Microsoft Changing Stances: Xbox One making more sense

Sundanc3

Insignificant compared to what MS has been trying to do now.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion for sure.

Linus had really good commentary on this on the last live stream.  I don't want to seem like a fanboy of any sort (I'm like all of us here a PC dude)... so I won't keep this on but count me a bit bummed for the features possibly lost because of this.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion for sure.

Linus had really good commentary on this on the last live stream.  I don't want to seem like a fanboy of any sort (I'm like all of us here a PC dude)... so I won't keep this on but count me a bit bummed for the features possibly lost because of this.

I don't doubt that you'll get some of them back with console updates.

I don't doubt that you'll get some of them back with console updates.

Possibly.  But it sounds like you have to compromise somewhere.

Yes, DRM checks online suck.  Yes... I can see why game resell control may upset people.

For me, I cared little for these being on Steam and Origin anyway. Always online... I'm ALWAYS ONLINE playing Crysis 3 and Skyrim... and you know what?  it really doesn't seem to make me feel uncomfortable in anyway.

And the stuff like cloud computing and family sharing was far more a plus for me then anything people were complaining about.  Now it's not going to be implemented BUT the gamers have spoken.

Microsoft dug themselves into a really deep hole. Even if they try to fix what they have done they will still be in that hole for a long time. Sales of the Xbox One (if people are smart) will never be as good as if they didn't try to screw the gamers over in the first place.

Possibly. But it sounds like you have to compromise somewhere.

Yes, DRM checks online suck. Yes... I can see why game resell control may upset people.

For me, I cared little for these being on Steam and Origin anyway. Always online... I'm ALWAYS ONLINE playing Crysis 3 and Skyrim... and you know what? it really doesn't seem to make me feel uncomfortable in anyway.

And the stuff like cloud computing and family sharing was far more a plus for me then anything people were complaining about. Now it's not going to be implemented BUT the gamers have spoken.

You aren't making sense to me honestly.

Steam and Origin have the understood pre-tense of "you aren't going to be able to trade/sell these games" (though that could change with Steam apparently soon).

Consoles have always been "Trade/sell freely" until now. It's different.

Yes, you are always online. But being online all the time on your PC doesn't require you to have a video or microphone always on, and always listening to you. Family sharing? ... You mean like how you can now trade games physically between members of your family (or non-members of your family, aka everyone else) as compared to the DRM version where you can freely trade games between up to 10 family members?

That's not a downgrade, that's an upgrade. Nothing has changed for family sharing, you can just share with everyone now freely (basically).

I just want to point one other very important thing out to you and everyone else. The Xbox One comes with a 500GB Hard Drive that you aren't allowed to upgrade apparently.

The PS3 exclusive games this generation ranged from ~15GB (Heavenly Sword) to 50+GB (MGS4). The games that were cross-platform were always 9GB or less because they had to be able to fit on the Xbox 360's DVD format.

Now that both consoles will have Blu-ray, all games will likely be at least ~15GB, if not 20+GB. A single-layer Blu-ray disc can hold 25GB and a dual-layer can hold 50GB.

The Xbox One originally would require you to install your games to your HDD to play them (thus allowing you to play them without the disc, if only temporarily).

How many games that are 15+GB can fit on a 500GB HDD? 35 or so at most.

And that's not EVEN counting the fact that the Xbox One is supposed to be "for TV" and be able to record gameplay/TV shows among many other "Storage hungry" applications. That's not counting Music, Pictures, or anything else. That's just assuming all you have on your non-upgrade-able HDD is games.

:| Whatever positives you think there might be to the XB1's old DRM plan, and I don't think there are any for anyone, they are overshadowed by the horrible negatives that it's just sad to think Microsoft, a massive corporation, can't realize how bad of an idea their plans were.

And honestly, if you seriously think there were good things to come of their old DRM plan, you are naive, foolish, or both.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

You aren't making sense to me honestly.

Steam and Origin have the understood pre-tense of "you aren't going to be able to trade/sell these games" (though that could change with Steam apparently soon).

And if Microsoft went about what they were going to do... it would also be 'understood'.

Consoles have always been "Trade/sell freely" until now. It's different.

So things stay the same... because it's been a certain way?  ... Like I said.. gamers have spoken and I'm cool.

Yes, you are always online. But being online all the time on your PC doesn't require you to have a video or microphone always on, and always listening to you.

Not sure on how this works but yeah, if Kinect always has to be on and engaged, that's a bit strange.  If its just a glorified webcam and microphone... then I don't see the problem.

Family sharing? ... You mean like how you can now trade games physically between members of your family (or non-members of your family, aka everyone else) as compared to the DRM version where you can freely trade games between up to 10 family members?

Its much more convinent to exchange games between 10 different xboxes DIGITALLY rather than sending out your physical copy and exchanging it.  My brother, my pal... who live far away or whatever can grab the game on the fly and play.  All at the flick of a button press.

That is better FOR ME, then exchanging a physical disk.

That's not a downgrade, that's an upgrade. Nothing has changed for family sharing, you can just share with everyone now freely (basically).

Yes.  One at a time.  (Basically).  And for me... this is no upgrade.

I just want to point one other very important thing out to you and everyone else. The Xbox One comes with a 500GB Hard Drive that you aren't allowed to upgrade apparently.

You can connect an external.  Just like... you guessed it a PC.

The PS3 exclusive games this generation ranged from ~15GB (Heavenly Sword) to 50+GB (MGS4). The games that were cross-platform were always 9GB or less because they had to be able to fit on the Xbox 360's DVD format.

