Samsung Announces Five New 4K Monitors To Be Released 2015 - All Of Them Support FreeSync

LAwLz

are there any compromising choosing free sync over gsync? obviously freesync is free, so im guessing it wont be as "powerful" as g-sync? 

We won't know until people can actually get their hands on one, but AMD claims that it is just as good (of course).

i7-5820k  |  MSI X99S SLI-Plus  |  4x4GB HyperX 2400 DDR4  |  Sapphire Radeon R9 295X2  |  Samsung 840 EVO 1TB x2  |  Corsair AX1200i  |  Corsair H100i  |  NZXT H440 Razer

Posted this on another thread.

Think it is pertinent :

From what I read about G-sync, what it does is that it syncs the monitor refresh rate with the GPU on the fly. That is particularly important in games, since the fps (refresh rate of the gpu) on a game engine can have a random nature and shift in real time. One second the game can be running at 130 fps and the second later it can drop to 90, then increase to 125,then drop to 107 and so on. It is random. Depends on a lot of factors on the game itself and the rest of your system.

G-sync keeps the monitor synced with the game refresh rate at all times and in real time. To me that is what g-sync does what why it needs it's hardware module on the monitor with its own processor and memory.

Is freesync comparable? That is the real question. I never saw or heard of a freesync demo where the monitor was synced in real time to a randomly shifting refresh.

Freesync until now only synced GPU with monitors for fixed scenes. Not game engines running in real time.

IPS is an LG tech, so only LG panels can be IPS. Samsungs will probably be some sort of VA tech, PVA and/or VA, or something similar, I would guess.

Samsung uses usually PLS if I'm not terribly mistaken. (And I might well be.)

are there any compromising choosing free sync over gsync? obviously freesync is free, so im guessing it wont be as "powerful" as g-sync? 

Theoretically both should be awesome and achieve the same end effect.

But we will have to wait for independent reviews.

Samsung uses usually PLS if I'm not terribly mistaken. (And I might well be.)

Indeed, PLS seems to be Samsung high end panel with good viewangles and colour reproduction, but they are usually very expensive right? Would love a curved 34" 21:9 3440x1440 PLS monitor with Adaptive Sync from Samsung at a much better price than LG's IPS ones. But it will probably be a year or two anyways.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Oooh, I'd like a UHD display that's between 23 and 24 inches. Anything larger is too large IMHO.

Definitely a pretty good win for AMD. Many manufacturers will just flock to free-sync as it doesn't require licensing fees and also being a somewhat part of VESA's standard, they might as well put it in their monitors.

Hopefully, no one will be make G-sync monitor anymore to force Nvidia using VESA adaptive sync, making freesync almost an industry standard :P

IPS is an LG tech, so only LG panels can be IPS. Samsungs will probably be some sort of VA tech, PVA and/or VA, or something similar, I would guess.

Samsung has their own version of IPS called PLS which is basically the same thing. They will probably use that.

Well Acer have a 4K Gsync 28" out for $799 at the moment so I hope these will be cheaper than that. 

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Nice, but knowing Samshit they probably have over saturated shitty oled screens.

Article OP posted says 1.1. So is the article wrong (not saying it isn't)? 

"FreeSync will be supported in a range of AMD's graphics cards, athough not all of them: you'll need a GCN 1.1 GPU or higher, like the Radeon R9 290 or R9 290X." 

From what I see 1.1 means the True Audio cards. 285 I think is GCN 2.0? So that should have it as well. 

It's GCN 1.2

Gsync ?

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

AMD leading the way. Glad I bought my R9 290. However, I'm not sure about the Asus VG248QE. Though, it is a great monitor. Perhaps I should have waited until 2015?

:/ waiting for a 1440p version

Waiting for 4K IPS panel @ 144hz!

Indeed, PLS seems to be Samsung high end panel with good viewangles and colour reproduction, but they are usually very expensive right? Would love a curved 34" 21:9 3440x1440 PLS monitor with Adaptive Sync from Samsung at a much better price than LG's IPS ones. But it will probably be a year or two anyways.

Yes samsung use PLS

My 1440p AOC monitor uses a samsung PLS panel, and its one of the cheapest 1440p screens in the uk

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I wait patiently for the 21:9 monitor applications and for the 1:1 monitor applications for those with more squared tastes.

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

Is 2015 gonna be the year of 4k?

Meaning, would it be stupid to buy a 1440p monitor this December? Even if it is a 144hz model?

Cheers!

