Displeased with Linus NN video

cesrai

they pay for their servers to run and to connect to the internet at a certain data rate on a business connection. I don't know if Netflix has a data cap, but they have to pay for bandwidth as well. Every supercomputer in the world which offers remote services has to pay for internet, including Amazon's Elastic Computing services.

That's different from what I'm saying, I know they have to pay for their bandwidth, my point is Netflix isn't using my bandwidth I'm using my bandwidth.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

That's different from what I'm saying, I know they have to pay for their bandwidth, my point is Netflix isn't using my bandwidth I'm using my bandwidth.

Netflix is using its own bandwidth to send stuff up to the internet when you request it. Then you use yours additionally to download it. That is how the internet works and always has.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Netflix is using its own bandwidth to send stuff up to the internet when you request it. Then you use yours additionally to download it. That is how the internet works and always has.

Then ?????? how is what I'm saying is conflicting with what I'm saying ? 

I know how it works.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

@cesrai i can understand what you are trying to say, but your not really taking into account the whole picture. From your perspective, the entire connection from netflix servers all the way to you is YOUR bandwidth, but it isn't. YOUR bandwidth only extends from your house to the nearest ISP node. Everything after that is all comcast.

What comcast is doing is charging netflix to carry the data from their servers to your node,using their own bandwidth. And then charging you to deliver it from you node to your home. YOUR bandwidth is only from the node to you, nothing more. Netflix is the one paying for the connection from their servers to your node.

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

@cesrai i can understand what you are trying to say, but your not really taking into account the whole picture. From your perspective, the entire connection from netflix servers all the way to you is YOUR bandwidth, but it isn't. YOUR bandwidth only extends from your house to the nearest ISP node. Everything after that is all comcast.

What comcast is doing is charging netflix to carry the data from their servers to your node,using their own bandwidth. And then charging you to deliver it from you node to your home. YOUR bandwidth is only from the node to you, nothing more. Netflix is the one paying for the connection from their servers to your node.

No ComCast is charging Netflix to stop throttling it down, that ComCast bandwidth your talking about it I payed them to bring to me they didn't do it for free, ComCast is a middle man nothing else.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Correct, and this model is how it's always been. The only problem is with so few ISPs now, and with them being telecom companies at the same time, they're trying to bully Netflix into submission and out of business by artificially slowing down its traffic, in violation of the contract they have with Netflix and giving consumers the finger.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Correct, and this model is how it's always been. The only problem is with so few ISPs now, and with them being telecom companies at the same time, they're trying to bully Netflix into submission and out of business by artificially slowing down its traffic, in violation of the contract they have with Netflix and giving consumers the finger.

That data that ComCast carrying I'm paying them to carry it to me isn't it ?? or I'm paying for nothing Mr. Internet.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

No ComCast is charging Netflix to stop throttling it down, that ComCast bandwidth your talking about it I payed them to bring to me they didn't do it for free, ComCast is a middle man nothing else.

So netflix doesn't pay for internet access? Don't be silly, of course they do. If its not Comcast they pay its some other ISP, who then gets paid by comcast. Who then charge you. Either way, someone's getting paid. 

Also known to his peers as Lord Scrubby McScrubington

So netflix doesn't pay for internet access? Don't be silly, of course they do. If its not Comcast they pay its some other ISP, who then gets paid by comcast. Who then charge you. Either way, someone's getting paid. 

Did I say they aren't paying for it ?? no I didn't.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Um, Netflix does have to pay for bandwidth. Just as you have a download/upload limit, so does Netflix. You downloading from Netflix uses up Netflix's upload. Both ends have to pay for that connection, just to clarify. Now, with regards to Comcast artificially slowing Netflix down to force them to pay more for marginally better service, that's despicable, but let's keep everything clear.

This is the same for all online services. You downloading is them uploading at the same time.

They're only uploading because I am "downloading", and I am paying for that bandwidth.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

They're only uploading because I am "downloading", and I am paying for that bandwidth.

