g3258 vs amd cpu for gaming

With cheap cpu's like this, wouldn't you agree that the platform might be of higher concern?

I do not.

with cheap CPUs, the performance is even more important, as if you're going for a CPU like this, it's not likely you have the cash to upgrade any time soon anyway.

Wasn't the g3258 on Frys.com for $55?

Anyways, seeing how i5 2xxx's crush even the fx 9590 in gaming, that's pretty bad amd. It makes more sence to buy the g3258 and motherboard that will support the i4 4440/4460 like the Gigabyte GA-H81M-H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard for $40 rather than replacing your amd cpu AND motherboard for an i5/i7. 

You will save money with the intel option (save money, intel, same sentence, wut) unless you never plan to upgrade your computer (some people don't)

Crush? oh ho ho.. someone's fallen for marketing BS...

I would hardly call 3 FPS lead crushing...

I do not.

with cheap CPUs, the performance is even more important, as if you're going for a CPU like this, it's not likely you have the cash to upgrade any time soon anyway.

And given the fact that since the cpu/mobo were cheap, you could probably not think twice about getting a better cpu+mobo from either vendor, if you had the money.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

And given the fact that since the cpu/mobo were cheap, you could probably not think twice about getting a better cpu+mobo from either vendor, if you had the money.

you never buy a computer based on "Future proofing" alone.

It is about out of box experience.

Today? The Athlon x4 740 ($70) is better than the pentium AE ($70)

Crush? oh ho ho.. someone's fallen for marketing BS...

I would hardly call 3 FPS lead crushing...

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1265?vs=1289

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/06/24/intel-pentium-g3258-review/5

^ prove otherwise.

And is the frame timings really THAT bad? As many people make it out to be? I mean screen tearing is bad, but people get used to it and they don't really think about it anymore. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

In what? Frame times? Because it sure isn't winning in the fps department.

In what? Frame times? Because it sure isn't winning in the fps department.

Better overall FPS, MUCH MUCH MUCH better minumums.

Better overall FPS, MUCH MUCH MUCH better minumums.

This shows better MIN AND AVG frame rates than even the fx 8350! What are you talking about?

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1265?vs=1289

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2014/06/24/intel-pentium-g3258-review/5

^ prove otherwise.

And is the frame timings really THAT bad? As many people make it out to be? I mean screen tearing is bad, but people get used to it and they don't really think about it anymore. 

it is...the pentium stutter a lot from my experience and is not smooth at all...demanding games keeps taking small pauses all the time to let the cpu keep up and it makes many game not enjoyable on high settings and hard to play really...listen carefuly to my video on HD full screen and youll notice all the stuttering and its even worst when you experience it on live:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub3lzTplYxM&feature=youtu.be

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

it is...the pentium stutter a lot from my experience and is not smooth at all...demanding games keeps taking small pauses all the time to let the cpu keep up and it makes many game not enjoyable on high settings and hard to play really...listen carefuly to my video on HD full screen and youll notice all the stuttering and its even worst when you experience it on live:

http://techreport.com/review/26735/overclocking-intel-pentium-g3258-anniversary-edition-processor/3

^ Shows low frame times in the same game...you must of had a bad experience? With a dual core, doing ANYTHING other than gaming or having other things running in the background could be causing that too.

-snip-

I showed you legitimate websites saying you were wrong...pls dun b mad bby...

http://techreport.com/review/26735/overclocking-intel-pentium-g3258-anniversary-edition-processor/3

^ Shows low frame times in the same game...you must of had a bad experience? With a dual core, doing ANYTHING other than gaming or having other things running in the background could be causing that too.

i know that... a dual core like that has a hard time just running windows processes and web browsing at the same time, its pretty bad.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

True. Didn't really think of it like that (might of accidentally ignored that too). Given that the cpu+mobo combo are pretty cheap, you wouldn't be losing much $$$ when upgrading, in the grand scheme of things.

I showed you legitimate websites saying you were wrong...pls dun b mad bby...

You're giving advice about gaming and computers when you have a i7 and a 270x, sounds about right. You know all about what to upgrade.

