Controversial shooter Hatred goes to Greenlight UPDATE: Its been removed!

XTankSlayerX

Enemies in Smash TV weren't really humans. They were robot\cyborgs and weird mutants. Whereas in this game they are actually people.

I'm surprised Valve took action, they usually don't give crap. Perhaps they were afraid of a large media frenzy that would disturb the market. Personally I think Jack shit would happen.

I don't remember them being robots/cyborgs. The game never tells you that they are cyborgs/robots/mutants either. You're just told that you're competing in a violent game show.

Got a citation on them being mutants? I can't find any.

Don't really see how that would make it more okay anyway. If Hatred went out and said "oh everyone is a mutant by the way" I doubt the people against it would do a 180 and go "oh then it's perfectly fine".

I don't remember them being robots/cyborgs. The game never tells you that they are cyborgs/robots/mutants either. You're just told that you're competing in a violent game show.

Got a citation on them being mutants? I can't find any.

Don't really see how that would make it more okay anyway. If Hatred went out and said "oh everyone is a mutant by the way" I doubt the people against it would do a 180 and go "oh then it's perfectly fine".

I said my piece about Hatred. Meh. The game looks meh. It'll probably be too shit to hold anyone's attention, if it even gets out of Early Access stage. Oh yeah, about that. The game is not even made yet. Seriously, there is no game to discuss yet, only a trailer. There is no guarantee that it was ever going to be a thing. There was absolutely no reason for Valve to remove it or for websites to cover it or for anyone outside of developers parents to know that it even existed.

My guess as to why this blew up and became a thing is that it came just in the right time, after GTA V stirred up the "OMG viloent vidya gaemes" cauldron again for marketing reasons websites got all riled up and ready to write their clickbait articles and pointlessly discuss pointless matters. Same tired bullshit.

But then came this obscure game that is literally a Postal remake with a different paint and they said "oh boy finally something new to talk about since we talked about GTA to death in the past years and no one gives a shit anymore.

I blame the gaming websites first and foremost. They are the shit brewers. There is no controversy in gaming that became a controversy without gaming websites making a big deal out of them for no other reason than to gain ad revenue by writing inflammatory articles.

The stone cannot know why the chisel cleaves it; the iron cannot know why the fire scorches it. When thy life is cleft and scorched, when death and despair leap at thee, beat not thy breast and curse thy evil fate, but thank the Builder for the trials that shape thee.

The only argument for demonizing this game is simply personal feelings, nobody is telling anyone to love the game, but you should respect its right to exist and to be sold.

I acknowledge its right to exist and be sold, but why do I have to respect it? Certainly not because other things like it exist. Freedom of speech is cool, but if someone uses it for violent hate speech, I'll condemn it. Censure, not censor. I feel the same way here.

If you want question Valve's reasoning behind Hatred's removal, citing the other games similar in nature, that's fine. It looks like they have overstepped their intended function for Greenlight in choosing to remove Hatred.

I think this was a wrong move by Valve.
Mortal Kombat or Manhunt are just as bad and both of those games are getting soled in the store.
This will only lead to other games getting banned as soon as a controversial comes up.
Valve is pulling the same BS as the stores in Australia with GTA V.

Rockstar summed the hole thing up perfectly  "If you don't like it don't buy it!"

RTX2070OC 

I acknowledge its right to exist and be sold, but why do I have to respect it? Certainly not because other things like it exist. Freedom of speech is cool, but if someone uses it for violent hate speech, I'll condemn it. Censure, not censor. I feel the same way here.

If you want question Valve's reasoning behind Hatred's removal, citing the other games similar in nature, that's fine. It looks like they have overstepped their intended function for Greenlight in choosing to remove Hatred.

I'm not telling you to respect it, i'm asking you not to have double standards and to not attempt censoring what is a work of art just like any other game.

Also how is this game "violent hate speech", what the hell does that eve mean?

"hate speech (noun) 1.speech disparaging a racial, sexual, or ethnic group or a member of such a group"

Violent hate speech would mean taking physical action and harming other people.

And yes, my fucking issue is how they completely ignore the function of Greenlight and attempt to tell their consumers, who voted for the game to be on their platform 93% positively, what they can and cannot consume.

There isn't any rule about levels of violence or contexts that are allowed in games on their platform. So either they undo this or go ahead and remove all the other similar games.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

I think this was a wrong move by Valve.

Mortal Kombat or Manhunt are just as bad and both of those games are getting soled in the store.

This will only lead to other games getting banned as soon as a controversial comes up.

Valve is pulling the same BS as the stores in Australia with GTA V.

Rockstar summed the hole thing up perfectly  "If you don't like it don't buy it!"

Funny thing is that the incident in Australia did absolutely nothing to Rockstar because they are a huge company and it was a couple of small distributors in a relatively small area.

Here we're talking about a small developer company being denied access to the largest PC game distributor on the planet, for no valid reason, they didn't break any rules with their game.

