purch buys anandtech, the same guys that own tom's hardware

AlexGoesHigh

purch1-185x185.jpg

kind of unexpected, but today these guys bought anandtech, none of the terms of the purchase were disclosed so we don't know for how much they bought them

anandtech editor in chief, Ryan Smith released the following statement about the purchase

The challenge has always been that there are very few players in the publishing space these days who value deep, high-quality content. We wanted a partner that understood our values, had a sound business model to ensure AnandTech’s legacy would continue for years to come, and would allow us to grow and expand our readership without compromising the quality that made us who were are today. Purch provides all of these things. I am beyond excited about what we’ll be able to do with their support.

founder Anand Ship also said the following

AnandTech represents much of my life’s work over the past 18 years, I am happy to see it end up with a partner committed to taking good care of the brand and its readers. I wouldn't have had it any other way

for those that don't about purch,

Purch is a portfolio of digital brands and services that helps make complex buying decisions easy for 100 million consumers monthly. Its respected sites such as Top Ten Reviews, Tom’s Guide, Tom’s Hardware, and Live Science natively integrate commerce and content in more than 1000 product categories so consumers can make better choices before, during, and after an important purchase.

The company helps marketers achieve their branding and performance objectives in a high-quality, brand-safe context. Its sites connect in-market shoppers with more than 7,000 marketers and sellers, driving industry-leading conversion rates and $1 billion in commerce transactions annually.

Purch is a high-growth, privately held company with more than 350 employees and offices across the U.S. and Europe.

Source: Purch

yeah i don't have too much to say about this, first time i hear about these guys, they seem mostly an advertisement company, so as long as anandtech is the same publication it has always been i don't have a problem with this

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Linus please Don't sell out... 

Edit: Seeing how this will go public via Youtube, I will clarify, my "selling out" as being bought out by a larger company that may not necessarily continue to put viewers first, etc. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Dunno how I feel about this... Toms used to be a great site but above anything else the layout is terrible now so I stopped going there (cant comment on the quality of the articles these days because of it) so as long as Anand doesn't get an overhaul because of the purchase I guess this is a good thing?

If Linus got a offer for a few million or more, hell yes he probably would. Most would. "selling out" is such a abused term. People think taking money is selling out. Linus runs a business, businesses make money. Not to make people feel good, not at the cost of making money. 

"selling out" would mean Linus gets money to increase his reach, gets more resources and becomes part of something even bigger. OR he gets a windfall and can move onto something else. 

Linus selling out would be more beneficial than harmful so long as the buyer is reasonable.

I'm certain most anyone who would leave an offer to purchase LMG would assume it's better to leave LMG operate on its own with better tools, considering how far LMG has gotten on its own.

Completely theoretical, though. I can't imagine it happening soon.

Good for Anandtech, though. Odd thinking that Tom's Hardware is kind of the brother site, now.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

If Linus got a offer for a few million or more, hell yes he probably would. Most would. "selling out" is such a abused term. People think taking money is selling out. Linus runs a business, businesses make money. Not to make people feel good, not at the cost of making money. 

"selling out" would mean Linus gets money to increase his reach, gets more resources and becomes part of something even bigger. OR he gets a windfall and can move onto something else.

yes selling out is an abused term but I used it because he would be selling out to the big guys, no longer that private business. Perhaps surrendering to larger corporations. Yes it's not a big deal if he were allowed to remain in entire control of organization, but if the larger buying company takes control and abuses the community there is a problem. And that point it's would really unfortunate and I think people would feel as though he sold out simply for the money. But that won't necessarily happen, but takeovers end badly all the time.
Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Dude, making more decent money is clearly selling out omgggzzz

Dude, making more decent money is clearly selling out omgggzzz

HOLY SHIT I GUESS I SOLD OUT WHEN I JUST LEFT MY JOB TO MOVE TO ANOTHER ONE THAT PAYS MORE AND HAS BETTER BENEFITS AND PAYS FOR MY PARKING AND IS ALLOWING ME TO HAVE MY NAME ON PUBLISHED RESEARCH ARTICLES

Fuck, I'm such a sellout

HOLY SHIT I GUESS I SOLD OUT WHEN I JUST LEFT MY JOB TO MOVE TO ANOTHER ONE THAT PAYS MORE AND HAS BETTER BENEFITS AND PAYS FOR MY PARKING AND IS ALLOWING ME TO HAVE MY NAME ON PUBLISHED RESEARCH ARTICLES

Fuck, I'm such a sellout

You should be ashamed.

