Samsung Files Complaint with ITC to Block Nvidia Chips From US Markets

ImNotARobot

This will probably not succeed but... Let's imagine nvidia not being able to sell their GPUs in the US for a month or two.

I wonder how the world would react. This would be crazy looking at the NCIX website and seeing only AMD video cards on sale...

Feel free to eleborate on the consequences for fun.

Basically this is a case of an eye for an eye thing, huh. this could of easily just been a NV vs Qualcomm battle but NV went after Samsung (I don't know why they didn't go for other phone companies using the same chips) for using Qualcomm chips and tried to get some of samsung's phones banned, so now Samsung is trying to do the same to NV.

I seriously doubt that this will pass though court, but I guesst Samsung is just trying to scare NV into thinking twice before trying to put a ban on samsung phones.

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Basically this is a case of an eye for an eye thing, huh. this could of easily just been a NV vs Qualcomm battle but NV went after Samsung (I don't know why they didn't go for other phone companies using the same chips) for using Qualcomm chips and tried to get some of samsung's phones banned, so now Samsung is trying to do the same to NV.

I seriously doubt that this will pass though court, but I guesst Samsung is just trying to scare NV into thinking twice before trying to put a ban on samsung phones.

Nvidia is after Samsung for supposedly stealing Nvidia's GPU architecture and implementing it in the Samsung Exynos chips which went into Samsung's phones.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Nvidia is after Samsung for supposedly stealing Nvidia's GPU architecture and implementing it in the Samsung Exynos chips which went into Samsung's phones.

I see, however, I still think that samsung doubt this would go through but I assuming that samsung is trying to scare NV into dropping their current lawsuit

CPU amd phenom ii x4 965 @ 3.4Ghz | Motherboard msi 970a-g46 | RAM 2x 4GB Team Elite | GPU XFX Radeon HD 7870 DD | Case NZXT Gamma Classic | HDD 750 GB Hitachi | PSU ocz modxstream pro 600w

Oh fuck off Samsung. You laptops are shite, your phones are shite, your made of shite.

This WILL NOT PASS, if it does, I have officially lost faith in humanity and welcome our new over-lords, who ever they turn out to be.

egt2s.jpg

I wonder if Nvidia will use Samsung Memory on it's Graphics Cards any more?

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

I see, however, I still think that samsung doubt this would go through but I assuming that samsung is trying to scare NV into dropping their current lawsuit

Also, note that Samsung has WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY (did I say way?) more money then NVIDIA does. Samsung can afford to throw lawyers at NVIDIA all day long.

Samsung Net Worth: Around $30Bn (that would be Billion) USD

NVIDIA Net Worth: Somewhere between $6Bn and $10Bn USD

Who knows who is guilty and who is innocent. Samsung has been involved in their fair share of illegal fuckery. But they've also been on the receiving end of Patent Trolling WAY too many times - especially from Apple.

So it could go either way. NVIDIA could just be trying to capitalize on the deep pockets of Samsung. They likely feel that if they can win against Samsung, then going after the other phone manufacturers will be a lot easier, since there will be legal precedent set.

Or, Samsung could be guilty somehow.

I absolutely LOVE how many people in this thread are just jumping to conclusions though, and assuming one or the other is guilty. Why don't we just wait for the court battle, and see who wins and what facts emerge?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Oh fuck off Samsung. You laptops are shite, your phones are shite, your made of shite.

This WILL NOT PASS, if it does, I have officially lost faith in humanity and welcome our new over-lords, who ever they turn out to be.

egt2s.jpg

I wonder if Nvidia will use Samsung Memory on it's Graphics Cards any more?

*cough* this just makes my point.

@Alexp10v2 how do you know Samsung is guilty? You just gonna take NVIDIA's word on it? How about we wait for the evidence from both sides?

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

*cough* this just makes my point.

@Alexp10v2 how do you know Samsung is guilty? You just gonna take NVIDIA's word on it? How about we wait for the evidence from both sides?

If Nvidia is guilty, what Samsung is asking for is complete crap, a ban of Nvidia sales in the US? I wouldn't go that far. I think this fighting in courts is going too far. Personally, I'm not an Nvidia Fan boy, I have hated things they have done in the past, but I'm siding with them on this argument. 

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

too many ignorant people in these forums at the moment.

It's a pretty basic legal dispute and yet everyone has missed the core issues in their efforts to hate on a company.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

what kind of pills are they taking at samsung?

meanwhile at AMD

Suspicious-Fry.jpg

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

too many ignorant people in these forums at the moment.

It's a pretty basic legal dispute and yet everyone has missed the core issues in their efforts to hate on a company.

don't worry, i hated it anyway(samsung that is)

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

If Nvidia is guilty, what Samsung is asking for is complete crap, a ban of Nvidia sales in the US? I wouldn't go that far. I think this fighting in courts is going too far. Personally, I'm not an Nvidia Fan boy, I have hated things they have done in the past, but I'm siding with them on this argument. 

Samsung's counter-suit is for:

Samsung retaliated Nov. 4 with a patent-infringement suit in federal court in Richmond, Virginia. In that case, Suwon, South Korea-based Samsung claims Nvidia and one of its customers infringe as many as eight patents. That lawsuit targets Nvidia’s Shield tablet computers.

So far, their claim has just as much evidence as NVIDIA's claim, yet you believe/side with NVIDIA?

Again, let's wait for the evidence to come out. It could very well be that Samsung is just bullshitting/fucking with NVIDIA. Or the claim could have merit. We just don't know.

