Will AMD make a comeback against Intel once DX12 comes out and mainstream developers kill support for <4 cores

Currently, the only Intel processors available with 4 cores or more are their old Core 2 Quad series and anything with i5 and up. Celeron, Pentium, i3s, and even some Xeons will become obsolete once the DX12 comes out and AMD currently has more multi-core processors than Intel on the market, including the 4,6, and 8 core FX series, 4 core Athlon, and 4+ core APUs up for offer. So, it's easy to see that while Intel has been spending their resources on getting performance per core, AMD has just gone ahead and added more cores to their CPUs to improve performance. When DX12 comes out, core# and the multithreaded performance will be more important and performance per core not so much. 

When DX12 comes out and more games pull support for dual core processors (it is already happening with FC4) in favour of quad cores and up, do you see AMD coming back and blowing Intel out of the water? Do you see them surpassing Intel?

Core i7 2700K Oc'ed 4.4 Ghz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SC'ed, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GB Intel 730 SSD and 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 blue LED fans, Windows 10 Preview 

Not every game will be given DX12 support. In fact, I doubt most games that have been released will get DX12.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Not every game will be given DX12 support. In fact, I doubt most games that have been released will get DX12.

Not to mention the fact that people who buy Intel aren't all solely doing it for gaming.

I believe DX11 will stick around for quite some time considering 12 is harder to develop around in theory if I recall.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

This ^ Directx 12 isn't a piece of cake to code for from what we've heard so far. Directx 11.3 will probably be for most of the games by smaller studios.

Intel is looking for Lower power options right now so adding more cores isn't the way they want to go at all.

I think the real concern in the future will probably be HSA and Intels version of it; not DX12 and such.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Considering how long it took for even DX11 to be used a lot.... will be a while longer.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

I think if AMD just attacks the market, with a great CPU with a lower price. They could go head to head with intel no problem. And I think once DX12 is out there, and strong. That will defiantly help them.

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

AMD will need to make more headway with its APUs/CPUs in the market first in order to pressure more developers to start using DX12 imo.

Right now with Intel pretty much dominating the market, I cannot really see a developer jumping onto DX12 so soon, especially as release time-frames for games continue to decrease.

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

only time will decide.... even if dx12 adaptation is low among dev's i think amd may be ahead of intel as the first choice for gamers if they start bundling a small smoke detector and fire extinguisher with their cpu's(pun intended)

you know, it's not really funny anymore. Actually, it was never funny.

to me anyway

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

Unfortunately I can only see amd competing with Intel at the mid range, I'm not sure they will ever get back the highend back from Intel

with the current old am3+ cpus? no way. if they want to make a comeback it needs to be done in the same way-new cpus with new architecture

only time will decide.... even if dx12 adaptation is low among dev's i think amd may be ahead of intel as the first choice for gamers if they start bundling a small smoke detector and fire extinguisher with their cpu's(pun intended)

If your AMD CPU is smoking and causing a fire, you're doing it wrong.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You'd need those with haswell if you plan to overclock, just at stock speeds they hit high temps (my i5 4440 puts out the same amount of heat as my Core 2 E8500 @4GHz when under full load-89/90oC)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

u wot m8, who cares about directx... mantle will take over, beware.

If one does not fail at times, then one has not challenged himself.

u wot m8, who cares about directx... mantle will take over, beware.

It won't take over because Nvidia refuses to adopt it. With DirectX 12 around the corner they likely never will. Tho game developers already want both Mantle + DirectX 12 support in their upcoming titles. Tho Mantle is definitely still growing and wont go away any time soon.

Mantle isn't better than Nvidia's Directx11, it's only good against their own Directx. http://www.overclock.net/t/1528559/amd-directx-driver-overhead-and-why-mantle-is-a-selling-point-bunch-of-benchmarks

Mantle wasn't designed to boast performance numbers. Try drawing 10,000 completely separate objects ingame all with their own AI. Watch you get a whole whopping 5 FPS on SLI 980's.

why not go for opengl if they want mantle+DX12 ,the latest version of opengl offers same features as both,has the same difficulty level for coding games compared to dx12 ..... nvidia used to love opengl before micosoft screwed things 

OpenGL will not be low level until version 5 which is still in development. Mantle is already available and DirectX 12 will likely be available long before OpenGL 5.

