How bad is an overclocked pentium G3258 at playing games

I would not recommend trying to game on this proc. ... to much stuttering and low framerate spikes.

It depends on the game, and I'd take a G3258 with an upgrade to a 4690k/4790k over an i3. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Biased Boss and Game Debate have to be among the worse information on the internets that i have come across in resent times.

God those sites are terribad

God those sites are terribad

I was just reading this piece of trash for laughs LOL.

HD 7790 gives it a 10/10 because it "works perfectly" LOL indicating that it might not and is not a requirement. If it did not work perfectly and BSOD and went up in smoke he would have gave it an 8/10 because ... when it worked it "worked perfectly" LOL.

"The most of all that it is till able to Handle Next generations games pretty Nicely! i'll give this Card 10/10 Because it works Perfectly!"

GD http://www.game-debate.com/articles/index.php?a_id=2517&graphics=Radeon%20HD%207790%20Sapphire%20OC%20Edition

Another Qustion,I am somwhat new to this ,,,,,,, Is thier a magor loss in proformance to just buying a new tv and hooking up a mager gaming rig and hooking hdmi to a 1080p tv 

Another Qustion,I am somwhat new to this ,,,,,,, Is thier a magor loss in proformance to just buying a new tv and hooking up a mager gaming rig and hooking hdmi to a 1080p tv 

screen resolution won't affect cpu performance if that is your question, rendering games at higher resolution only require more GPU processing.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

screen resolution won't affect cpu performance if that is your question, rendering games at higher resolution only require more GPU processing.

Increased resolution put's more onus on the GPU than it does on the CPU.

It doesn't put anything on the CPU.

Still has to do stuff like when playing an online game 64 players online BF3 etc.

Still has to do stuff like when playing an online game 64 players online BF3 etc.

Resolution doesn't come into play until near the end of the frame-generating process (rendering, calculating a 2D image from 3D positioning information, one of the very last stages before being sent to the display), and it's all GPU at that point, nothing the CPU does changes with resolution. I've tested this in a clearly CPU-bound scenario, and changing from 1920x1200 to 3840x2160 affected the framerate consistently less than 1fps, usually less than 0.5fps, well within margin of error, in every configuration I tested including both an i5 and an older Phenom II.

It's a dual core... still better then a Fx 6300 and much better for people playing a mix mathc of differernt games If you're buying the latest and greatest titles you can probably afford something better.

My Cryengine 3 and Unreal engine 4 development has no problems on my pentium.

A high overclock for me caused unplayable microstuttering I turned it down to 4.2ghz and it went away.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It's a dual core... still better then a Fx 6300 and much better for people playing a mix mathc of differernt games If you're buying the latest and greatest titles you can probably afford something better.

My Cryengine 3 and Unreal engine 4 development has no problems on my pentium.

A high overclock for me caused unplayable microstuttering I turned it down to 4.2ghz and it went away.

Pentium sucks. It can't play Crysis 3 for shit. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crysis-3-performance-benchmark-gaming,3451-8.html

Thats 3.0ghz vs 4.2ghz that can be done on quite a few G3258s.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Resolution doesn't come into play until near the end of the frame-generating process (rendering, calculating a 2D image from 3D positioning information, one of the very last stages before being sent to the display), and it's all GPU at that point, nothing the CPU does changes with resolution. I've tested this in a clearly CPU-bound scenario, and changing from 1920x1200 to 3840x2160 affected the framerate consistently less than 1fps, usually less than 0.5fps, well within margin of error, in every configuration I tested including both an i5 and an older Phenom II.

I am not denying your logic. I am saying that some games no matter what resolution even 8K still rely on the CPU for calculations like MMOs are very CPU bound and will still be limited by the CPU even when playing at 4K during a large raid etc ... many players and objects on screen at once.

Thats 3.0ghz vs 4.2ghz that can be done on quite a few G3258s.

The core architecture is just to weak. An OC will only do so much to compensate for this fact.

The core architecture is just to weak. An OC will only do so much to compensate for this fact.

This architecture scales pretty well from 800mhz to 4.8ghz. It'll make a big enough difference. Even more with directx 12

Computing enthusiast. 