Well how i see it is samsung went "oh nvidia is being a dick going after us instead of our suppliers. So let's be a dick to them and get rid of sales in the US".

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

You guys do know Nvidia started this.... lol

Yeah

I think this is a huge dick move by Samsung and I hope they lose (this particular block request) but seriously, what's up with all the hate against Samsung?

Nvidia is basically a little skinny dork throwing a rock at the biggest muscular guy in the class, and people get mad when the big guy defends himself? Not saying that pummeling the little dork to the ground is a honorable move but Nvidia had it coming.

Huh, I thought people praised their "wonder ram".

Didn't you get the memo? It's cool to hate on Samsung these days. Let's ignore all their fantastic products and generalize the rest as being bad.

That's only partially true. Devices that are using Qualcomm chips are also on the list of infringing devices according to Nvidia. So they are not just going after the Exynos chips.

Samsung isn't the ones designing the GPU for the Exynos chips either. It's ARM and Imagination's design.

my tax dollars going to this shit... im sick of all the court tired of all the big name manufacturing companies being bitches. sick of all the political bull shit. Its just a money grab. its always about the money.

e.g steam and gabe newell.

SHUT YOUR MOUTH

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Samsung's counter-suit is for:

So far, their claim has just as much evidence as NVIDIA's claim, yet you believe/side with NVIDIA?

Again, let's wait for the evidence to come out. It could very well be that Samsung is just bullshitting/fucking with NVIDIA. Or the claim could have merit. We just don't know.

I'm siding with Nvidia mainly due to how many times Samsung has been in court (Taken other companies to court or defending themselves) I agree with you and wait for the evidence, but I just have a feeling that this counter-suite won't stick, hence my siding with Nvidia.

This all started when Samsung claimed Nvidia used over-inflated benchmarks on it's Tegra K1 when it beat the Note 4, Nvidia came back basically saying "you used our technologies illegally"  and now Samsung has shot back with this.

I don't know who's in the right and who's in the wrong, but we'll see when this plays out.

Edit: The main issue I have with this court case is what Samsung is asking for, a ban of all sales of Nvidia products in the US. It doesn't affect me as I'm not from the US, but still, I think it's stupid.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

Well how i see it is samsung went "oh nvidia is being a dick going after us instead of our suppliers. So let's be a dick to them and get rid of sales in the US".

Yes, Nvidia went after the wrong company in this, I think they are going after Samsung since they are the "big dogs" in the mobile and chip industry (they practically make a bit of everything) and are hoping they can control their suppliers.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 

Oh fuck off Samsung. Your phones suck. Your tablets suck. Your RAM is mediocre. Your TVs are meh. Your SSDs are pretty great. Get rid of the shit you suck at, and stick to what you don't.

To be fair their smart tv's and home theaters are as good as anyone else's in a similar price bracket and their phones/tablets are fine touchwiz ruins them.

I have always had pretty amazing customer service with samsung though when it comes to warranty issues.

Samsung has pretty much everything, even life insurance.

They're pretty huge in construction also.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

To be fair their smart tv's and home theaters are as good as anyone else's in a similar price bracket and their phones/tablets are fine touchwiz ruins them.

I have always had pretty amazing customer service with samsung though when it comes to warranty issues.

They're pretty huge in construction also.

I hate their phones and tablets. Far to plasticy and cheap feeling.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I hate their phones and tablets. Far to plasticy and cheap feeling.

Same could be said for 90% of the market Nvidia tablets included. Samsung used to make a lot of metal phones hell the toughest phone I ever owned was a old samsung F480(still works also) it put old nokia phones to shame. I don't use Samsung phones/tablets anymore but that's mainly because I have a reason to want my phones waterproof...

Depending on the plastic used it can actually be a lot stronger then the cheap Aluminum used in many phones there's a reason all Aluminum parts are considered to be only for shelf queens in the RC hobby and inferior to all but the cheapest plastics.

| CPU: i7-4770K @4.6 GHz, | CPU cooler: NZXT Kraken x61 + 2x Noctua NF-A14 Industrial PPC PWM 2000RPM  | Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB(2x8GB) 2133MHz, 11-11-11-27(Red) | GPU: 2x MSI R9 290 Gaming Edition  | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250gb | HDD: Seagate ST1000DX001 SSHD 1TB + 4x Seagate ST4000DX001 SSHD 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM1000 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 Black | Fans: 1x NZXT FZ 200mm Red LED 3x Aerocool Dead Silence 140mm Red Edition 2x Aerocool Dead Silence 120mm Red Edition  | LED lighting: NZXT Hue RGB |

This all started when Samsung claimed Nvidia used over-inflated benchmarks on it's Tegra K1 when it beat the Note 4, Nvidia came back basically saying "you used our technologies illegally"  and now Samsung has shot back with this.

No, Nvidia was seeking a ban on Samsung devices BEFORE Samsung accused them of cheating in benchmarks. If you are going to take a side then make sure your facts are correct.

Same could be said for 90% of the market Nvidia tablets included. Samsung used to make a lot of metal phones hell the toughest phone I ever owned was a old samsung F480(still works also) it put old nokia phones to shame. I don't use Samsung phones/tablets anymore but that's mainly because I have a reason to want my phones waterproof...

Depending on the plastic used it can actually be a lot stronger then the cheap Aluminum used in many phones there's a reason alloy parts are considered for shelf queens in the RC hobby.

I had an old samsung flip hone that survived a 30-story drop onto concrete and only got scratched ;) I hated the thing but God was it durable.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd