[LEAK] apple supposedly to release a fully redesigned macbook air this year, so thin it barely has any i/o

AlexGoesHigh

This seems pretty far fetched to me. Sure Apple can be quick to drop inputs and such, but this rumour seems like its just completely pulled out of thin air.

Also, will everyone please stop getting upset over RUMOURS?!

I agree - discussion and speculation are great.  I love to talk tech, but please nobody take offense or get personal.  We're all interested in the same thing and we have our opinions - some right, some wrong.  Either way, we'll find out shortly when Apple does their next press conference.

@TechBenchTV

Ex-NCIX Tech Tips Producer.  Linus hates my scripts. 

Broadwell Core M sucks.

especially in the graphics department.

It does however seem that this concept is basically aimed at being a tablet that's actually useful for doing real work (full OS and program support, physical keyboard).

Honestly, I have no problem with USB 3.1 type C taking over all other connectors (except analog audio of course). It can already do a bunch of other protocols like DisplayPort, and it can supply enough power to charge things with so why not?

What I have a problem with is removing the total number of ports. I don't want to use a bunch of hubs and stuff to plug everything in.

I won't buy this anyway so it's not like it matters to me, but I hope they don't make it that thin and instead add more USB Type C ports to it. Get rid of Thunderbolt (let's face it, USB 3.0 won in terms of adoption and USB 3.1 brings it much closer in terms of features) and maybe even Macsafe and give it like 4-5 USB 3.1 type C ports.

Throw in a small type C to Ethernet adapter and I would be okay with the OI. I am already displeased with the lack of ports on the Macbook Air and I think that would be an upgrade.

Haha not even a mini sd card slot? And additional usb hub/adapter sold separately? What a joke it'll be if this turns out to be true..I'd rather get a SP3 instead..

Almost no I/O? Find it hard to believe to be honest. 

they can totally fit at least 2 more type-C connectors on there. If this ends up being the I/O design then I will call that stupidity.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Funniest_Memes_hey-everybody-the-ipad-is

Best I could do. Couldn't find a laptop related one.

which movie was that from

I already watched that

I remember the fat guy

Was it from Jurassic Park?

Im fine with the idea of only running usb 3.1 type c, it has the potential to replace every other connector on the laptop but for fuck sake give us more than one of the things. If they managed to put 3 of them on it along with the 3.5mm jack then everything would be fine.

Desktop -  i5 4670k, GTX 770, Maximums VI Hero, 2X Kingston Hyper X 3k in raid zero.

Laptop - Lenovo X230 Intel 535 480GB, 16GB Gskill memory, Classic Keyboard Mod, Triple USB 3.0 Express Card.

which movie was that from

I already watched that

I remember the fat guy

Was it from Jurassic Park?

Yeah....the first (and best) one.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This looks so nice and minimalistic, but i am not going to buy it anyway :P
I always believed that macbooks are GREAT ultrabooks with almost no cons, but this one has some problems :\

Nope. Just nope.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

SNIP

I agree with this, I hope it has at least 2 if not 3 or 4 USB type C connectors and a headphone jac

That said..... 

Honestly macbooks like the 11" are very rarely used with external devices connected, at home you can have your monitor, and a hub with your peripherals connected all via one cable

All you have to do is go home, connect one USB type C and your monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, ethernet and hard drive are all connected up, and the new charging method might be pretty good too

Then, when you need to run off to work/colleage/school/train whatever, you disconnect one cable, slip it into your bag and off you go... its unlikely you will be connecting 10 different usb devices on the move

I guess that is the scenario Apple are aiming for, and honestly its how I would use an air myself, the air is almost like a tablet (not in form factor) but in its usage, its a fully features OSX computer, but its not designed to be connected to everything, often they are secondary laptops for people wth bigger macs at home, for people who only use a laptop for basic use, or for people who have a monitor etc sitting at home

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Always kinda hated when power buttons are made "as-part-of-the-keyboard". Looks like a pretty nice portability design, otherwise. For this class of notebook, I am not that bothered about I/O.

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

Pros

• Can cut bread and other foods
  • Is a nice show piece

Cons

• Stupid placement of power button
  • Stupid placement of fn key (fuck companies that put it to the bottom left)
  • Speaker grills that are uglier than the Razer Blade's speakers
  • No MagSafe
  • No thunderbolt which Apple has been pushing hard for the past few years
  • no sd card slot (there is plenty of room for one to)
  • Will probably bend
  • Still doesn't have retina
  • Smaller battery
  • Worse cooling
  • No upgradability
  • Trackpad with no clickable buttons (?)
  • Shallow keys that will probably suck as much as the Surface 3 Pro cover. I fear the day that laptop keyboards turn into an array of shitty capacitive buttons with haptic feedback like the stupid buttons on Samsung phones

Atleast its a c-type connector and not a lightning connector. Serioiusly though they should of at least put 1 more c-type connector, so people can charge and have a usb open for whatever.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Pros

• Is a nice show piece

Cons

• Stupid placement of fn key (fuck companies that put it to the bottom left)
  • No MagSafe
  • Will probably bend
  • Smaller battery
  • Worse cooling
  • No upgradability
  • Shallow keys that will probably suck as much as the Surface 3 Pro cover. I fear the day that laptop keyboards turn into an array of shitty capacitive buttons with haptic feedback like the stupid buttons on Samsung phones

You forgot the absurd price tag that comes with buying just about anything apple.

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

You forgot the absurd price tag that comes with buying just about anything apple.

Funny, their products are actually pretty competitively priced compared to other ultrabooks (both the air and the pro are thin and light enough to fall into this category). Of course Sager/MSI/ASUS provide faster laptops for less, however you are comparing apples to oranges. SAGER/ASUS/MSI make bricks, Apple does not.

YEAH, THEY CAN TOTALLY FIT TWO MORE TYPE-C CONNECTORS IN THERE!!!!

*sighs*

I can't believe I still have to do this. Well, I can, but that doesn't make me any less disappointed.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

(you guys should watch Citizen Kane, it's a great movie.)

Just because it appears externally that there's space for more ports doesn't mean there's space internally. It's not a full tower desktop PC, this is a new class of ultrabook. The mainboard is probably a thin strip under the speakers and the rest is battery.

Let's try and analyze who this is for, because I think y'all have all but missed the boat with this one. Keep in mind that this is also still a rumor and could just as easily be a concocted crock of shit as a legitimate product.

It's very small, very portable.

It doesn't have a lot of I/O, in fact I/O wise it's closer to an iPad than a MacBook Air.

So, my prediction, assuming that what we know is true:

This is for people who could almost use an iPad but do too much typing. It's incredibly compact, will most likely have insane battery life, and let's face it, it won't be that powerful (AHEM Core M AHEM). This is aimed at business users and students that would otherwise use iPads or even Chromebooks, respectively. This will compete feature-wise with Chromebooks but it will obviously run a real OS and be built better, have a nicer display, etc. Think of it as an unusually powerful iPad with a keyboard. That's how I do.

Price range is a tough one for this, but whatever it is you won't be happy, so I'll be realistic. I think this is actually going to start at $699 or $799 respectively, and I think the current MacBook Airs will either stick with the current pricing or more likely go up with the introduction of Retina displays. 

In summary, this will be placed slightly above the iPad in price and will be aimed at iPad users that use keyboards frequently, like businesspeople.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

It is funny how many complain, yet nothing is official, nor have any photos leaked.

In order to build a thin and small Retina Macbook Air, there needs to exist a decent CPU/GPU combo.

IMHO there is no such processor from Intel out yet.

broadwell can be in very small places. and 9to5 has pictures. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

mighty wall of text

holy shit, your visit came as a bloody surprise, i guess is true it's impossible to leave ltt, they keep coming back at some point :P

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

-snip-

In before it's 1000 dollars, replace the current Macbook Air and you still say it's fantastic...

If you are right then I don't think it would be such a bad deal. 600 dollars sounds reasonable for the performance, battery life and quality we have come to expect of Apple. An iPad with a keyboard instead of touch screen and it runs OS X. I really doubt that will be the case though.

<p>

Pros

• Is a nice show piece
Cons
  • Stupid placement of fn key (fuck companies that put it to the bottom left)
  • No MagSafe
  • Will probably bend
  • Smaller battery
  • Worse cooling
  • No upgradability

Excuse me, but this is a concept peice, it has no credibility whatsoever.

In before it's 1000 dollars, replace the current Macbook Air and you still say it's fantastic...

If you are right then I don't think it would be such a bad deal. 600 dollars sounds reasonable for the performance, battery life and quality we have come to expect of Apple. An iPad with a keyboard instead of touch screen and it runs OS X. I really doubt that will be the case though.

In before Acer or Asus comes out with a laptop after this is announced with the exact same features, but with a plastic body, shit trackpad, shit keyboard, worse battery life and overall half-assed execution for $600, and people like you still don't understand why sometimes better products cost more.

broadwell can be in very small places. and 9to5 has pictures.

those fake pictures were made by 9to5 ...

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log