:sigh: When will we have monitors that both support G-Sync and FreeSync??

all new g sync monitors with displayport 1.2a or higher will support free sync

they will be pretty much the same as they achieve the same purpose

Posted this on another thread.

Think it is pertinent :

From what I read about G-sync, what it does is that it syncs the monitor refresh rate with the GPU on the fly. That is particularly important in games, since the fps (refresh rate of the gpu) on a game engine can have a random nature and shift in real time. One second the game can be running at 130 fps and the second later it can drop to 90, then increase to 125,then drop to 107 and so on. It is random. Depends on a lot of factors on the game itself and the rest of your system.

G-sync keeps the monitor synced with the game refresh rate at all times and in real time. To me that is what g-sync does what why it needs it's hardware module on the monitor with its own processor and memory.

Is freesync comparable? That is the real question. I never saw or heard of a freesync demo where the monitor was synced in real time to a randomly shifting refresh.

Freesync until now only synced GPU with monitors for fixed scenes. Not game engines running in real time.

? adaptive sync is already a common and proven technology on laptops providing real time variable refresh

all new g sync monitors with displayport 1.2a or higher will support free sync

I think you are only partially right about that.

My understanding could be outdated, but as far as I know, that according to the VESA standard, Adaotive Sync is an OPTIONAL part of the standard and not mandatory.  So this means just because a monitor is made with DP 1.2, it doesn't mean that it will support Adaptive Sync.  

Rock On!

I don't know about the gritty specifics but it seems nvidia stands to lose money where AMD wants to embrace an open standard. Nvidia is more about money, AMD seems to be more about the people. 

:sigh: When will we have monitors that both support G-Sync and FreeSync??

All the monitor needs to support, is Adaptive-Sync, remember that FreeSync is AMD's software side compliment to the Adaptive-Sync DP standard (Even if AMD helped make that a reality). Though once most gaming monitors support Adaptive-Sync, NVIDIA will jump on board, since they can most likely modify the GPU/Software side of G-Sync to work with Adaptive-Sync.

It is possible to have both in 1 monitor. But that'll be more expensive than just one option. I hope we'll get a standard some day.

You could in theory probably build a monitor with both a G-Sync module, as well as a Adaptive-Sync Scaler, but I doubt it would be practical, since both pieces do the same thing. Unless there was a hardware "switch" inside, but that would definitely increase the cost.

Newer monitors that feature G-Sync will probably also support FreeSync.

Possible. Hard to say though, since G-Sync requires a separate module. Quite possible though.

Or Nvidia can just suck it up and support FreeSync along with their G-Sync. Doubt it, they wan't to dig everyone's pockets like they always do.

Eventually they'll just rebrand G-Sync so that there is no separate G-Sync module. That's my guess. The software side of G-Sync can likely be modified to support Adaptive-Sync.

I dont think its possible, unless you get nVidia to write something into the G-Sync processing module in the monitor itself to handle FreeSync. Since the monitor scalor and other hardware has to support it, and in G-Sync monitors, that stuff all comes direct from nVidia.

Seeing as nVidia refuses to have anything to do with FreeSync whatsoever, dont hold your breath.

FreeSync is only AMD's software side compliment. NVIDIA can, and will (eventually), support Adaptive-Sync, which is the monitor-side component and standard.

Honestly we just don't know. We'll have to wait for actual production Adaptive-Sync/FreeSync monitors to hit reviewers. I'm definitely looking forward to a Anandtech, PCPer, and Hardware Canucks review of them.

What?

No.... No it's not. Not exclusively anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPS_panel

After thorough analysis, details of advantageous molecular arrangements were filed in Germany by Guenter Baur et al. and patented in various countries including the US on January 9, 1990.[3][4] The Fraunhofer Society in Freiburg, where the inventors worked, assigned these patents to Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany.

Shortly thereafter, Hitachi of Japan filed patents to improve this technology. A leader in this field was Katsumi Kondo, who worked at the Hitachi Research Center.[5]

Later, LG and other South Korean, Japanese, and Taiwanese LCD manufacturers adapted IPS technology.

Manufacturers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPS_panel#Manufacturers

LG Display (mentioned as largest supplier of IPS LCDs in 2012)[15]

Samsung Display

Sony Professional Display

Japan Display Inc.

Panasonic Liquid Crystal Display Co., Ltd

AU Optronics

LG is simply the LARGEST supplier of IPS.

Samsung does have it's own proprietary version though, PLS (Or Super PLS), which was mentioned above.

Unless you can provide another link that explicitly states LG owns exclusive rights to IPS technology?

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)