g3258 vs amd cpu for gaming

People continue to ask and answer the question about getting the g3258 or an amd cpu. This question has many different answers based on what you like to do most often. Too bad every single question on this forum, about this cpu, is gaming related. People constantly recommend the multicore amd cpu over this dual core for other tasks different from gaming when the OP only asked about the gaming capabilities of the cpu... Referring to the much talked about frame rate over the time of the cpu, this is mostly irrelevant because there are many games that plain don't run on amd cpu's, mmos most notably. Most people would rather be able to run the game, than not.

This site gives you the most information about this topic, relating to real world results.

Even if you have a baws gpu and you pair it with the g3258 or similar performing amd cpu, OF COURSE the cpu is holding back the gpu BUT both cpu's are used as "stepping stones" on your way to more powerful cpu's. There is only one problem, you cant upgrade to a better amd cpu...(for gaming)

You buy the g3258 to push more money into your gpu so that later you can upgrade to an i5/i7. You don't get an amd cpu because any i5 2xxx cpu will stomp the fx 9590 in gaming. 

You buy the multicore amd cpu's for productivity while gaming is of lesser concern. In this case, amd makes way more sense when you buy a $160 8 core amd vs a $1000 8 core from intel.

Edit*

I KNOW THE g3258 MIGHT NOT BE AS STABLE IN GAMING AS THE AMD CPU, BUT YOU CAN LATER UPGRADE TO A WAY BETTER CPU THAN AMD HAS EVER MADE! Unless you care more about the "out of the box" experience, which is probably more people than I think there is.

Edited by boboman342

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

You buy the multicore amd cpu's for productivity while gaming is of lesser concern. In this case, amd makes way more sense when you buy a $160 8 core amd vs a $1000 8 core from intel.

You can't compare those two CPU's. The 5960x is miles above the 8320 in every single way. They're not even remotely close. Instead, compare it to a 4690k (quad core, no HT) to a 8320 in terms of productivity.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

AMD quad cores are more stable in gaming than the dual core Pentium, which has random dips in FPS over time.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/253033-amd-fx6300-35ghz-best-cpu-for-the-money-100/?p=3468159

They may be "more stable" but can you play mmos? No. Can you play games that depend on strong cores with amd cpu's? No.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

They may be "more stable" but can you play mmos? No. Can you play games that depend on strong cores with amd cpu's? No.

You're talking to an MMO junkie...

You can't compare those two CPU's. The 5960x is miles above the 8320 in every single way. They're not even remotely close. Instead, compare it to a 4690k (quad core, no HT) to a 8320 in terms of productivity.

I'm talking about core count. You can get cheap multicore amd cpu's for productivity, but not on the intel platform unless you spend loads of $$$.

An fx 8350 with a decent overclock can hold it's own against most i5s in most games.  And you can always switch motherboards later on if you want to switch to intel.

Yes, you are correct, but that isn't the point. You pick the g3258 to be able to play whatever game you want AND be able to upgrade it later.

You're talking to an MMO junkie...

Good, so you understand me.

I'm talking about core count. You can get cheap multicore amd cpu's for productivity, but not on the intel platform unless you spend loads of $$$.

Cores don't matter, just look at the fore-mentioned 4690k and 8320 for example. The 4690k is pretty much the same in fully threaded benchmarks compared to the 8320, but it has half the cores.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

That's up to you, the G3258 after a good OC (let me remind you OC'ing can some times be like gambling) can push an impressive single threaded performance, but it has 2 threads.

Are you playing something like WoW or heavily modded minecraft where you need good single core performance? Or are you just enjoying high graphic detail games like Bioshock infinite? How much do you multitask? What do you do when you multitask? Are you playing games that require over 2 threads like AC Unity (I think it was that game or some COD game that requires it)?

Ok that phrase: "the i5 2xxx will stop it in gaming", that's just wrong. A FX 8320 with some OC will only differ in 1-5 frames in the large majority of games  agains a Haswell i5. There are very few benchmarks that show CPUs like the AMD 8350 loosing over 5 frames against haswell CPUs, even Arma 3 a very CPU demanding title known for it's crappy optimization at launch makes little difference with those CPUs: see below

CPU_03.png

It's true than you can upgrade to a better CPU down the road with the Pentium-K, but it's up to you if you are ever going to do it, or even buy a decent Z97 mobo that spices up the price.