You are paying for your general access to the internet. Netflix must pay for the same thing on their end. You both pay access to the network. You only pay for your use from Comcast's network to you. Netflix pays to get from their computers to Comcast's network. Both you and Netflix are unique and indivisible customers. Both pay. Their upload reaches you as your download. That's how it's been since ISPs first came to be, and there's nothing wrong with that system. What is wrong beyond that is Comcast's extortion by artificially slowing Netflix down in order to stifle competition against its television offerings.

is this some linguistic issue? When i first listened to linus, his statement of "netflix using so much of comcast's bandwidth" followed by "comcast customers were already paying for the bandwidth" made sense to me.

what i understood from these two sentences was that comcast felt netflix used too much of their bandwidth and netflix's rebuttal was that comcast customers were already paying for the bandwidth so comcast does not really have a right to complain. Doesn't this mean that "netflix using so much of comcast's bandwidth" actually refer to how much traffic netflix generates which in turn uses up loads of comcast's bandwidth since their customers are downloading so much more and not how much netflix is uploading on their end? 

I don't think Linus was actually refering to the netflix-comcast end, more like the comcast-customer end.

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

can anyone please do tag the mods so they can inform linus and crew and resolve this ? i am really confused now , or someone tweet linus 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

You are paying for your general access to the internet. Netflix must pay for the same thing on their end. You both pay access to the network. You only pay for your use from Comcast's network to you. Netflix pays to get from their computers to Comcast's network. Both you and Netflix are unique and indivisible customers. Both pay. Their upload reaches you as your download. That's how it's been since ISPs first came to be, and there's nothing wrong with that system. What is wrong beyond that is Comcast's extortion by artificially slowing Netflix down in order to stifle competition against its television offerings.

I'm paying to access the internet so is Netflix, now when I connect to Netflix can you please explain to me what happens because I'm an idiot so go ahead and explain it, also explain why I'm paying for and what is Netflix is paying for, I'm serious explain it for me.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

I'm paying to access the internet so is Netflix, now when I connect to Netflix can you please explain to me what happens because I'm an idiot so go ahead and explain it, also explain why I'm paying for and what is Netflix is paying for, I'm serious explain it for me.

Netflix is paying to send its information through Comcast's network which is also hooked into other ISP's networks. You are paying to get access to Comcast's network and receive information through it (as well as send it if you so choose).

You and netflix are equivalent entities in your relationship to comcast at this level. Netflix just has to pay for a big enough connection to service millions of people. You only pay for a personal connection with a relatively low data rate by comparison.

comcast is trying to turn its customers into a product to charge other companies to access. the internet is a utility like water and electricity as far as many are concerned. charging both ways isnt something that should be allowed. 

Netflix is paying to send its information through Comcast's network which is also hooked into other ISP's networks. You are paying to get access to Comcast's network and receive information through it (as well as send it if you so choose).

You and netflix are equivalent entities in your relationship to comcast at this level. Netflix just has to pay for a big enough connection to service millions of people. You only pay for a personal connection with a relatively low data rate by comparison.

Okay then I'm paying for my connection when I connect to Netflix right ?? and Netflix is only paying to upload content to me right ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Its true in its context. Linus is describing the argument, so he's paraphrasing what comcast said, so he is right. Unless comcast wasn't implying that, then he'd be wrong.

Okay then I'm paying for my connection when I connect to Netflix right ?? and Netflix is only paying to upload content to me right ?

Exactly. Though you yourself (most likely) have a data cap as well in your contract, so if you download too much, it starts costing you more.

Exactly. Though you yourself (most likely) have a data cap as well in your contract, so if you download too much, it starts costing you more.

No why is ComCast saying that Netflix is using to much of it's bandwidth if it's my bandwidth that I connected to Netflix through it  ? It's me who is you using your bandwidth not Netflix the customer that s paying you.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

No why is ComCast saying that Netflix is using to much of it's bandwidth if it's my bandwidth that I connected to Netflix through it  ? It's me who is you using your bandwidth not Netflix the customer that s paying you.

You really wanna know?  Comcast is saying that because they can get away with it right now.  It is not true.  Comcast is lying.

You really wanna know?  Comcast is saying that because they can get away with it right now.  It is not true.  Comcast is lying.

Then there argument is flawed and wrong right ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Then there argument is flawed and wrong right ?

Please, if you mean that Linus is wrong in the video... it is you who are wrong, stop.