Microsoft Changing Stances: Xbox One making more sense

Sundanc3

I highly doubt Microsoft will be making games cheaper. This is Microsoft we are taking about. If they get rid of used games, then there is no competition for Microsoft. If you can only buy and sell games to authorized retailers, then Microsoft and the publishers can charge whatever they want for their games.

This is nothing like Steam. If Steam stopped doing sales, then everyone will be buying games from Amazon and GreenManGaming and getting Steam keys from them. Steam has competition on the PC, Microsoft does not.

Microsoft is trying to sway the minds of the people, but if you were smart, you would see this hypocrisy. Look at Microsoft Office for an example, there is NO competition for Microsoft Office(except open source software) and look at the price of it, it's over a hundred dollars, some versions are a couple hundred. Microsoft has no competition for their Office program, therefore they can price it whatever they want.

If you guys honestly believe Microsoft is going to make games cheaper, then I feel sorry for you.

So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.

What if your friend has a crappy internet connection? You just have to sit there and wait for a couple hours.

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

Linus was comparing Steam to Xbox One in terms of the DRM similarities on the live stream. The difference is I can play offline on Steam with absolutely no problem at all.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

They havnt changed their stance, they have changed their font.

funny. but wrong. They have changed some things

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

Loaning or renting games won’t be available at launch, but we are exploring the possibilities with our partners. 

I missed the part where MSFT started to make more sense?

These license TOS are old and were released prior to E3. None of this is new.

Eurogamer sums it up quite nicely: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-06-07-microsoft-kills-game-ownership-and-expects-us-to-smile

To save you skimming large tracts of condescending prose about how much Microsoft loves and respects you as a human wallet, here is a summary:

• You do not own the games you buy. You license them.
  • Discs are only used to install and then license games and do not imply ownership.
  • People can play games installed on your console whether you're logged in or not.
  • 10 people can be authorised to play these games on a different Xbox One via the cloud, but not at the same time, similar to iTunes authorised devices.
  • Publishers decide whether you can trade in your games and may charge for this.
  • Publishers decide whether you can give a game you own to someone for free, and this only works if they have been on your friends list for 30 days.
  • Your account allows you to play the games you license on any console.
  • Your Xbox One must connect to the internet every 24 hours to keep playing games.
  • When playing on another Xbox One with your account, this is reduced to one hour.
  • Live TV, Blu-ray and DVD movies are exempt from these internet requirements.
  • Loaning and renting games will not be possible at launch, but Microsoft is "exploring the possibilities".
  • Microsoft may change these policies or discontinue them at any point.

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

funny. but wrong. They have changed some things

Could you possibly cite any of these changes, please?

This was released a week ago (prior to E3 as I've said already) and nothing whatsoever has changed since its release.

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

Think of an Xbox one more like a PC with a controller, you install the games to ur hdd then play them through it.

the benefits of this will mean that Xbox one games will be Significantly cheaper than Playstation 4's.

price difference can be anything 10 - 35% much like what most PC titles are over consoles at the moment, that in my opinion makes it allot more worth it.

also to my understanding after 3 months after launch of a new game, the costs will reduce every month from then out meaning the price of playing on an xbox one in the long term will be more beneficial.

The best way to think of an Xbox one is "Set Top Box with the ability to play pc games at 2k res at 60fps stable without the need for a remote control".

im still getting both the Xbox one and PS4 but i am still leaning more towards Xb1

You're living in a dream world if you think the games will be cheaper, reduce every month, or playable at 2k res at 60FPS stable.

Console gamers let games get to $60 to begin with. Do you really think they are going to have a problem with them staying that way? Doubt it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Could you possibly cite any of these changes, please?

This was released a week ago (prior to E3 as I've said already) and nothing whatsoever has changed since its release.

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers.  Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games. 

Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

As far as I know these were never stated prior to this article. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

I still don't understand why PC people are so angry about the used games even tho on PC most games are downloaded

That is exactly what i was thinking, i mean you cant borrow your friends game on PC, 90% of PC gamers games r digital copies and you need to be signed in to steam to be able to play them. So what is the big deal with the XBox One being the same way.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

I have already pre ordered both my Xbox One and my PS4 just because i want to be able to play their exclusives but other than that every game that will be available on PC i will be getting for my PC.

Spoiler

-

CPU:Ryzen 9 5900X GPU: Asus GTX 1080ti Strix MB: Asus Crosshair Viii Hero RAM: G.Skill Trident Neo CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

Think of an Xbox one more like a PC with a controller, you install the games to ur hdd then play them through it.

the benefits of this will mean that Xbox one games will be Significantly cheaper than Playstation 4's.

price difference can be anything 10 - 35% much like what most PC titles are over consoles at the moment, that in my opinion makes it allot more worth it.

also to my understanding after 3 months after launch of a new game, the costs will reduce every month from then out meaning the price of playing on an xbox one in the long term will be more beneficial.

The best way to think of an Xbox one is "Set Top Box with the ability to play pc games at 2k res at 60fps stable without the need for a remote control".

im still getting both the Xbox one and PS4 but i am still leaning more towards Xb1

Cool. Except you're limited to a 500GB hard drive that is non-removable and it's already been stated that Xbox One games will still retail at $59.99, both physical disc and digital download. Also, it's the publisher that gets to decide when their game's retail value gets marked down. MS doesn't control retail costs of any game at any point after it's release. They can do daily/holiday sales just like Steam but that's about all they can do. And just because they can do sales, doesn't mean they will.