I am not denying your logic. I am saying that some games no matter what resolution even 8K still rely on the CPU for calculations like MMOs are very CPU bound and will still be limited by the CPU even when playing at 4K during a large raid etc ... many players and objects on screen at once.

Right.  I'm saying resolution itself won't put any additional load on the CPU, so if you increase the resolution it can only lower the framerate if you are GPU-bound (due to the increased GPU load), and not if you are CPU-bound (due to the not-increased CPU load).

EDIT: I guess there would be an exception if you are talking about changing the resolution to a different aspect ratio, which would change the number of objects on the screen in a given scene, or in games which do not use HOR+ scaling, in which case increasing the resolution would simply increase your field of view, also changing the number of objects on the screen.

Core architecture is too weak???  Its a Haswell core.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

This architecture scales pretty well from 800mhz to 4.8ghz. It'll make a big enough difference. Even more with directx 12

Nobody can get 4.8Ghz on that CPU LOL and 800Mhz come on buddy. Lets just reserve this CPU for what it is which is a placeholder for people that are in a pinch.

Core architecture is too weak??? Its a Haswell core.

Have fun with your Pentium ... meanwhile I/O is going to reap the rewards of a full fat 4690K chip thanx very much ;-)

Right. I'm saying resolution itself won't put any additional load on the CPU, so if you increase the resolution it can only lower the framerate if you are GPU-bound (due to the increased GPU load), and not if you are CPU-bound (due to the not-increased CPU load).

EDIT: I guess there would be an exception if you are talking about changing the resolution to a different aspect ratio, which would change the number of objects on the screen in a given scene, or in games which do not use HOR+ scaling, in which case increasing the resolution would simply increase your field of view, also changing the number of objects on the screen.

You still need a potent CPU no matter what if you want to play games like WoW, RIFT, Guild Wars2 and some poor offline single player console ports.

You still need a potent CPU no matter what if you want to play games like WoW, RIFT, Guild Wars2 and some poor offline single player console ports.

Agreed, I'm just saying the resolution wouldn't affect the CPU load, whether it's a heavy load or not.

Nobody can get 4.8Ghz on that CPU LOL and 800Mhz come on buddy. Lets just reserve this CPU for what it is which is a placeholder for people that are in a pinch.

Have fun with your Pentium ... meanwhile I/O is going to reap the rewards of a full fat 4690K chip thanx very much ;-)

Yes people can get 4.8ghz. 

Hes not saying its better or even competitive with a 4690k, but to say that the cores are too weak is beyond ignorant.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Agreed, I'm just saying the resolution wouldn't affect the CPU load, whether it's a heavy load or not.

I know that Ultra resolution mitigates the use of the CPU to nothing and it does but there are still Online games and a ton of really poor console ports that somehow command an extremely high power CPU for whatever reason. I could have worded my original OP a bit better though. WoW running @ 4K even when there is theoretically ample GPU muscle would still stutter in a Raid on any AMD CPU most likely cause of the Intel Compiler but hey that's another topic that people can't handle so best left alone LOL.

Yes people can get 4.8ghz.

Funny cause it makes games unplayable @ 4.5Ghz and someone here just posted a video up the other day confirming this as fact.

no it does not, trust me i've done my testing on ShadowPlay and it DOES NOT IMPACT CPU PERFORMANCE...at all...the games run just as bad before i hit the record key.

nothing else...it just gets recommended way to much and in reality it's a bad buy.

an Athlon 760K is better at running these games for about the same price...and so is a core i3, the i3-4150 can be found at 109$ ATM.

true, ipc isn't everything. Nowadays it is really important to have more than 2 cores.

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

an Athlon 760K is better at running these games for about the same price...

No.

I have been doing some investigating on the Pentium G3258 and it would seem that though the frame rates are decent the frametimes a just horrible ... to much stuttering. Even an Athlon ofers smoother gameplay. http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-4.html

Do you know what 95th percentile means?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Do you know what 95th percentile means?

It's terrible in the 75th as well. Athlon is better.

It's terrible in the 75th as well. Athlon is better.

The top 5% are the real serious problems you notice the most...

By your logic, Pentium G3258 is a lot better than Athlon in BF4, an 8core-supported game.

--------

And, obviously, Pentium shits on amd at WoW:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/pentium-g3258-overclocking-performance,3849-10.html

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...