intel i7 3770K [] Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 [] MSI R9 290X 4GB [] 16GB  G.SKILL 2133Mhz [] Crucial MX100 256GB [] WD Black 1TB [] XFX Pro 850W [] Fractal Define R3 [] Func MS-3 R2 [] Corsair K60 [] 

Having a different or cut-down engine would be equivalent to having a different GPU core which definitely would warrant an outcry such as this but that's not even close to being the case here.

No you paid for a suckin V8 and now when you are on the race track you are going to lose cause you are down syndrome ... wrapped in a fancy package LOL.