From what I know, I think you missed the point of DirectX 12.

Isn't DX12 meant to create a direct link between the video card and the game?Exactly like ASIO does with sound cards?

That's why it is said it will improve performance in games for AMD CPUs, because games won't rely on CPU power, but rather GPU. But it's becoming somehow useless because current and future games know how to use multithreaded performance, and in titles like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Sniper Elite 3 etc., both sides(Intel and AMD) offer good performance for the usual 1080p gamer. 

Even if we bump up the resolution to 1440p, even 4k, this is GPU territory...so CPUs will do. 

MARS_PROJECT V2 --- RYZEN RIG

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @3.7GHz 1.27V | Cooler: Corsair H80i Stock Fans@900RPM | Motherboard: Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 | RAM: 8GB DDR4 2933MHz(Vengeance LPX) | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 380 Gaming 4G | Sound Card: Creative SB Z | HDD: 500GB WD Green + 1TB WD Blue | SSD: Samsung 860EVO 250GB  + AMD R3 120GB | PSU: Super Flower Leadex Gold 750W 80+Gold(fully modular) | Case: NZXT  H440 2015   | Display: Dell P2314H | Keyboard: Redragon Yama | Mouse: Logitech G Pro | Headphones: Sennheiser HD-569

why not go for opengl if they want mantle+DX12 ,the latest version of opengl offers same features as both,has the same difficulty level for coding games compared to dx12 ..... nvidia used to love opengl before micosoft screwed things 

I still remember the scare campaign Microsoft started, pisses me right off as it meant games got locked mainly to windows, and Unix got left out in the cold (Linux/Mac OSX)

PS. Why the hell do computers even rely on the CPU so heavily for graphics? You should not be able to max out a CPU before the GPU whilst doing things that are graphically intensive. AKA we aren't in the 90s any more.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

DirectX 11 was released years ago right? Yet it was only implemented in most games last year and this year. If ever DX12 is released next year. You will be seeing DX12 games at around 2018-2019.

Developer by day, Gamer by night

CPU - Intel i7 4770k | MOBO MSI G45 Gaming | RAM - G.Skill RipJaws X 1600mhz 4x4gb CL7 | CASE - NZXT H440 | GPU - MSI R9 290 | PSU - Corsair RM850 | SSD - Samsung 840 EVO 128gb | HDD - Western Digital Black 2TB

From what I know, I think you missed the point of DirectX 12.

Isn't DX12 meant to create a direct link between the video card and the game?Exactly like ASIO does with sound cards?

That's why it is said it will improve performance in games for AMD CPUs, because games won't rely on CPU power, but rather GPU. But it's becoming somehow useless because current and future games know how to use multithreaded performance, and in titles like Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, Sniper Elite 3 etc., both sides(Intel and AMD) offer good performance for the usual 1080p gamer. 

Even if we bump up the resolution to 1440p, even 4k, this is GPU territory...so CPUs will do. 

Read my response below.

but performance is almost the same and thats what matters the most,the thing is atleast both red and green wont fight and suffers on the others card while playing certain games.... everything would be balanced nothing else 

Frames per second is completely irrelevant for what a low level API is designed to do. That's where a lot of the community members here on LTT seem to get it wrong. Mantle, DirectX 12, and even OpenGL 5 is not designed to boost frame rates in mind. They were designed to cut out API overhead. DirectX 11 has so many layers between the game engine and the device driver (for "security" reasons) that it's ridiculous. All of these layers waste CPU time and limits hardware potential. The reason you don't see drastic number changes in games today is because of the game itself. Games even such as Battlefield 4 were designed in constraints to the DirectX 11 API so that everyone has the same experience on the desktop platform. If they developed the game to run only on Mantle you would likely see far more content ingame. Unfortunately not everyone (Nvidia) is on board with Mantle and likely never will be due to DirectX 12 making its way to the market.

I will believe it when i see it lol.

I think mantle will be a better alternative for people with lower end cpus , i know mantle gives a huge boost to me on dragon age inquisition since i have a phenom II .