I'd say the 750k would be a better option over 740 as it is overclockable and when both are overclocked offer close performancce with each other in productivity http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-12.html 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I'd say the 750k would be a better option over 740 as it is overclockable and when both are overclocked offer close performancce with each other in productivity http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-12.html 

you can OC the 740.

people these days keep forgetting about Bclock...

you can OC the 740.

people these days keep forgetting about Bclock...

oh well if it overclocks well then I would say it's a good chip to go up with the G3258 pretty much right with them.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Pentium is just plain junk for a normal user who uses something along with gaming. Its good for people who just start their PC and fire a game especially ones like Skyrim which runs better on Intel. But even without anything running AMD beats Pentium in games like BF4,COD, Watch Dogs and the list goes on. Overclocking is the luck of the draw and not always a good option. Still AMD too clocks well. Below I5s and top I3s Intel has nothing to offer. Nowadays games use more cores. So.....That's it.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

Pentium is just plain junk for a normal user who uses something along with gaming. Its good for people who just start their PC and fire a game especially ones like Skyrim which runs better on Intel. But even without anything running AMD beats Pentium in games like BF4,COD, Watch Dogs and the list goes on. Overclocking is the luck of the draw and not always a good option. Still AMD too clocks well. Below I5s and top I3s Intel has nothing to offer. Nowadays games use more cores. So.....That's it.

Yes, we know, but overclocking this pentium is not "luck of the draw" anymore. I'd bet $1,000,000 anyone can get it to at least 4Ghz! AMD does not beat the pentium in the games you just mentioned. (ie this and this or this) The only cpu below the i3's that make any scene is the pentium AE...

I believe the statement of games using more cores, because most new AAA games do! Game like guild wars 2 and the borderlands saga don't though, just to name a few off the top of my head.

You're giving advice about gaming and computers when you have a i7 and a 270x, sounds about right. You know all about what to upgrade.

LOL I built a gaming pc for $500 with the fx 6350 and r9 270x about a year and a half ago...I'm slowly upgrading. 

Second, THERE ARE TONS OF MOTHER FUCKING SMART AS FUCK people on this forum whos pc's cant even open WOW! Don't even pull that shit in here.

LOL I built a gaming pc for $500 with the fx 6350 and r9 270x about a year and a half ago...I'm slowly upgrading. 

Second, THERE ARE TONS OF MOTHER FUCKING SMART AS FUCK people on this forum whos pc's cant even open WOW! Don't even pull that shit in here.

I built a gaming pc using the FX-4300 somewhere around the same time (very very tight budget of £330). That FX-4300 is still kicking ass in games now, and runs games like BF4 beautifully in ultra on a full 64 person server at 1080p; with an average frame rate of 80. So I don't get what you are on about. The Tomb Raider remake gets 110fps average with everything on max settings on my system, and I get around 100fps (Max 150+ and min of 70 with Vsync off) on skyrim on average with a few mods included. MMO's run great as well, such as star trek online, wow, eve, and so on. Some of those benchmarks you are posting seem a little screwy if you ask me, because the AMD chips perform better than they show; even in cpu intensive games. Not saying they run better than the i5's and i7's, but that pentium is far too weak for the price; and only because it is a dual core. Minimum recommended cpu at the moment should be a quad core, and nothing less than that, doesn't matter if it is Intel or AMD.

I built a gaming pc using the FX-4300 somewhere around the same time (very very tight budget of £330). That FX-4300 is still kicking ass in games now, and runs games like BF4 beautifully in ultra on a full 64 person server at 1080p; with an average frame rate of 80. So I don't get what you are on about. The Tomb Raider remake gets 110fps average with everything on max settings on my system, and I get around 100fps (Max 150+ and min of 70 with Vsync off) on skyrim on average with a few mods included. MMO's run great as well, such as star trek online, wow, eve, and so on. Some of those benchmarks you are posting seem a little screwy if you ask me, because the AMD chips perform better than they show; even in cpu intensive games. Not saying they run better than the i5's and i7's, but that pentium is far too weak for the price; and only because it is a dual core. Minimum recommended cpu at the moment should be a quad core, and nothing less than that, doesn't matter if it is Intel or AMD.

