Do you think that Nvidia should recall 970's? (and Nvidia's response)

Doughnutnator

As someone who spent $830 on gtx 970s (415 per card), no. I really don't. They perform extremely well and I've had no problems, even when using more than 3.5 GB of vram.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

But you'll be taking a chance it isn't exactly what you paid for!

You take a chance every time you buy any major components. I took a chance when i bought my reference 290. I had to RMA 3 of them in 2 months before i got one that worked properly. Thats all part of the game unfortunately. 

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

So who's taking bets on the next WAN show the boys will be like "oh, internet fanboys freaking out about nothing", "no big deal", "doesn't change the 970 is a great card, who cares", etc etc.

My question to them would be: "Does a car drive better when you didn't pay for it or when you did?" The answer is sure the hell does when its free.

Intel i7-5820K@4.5Ghz // Corsair Hydro H80i // ASUS X99 Deluxe // G.SKILL Ribjaws 4 DDR4 16GB@2400MHz 13-13-13-35 // Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming // Creative Sound Blaster Z // Bose Companion 3 II // Samsung 850 Pro 256GB // Corsair AX750

Actually if you bought a GPU based on specs you would have bought a 290x because it has 64ROPs and 4 or 8GB of vram.

If you obught a GPU only because it has 4GB of vram then why didnt you just go buy a 4GB 760? lol

Wow you're just a tad bit arrogant. I bought the GTX 970 for spec advertised, but they failed to deliver on said specs, i didn't want 8gb, i wanted 4 gb. I don't get how it's hard to understand that Nividia did the customer wrong. I think you're so defensive over the 970 is because you own one, and you don't want to think of it being the piece of trash, so you act like it's still the best card, and everything is okay. Pathetic. Your card is trash buddy, you just don't push it.

The GTX 760 4gb isn't as fast as a 4gb GTX 970, pretty easy to understand.

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

So who's taking bets on the next WAN show the boys will be like "oh, internet fanboys freaking out about nothing", "no big deal", "doesn't change the 970 is a great card, who cares", etc etc.

My question to them would be: "Does a car drive fine when you didn't pay for it?" It sure the hell does.

The last WAN show both Linus and Luke seemed to think it was pretty significant.

The last WAN show both Linus and Luke seemed to think it was pretty significant.

Linus even shared this topic on his FB page :P

the last 512MB of memory was separate, and was much slower. It's not exactly the same scenario because the 660/660Ti 2GB cards had a 192bit bus, which meant the cards should have been 1.5GB, but they tacked on the extra 512MB to keep up with AMD's 7850/7870 and make it appear they had equal memory performance and size.

I own an MSI 970 and you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands, I ignore marketing spin and focus on real world performance.

I play old games such as GTA SAMP and iRacing at 60 FPS at Ultra 5k (SoftTH Video wall) with high to max setting running 2x or 4x AA and AF.

Even games like Skyrim are playable at 5k on medium settings.

If nVidia want to give me a free game cool other wise meh, This card blew my expectations away and I know it will serve me for many years.

Right or wrong the card is amazing and even with this I will still continue to recommend the GTX 970

How

How many card have you had?

I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends.

~Abraham Lincoln

In times when we are on the brink of destruction, war, and loosing ourselves, let's remember a basic fundamental element of love, forgiveness, and understanding; God bless!

Well, I guess we'll see how their next product sells based off this and how good people's memories are.

Yeah which is Titan 2 and they'll fly off the shelves.

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

If it performs better than the competition for the right price people will still buy it.

It does perform great specially on 1080p (which I had first hand experience) but I think that the issue here is the trustworthiness of company. The performance is great and you can argue the "typo" of the specs doesn't change a thing or doesn't matter but the thing is if we let them get away with it, it could set a precedent to other tech giants(as well as with nvidia) that they might get away with much more in the future. Look at the video game industry, those video game publisher used to released finished and amazing video games in the past but look at the kind of state games that are being released today. It didn't happened overnight but slowly and gradually with the help of the complacency of the consumer that lead to the state the video game industry is in today.

This kind of backlash is I think healthy for the tech industry. It will keep the tech giants in check and will think twice on messing with their valued consumer.

To be fair though, I don't think a recall is needed. The performance is at a certain extent is as advertised. Maybe a rebate or discount or a certain amount of refund or maybe a gift coupon on steam should be suffice.

As someone who bought two 970 G1 Gaming I feel somewhat strange about this "bug".

I think it is awful that nvidia "didn´t notice" that they were delivering the wrong Marketing materials. And I´m mad about them as a company because we all were imformed the wrong way.

http://youtu.be/Eqz4tDM6Wl8?t=50s

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8935/geforce-gtx-970-correcting-the-specs-exploring-memory-allocation

So am I going to returm my card? No it throws enough Frames at my 1080p Monitor. But I think I´m going on to the red Team next time around not because more heat in my case is so awesome, just because no company should mess with their cosutmers..

This is my first Nvidia card and has been on the red team ever since, I was even rocking 2x R9 280x before I decided to switch teams (even though I know its a downgrade). Though I'd felt some buyers remorse after hearing this issue mainly from the disappointment that I felt for Nvidia as a compay (since I was always on the red side due to their competitive price, I wanted to check out the other side of the fence and this happened :( ) but the gpu is still a great performer that is priced accordingly instead of the "best bang for the buck gpu". :)

I love free stuff.

