GTX 960 vs R9 280

JorenBus

No its free.

can you link me?

Processor i5 4440 Graphics Card GTX 980ti Motherboard MSI B85M-G43 Memory 8GB Storage 1TB HDD Power Supply XFX TS 750W Case Fractal Design Core 1300

So the fps drop isnt major?

Try OBS with hardware x264 support.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

So my mobo (Acer H57M01) and PSU (Corsair VS550) will be able to use this card, am I right?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

280 ? yes

Whats your cpu op btw?

i7 860 2.80GHz

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

Ok, great, I'll go for the 280 then. I hope Club3D is a decent brand?

I wouldnt touch AMD for the sole fact that their drivers are garbage 

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

According to pcplab.pl, there is supposed to be 4GB version of the 960 in March.

http://pclab.pl/news61604.html

inno582.jpg

I hope it doesnt cost 260 bucks , because at that price the 290 is gonna rape it.

I wouldnt touch AMD for the sole fact that their drivers are garbage 

It's not 2007 anymore. Stop repeating what you've read on a blogpost that's over 5 years old.

Huh, would you look at that. Not to mention this is a 1080p mid-range card, nothing more. It is not meant to max out games or play at 1440p+. It works for what it meant to do, and does it well.

Next I'll hear that the benchmarks are lies.

YOU were arguing the case that a 960 is as fast as a 770, that's what we were discussing. And that's not true, every single benchmark you just pointed out shows the opposite. You also can't just compare an R9 280 to a 7950, the R9 280 was clocked higher out of the box and therefore performs a bit better. And even if it is slightly worse than a 960, it's cheaper (by a considerable amount) and has 50% more VRAM, making a dual GPU setup somewhat viable in the future (and no, SLI 960s are not a viable choice) even if you were to upgrade to 1440p or something similar. It is a solid choice, it is the more well-rounded choice. Why would you choose a GPU that gets 5 more fps at certain settings but flat-out can't turn on certain settings because it's limited by its VRAM? It doesn't make any sense, the 960 doesn't perform particularly well in its price-bracket and it's also severely lacking in terms of VRAM. The only thing it's got oging for it is power consumption (nobody cares on a desktop) and Nvidia specific features.

It's not 2007 anymore. Stop repeating what you've read on a blogpost that's over 5 years old.

I have been using amd gpus for 5 years and the driver support is solid.

ITs not as good as nvidia but its not garbage by any means.

Avoid them if possible.

Alright, should I go for the MSI then for €17 extra?

Ok, great, I'll go for the 280 then. I hope Club3D is a decent brand?

TTL from OC3D seems to like Club3D. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

TTL from OC3D seems to like Club3D. 

I'll see which one I'll get, either the MSI or the Club3D. There won't be a huge difference I guess so...

With an r9 280 being sub-$200, how is there even a conversation?  Even with the benchmarks in favor of the 960, there is no way it is worth $50 more, let alone more.  It's performance is not even good.  The R9 280 is a 3 year old design.

With an r9 280 being sub-$200, how is there even a conversation?  Even with the benchmarks in favor of the 960, there is no way it is worth $50 more, let alone more.  It's performance is not even good.  The R9 280 is a 3 year old design.

There is a troll around here saying amd drivers are crap.

Thats his argument.

LOL

Yeah I read that.  6 years of AMD, and I can't recall a driver issue.  I do remember my nVidia driver issues though... that was so long ago.

@zappian

This might seem silly, I know the 280 is better, but it's just so weird that a 3 year old card is better than a card released 2 days ago, and costs even less...

Is it actually a wise thing to do to buy a 3 year old card?

Yeah I read that.  6 years of AMD, and I can't recall a driver issue.  I do remember my nVidia driver issues though... that was so long ago.

@zappian

5 years myself with amd gpus.

I think we know what we are talking about.

Is it actually a wise thing to do to buy a 3 year old card?

It supports dx12 , why not.