GTX 960 vs R9 280

JorenBus

This might seem silly, I know the 280 is better, but it's just so weird that a 3 year old card is better than a card released 2 days ago, and costs even less...

Is it actually a wise thing to do to buy a 3 year old card?

It will be relevant for years to come.  Software is tailored to the hardware.  Any current game can be made to run like crap, but there is not much of a market for games that run well on 5%-8% of PC's.  The R9 280 is a great card.  Hell, grab a 290 if you find a good deal:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121842&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

It will be relevant for years to come.  Software is tailored to the hardware.  Any current game can be made to run like crap, but there is not much of a market for games that run well on 5%-8% of PC's.  The R9 280 is a great card.  Hell, grab a 290 if you find a good deal:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121842&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Tell that to ubisoft xD

I still think the 280 is relevant because it will support th new standard dx 12.

You'll definitely appreciate the extra vram in the 280 for games like shadow of mordor, bf4 and some of the newer games coming out this year. I would expect some upcoming AAA titles like batman and GTA v to use over 2 gigs

CPU -AMD R5 2600X @ 4.15 GHz / RAM - 2x8Gb GSkill Ripjaws 3000 MHz/ MB- Asus Crosshair VII Hero X470/  GPU- MSI Gaming X GTX 1080/ CPU Cooler - Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3/ PSU - Seasonic G-series 550W/ Case - NZXT H440 (Black/Red)/ SSD - Crucial MX300 500GB/ Storage - WD Caviar Blue 1TB/ Keyboard - Corsair Vengeance K70 w/ Red switches/ Mouse - Logitech g900/ Display - 27" Benq GW2765 1440p display/ Audio - Sennheiser HD 558 and Logitech z323 speakers

Ok, everyone thanks for their opinion!

You could say that I made a pretty popular topic here  :D

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Got cocky after the 970.

That has to be the answer ... but its a huge blunder if you ask me

i5 4670k @4.2ghz / MSI Z87 G45 / EVGA GTX 960 SSC / Samsung  840 EVo SSD / WD Green 1tb HDD / Corsair H75 / Corsair Obsidian 750D / Corsair CS750M

That has to be the answer ... but its a huge blunder if you ask me

Nah, manufacturing process cost and aggressive market value assessment. 

It has worked for them before, why not try it again.  I am amazed at the 960's recommended in builds.

There is a troll around here saying amd drivers are crap.

Thats his argument.

LOL

When you first got your 270X/ and AMD card, and you plugged it in for the first time and got AMD catalyst, did you have the issue where it automatically under/over-scanned your computer and made it so the image did not fit your monitor?

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights"

When you first got your 270X/ and AMD card, and you plugged it in for the first time and got AMD catalyst, did you have the issue where it automatically under/over-scanned your computer and made it so the image did not fit your monitor?

Yes for my 7950. Need to manually adjust the over/underscan option or download this Omega driver with HDMI scaling fix.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU-5001.aspx

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Yes for my 7950. Need to manually adjust the over/underscan option or download this Omega driver with HDMI scaling fix.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-articles/Pages/GPU-5001.aspx

I got it fixed by messing with settings, or sometimes switching from HDMI to DVI fixed it. It was just a pain to have to deal with all of the 3 times I've dealt with AMD graphics after installation.

"We hold these truths to be self evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights"

I got it fixed by messing with settings, or sometimes switching from HDMI to DVI fixed it. It was just a pain to have to deal with all of the 3 times I've dealt with AMD graphics after installation.

I just need to adjust the overscan slider to 0 in CCC Scaling Options to fix it.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Lmao the r9 285 and gtx 960 are both overpriced. The r9 280 can be had for cheaper and performs similar but it has an extra GB of vram and is a very good overclocker.

Seems like I started a war here  :D

That unfortunately happens in most AMD vs. nVidia threads.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Those 15 people who actually voted for the 960... May God have mercy on your souls.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Oh well I already know which one I'll get so it doesn't matter  :)

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

That never happened for me honestly.

That never happened for me honestly.

Are u using DVI cable?

960 performs as well as a 770 which is faster than a 280?

When overclocked

It loses

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

which seems to be happening quick 2GB of Vram is not enough a random game like mordor shows up proving that 2gb is not enought at 1080p

280 has 3gb vraam

Sapphire usually makes 4gb vram ones

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

which seems to be happening quick 2GB of Vram is not enough a random game like mordor shows up proving that 2gb is not enought at 1080p

Dude dont worry if you OC the memory enough it will grow from 2 GB into 3.

/sarcasm