BIOSTAR First to implement integrated LAN & USB Surge protector

ahhming

BIOSTAR is introducing a new design for the boards, whereby they are adding an integrated chip to strengthen electrical stability and prevent damage from lightning strikes and electrical surges. BIOSTAR is the first Motherboard manufacturer to offer motherboards with these features and specifications so called “SUPER LAN Surge Protection”. Going forward, all BIOSTAR series products will incorporate this technology.

image001.jpg

BIOSTAR “SUPER LAN Surge Protection” wants to insure that the motherboards have a high degree of protection from such surges by the use of hardware devices, directly built into the motherboard, which limit surge voltages reaching protected equipment to safe levels.

Is this even necessary?

Source:

http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/news/news.php?S_ID=216

So what is the difference between Biostar's and Asus's AntiSurge and LanGuard?

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So what is the difference between Biostar's and Asus's AntiSurge and LanGuard?

well biostar uses an integrated chip   & claims it can prevent electrical sruge from lightning strike .

and for Asus i think they are using software to monitor the voltage to  prevent surge.   

For those moments when you plug a live PoE patch cable into your pc

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Isint this pointless for people with a dedicated ground and fused plugs? (such as in the uk).

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

id laugh if they actually did nothing to protect the LAN and USB at all and will simply replace its 0.1% of customers boards that this happens to

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

lightning strike? What? Okay sure, but I use surge protectors and APC's anyways, I don't see much of a use for this. Unless you are not using an external surge protector, and you are deathly afraid of your power supply of burning out your mobo (and the USB and LAN should be the least of your concern), I don't see any need.

Long time Linus fan with too many different forums to keep track of LTT's. 

well biostar uses an integrated chip   & claims it can prevent electrical sruge from lightning strike .

and for Asus i think they are using software to monitor the voltage to  prevent surge.   

I believe Asus also uses a integrated chip and just remembered so does Gigabyte

http://rog.asus.com/321182014/maximus-motherboards/what-is-rog-languard/

http://www.gigabyte.com/fileupload/microsite/297/images/overview.html

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So biostar claim 

BIOSTAR is the first Motherboard manufacturer to offer motherboards with these features and specifications so called “SUPER LAN Surge Protection”.

is bullshit!!

This is an awesome feature, and I wish my motherboard had it about 2 years ago, We had a freak lightning strike near my mums home and while we weren't hit directly, it took out my current motherboards Ethernet port and fried out our Sky modem/router, thankfully everything else survived and I was able to get it repaired via Gigabyte support, but ever since then the board hasn't been quite right, randomly failing POST, and the CPU doesn't seem to overclock quite as well as it used to (used to get 4.5Ghz at 1.285V, now it needs 1.365V for 4.5GHz), it's too late now to RMA it again as the warrenty has expired and it isn't really worth paying to potentially get it back only for the issues to not be fixed so I just live with it, with the expectation of the board finally giving up the ghost at any point.

I know I should have had a surge protector or a UPS, but I honestly doubt it would have protected against a lightning strike to the phone lines, so this feature is pretty awesome if it works imo.

Great bit of news, and a great post btw, and if any Biostar motherboard is worth getting when I eventually replace my current rig I'll bear this neat feature in mind as it might sway my purchasing decision.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

Isint this pointless for people with a dedicated ground and fused plugs? (such as in the uk).

lightning strike? What? Okay sure, but I use surge protectors and APC's anyways, I don't see much of a use for this. Unless you are not using an external surge protector, and you are deathly afraid of your power supply of burning out your mobo (and the USB and LAN should be the least of your concern), I don't see any need.

A lightning strike on the internet line into your house won't be stopped by your typical surge protector. That only protects against power line surges. Some surge protectors have RJ45 pass throughs but not all.

INTEL CORE i5-7600K | ASUS ROG STRIX B250i GAMING | CRUCIAL BALLISTIX SPORT LT 16GB | EVGA GTX 970 SC | EVGA B3 550W
SAMSUNG 850 EVO 250GB | CRYORIG M9i | BE QUIET! PURE WINGS 2| FRACTAL DESIGN DEFINE NANO S

I like this. If you plug an ethernet cable into your computer, it is certainly connected to the outside world without a surge protector in the way. It's also good if you don't hook up your router to a surge protector (in case you don't have enough outlets, or something).

If you're using an external USB drive with external power, then that can definitely produce surges (independent of lightning strikes) that can damage a motherboard.

Is this absolutely necessary? No. The cases this tech covers are edge cases, unlikely to happen at all. It's nice peace of mind that your motherboard won't get damaged from something it's plugged into that isn't protected.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I haven't seen BIOSTAR motherboards in years!  Have they been working on this for the past 3-5 years?

I would buy biostar if it´s the only brand in the world that sells mainboards

I guess I would too?

Bollocks, real surge protectors start at $150.  Does this mean they have quadrupled the cost of their product in the name of surge protection or is this a gimmick like the cheapo power board surge protectors?

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

considering that all powerlines and datacables are underground and isolated with atleast a few centimeters of plastic here(netherlands) makes me laugh about this, altough there are countries where powerlines(german countryside for example) are above ground, altough this still doesnt affect the internet cables underground.

this just makes me wonder, how a lightning strike can cause trouble for internet cables that are a couple of meter/feet underground, isolated with plastic and monitored carefully like most of them these days.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

considering that all powerlines and datacables are underground and isolated with atleast a few centimeters of plastic here(netherlands) makes me laugh about this, altough there are countries where powerlines(german countryside for example) are above ground, altough this still doesnt affect the internet cables underground.

this just makes me wonder, how a lightning strike can cause trouble for internet cables that are a couple of meter/feet underground, isolated with plastic and monitored carefully like most of them these days.

power surges don't just come from lightning, I had one at home that fried my entire pc because when they replaced my power meter they switched the power back on without turning off the main switch :angry: .  It can also occur when they switch back on the mains after a street breaker goes.  This surge can find it's way from the power line through your modem/router and straight into the lan jack.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

power surges don't just come from lightning, I had one at home that fried my entire pc because when they replaced my power meter they switched the power back on without turning off the main switch :angry: .  It can also occur when they switch back on the mains after a street breaker goes.  This surge can find it's way from the power line through your modem/router and straight into the lan jack.

somehow im suddenly glad that my parents forced wi-fi upon me for most things.

unfortunately not everyone has cables running underground. I live out in the country and get my internet wirelessly (they have a giant tower a few miles away and I have an antenna on my roof). My brother lost his motherboard a few years ago because of a lightning strike. This is actually a really cool idea since I worry about the same thing happening to me. I can't remthow many routers I've lost I've the years.

unfortunately not everyone has cables running underground. I live out in the country and get my internet wirelessly (they have a giant tower a few miles away and I have an antenna on my roof). My brother lost his motherboard a few years ago because of a lightning strike. This is actually a really cool idea since I worry about the same thing happening to me. I can't remthow many routers I've lost I've the years.

yeah for people with situations as you and others i can see a benefit in it, altough the way they are promoting this is ehmmm, not really effective if you ask me,considering that most people use prefab system's form companies like dell or HP, for theselfbuilding community it's awesome though.