Now that both consoles will have Blu-ray, all games will likely be at least ~15GB, if not 20+GB. A single-layer Blu-ray disc can hold 25GB and a dual-layer can hold 50GB.

The Xbox One originally would require you to install your games to your HDD to play them (thus allowing you to play them without the disc, if only temporarily).

How many games that are 15+GB can fit on a 500GB HDD? 35 or so at most.

And that's not EVEN counting the fact that the Xbox One is supposed to be "for TV" and be able to record gameplay/TV shows among many other "Storage hungry" applications. That's not counting Music, Pictures, or anything else. That's just assuming all you have on your non-upgrade-able HDD is games.

:| Whatever positives you think there might be to the XB1's old DRM plan, and I don't think there are any for anyone, they are overshadowed by the horrible negatives that it's just sad to think Microsoft, a massive corporation, can't realize how bad of an idea their plans were.

And honestly, if you seriously think there were good things to come of their old DRM plan, you are naive, foolish, or both.

Guess I'm both.  :)  I'm not the DRM checks, but yes there's potential for a big headache.  I get that.  I am just sayin there were some pretty cool features that I am sad to see go.  I'm not the ONLY one.

All of this is moot.

@jbcrazy,

Glad you took all that in good spirits.

The problem with the Kinect being on 24/7 (regardless of if the XB1 is off or not), and that you always have to have an internet connection (basically) is that the government (at least the US government) has a bad habit of abusing circumstance to spy on it's own citizens.

Call it paranoia, but it can only enable bad things to happen. 

I can completely understand the situation with your brother/pal. That is one positive, but I was saying that there are too many negatives.

About the external hard drive, I would find that a bit of a hassle honestly. 

And I'm not sure how TV providers would feel about you recording their shows on an external HDD. It's different for a DVR.

It might not be moot. Microsoft turned all this off with a single one time update. They could turn it all on just as easily. I don't trust them as they've shown their hand and what they want. And I'm not interested.

It's not so much their plans that bother me (though they do bother me), what truly bothers me is the idea/attitude behind said plans.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Entirely agreed, Vitalius. 

$100 more for the Xbox One when the PS4 is more powerful and more attractive. Not to mention PlayStation Plus gives you so many games for free each month - Xbox doesn't. Contrary to popular believe the deal right now for Gold members receiving two free games is a limited time offer which expires upon the Xbox One's launch and will not carry over. (Unless Microsoft change their minds - unlikely) 

I know which one I'm willing to spend money on.

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

that if a emualator does get release wtf is a point of getting a console

well eventully all games on consoles will be ported to pc cause the devs are gonna relize there is this nice thing called pc gaming.

I'm really disappointed that with these DRM changes that Microsoft also took away the family-sharing bit. That could've been great for even just downloaded games, kind of like home sharing from another program of a company who probably shouldn't be named in a thread about Microsoft products.

Im not a ps4 or xbox fan but if they kept all the cool features on the xbox  it would have given something to compete with vs the ps4 

microsoft just look more and more like a sore losers: they dint like our stuff so we are gonna punish em for taking away our drm

About the external hard drive, I would find that a bit of a hassle honestly. 

The whole notion of, "Oh, don't worry if you can't upgrade our proprietary 500GB internal drive -- just use an external", is so absurd, given how gaudy and gigantic their box is. It's going to look terrible enough in one's entertainment unit; let alone having external HDDs attached.  <_<

Intel 3960X @ 4.6GHz Corsair Dominator Platinum CMD64GX3M8A2133C9 64GB | ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | 2*ASUS PG279Q EVGA GeForce GTX Titan X | 2*Corsair Force GT 256GB in R0 [OS Drive] | Samsung 850 Pro 1TB [secondary Drive] Hitachi Deskstar 7K4000 Raid 6 [8*4TB — Media Array] | PAN-UJ-235A Blu-Ray Slot Load | PAN-UJ-875A DVD Slot Load | Corsair AX1200i | Corsair H100i | Lian-Li PC-V2120X | LSI 9271-8i w/ Intel RES2SV240 | Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit | Ducky Shine II [Cherry MX Brown / Blue LED]

so now its about the exclusives  again and not the drm what to buy now

Specs cpu:  i7 4770k  mobo: z87-pro RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB GPU: EVGA GTX 770 HDD: WD blue 1TB psu: TX750M case: 550D cooling: H100i monitor: Dell U2410/Samsung sa350

I <3 senheiser, ASUS, Corsair, Intel

For those that love Indie games:
http://www.geek.com/games/microsoft-confirms-indies-cant-self-publish-games-on-xbox-one-1556066/ 

It´s abit old but I haven't heard about this earlier....so...yeah. more games for Ps4! and PC! (hopefully)
And I haven´t heard anything about them changing this.

Microsoft sales attitude "so your a console gamer?" "Pftt ha! fuck you!! buy our crap and let us spy on you then we'll charge you an activation fee for every game you buy thats pre-owned and you have to pay each month or no games will work at all, the kinect will spy on you all day and if you use our cable service you have to pay again, and if you want cloud storage pay again, haaaa! suckers!" safe to say microsoft and Xbox One, have EA'd it.

I still don't understand why PC people are so angry about the used games even tho on PC most games are downloaded

I (used) buy a lot of used games for Xbox because it is a lot cheaper.

In my opinion the fact is, even with all these changes now, what is probably going to happen is that all of these hated, devil like features are probably going to be slowly introduced in the future. Get all that money from the sales and mess the customers over imo.

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?