How bad is an overclocked pentium G3258 at playing games

I'll just be happy for now to get an i3 going so I no longer have to put up with the intermittent frame hitching/stuttering caused by my Phenom II x4 chip. Seems that the Pentium is even worse though but it will sell because people see the high max and avg frame rates it puts out on paper and the low 70 bucks price point which all means shit when the min and frame rates over time are terrible.

it's the perfect chip if you want to play planetside 2 and guild wars...but other than that...for AAA online titles and advanced tech games...not the one to choose defenetly.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

it's the perfect chip if you want to play planetside 2 and guild wars...but other than that...for AAA online titles and advanced tech games...not the one to choose defenetly.

In the TH review of the Pentium it shit the bed in every game tested as far as frame rate over time. Even the AMD Athlon offered smoother gameplay.

so some posts of mine were deleted.

*slow claps for maturity* 

have no idea why... two people had a bit of a scuffle and it was over. :P

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Why in gods name would you go from an 8350 to an x4, thats a complete downgrade.

I was just kidding... Forgot to type in jk haha. But the Athlon X4 isn't bad for budget builders.

I was just kidding... Forgot to type in jk haha. But the Athlon X4 isn't bad for budget builders.

Actually I have researched very nice ans smooth frame rate over time numbers with the Athlon chips from AMD. Something to consider when buying a low end chip.

I'm not convinced that disabling HT and disabling 2 cores on a 4770K will get you the same results as a G3258. It could cause issues you're not aware of. 

I know when i tried to run a game on two cores with my 4670K i got insane stuttering aswell. When i know the game should run fine.

Actually I have researched very nice ans smooth frame rate over time numbers with the Athlon chips from AMD. Something to consider when buying a low end chip.

Whats the average frame rates for all games? I'll probably pick one up for my teacher as a Senior gift for being my teacher for 3 years lmfao

Whats the average frame rates for all games? I'll probably pick one up for my teacher as a Senior gift for being my teacher for 3 years lmfao

The framerates are much more smooth and quality with the Athlon. Average and Max framerates mean very little when the frame rate over time is not at all smooth.

In the TH review of the Pentium it shit the bed in every game tested as far as frame rate over time. Even the AMD Athlon offered smoother gameplay.

no it can handle a bunch of lower end games and some higher ned ones on low settings

The framerates are much more smooth and quality with the Athlon. Average and Max framerates mean very little when the frame rate over time is not at all smooth.

well most people do not plan to stick with integrated and the pentium will give you better cu and future graphics

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

well most people do not plan to stick with integrated and the pentium will give you better cu and future graphics

No the fram rate over time is tewrrible on the Pentium. makes allot of sense as why wopuld people pick an i3 when they could get a Pentium that offers similar max framerates ? I will tell you the Pentium is very choppy at delivering frames and the i3 is silky smooth.

No the fram rate over time is tewrrible on the Pentium. makes allot of sense as why wopuld people pick an i3 when they could get a Pentium that offers similar max framerates ? I will tell you the Pentium is very choppy at delivering frames and the i3 is silky smooth.

why dont we ask someone who actually uses it  @tmcclelland455

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

i did  it is probably another bottleneck in his system like a background virus scan running or since it is a dual core he should keep background processes in check

i did  it is probably another bottleneck in his system like a background virus scan running or since it is a dual core he should keep background processes in check

TH also reports terrible frame rate over time for the Pentium across multiple games.

I'm not convinced that disabling HT and disabling 2 cores on a 4770K will get you the same results as a G3258. It could cause issues you're not aware of. 

I know when i tried to run a game on two cores with my 4670K i got insane stuttering aswell. When i know the game should run fine.

no i've benchmarked the thing a lot and the results are in direct line with what they should be...if anything the i7 provide a full 8MB of cache to the CPU (useless on a dual core)

so if anything the i7 dual core should be in fact better than the pentium but as mentionned from the benchmarking results i was getting the same performance as a pentium at 4.5ghz.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

This was recorded using ShadowPlay (ShadowPlay does the recoring using only the GPU ressources) at 1080p using a 4.5ghz pentium dual core haswell CPU paired with a GTX 780.

Enjoy the low gpu load, low framerates and insane stuttering...this should be linked at least 10 times a day on here.

<Video Went Here>

Seeing how the games run on high settings like that, i would suggest a GTX 660 or R9 270 as the maximum GPU to pair with this CPU...and this is assuming you are able to push the CPU to 4.5ghz (not all of them can even do that)

It's a good budget CPU to play MMO's and RTS and other older tech games, but for modern stuff it's pretty bad.

Shadowplay not having an effect on CPU usage is misleading. Anything that increases disk or network usage by that much will have an appreciable impact on CPU usage. Also I have been running an G3258 @ 4.5 for a few weeks now with one of my r9 290s (comparable to the 780) and my frames while not capturing are significantly better than shown in that video in the games I have. specificity bf 3 or 4 When I play on those there is never any stutter that would make the game unplayable by any standards. Now I wont champion for the cpu for high end gaming is because if your running a few extra services or browser tabs in the background you will see frame-rates and lag like shown in the video but saying it does a bad job if your just gaming is a lie.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Why am I not surprised I/O is talking out his ass again?

It seems I'm one of the only people here who has one and actually knows how to fuck around with the god damn thing.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Why am I not surprised I/O is talking out his ass again?

It seems I'm one of the only people here who has one and actually knows how to fuck around with the god damn thing.

lol

Buy my BF4, and I'll turn my 4690k into a G3258 :P

-->larger sample size (and I want bf4 :unsure:) 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

lol

Buy my BF4, and I'll turn my 4690k into a G3258 :P

-->larger sample size (and I want bf4 :unsure:) 

wat

You're confusing me now. :huh:

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

You're confusing me now. :huh:

Why don't you stop talking out your ass like usual?

I read your post as though you were saying very few people here seem to actually know how the g3258 performs (in BF4). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I read your post as though you were saying very few people here seem to actually know how the g3258 performs (in BF4). 

Oh. Few people here in general seem to know how the fucking thing performs. Period.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Spoiler

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Now do this test with a similarly priced AMD chip. I would like to see the results.

I have another stupid Q,If theis gaming rigs wont play AAA online titles why would ppl spend 0ver the price of a console? who builds a PC for gamming and says, will I guess i will just play old or crappy games? I love battle field 4 if I build a brand new Pc it better play what ever I want to play an it ain't gonna be Tetris,,,,lol

I guess just please tell me the pentum G3258 can beat a console and I will be happy,,,,,,;[

I have another stupid Q,If theis gaming rigs wont play AAA online titles why would ppl spend 0ver the price of a console? who builds a PC for gamming and says, will I guess i will just play old or crappy games? I love battle field 4 if I build a brand new Pc it better play what ever I want to play an it ain't gonna be Tetris,,,,lol

You have to consider a couple things: 

1) You can get console performance for around $400~ (excluding windows -- and using linux -- free) 

2) On a console you have to pay $60 a year for online (free on PC) 

3) PC games are MUCH cheaper than they are on console (especially if you're willing to wait a bit). Brand new games -- Far cry 4 for example can already be had for around $40. 

I guess just please tell me the pentum G3258 can beat a console and I will be happy,,,,,,

A g3258 with a dedicated gpu (thats at least an R7 250~) will beat a console. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler