How bad is an overclocked pentium G3258 at playing games

what are you talking about the Pentium is way better than the athlon

overall, imho it's not...it depends what games you play the most, but for modern game an amd quad core is better most of the time...it will allow for higher settings and smooter gameplay overall without stuttering.

no need to link old tech single threaded games to prove your point cause theres nothing like first hand experience ;)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

This was recorded using ShadowPlay (ShadowPlay does the recoring using only the GPU ressources) at 1080p using a 4.5ghz pentium dual core haswell CPU paired with a GTX 780.

Enjoy the low gpu load, low framerates and insane stuttering...this should be linked at least 10 times a day on here.

Seeing how the games run on high settings like that, i would suggest a GTX 660 or R9 270 as the maximum GPU to pair with this CPU...and this is assuming you are able to push the CPU to 4.5ghz (not all of them can even do that)

It's a good budget CPU to play MMO's and RTS and other older tech games, but for modern stuff it's pretty bad.

What a POS even my Phenom II x4 is better LOL.

What a POS even my Phenom II x4 is better LOL.

indeed...i tested a couple games at first for my personal experience and then i went oooohhh shit i have to show this...the cpu is pinned and the games are unplayable and stuttering all over the place...

excuse me? i dont think any of those games are old and Bf4 is what you linked dont be a hypocrite. you also need to be aware atleat with amds FX series cpus they count logical cpus as cores. A 8350 does not have 8 physical cores.

dont worry i owned an fx i think you have no idea who youre talking to...

and yes bf4 is the only relevant game theyve tested(being the only ''slightly'' cpu intensive game in the bunch) and a quick look at the results clearly show theyve tested it in single player in a gpu bound scenario (unlike me...)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

excuse me? i dont think any of those games are old and Bf4 is what you linked dont be a hypocrite. you also need to be aware atleat with amds FX series cpus they count logical cpus as cores. A 8350 does not have 8 physical cores.

They are more of an actual core than Intel HT Gimmick.

where is your proof that i am wrong and an athlon is better? not only does the g3258 outperform an athlon in gaming it also out performs it in most rendering applications

Screw Athlon ... Phenom II and FX are where it's at with AMD now in days.

Ok this is kinda scary,I am putting this CPU on my new Gig-Z97X-UD5H ,,,,,to save money but plan on running it with a GTX 970 will it be ok till I get my I7?

depends on how long you plan to keep it ? since its about 70$ it might be better to just get a i5-4690k? 

Needs Update

lol the fx series is from what 2011? its still on 32nm technology?

its still plays games better (albeit not the old tech single threaded mmos and rts maybe) from my own experience with them.

a core i3 is better than fx, but certainly not the pentium...i used to play bf4 on ultra settings with my fx and the gpu was getting fed all it can handle...not 55% and constent stuttering, i'm sorry.

then how can an i5 outperform an 8350?

Not in all cases. Intel sells it's compiler to more benchmark companies than does AMD. It;s the Intel compiler you see. That said as a gamer I am buying an Intel i5 4960k at the end of the month because of the Intel compiler I really have no other choice. I will do a personal experience thread when I get my i5 4960K at the end of the month and compare it to the fastest AMD CPU I have owned which is currently the Phenom II x4 955 OCed. Real word testing only not some cinebench shit that does not matter as synthetics are bullshit ... I will show how the CPU really performs doing actual things that most normal everyday people/gamers actually do with their computers like Gaming, Photo editing, watching YT with a million tabs open etc.

snip!

the core i5 is vastly superior to anything amd has to offer atm in regards to gaming, hands down...but not when you chop 2 cores off of it!

that being said you have to run a gpu capable of taking advantage of a better cpu OR you have to test at lower resolutions...

yes please prove to me that a 8350 will outperform an i5 in gaming.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-4-graphics-card-performance,3634-10.html

the core i5 is vastly superior to anything amd has to offer atm in regards to gaming, hands down...but not when you chop 2 cores off of it!

Not in games that can leverage the power of the FX 8350/70/9590. In games that were written to take advantage of the ... "Intel Compiler" AMD generally gets the short end of the stick.

1. why the hell do you own 50 different cpus?

2. of course the pentium wont outperform your 8320 it costs over twice as much.