That is exactly what i was thinking, i mean you cant borrow your friends game on PC, 90% of PC gamers games r digital copies and you need to be signed in to steam to be able to play them. So what is the big deal with the XBox One being the same way.

You don't need to be signed into Steam to play games. The only time you need to be online is when activating the game for the first time. After that, you can play the entirety of your game offline even with internet disabled. I've recently done just that with BioShock 1 & 2.

Cool. Except you're limited to a 500GB hard drive that is non-removable and it's already been stated that Xbox One games will still retail at $59.99, both physical disc and digital download. Also, it's the publisher that gets to decide when their game's retail value gets marked down. MS doesn't control retail costs of any game at any point after it's release. They can do daily/holiday sales just like Steam but that's about all they can do. And just because they can do sales, doesn't mean they will.

I'm pretty sure after a couple months or so they will release one with a bigger HDD once they realize that 500gb isn't enough. I mean my steam library is at 635gb rightnow thats not counting WOW and Origin.

Spoiler

-

I'm pretty sure after a couple months or so they will release one with a bigger HDD once they realize that 500gb isn't enough. I mean my steam library is at 635gb rightnow thats not counting WOW and Origin.

Well then... I hope people will enjoy buying the same product twice.

All consoles are now is just a pc with a custom os so as Linus said during his live stream there will be emulators so the there will be no point in getting a console.

All consoles are now is just a pc with a custom os so as Linus said during his live stream there will be emulators so the there will be no point in getting a console.

Someone on another thread did bring up that the Original Xbox was basically a modified PC, but didn't have a proper emulator for it for a long time...if it does now.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

wow makes soo much sense ......

F this BS !

they keep going on and on about

sharing access with people in your home.... really REALLY ???

ive been doing that since friggen SEGA !!!

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Someone on another thread did bring up that the Original Xbox was basically a modified PC, but didn't have a proper emulator for it for a long time...if it does now.

still only 5 games are playable on the original xbox with the newest emulator updated in 2012

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

I'm pretty sure after a couple months or so they will release one with a bigger HDD once they realize that 500gb isn't enough.

I'm pretty sure MSFT realised this a long time ago and is not something they will come to realise. 

I'm pretty sure MSFT realised this a long time ago and is not something they will come to realise. 

Sadly this is probably true  -_-. what I think is that they will end up selling a bigger HDD separate just like they did with the Xbox 360 just to make some more money... :angry:

Spoiler

-

still only 5 games are playable on the original xbox with the newest emulator updated in 2012

As Linus said on the live stream it's x86 hardware so emulators will be a lot easier to code and develop.

It isn't so if its x86 I would think they would just run it on a modded version of windows.

As Linus said on the live stream it's x86 hardware so emulators will be a lot easier to code and develop.

linus is very wrong here

i think what he meant was Port not emulate

the first Xbox used a celeron x86 cpu and to this day with the latest emulator there are ONLY 5 playable games

x86 is a mess and very very hard to emulate here is a quote from and

Originally Posted by blueshogun96"Xbox is just like a PC, it's easy to emulate!"

Yes, we've all heard this silly and pointless argument a million times and it usually ends in the same, and rather ignorant conclusion (or should I say assumption) that just because the Xbox is PC similar, it's hardware should be relatively easy to emulate. That's a very wrong frame of mind. How hard can it be? Very. Xbox's hardware is very complex and still poorly documented to this day. This requires some explanation.

1. Is a PC easy to emulate? Well, I wouldn't say so myself. Take a look at the source code from bochs. A lot of source code/work isn't it?

2. Emulating an x86 CPU is a lot harder than it sounds. I don't know where this mindless assumption comes from. Yes, there's loads of documentation on how the x86 processor works, but that doesn't exactly make it easy. First of all, the x86 instruction set is M-A-S-S-I-V-E! There can be at least 20 different versions of one instruction (i.e. There are many different versions of the MOV instruction, as well as INC, DEC, ADD, SUB, SHR, SHL, AND, OR, XOR etc.) and it takes time to implement them all. Of course, that's not exactly difficult. The real problem is that any modern x86 processor including the Pentium III can execute multiple instructions at once. So it's not like emulating a Z80 doing one instruction at a time. The actual algorithm and how x86 does this is undocumented and still unknown. In short, the Xbox's CPU can be emulated, but not accurately.

the xbox cpu is ancient and it was hell to emulate anything it

and since jaguar has a LOT of instructions ..... it will just be near impossible

we only have hope with RISC consoles not X86 consoles

new consol games will be easier to port but not to emulate even 10 years from now

linus is very wrong here

i think what he meant was Port not emulate

the first Xbox used a celeron x86 cpu and to this day with the latest emulator there are ONLY 5 playable games

x86 is a mess and very very hard to emulate here is a quote from and

the xbox cpu is ancient and it was hell to emulate anything it

and since jaguar has a LOT of instructions ..... it will just be near impossible

we only have hope with RISC consoles not X86 consoles

new consol games will be easier to port but not to emulate even 10 years from now

well he said port and emulate.

and the first xbox used a power pc single core processor.