At the same time there's many Early Access games who never reach their promises or with developers who barely update the game.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

What is the point of the game?

I think the biggest problem with the game, is that only violent killing been shown, and without a motive or a story, it is hard to eat it. 

But to be honest, I think this game was created for attention seeking nothing else.(as of know, if there is a story side, eg it is not just killing everyone but there is a contest, that gives the game a purpose, I will change my opinion about it)

What is the point of the game?

I think the biggest problem with the game, is that only violent killing been shown, and without a motive or a story, it is hard to eat it. 

But to be honest, I think this game was created for attention seeking nothing else.(as of know, if there is a story side, eg it is not just killing everyone but there is a contest, that gives the game a purpose, I will change my opinion about it)

This shit right here faced less controversy than Hatred right now, horribly mutated little kids:

But i guess for these people as long as you change the appearance so that you can't empathize as much, it's cool, there were also mutated babies that crawled around trying to kill you by exploding their acidic guts on you.

This shit right here faced less controversy than Hatred right now, horribly mutated little kids:

But i guess for these people as long as you change the appearance so that you can't empathize as much, it's cool, there were also mutated babies that crawled around trying to kill you by exploding their acidic guts on you.

But then there was a contents where we can put the whole happenings

Here all we know is that you are mass murdering

I'm not telling you to respect it, i'm asking you not to have double standards and to not attempt censoring what is a work of art just like any other game.

you should respect its right to exist and to be sold.

I was just asking for clarification on the bolded statement, because I disagreed with it. 

Also how is this game "violent hate speech", what the hell does that eve mean?

"hate speech (noun) 1.speech disparaging a racial, sexual, or ethnic group or a member of such a group"

Violent hate speech would mean taking physical action and harming other people.

I was using the condemnation of violent hate speech as a comparison to this situation, not saying the game itself is violent hate speech. They've chosen to use freedom of expression to create a game that many find offensive. Saying so isn't an attempt at censorship, it's a statement of preference. Violence can be non-physical as well, but that's not the point.

And yes, my issue is how they completely ignore the function of Greenlight and attempt to tell their consumers, who voted for the game to be on their platform 93% positively, what they can and cannot consume.

There isn't any rule about levels of violence or contexts that are allowed in games on their platform. So either they undo this or go ahead and remove all the other similar games.

And I agree here. So email Valve; that might have some effect, more than railing against individuals trying to have an opinion on the internet.

I was just asking for clarification on the bolded statement, because I disagreed with it. 

I was using the condemnation of violent hate speech as a comparison to this situation, not saying the game itself is violent hate speech. They've chosen to use freedom of expression to create a game that many find offensive. Saying so isn't an attempt at censorship, it's a statement of preference. Violence can be non-physical as well, but that's not the point.

And I agree here. So email Valve; that might have some effect, more than railing against individuals trying to have an opinion on the internet.

Well you're free to dislike the game but i think you should respect its right to exist.

There's many games out there that a loathe and wish people wouldn't buy, but i still respect their market and their right to be available.

Being offended means absolutely nothing, you can choose to be offended about anything.

If the game actually portrayed real mass shootings and real victims, i can see why you'd have a problem with it, but it's just portraying mass murder which is is available and included in most mainstream games.

“Nobody has the right to not be offended. That right doesn't exist in any declaration I have ever read. 
If you are offended it is your problem, and frankly lots of things offend lots of people.
I can walk into a bookshop and point out a number of books that I find very unattractive in what they say. But it doesn't occur to me to burn the bookshop down. If you don't like a book, read another book. If you start reading a book and you decide you don't like it, nobody is telling you to finish it. 
To read a 600-page novel and then say that it has deeply offended you: well, you have done a lot of work to be offended.”
― Salman Rushdie

Just let the market decide, if the game is total garbage it won't sell and everyone will forget about it.
If you don't like it then you simply don't talk about it and ignore it, it's quite simple.
Each time you mention it you're advertising it and keeping it relevant.

If the game actually portrayed real mass shootings and real victims, i can see why you'd have a problem with it, but it's just portraying mass murder which is is available and included in most mainstream games.

Which is a silly argument because it assumes one doesn't have an issue with other forms of violent portrayals, or that they don't differentiate between settings, narrative, or objective, etc. in the games. Is just portraying mass murder okay because of an appeal to majority with most mainstream games? But we're talking about individual preferences, so who cares, right?

To be offended isn't to say "I didn't want/ask/deserve to be offended.. therefore remove this offensive material." Like I said, it's just a statement of preference. I think we kind of agree here as well.

But yes, let the market decide. Valve isn't letting their market do the deciding, which is entirely their prerogative. That's why I say tell them, not the offended internet comments that "mean absolutely nothing."

Yet Manhunt and Postal still remain on steam, despite their violence.

I wouldn't be surprised if Hatred came back on Steam within a month.