GTX 970 with pseudo 4gb vram at pseudo 224gb/s at pseudo  256-bit with 56 ROPs (corrected from 64) and 1.75mb L2 cache (corrected from 2mb).

Problem "solved" for me.

Had made the order for an Asus GTX 970 STRIX yesterday and today called the store and talked about this problem. 

They gave me a 20% off in an Asus GTX 980 STRIX.  

So I got that going for me, which is nice. 

In fact, I think that the GTX 970 just dropped from a "sweet spot" to a regular price for what it delivers. What is still sad. 

In fact, I think that the GTX 970 just dropped from a "sweet spot" to a regular price for what it delivers. What is still sad.

It's fine in 99% of games. The only game it's having issues in is shadows of mordor with everything turned up. I don't see a problem here. Still beats down the 290X

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

Problem "solved" for me.

Had made the order for an Asus GTX 970 STRIX yesterday and today called the store and talked about this problem. 

Nice! I would like a 980 but didn't had the budget at the time I bought my 970 and I was itching to get my hands on one of the 900 series gpu. xD

I love free stuff.

GTX 970 with pseudo 4gb vram at pseudo 224gb/s at pseudo  256-bit with 56 ROPs (corrected from 64) and 1.75mb L2 cache (corrected from 2mb).

Problem "solved" for me.

That was nice of them.

Problem "solved" for me.

Wow. That's a hell of a discount. 

Should they go as far as recalling them? Not imo. Maybe give them (the people that brought it) a game or $50 worth of steam credit as well as a percentage off of their next purchase of an Nvidia product (if they chose to buy an Nvidia product again).

If it was something serious then I'd say yeah but it's not like they've started blowing up because of a piece of hardware on the card. Besides, they still perform as good as they did a launch. The fact that this wasn't picked up my reviewers at launch tells me that it's not a huge problem (or that reviewers aren't doing their job properly) but honestly... If you buy into new tech early on then you should be well aware of the risks you take. 

Wait, you bought a GM204 chip that was not a 980 and you didn't realize that it was purposely held back?

What did you think the differences were between the 970 and 980?

Not a lot of them, at least initially, are purposedly held back. A lot of the 970's are just 980's that couldn't pass the binning process.

If the specs would be what they initially were, the GTX 970 would just be a GTX 980 with less texture units and less GPU cores. Meaning that they'd scale fairly favorably in SLI.

Also, some non-gaming uses might face issues or be limited earlier due to the RAM allocation being what it is. For some uses the amount of RAM on the GPU puts a hard limit on what you can actually do, so missing 512mb of memory or having it slower / unusable for larger textures and whatnot and can actually be a dealbreaker.

It's still an okay card, it performs just like it did before, but especially for SLI users this is like a kick in the teeth. I would say that refunds should apply should users want them, "happy" GTX 970 users can keep their cards and continue as normal. nVidia might be to differ, like they did with their mismatched laptop GPU TDPs that caused huge issues and required a lawsuit before they admitted that something was wrong.

Whether if this is urgent enough for a lawsuit is another thing, but there have been cases like this before, i.e Intel having to refund a bit for false advertising.

I've been following this on Overclock.net, and in the 80+ pages of the thread I've read, I haven't seen any actual proof that this causes stuttering or any real issues. Some guy posted a bunch of videos showing shadow of mordor running, using 3.8GB of memory, without stuttering.

If you can't tell that there's an actual problem in games, you're basically just complaining that some numbers aren't high enough.

i payed for 4gb ram so i want 4gb of usable ram. but if nvidia gives me a free game code i can forgive them  ;)

• CPU                         AMD FX8120 @4.3 ghz
  • Motherboard          asus m5a99fx pro R2.0
  • RAM                        16 gb corsair 1600mhz
  • GPU                         msi gtx 970
  • Case                        Cooler master storm trooper
  • Storage                   crucial mx100 256GB and a 2tb seagate
  • PSU                         Corsair RM 850
  • Display(s)               2x 24 inch 1080p60 monitors
  • Cooling                   cooler master evo 212 .and 5 case fans
  • Keyboard                cooler master Quick fire ultimate (brown switches)
  • Mouse                     Logitech g9x
  • Sound                     logitech z906 and turtle beach x12
  • Operating System  win7 64bit ultimate

Meh, it could be a different company for a different reason and stock would still drop. It's natural.

i payed for 4gb ram so i want 4gb of usable ram. but if nvidia gives me a free game code i can forgive them  ;)

We did pay for 4GB of usable ram. The issue is that specs were misrepresented.

Wow you're just a tad bit arrogant. I bought the GTX 970 for spec advertised, but they failed to deliver on said specs, i didn't want 8gb, i wanted 4 gb. I don't get how it's hard to understand that Nividia did the customer wrong. I think you're so defensive over the 970 is because you own one, and you don't want to think of it being the piece of trash, so you act like it's still the best card, and everything is okay. Pathetic. Your card is trash buddy, you just don't push it.

The GTX 760 4gb isn't as fast as a 4gb GTX 970, pretty easy to understand.

I dont have a 970, I have a GTX770

If someone told me it only had 4 cuda cores instead of the advertised 1536 I wouldn't give a fuck because it performs like I want it to, just like the benchmarks showed before I bought it.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020