Steelseries unveils the Apex M800 mechanical keyboard with RGB backlighting

Geo2160

While skimming through SS's FB page I found this. However, I haven't found any press releases. I guess they treat it like an easter egg for their fans, for now:

cirRU6H.jpg

Here is the official website for it: http://steelseries.com/products/keyboards/steelseries-apex-m800-customizable-mechanical-gaming-keyboard

The switches remind me a little of the romer-g switches from logitech. The keycaps also, in a bad way. Those ridges don't look too comfy. But at least it's low-profile, which is something new in this area.

Everone is so hyped about RGB Keyboards, but the only hype was that Cherry released some, otherwise I don't think OEMs  are selling much more with RGB

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

giphy.gif

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Another RGB keyboard. Great.

Atleast SS is expanding their list of mechanical keyboard from the previous 1 model they had.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

I have the apex raw and I'm pretty happy with it. The mechanical one looks good, but that palm rest looks really uncomfortable.

Never even heard of steel series until now o-o

Those look a lot like the keycaps on the G910. The ridges are not as bad as they look. I got a G910 a couple weeks ago and I really like it. The ridges don't bother me and all and I actually really like how the keycaps and the switches feel.

that space bar though... :/

CPU: i7 4790K-----GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 Gaming + MSI GTX 980 TWINFROZR ------MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 7-------RAM: Klevv Genuine 2400MHz-------PSU: EVGA 850W SuperNOVA G2-------CASE: Phanteks Enhtoo Luxe

Never even heard of steel series until now o-o

You haven't missed anything. They make also mouses and headsets.

Yeah, the keyboard looks okay. At least not as terrible as the new Logitech spaceship keyboard. I just hope the software works and has a lot of options to play with.

I'm fine with the ridges, my current keyboard is similar but that space bar... @Jobbe03 has the perfect gif for my opinion.

-snip-

What movie is that gif from? I remember watching it when I was younger

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

You haven't missed anything. They make also mouses and headsets.

Yeah, the keyboard looks okay. At least not as terrible as the new Logitech spaceship keyboard. I just hope the software works and has a lot of options to play with.

"you have not missed anything" wooow dude, don't talk like that about steelseries please :D
If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Filco's Bluetooth mechanical keyboard is much more exciting to me. Also I don't know how the build quality will be compared to other manufactures like DAS Keyboard, WASD keyboards, Filco etc. but I'm guess most don't care about the quality when buying a RGB keyboard.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

"you have not missed anything" wooow dude, don't talk like that about steelseries please :D

I didn't meant to be rude or so, but I don't think Steelseries has ever made anything, a different company wouldn't have done already better.

A lot of ppl say, that their headsets are great, so I bought one a while ago. (SiberiaV2) It broke after 2 days (micophone didn't work anymore) and the overall sound quality was just nothing special. It was very comfortable tho.

Haven't tried one of their mice yet, they might be good, but the look.. meh.. 

I didn't meant to be rude or so, but I don't think Steelseries has ever made anything, a different company wouldn't have done already better.

A lot of ppl say, that their headsets are great, so I bought one a while ago. (SiberiaV2) It broke after 2 days (micophone didn't work anymore) and the overall sound quality was just nothing special. It was very comfortable tho.

Haven't tried one of their mice yet, they might be good, but the look.. meh..

well ok these days I would say there is probably at least one company that can do better in terms of mice, keyboards, headsets, mouspads than steelseries themselves. but back then it was different, imo. the v2 used to be the number one value headset for a couple of years. the 6G keyboard was for most of us, i think, the first mechanical keyboard to type on. and they still make awesome mousepads and gaming mice. but as you said, nothing special anymore..
If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

Yessss i really liked the way the apex was and almost bought one a week ago, now i may get this

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

What movie is that gif from? I remember watching it when I was younger

Bowfinger.

It's bad, would not recommend watching it again.

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Taken from the description of the video. Probably Khali switches. I don't know though.

And honestly? I don't like proprietary switches. At this point that is a no-go for my point of view. "Oh, a keycap broke? I guess I better call support for a new one!"

Switches

* Competition-grade mechanical QS1 Switch has a 60 million click lifetime, linear design and smooth feel
* The QS1 Switch has the lowest actuation point designed for quicker response times and less wasted effort
* Fastest mechanical keyboard on the market, presses register 25% faster than a traditional mechanical switch
* 3mm throw depth, with a 1.5mm actuation and reset depth – lowest and quickest switch on the market
* A mere 45cN of actuation force is all that is needed to press the keys
* Clear switch housing and centered LED light delivers vibrant, evenly distributed illumination without excessive light bleed between the keys

APEX_M800_Section_3a_CustomSwitch.png

Bowfinger.

It's bad, would not recommend watching it again.

Oh then I am thinking of another movie

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

If DAS would release a wireless KB I would be soo happy.

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Taken from the description of the video. Probably Khali switches. I don't know though.

And honestly? I don't like proprietary switches. At this point that is a no-go for my point of view. "Oh, a keycap broke? I guess I better call support for a new one!"

It shouldn't break..? I haven't broken a single keycap on my keyboard in my life.

If DAS would release a wireless KB I would be soo happy.

Unlikely since they are taking the simple and robust design approach, wireless is neither of those.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

It shouldn't break..? I haven't broken a single keycap on my keyboard in my life.

Not only that. But you can't customize it in any way you want. Well, apart from the lights.

Can't get translucent keycaps or anything like that. Or colored keycaps that works with LED keyboards.

"Fastest NEW Mechanical Switch"

"20% Faster and longer lasting than the previous one that said that!"
"RGB Lighting for super-duper incweezed eff-pee-ess!"

"The unexamined life is not worth living" - Apology 38a, Socrates

That looks nothing like a Khali switch. Khali uses Cherry type switches. That looks exactly like the Romer-G switch in the G910, developed by Logitech and Omron. The keycaps are shorter but the style is exactly the same as the G910 as well. Why would you worry about keycaps breaking? I have NEVER had a keycap break on any keyboard I've owned in the last 20+ years.