You should be ashamed.

I am. 

But seriously. The term sellout is so abused by the internet, its sad. Companies change hands all the time. Startups, unless you're a Facebook, often get bought out by others. Rarely does a company go from garage to 4 city blocks on its own. Thats very rare. Sometimes it takes "being bought out" to get there, and it takes change of ownership. 

I'm sure if Linus got such an offer he would seriously consider it, with the interests of himself, his family and his employees. Kinda like all the people who have "sold out" before have probably done before making their decisions. 

Fuck, I'm such a sellout

Well if your new job goes against your general morals, it would be. But otherwise that seems lie, a good upgrade.

Spoiler

No plans to sell to a larger parent company.

But I see why some people do it. Talk to me in another 17 years or however long Anand was doing it and we'll see if I'm ready for a different challenge at that point...

But I see why some people do it. Talk to me in another 17 years or however long Anand was doing it and we'll see if I'm ready for a different challenge at that point...

I agree. Businesses change, but from a consumer's POV LTT isn't at that point of changing hands yet. As a small business it's not attracting much attention from big-name brands anyway, isn't it? (With all due respect, of course.)

[witty signature]

I don't check Tom's Hardware as often as I used to, but when they take the time to do an in-depth article, or a full hardware review, it's usually pretty high quality and well done.

This probably isn't a terrible occurrence.

well as long as they dont make it worse im cool with this. i mean tomshardware is almost crap now

At least Anandtech was bought by a company who knows what they are doing, owning other companies such as TomsHardware, and not someone who would tarnish the name in seconds.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

The man has two kids and several employees to worry about. As much as I respect Linus, common sense tells us if the price is right, Linus would sell and I wouldn't blame him. As selfish as it sounds, I sure would put my children above strangers who watch videos of me being goofy. 

The man has two kids and several employees to worry about. As much as I respect Linus, common sense tells us if the price is right, Linus would sell and I wouldn't blame him. As selfish as it sounds, I sure would put my children above strangers who watch videos of me being goofy.

at the right time and for the right reasons and a concern given to how the company would be managed I wouldn't really have any objections. However if he didn't care what LTT became afterwards and did just for money, I would find that very disrespectful to all the people that had supported his growth, etc.
Spoiler

I was tired enough to read that as "Pope buys anandtech"

Either way someone got a lot of money and some people might've gotten some extra job security. *Thumbs up*

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

See you when you're 45!  :lol:

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

I was tired enough to read that as "Pope buys anandtech"

Either way someone got a lot of money and some people might've gotten some extra job security. *Thumbs up*

Shit now I'm disappointed :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Why is everyone talking about selling out? Selling out means that you are compromising your beliefs/integrity/morals/etc in order to make more money.

If Anandtech starts publishing less in-depth content to attract more viewers because they got bought then they will have sold themselves out. They are innocent until proven guilty though.

Why not?, I guess. In fact it IS a good thing that people who know what they're doing got a hold of AAT.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Selling out = doing something u dont belive in for someone who pays u money to do so.

I believe in Linus and Luke and don't think they would sellout (do positive reviews on shit crap products to get paid).

But time + price tag = everything is possible.

So hard to say, but I'm sure one day someone will make an offer. There's very few video reviewers like LMG.

Anand didn't sell out (at least we hope).

He said that he will continue doing what he is doing, just in much greater scale and with lot more resources.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE