How to break news to a co-worker

ELSknutson
Go to solution Solved by ELSknutson,

WOOT i win lol 

I got him to change his mind 

once he seen my add he did a complete 180 lol 

I think i got him all gitty 

He now wants http://linustechtips.com/main/classifieds/item/1295-price-drop-pc-i7-4790k-asus-hero-mb-and-strix-970/

So I work for HP contractor repairing and installing HP computer.

So today I found out that the guy that takes in our work orders Is getting ready to buy a new gaming computer.

I thought cool hes going to build some sweet custom computer or something to that nature.

So I ask him what is he getting. he tells me a HP z230 Work station that's going to run him $1200.00 

The system specs are 

Intel Xeon E3

stock heat sink 

on board graphics 

8GB ddr3 

1TB HDD 

60GB ssd

and a 400W psu

(Note I said Gaming Computer)

after he told me that my heart sank. he also wants to upgrade the Ram so it has 32GB and it will also come with a warranty till 2020.

how should I go about teaching this guy what a gaming computer is with out crushing his hopes and dreams. 

This is like that commercial 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ0yD-9CDwI

If he is about to buy this, just tell him it sucks and he is getting ripped off.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

"Hey man the HP z230 Work station is not a gaming pc. If you wan't, i'll help put together a real gaming machine."

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

How about you tell him before he blows his budget?

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

he just went to lunch an I left him a lengthy Email explaining what a Gaming computer consists of

Then I explained to him that he works with computer technicians that work on computers all day, and that I would be glad to help him pick parts and help him build an actual gaming computer.

then I sent him the link to the forms and to Linus's, and Jays You tube channels. Plus linked hem the 2 computers I have posted in the classifieds.

It just makes me wonder if the rest of the world thinks like this guy does about computers.

It just makes me wonder if the rest of the world thinks like this guy does about computers.

they do,

I thought using the forum was bad on ios and Omg I'm testing android and it's even more painful....

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

they do,

I thought using the forum was bad on ios and Omg I'm testing android and it's even more painful....

COAR EYEZEVEN FUR MIINECRAFT BECOZ CPU HEVVY AND GTX 560TI FOR ULTAMATE SHAEEDERS

Sig under construction.

COAR EYEZEVEN FUR MIINECRAFT BECOZ CPU HEVVY AND GTX 560TI FOR ULTAMATE SHAEEDERS

yep, scene it a lot
Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

is there a Fast as possible or video that describes the difference between  Home Gaming and workstation PC's?

is there a Fast as possible or video that describes the difference between  Home Gaming and workstation PC's?

Closest there is:

Sig under construction.

Did you just say 1200 $?!?!?

[spoiler=shieeeet :D!]

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($60.98 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.88 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card  ($323.99 @ B&H)

Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($92.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit)  ($128.75 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1184.55

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-01-20 12:22 EST-0500

yes $1200.00 

Maybe tell him that you can build him something of equivalent gaming power for much less money and tell him how much less you could build a machine that would perform that well for.

Then suggest he spread the rest of the cost to make it much much faster and show him how he can do that?

Is someone trying to sell him that machine as a gaming PC?

How did he get the idea that that was a good deal?

Where's he getting his information from?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Maybe tell him that you can build him something of equivalent gaming power for much less money and tell him how much less you could build a machine that would perform that well for.

Then suggest he spread the rest of the cost to make it much much faster and show him how he can do that?

Is someone trying to sell him that machine as a gaming PC?

How did he get the idea that that was a good deal?

Where's he getting his information from?

We work for hp so i'm guessing he seen one of the workstations an assumed that it would be good for gaming 

We work for hp so i'm guessing he seen one of the workstations an assumed that it would be good for gaming 

Okay. As long as it's not a one of your sales people trying to talk him into it. That might mean you'd need to take action sooner rather than later to stop him making a really big mistake.

But if you really want to help him I'd do this...

tell him that you can build him something of equivalent gaming power for much less money and tell him how much less you could build a machine that would perform that well for.

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Okay. As long as it's not a one of your sales people trying to talk him into it. That might mean you'd need to take action sooner rather than later to stop him making a really big mistake.

But if you really want to help him I'd do this...

tell him that you can build him something of equivalent gaming power for much less money and tell him how much less you could build a machine that would perform that well for.

I did  but he seemed pretty contempt on buying it. I mean you can lead a horse to water.

I did  but he seemed pretty contempt on buying it. I mean you can lead a horse to water.

If it's in the store maybe you can show him a benchmark demo after hours or something.

Ultimately if the guy won't accept your help there's not much you can do. If you force the issue you might just make things awkward between you. Just keep it casual I guess.

Why don't you just slap his face and yell NO! THAT IS A BAD IDEA!

And then show him a PCpartpicker list that is much better

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Tell him straight up. "The PC you're planning to buy isn't going to be good for gaming". If he listens to you then tell him you can help him get something decent for his money. If he doesn't listen... Well, forget about it and move on, it's pointless trying to convince an idiot that wont at least hear what you have to say.

Why don't you just slap his face and yell NO! THAT IS A BAD IDEA!

And then show him a PCpartpicker list that is much better

That sounds good in theory but if he doesn't know the difference between a workstation and a Gaming PC I don't think showing him a bunch of parts is really going to help the issue 

The easiest way I like to explain it to people is say "well they make drag race cars for drag racing and tractor pull trucks for pulling tractors and nascars for nascar. It's the same with computers."

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

That sounds good in theory but if he doesn't know the difference between a workstation and a Gaming PC I don't think showing him a bunch of parts is really going to help the issue 

Explain to him that he will have a horrible gaming experience on server grade hardware without a dedicated graphics card, compared to an I7 gaming rig with one.

Yeah, you don't need an I7 for gaming, but you do if it's a "work station" computer as well.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Explain to him that he will have a horrible gaming experience on server grade hardware without a dedicated graphics card, compared to an I7 gaming rig with one.

Yeah, you don't need an I7 for gaming, but you do if it's a "work station" computer as well.

well he strictly wants a Gaming computer. I told him he only needed a 4690k and 16GB ram at most and that he would more then likely not use over 8GB