Well sorry. I never thought the charts from these websites would not represent the actual performance...much like the intel-vs-amd with the pentium 4 scandal! 

Given the fact of having a tight budget, getting the best performance out of the box, across the board, is the best thing to work for. Also, given the fact that the cpu/mobo for your budget build isn't "expensive" when compared to other upgrades, the pentium might not be such of a contender as people wanted it to be. Like Toms Hardware said, "A cpu we want, but don't need."

Yes, we know, but overclocking this pentium is not "luck of the draw" anymore. I'd bet $1,000,000 anyone can get it to at least 4Ghz! AMD does not beat the pentium in the games you just mentioned. (ie this and this or this) The only cpu below the i3's that make any scene is the pentium AE...

it is a luck of the draw, always...and especialy with the pentium... many of these dual cores are poor bin and poor quality chips, there is a reason why they ended up being pentium's and not core i3-4370's you know...

Also, an overclocked athlon or FX CPU will play most modern games in a smoother way with better minimum's and much less micro-stuttering.

Not having a go at you, I just don't get where you are coming from with regards to it all. Personally at the moment I can not recommend anyone go the AMD route, unless their budget is extremely tight; as the current platform is just too old at this point. Anyone who currently has an AMD setup should wait it out for as long as possible, and only to see what AMD bring to the table within the next year. If they fail to impress with their next CPU, then even I will be going the intel route with my next build. I have been using AMD since 2001/2 with the Athlon XP, and will fully admit their current lineup isn't as strong as it should be.

An fx 8350 with a decent overclock can hold it's own against most i5s in most games.  And you can always switch motherboards later on if you want to switch to intel.

No :P

tzwDv8s.jpg

rIKeh5b.png

AMD quad cores are more stable in gaming than the dual core Pentium, which has random dips in FPS over time.

AMD quad cores are equal to Intel dual cores in terms of multithreaded performance.

Uhm... No.

You cant play whatever you want.

CoD:AW locks out dual cores.

BF4, Watch Dogs, Unity, Crysis 3, and many others all tank in FPS on dual cores.

That's a lie. 

bf4_1920n.png

wd_1920n.png

c3_r1920n.png

Besides don't treat AMD's quad cores as a quad core, since games are heavily dependent on FPU's so lets compare them shall we?

rZx2ycz.png

Right lets forget Sandy Bridge & nehalem; what we see on Bulldozer are 4 128bit FPU's with 2 ALU's per scheduler which you guys call cores so we have 4 ALU's/4x 128bit FPU's per module.

jp4tLXl.png

Forget Sandy Bridge again. This is one core btw, we see 4 ALU's & 6x 256bit FPU's per core. Makes a total of 8 ALU's which is the same as the 4300 but the main difference being in this case Intel has more FPU's while all of them being 256bit. 4300's and up should be all avoided for gaming, considering most games are still on 2 threads that would make the 4300 the worst price/performance CPU.

I'll show you what you need to pay to overclock a G3258;

Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.49 @ Newegg) 
Total: $108.48
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-20 11:09 EST-0500

This H81 board allows overclocking for G3258 only, stock cooler is plenty for something like 4.5GHz.

CPU: AMD FX-4300 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($86.47 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $176.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-20 11:11 EST-0500

Thats 70$ more, considering most games only using 1-2 threads which means you're only utilizing half the 4300's performance your price/performance is pretty much halving. 

Planetside 2

FireFall

Dragon's Prophet

SWTOR

Runescape

Blacklight: Retrobution

Tribes:Ascend

Hawken

Warface.

In 9 of those games 5 of them are NOT playable on AMD. I won't consider 30 fps playable in a FPS game.

I have an fx-4130 and I can play mmos just fine... 

I can also play heavily modded minecraft just fine while also having a billion tabs open.

At 10 fps. I'm sitting around 25-30 fps in raids etc and you think a 4130 that's nearly 10 years old in terms of IPC can keep up with Intels price/gaming performance? A 4130 performs worse than a Q9650 which dates from january 2007 and is at least a real quad core. AMD has kept themselves alive with high clock speeds last years with nasty brainwashing marketing. AMD these days is living on ignorant people who think it's all about the cores/frequency or idiots who only want to believe Teksyndicate.