3. where is your proof that an i3 is better than a overclocked pentium.

4. my friend has a non overclocked pentium and it doesnt bottleneck his gpu with any of his games

1-why not?

2-indeed, but most people won't think that way and that's why such thread and videos are created: to educate.

3-again, personnal first hand experience

4-good for him, he must run a low end gpu OR he never bottered monitoring gpu loads while gaming...or he play very light-threaded games or non cpu intensive titles.

thank you for proving my point

What that the 8350 a CPU that costs less than 1/3 of the costs of 3930k was only 4fps behind it ?

Not in games that can leverage the power of the FX 8350/70/9590. In games that were written to take advantage of the ... "Intel Compiler" AMD generally gets the short end of the stick.

ahhh no, even watchdogs which is an highly multithreaded games that uses all the cpu cores the core i5 still performs a lot better...because the fx's cores are too slow and theres always a main cpu thread that will slow down the rendering.

1. its a waste of money

2. i win

3. i showed you graphs from a reputable source you havent i could care less about your experience if i cant see it.

4. actually he has a r9 270 which is the price point the cpu is meant to be paired with. not a 500 dollar gpu that is not a balanced build and yes we have monitored gpu/cpu usage while gaming with MSI afterburner.

ok, i'm done with you...dont want to be rude but the video is there, think what you want, i'm telling you this pentium is one of the worst cpu in regards to gaming that i've come across...so think what you want!

the video does not compare an i3 or athlon to the pentium. you dont have anything to back up your claims that i stated with proof. i will think what everyone else thinks because you're one of the only people that feels like the g3258 is a bad cpu for the money. the test you did doesnt really mean anything i dont think most people buy the pentium to pair up with 500 dollar gpus. but anyway next time you want to prove me wrong make sure you have something besides opinions to back your claim up.

ok ill make a quick video playing those games on i3...just for you!

also: im not saying the g3258 is a bad cpu for the price...all i'm saying is that it wont belong in any serious gaming rig, there are much bettter options out there that offers better performance at around the same pricepoint...

also make sure no antivirus programs are running in the background or any other applications that could potentially screw up the results. also make sure you do the results on the same server size, map etc. ok test the athlon also since its the same price as the pentium and the i3 is 50 dollars more.

i no longer own the AMD CPU, cant do this...but im testing the i3 now, just so you know i'm launching BF4 and browsing this at the same time and it's not as painful to do as with the pentium.

And i do have exactly the same programs running that i was this morning don,t worry it,s fair...

ahhh no, even watchdogs which is an highly multithreaded games that uses all the cpu cores the core i5 still performs a lot better...because the fx's cores are too slow and theres always a main cpu thread that will slow down the rendering.

In regards to Watch Dogs PC optimizations or more accurately the lack thereof.

AMDs Robert Hallock says “I am uncertain if we will be able to achieve additional gains due to the unfortunate practices of the Gameworks program,”

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2014/05/26/why-watch-dogs-is-bad-news-for-amd-users-and-potentially-the-entire-pc-gaming-ecosystem/

A fundamentally unequal playing field

"Nvidia’s GameWorks program is conceptually similar to what Intel pulled on AMD 8-10 years back. In that situation, Intel’s compilers refused to optimize code for AMD processors, even though AMD had paid Intel for the right to implement SSE, SSE2, and SSE3. The compiler would search for a CPU string rather than just the ability to execute the vectorized code, and if it detected AuthenticAMD instead of GenuineIntel, it refused to use the most advantageous optimizations."

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/173511-nvidias-gameworks-program-usurps-power-from-developers-end-users-and-amd/2

"GameWorks, however, doesn’t just offer Nvidia customers an advantage — it curtails developer freedom and sharply limits AMD’s ability to optimize as well. Even if Nvidia never deliberately sabotages GameWorks code to run poorly on AMD or Intel GPUs, the inability to optimize these functions is itself a genuine competitive disadvantage.

In the long run, no one benefits from this kind of bifurcated market — especially not end users."

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/173511-nvidias-gameworks-program-usurps-power-from-developers-end-users-and-amd/2

ok, i'm done with you...dont want to be rude but the video is there, think what you want, i'm telling you this pentium is one of the worst cpu in regards to gaming that i've come across...so think what you want!