Which is a silly argument because it assumes one doesn't have an issue with other forms of violent portrayals, or that they don't differentiate between settings, narrative, or objective, etc. in the games. Is just portraying mass murder okay because of an appeal to majority with most mainstream games? But we're talking about individual preferences, so who cares, right?

To be offended isn't to say "I didn't want/ask/deserve to be offended.. therefore remove this offensive material." Like I said, it's just a statement of preference. I think we kind of agree here as well.

But yes, let the market decide. Valve isn't letting their market do the deciding, which is entirely their prerogative. That's why I say tell them, not the offended internet comments that "mean absolutely nothing."

Doubt they give a shit about reading e-mails from customers.

This will hurt them much more than whatever stupid "controversy" that would have been fabricated when the game released on Steam.

They've compromised their integrity.

I mean, what would happen if they allowed it straight away? Nothing, a few people would complain but at the end, you'd just say that they're selling the game, not endorsing it or its violent content.

They did this shit for the same reason those retailers pulled GTA 5 from their stores, they saw a couple of people making a big deal.

This is will hurt their reputation FAR more than publishing a murder spree game.

Valve against free speech I guess.

If you don't like the game, simply don't play it. It doesn't interest me, so I won't play it. Does that mean others shouldn't be able to play it? Of course not, for fuck sake.

There are people who think GTA is the spawn of the devil, does that mean it should be removed from Steam too?

Well you're free to dislike the game but i think you should respect its right to exist.

There's many games out there that a loathe and wish people wouldn't buy, but i still respect their market and their right to be available.

Being offended means absolutely nothing, you can choose to be offended about anything.

“Nobody has the right to not be offended. That right doesn't exist in any declaration I have ever read. 
If you are offended it is your problem, and frankly lots of things offend lots of people.
I can walk into a bookshop and point out a number of books that I find very unattractive in what they say. But it doesn't occur to me to burn the bookshop down. If you don't like a book, read another book. If you start reading a book and you decide you don't like it, nobody is telling you to finish it. 
To read a 600-page novel and then say that it has deeply offended you: well, you have done a lot of work to be offended.”
― Salman Rushdie

Just let the market decide, if the game is total garbage it won't sell and everyone will forget about it.
If you don't like it then you simply don't talk about it and ignore it, it's quite simple.
Each time you mention it you're advertising it and keeping it relevant.

I agree with everything you've said.

I am a little shocked people here actually think games should be banned out of sight just because it might possibly offend someone somewhere.

still better than some of the crap that gets through steam greenlight

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

This is more fucked-up than the Terminal mission from MW2 where you could massacre Russian civilians.

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

This is more fucked-up than the Terminal mission from MW2 where you could massacre Russian civilians.

So, equal to free-roam on Grand Theft Auto where you can massacre American civilians?

So, equal to free-roam on Grand Theft Auto where you can massacre American civilians?

yeah, sounds about right

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Hatred? You basically kill people because you're a cunt. No reason other-wise.

And? So what? It's a video game, get over it.

people complaining about that just show how pathetic those people are.

I'd argue you're infinitely more pathetic for thinking it's okay for things to be removed just because YOU don't like them.

Also, from here on out, hopefully you people will stop using Totalbiscuit in your arguments.

I thought the dude was well thought out and analytical, but he's no different from all of the other shit-posting youtubers who doesn't care for criticism, shutting out the opinions of anyone that don't sync with his own.

He's effectively a kid who's just putting fingers in his ears and shouting that we're all morons even when we've got perfectly reasoned and thought out points.

Also, don't do the same stupid thing he's doing, where he's trying to bring up out of context situations in other games in attempt to justify hatred.

TB: "Can we ban this sickening cop-killing game Counterstrike?"

ME: """Oh I'm going to bring up different examples despite varying situations and circumstances as an attempt to prove my point.""

TB: "I heard about this awful game that lets you murder civilians in an airport. I want it banned from Steam. It's called Modern Warfare 2" (Also, I just want to point out something he completely missed too, is that the key word here is "lets you", it's not the objective at all.")

ME: "I know you don't read these, but that mission wasn't glorified, it was tragic and also had a place within the narrative, it wasn't just, "hey go in and enjoy killing all these running and screaming people who are innocent". Use your head, mate.."

And then in response he'll say something like this:

TB: "Everytime I put finger to key I imagine 100 people preparing to say "well actually..." :P"

ME: "Almost as if there's more than one opinion, one view and one understanding?"

Sounds like you're the one that can't accept criticism, or accept people have different opinions. You're already shutting down people by saying "d-don't reply with th-this!". You're being pathetic.

Glad it's back, added it to my favorites, greenlit, wishlist and will contribute if they go for early access. I think everybody supporting freedom of speech and a better Steam experience should support this game as a matter of principle.

-------

Current Rig

-------

-huge ass text wall filled with false equivalencies and ad hominem attacks on totalbiscuit-

Take the dildo out of your ass.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.