Planetside 2

FireFall

Dragon's Prophet

SWTOR

Runescape

Blacklight: Retrobution

Tribes:Ascend

Hawken

Warface.

Yes, you are correct, but that isn't the point. You pick the g3258 to be able to play whatever game you want AND be able to upgrade it later.

Uhm... No.

You cant play whatever you want.

CoD:AW locks out dual cores.

BF4, Watch Dogs, Unity, Crysis 3, and many others all tank in FPS on dual cores.

Cores don't matter, just look at the fore-mentioned 4690k and 8320 for example. The 4690k is pretty much the same in fully threaded benchmarks compared to the 8320, but it has half the cores.

But the amd will do better in productivity applications....not in gaming.

Good, so you understand me.

No. I don't.

You don't know what you are really talking about.

Now quit being a fanboy and listen to reason for once.

But the amd will do better in productivity applications....not in gaming.

The 4690k is pretty much the same in fully threaded benchmarks compared to the 8320, but it has half the cores.

RIP in pepperonis m8s

I will recommend the Athlon x4 over the pentium when it's right, and the pentium over the athlon when it's right.

But, the Athlon is the right cpu in most cases.

Planetside 2

FireFall

Dragon's Prophet

SWTOR

Runescape

Blacklight: Retrobution

Tribes:Ascend

Hawken

Warface.

Uhm... No.

You cant play whatever you want.

CoD:AW locks out dual cores.

BF4, Watch Dogs, Unity, Crysis 3, and many others all tank in FPS on dual cores.

LOL ME STOP BEING A FANBOY?!?!?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8232/overclockable-pentium-anniversary-edition-review-the-intel-pentium-g3258-ae

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/06/24/intel-pentium-g3258-review/5

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1265?vs=1289

I will recommend the Athlon x4 over the pentium when it's right, and the pentium over the athlon when it's right.

But, the Athlon is the right cpu in most cases.

Yes, recommend a "better cpu" now, and forfeit the ability to upgrade in the future, GREAT RECOMMENDATION!

Except the i5 kicks the amd's ass in gaming.

I have an fx-4130 and I can play mmos just fine... 

I can also play heavily modded minecraft just fine while also having a billion tabs open.

Personaly, for the games i play, i'd much rather have an FX-4300 or an athlon 860K than a pentium G3258 if i would have to pick a cpu as a keeper amongst those.

a core i3 and a cheap H81 motherboard would be a better choice though.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

That's up to you, the G3258 after a good OC (let me remind you OC'ing can some times be like gambling) can push an impressive single threaded performance, but it has 2 threads.

Are you playing something like WoW or heavily modded minecraft where you need good single core performance? Or are you just enjoying high graphic detail games like Bioshock infinite? How much do you multitask? What do you do when you multitask? Are you playing games that require over 2 threads like AC Unity (I think it was that game or some COD game that requires it)?

Ok that phrase: "the i5 2xxx will stop it in gaming", that's just wrong. A FX 8320 with some OC will only differ in 1-5 frames in the large majority of games  agains a Haswell i5. There are very few benchmarks that show CPUs like the AMD 8350 loosing over 5 frames against haswell CPUs, even Arma 3 a very CPU demanding title known for it's crappy optimization at launch makes little difference with those CPUs: see below

CPU_03.png

It's true than you can upgrade to a better CPU down the road with the Pentium-K, but it's up to you if you are ever going to do it, or even buy a decent Z97 mobo that spices up the price.

Well you can get cheap boards if you dont plan on getting a i5/i7 k model.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/06/24/intel-pentium-g3258-review/5

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1265?vs=1289

Personaly, for the games i play, i'd much rather have an FX-4300 or an athlon 860K than a pentium G3258 if i would have to pick a cpu as a keeper amongst those.

But how do you feel about the cpu's you can "upgrade" to on the same socket? Strictly speaking about gaming.

I have an fx-4130 and I can play mmos just fine... 

I can also play heavily modded minecraft just fine while also having a billion tabs open.

That's because you have more cores for random shit. You cant have tons of random stuff running in the background when gaming on the g3258.

The Pentium is a good CPU in its own area.

Games that use a MAX of two threads.

For ANYTHING ELSE go with a quad or more.