I like real reviews not some Intel/nvidia sponsored corporate shill nonsense propaganda. Thanx for the upload it is very informative in regards to actual truth.

snip!

ok bad example, i should have picked anything that is not ubisoft as you seem to not like their games...crysis3, BF4, sniper elite 3 and dead rising 3 are all multi-threaded games that run's better on an i5 than an FX overclocked (to 4.6ghz mind you..) again not bashing on amd they are good for the price and where they shine is multi-threaded workloads like video transcoding and video editing for example...

EDIT: BTW the core i3 3.4ghz playing BF4 full server on paracel storm video is uploading...there's only a couple dips in the GPU load but it's consistent at 98% most of the time and the gameplay is smooth with no hiccups...nothing like with the pentium. I mean the GPU is obviously not getting fed all it can handle but it's world better...the correct GPU to pair with this CPU would be the GTX 770 or R9 280X.

I'll see how I do in BF3 with my G3258. I'll say fuck it all, push the volts to 1.3, and push this bitch. I'll see how it does with my 7950 and 480.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I'll see how I do in BF3 with my G3258. I'll say fuck it all, push the volts to 1.3, and push this bitch. I'll see how it does with my 7950 and 480.

i had the thing running at 4.5ghz...which i consider a strong overclock that many new comers and inexperienced builders that are being recommended this chip for gaming won't even be able to reach.

ok bad example, i should have picked anything that is not ubisoft as you seem to not like their games...crysis3, BF4, sniper elite 3 and dead rising 3 are all multi-threaded games that run's better on an i5 than an FX overclocked (to 4.6ghz mind you..) again not bashing on amd they are good for the price and where they shine is multi-threaded workloads like video transcoding and video editing for example...

EDIT: BTW the core i3 3.4ghz playing BF4 full server on paracel storm video is uploading...there's only a couple dips in the GPU load but it's consistent at 98% most of the time and the gameplay is smooth with no hiccups...nothing like with the pentium. I mean the GPU is obviously not getting fed all it can handle but it's world better...the correct GPU to pair with this CPU would be the GTX 770 or R9 280X.

In BF4 the game is well optimized and all high end CPUs run the game very well and exactly the same.

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

That;s not running Mantle.

also make sure no antivirus programs are running in the background or any other applications that could potentially screw up the results. also make sure you do the results on the same server size, map etc. ok test the athlon also since its the same price as the pentium and the i3 is 50 dollars more.

Here's your video, the settings are exactly the same, server is full just like it was in the pentium video and to top it off i actually had to fight many players while recording...which i didnt even had the chance to do with the pentium and i bet it would have slowed it down even more:

This is core i3 at 3.4ghz (2 logical cores and 2 physical cores)

In BF4 the game is well optimized and all high end CPU run the game very well and exactly the same.

http://www.techspot.com/review/734-battlefield-4-benchmarks/page6.html

this is true for single-player mode...if you trow in multi-player maps and full server you'll see many cpu slowing down the paste.

This type of results are called GPU bound scenarios where the GPU is rendering all it can regardless of the cpu being used.

this is true for single-player mode...if you trow in multi-player maps and full server you'll see many cpu slowing down the paste.

This type of results are called GPU bound scenarios where the GPU is rendering all it can regardless of the cpu being used.

And then Mantle comes into play. i am not being a fanboy to AMD as I think that Phenom II which is what i am currently running is old, stale and really a POS when it comes to gaming and mostly everything now in days. Trying to play GTA III again and because my Phenom II x4 I get frame drops from 60fps to 54fps then back to full 60fps intermittently because Phenom II is a POS. Most other games have the same issue as well.

And then Mantle comes into play.

mantle does help indeed i had the chance to use it with my HD7950 and FX-8320 and it was helping the game but the problem i had with it at the time is that it was filling up my 3gb of VRAM and then the game was starting to stutter due to lack of more VRAM so i had to not use it...

mantle does help indeed i had the chance to use it with my HD7950 and FX-8320 and it was helping the game but the problem i had with it at the time is that it was filling up my 3gb of VRAM and then the game was starting to stutter due to lack of more VRAM so i had to not use it...

Speaking of Mantle, does BF3 have support for it, or was it just BF4?

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)