GTX 960 vs R9 280

JorenBus

I'm not cherrypicking anything here, look at any of the games in that review, the 960 is always behind the 770. If you want to argue your point then show us some benchmarks , shouldn't be too hard when you've seen "dozens" of them.

You chose the one game where the 960 is doing bad when I show you similar benchmarks done by reputable sources showing the card performing at 770 speeds. How is this hard.

I tested 3 games with 2 GB vram , at ultra they used 1.7 -1.9 vram

The games were dragon age insquistion , far cry 4 , ground zeroes.

Now time for a pop quizz .

Is vram usage gonna go :

A- Up in future games.

B- Gonna be lower or stay the same in future games.

If games already use almost 2 GB of vram a 2 GB card isnt future proof.

You are the one thats biased here .

I vote that the OP saves 30 bucks and gets a 280x.

Oh my god, don't turn settings even more up. So hard.  -_-

R9 280. Performs the same as a 960 (as seen by posted benchmarks) but has 3GB of vRAM.

Spoiler

Samung Tab S 8.4

LOL at ignoring benchmarks , what a fanboy thing to do.

Yes im such a fanboy thats why theres a R9 280X in my system right now... :/ Do you really think that the would fucking bottleneck their own card with the memory bus? Thats outright ridiculous if theres a bottleneck its the amount of ram not the bus width.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Well i've heard that you can OC the 280 to be almost as good as a 280x?

Also, a Corsair VS550 will be able to handle that card, right?

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

You chose the one game where the 960 is doing bad when I show you similar benchmarks done by reputable sources showing the card performing at 770 speeds. How is this hard.

Typical fanboy response , what about the OP gets a decent card like the 280 or 280x instead of a the toy that the 960 is and turns up the filters all he wants because he can.

You can play at reduced settings , or get a decent card with a decent amount of vram .

Geez no wonder no one agrees with you and the 280 has way more votes.

Well i've heard that you can OC the 280 to be almost as good as a 280x?

Also, a Corsair VS550 will be able to handle that card, right?

That would be a monster OC , the difference between a 280 and a 280x inst the same as a 270 and a 270x OP.

Your psu will be fine.

No, in every single game in that article the 960 performed worse. I literally picked a random one. You provided a Tom's Hardware benchmark, I personally don't count them as being "reputable" I'd trust guru3d over them any day of the week.

Everyone arguing about the 128bit mem bus on the gtx 960 should take a quick look at this article. Im not saying the GTX 960 is a great card by any means but the memory bus is the least of its problems.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/3

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Everyone arguing about the 128bit mem bus on the gtx 960 should take a quick look at this article. Im not saying the GTX 960 is a great card by any means but the memory bus is the least of its problems.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8526/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-review/3

We all know about delta colour compression, but that doesn't change the fact that overall bandwidth will be lower compared to the 980 or 970, and those cards already aren't too hot for high res gaming. The 960 is a nice little 1080p and lower card, but it can't really compete with an R9 280 or 280x if they're priced similarly.

280, mainly because it's cheaper, perform just as good out of the box and even when both overclocked and most importantly the extra VRAM. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Why do you always end up in the barrel side of a fanboy war? Like the countless rants you have about SSDs not being useful. Damn, you always pick the wrong side it seems. And your advice with buying a nVidia GPU for more is, turn down the settings? Get your shit together.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

The 280 is actually €40 cheaper than the 960 here in Europe

Why do you always end up in the barrel side of a fanboy war? Like the countless rants you have about SSDs not being useful. Damn, you always pick the wrong side it seems. And your advice with buying a nVidia GPU for more is, turn down the settings? Get your shit together.

Exactly what fucking argument is that?

Huh guys the 260x is better than the 270x if your play the games at 640x400 on the 260x and turn down the settings.

Acccording to his logic.

I have nothing against nvidia , i have recommended and praised the 970 in this forum but goddamnit i wont support nvidia when it fucks ups 

and nvidia fucked up with this card.

Exactly what fucking argument is that?

Huh guys the 260x is better than the 270x if your play the games at 640x400 on the 260x and turn down the settings.

Acccording to his logic.

I have nothing against nvidia , i have recommended and praised the 970 in this forum but goddamnit i wont support nvidia when it fucks ups 

and nvidia fucked up with this card.

The guy is known to be a bit irritating. I can get a 280 in Finland for 208€ and a 960 is 250€, so it's not like it is only one location it is more expensive.

REMEMBER TO QUOTE SO I GET A NOTIFCATION! Add me on Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Shroomster/ Review(s) more to come

That would be a monster OC , the difference between a 280 and a 280x inst the same as a 270 and a 270x OP.

Your psu will be fine.

The difference between a 280 and a 280x is pretty minimalistic if the 280 OCs at all. I had a HD7970 and a 7950 and the performance was pretty much the same.

The difference between a 280 and a 280x is pretty minimalistic if the 280 OCs at all. I had a HD7970 and a 7950 and the performance was pretty much the same.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1332?vs=1041

5 fps average i guess , a 150 mhz OC would put them at the same level.

Just to be sure, the 280 will fit in my PC, right?

I have an i7 860, 550Watt PSU and 6GB RAM.

How can I be sure that card will fit in my PC, with all the connections and such?

Edit: my mobo is made by Acer and the number is H57M01

CPU: Core i5 4690k                                                   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97M                     RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury Red                             

GPU: RX 580                                                             Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB                  PSU: Seasonic M12II Evo 520W

Case: NZXT S340 red/black                                      Case lighting: NZXT Hue+                          Mouse: Logitech G502

Cooling: Cooler Master Hyper212 Evo                     Operating system: Windows 10 64-bit

The guy is known to be a bit irritating. I can get a 280 in Finland for 208€ and a 960 is 250€, so it's not like it is only one location it is more expensive.

Same here. A good R9 280 can be had for 180€ while the absolute cheapest 960 is 200€. If you want a 960 with a nice aftermarket cooler that'll be 230€ - 260€. R9 290s with a good aftermarket cooler are ~270€. It's not priced competitively at all.

Also, good to know that I don't need to waste my time with him.

The R9 280 and GTX 960 are more or less equal in performance in most games, with the exception being ones heavily limited by VRAM. Considering that, and the fact that power consumption of mid-range cards is a pointless comparison for most of us, I'd still lean toward the R9 280.

If this is for BF4, that really underscores the R9 280 as a better choice. AMD cards tend to beat Nvidia's equivalents in that game (without even considering Mantle) due to AMD sponsorship. A 280 would perform very well in that game at 1080p.

Just to be sure, the 280 will fit in my PC, right?

I have an i7 860, 550Watt PSU and 6GB RAM.

How can I be sure that card will fit in my PC, with all the connections and such?

It either uses 2 6-pin power connectors or 1 6-pin and 1 8-pin connector. Those are your standard power connectors that you plug into your GPU. If you tell us the exact model of your power supply we can tell you whether it has all the required cables. And even if it doesn't, the GPU usually comes with molex to 6-pin adapters.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1332?vs=1041

5 fps average i guess , a 150 mhz OC would put them at the same level.

Not to mention that the 280 stock clock is usually 100mhz lower compare to 280x so that make the 280 actually perform really close to the 280x clock/clock. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Not to mention that the 280 stock clock is usually 100mhz lower compare to 280x so that make the 280 actually perform really close to the 280x clock/clock. 

Fuck i should have bought a 280 instead of this shitty 270x i have.

Well no use crying over spilled milk  :unsure: