How bad is an overclocked pentium G3258 at playing games

The top 5% are the real serious problems you notice the most...

By your logic, Pentium G3258 is a lot better than Athlon in BF4, an 8core-supported game.

As indicated and proven in the OP the Pentium has massive stuttering in BF4. Frame Times and Frame Rate is all good in BF4 for the Athlon chip. I still don't like the 95th percentile for the Athlon chip either though.

WoW is a heavily optimized for the "Intel Compiler" game and nvidia GPUs.

As indicated and proven in the OP the Pentium has massive stuttering in BF4. Frame Times and Frame Rate is all good in BF4 for the Athlon chip. I still don't like the 95th percentile for the Athlon chip either though.

Therefore that makes Athlon even worse by your logic...

Also, the video didn't include mantle(obviously).  Not to mention shadowplay does not mean 0 load on cpu...

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Therefore that makes Athlon even worse by your logic...

Also, the video didn't include mantle(obviously).  Not to mention shadowplay does not mean 0 load on cpu...

Who the hell is talking Shadowplay ? I will never use that POS LOL.

How is Shadowplay a POS..... 

Oh right, I remember, It's because it's an Nvidia feature. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

How is Shadowplay a POS..... 

For me I will never use it so for me it's a POS. For someone else it might be good.

I have a i3220 with a 770

No lag or stutter when streaming/recording when playing BF4

Just throwing it out there.

i3 is better than Pentium.

If you never use Shadowplay then the video in OP is irrelevant to you.

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

If you never use Shadowplay then the video in OP is irrelevant to you.

Cause showing how hardware performs to an enthusiast is irrelevant ?

People say otherwise though.

I think that's because i3 is locked and Pentium Anniversary is not.

Cause showing how hardware performs to an enthusiast is irrelevant ?

No,  because showing performance while recording(!) with shadowplay is irrelevant if you never use shadowplay to record.

No,  because showing performance while recording(!) with shadowplay is irrelevant if you never use shadowplay to record.

Oh ok so Shadow play OCs the CPU and extra Ghz is what you are saying so it makes the chip perform better ?

Oh ok so Shadow play OCs the CPU and extra Ghz is what you are saying so it makes the chip perform better ?

NOT RECORDING gives you better performance...

shadwowplay requires power to run....

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

It's a good budget CPU to play MMO's and RTS and other older tech games, but for modern stuff it's pretty bad.

Well at first you were getting some not-so-bad 45 FPS before the first drop to 10... Since I will be playing BF4 I probably won't get this.

(Also BF4 in French... Love it.)

kompooterz.

Well at first you were getting some not-so-bad 45 FPS before the first drop to 10... Since I will be playing BF4 I probably won't get this.

(Also BF4 in French... Love it.)

hehe merci!

For BF4 a core i3 at 3.4ghz is indeed a lot better, here's a quick section i did with it (2 physical cores, 2 logical cores haswell at 3.4ghz)

As you can see there's still at slight bottleneck at 1080p and i'm using full ultra and 110% scalling...so the GTX780 is a little too much horsepower for a core i3,

but still it won't stutter i still get high framerates and it's enjoyable. Much better than an overclocked pentium, that's for sure.

i would defenetly see a GTX 770 or R9 280X paired with such CPU...or maybe even a 780 or a 290 many games are not as intensive as bf4 and some require more GPu processing

and quite often those cards can be found for almost as cheap...

a quick Heads-up though, if you have the funds to push it a little further a core i5-4460 with a cheap H97 board is a much better choice and is worth the price difference in regards to gaming.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

op im here for you 

after this thread can you stop recommending the pentium for an over 200 euros gpu? 

plus the cooler and the expensive mobo really add up to the price compared to an stock i3 or an amd athlon 

op im here for you 

after this thread can you stop recommending the pentium for an over 200 euros gpu? 

plus the cooler and the expensive mobo really add up to the price compared to an stock i3 or an amd athlon 

i'm all against recommanding anything higher than GTX 660 or R9 270 to go with a pentium CPU like that if you read my first post you'll realise that...i also mentionned that more often than not people buy these pentium along with an aftermarket CPU heatsink and a more expensive motherboard instead of just a basic H series motherboard and a core i3 or a locked i5 which is a lot better at playing games than an overclocked pentium CPU and i stand behind that.

Listen to the video the pentium CPU is weak in modern games and even though it is cheap it will limit the performance of mid-range and high-end GPU's. You can use it as a place holder for a future i5 or i7 but it's still 80$ this cpu that you could save instead and buy a descent CPU from the get go.

This video had been made because lately on this forum i've seen A LOT of build coming up with high-end GPU (GTX 970, R9 290, GTX 780..etc.) and this is not a good CPU to pair with such a GPU cause the pentium just can not run modern games at the settings that those GPU are capable of running them...and too many folks out there won't realise that.

Look at all the pauses and stuttering in the video, this is not ''youtube glitch'' or encoding problem...it really happens all the time while playing such video games making it a very painful and not enjoyable experience...it's anything but smooth.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Yet people say the 8350 gets smoked drastically by the g3258

In mmo's, it does 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Yet people say the 8350 gets smoked drastically by the g3258

In mmo's, it does 

indeed...in a few older tech single threaded games (mostly mmo's and RTS games) and some indie games the pentium can have an edge, but in the vast majority of titles something like an FX-6300 or FX-8320 will offer a much smooter gameplay...

BUT once you factor in the cost of the whole platform on the AMD side you get within range of the core i3's or locked core i5 cpu's which smokes them in any games...

EDIT: I must mention this though: i had an FX-8320 and it was playing SOME games better than a core i3, multi-threaded games such as BF4 for example where running a little bit better...but the i3 is good too. But when it comes to a ''big gaming picture'' the fact that many games rely on strong per core performance i feel a core i3 is a better pick overall...but the FX will render video faster and multi-task better.

indeed...in a few older tech single threaded games (mostly mmo's and RTS games) and some indie games the pentium can have an edge, but in the vast majority of titles something like an FX-6300 or FX-8320 will offer a much smooter gameplay...

BUT once you factor in the cost of the whole platform on the AMD side you get within range of the core i3's or locked core i5 cpu's which smokes them in any games...

EDIT: I must mention this though: i had an FX-8320 and it was playing SOME games better than a core i3, multi-threaded games such as BF4 for example where running a little bit better...but the i3 is good too. But when it comes to a ''big gaming picture'' the fact that many games rely on strong per core performance i feel a core i3 is a better pick overall...but the FX will render video faster and multi-task better.

Maybe they need the cores, like some college students who are learning video editing arent gonna spend a lot. Ask yourself this. Would you rather have a 8 core amd for 160 or a 8 core intel for about 500+

Edit: i am not a fanboy, i have amd thats gonna turn into a hptc, and a intel (soon to be build once thanksgiving break starts

Maybe they need the cores, like some college students who are learning video editing arent gonna spend a lot. Ask yourself this. Would you rather have a 8 core amd for 160 or a 8 core intel for about 500+

Considering the 8 core intel is FAR FAR FAR more powerful.....(it's also $1000, not $500)

I'll take a Xeon 1231v3 over an Fx8350 for editing, and for editing a Xeon 1231v3 will still be cheaper (and better).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Considering the 8 core intel is FAR FAR FAR more powerful.....

I'll take a Xeon 1231v3 over an Fx8350 for editing, and for editing a Xeon 1231v3 will still be cheaper (and better).

Ofc its much more powerful, your paying fucking 500+ dollars. Though AMD is weak af at single thread. Which is pretty obvious. But yea i would of taken a xeon if i could back then, just because im spoiled with the latest fastest tech haha

Ofc its much more powerful, your paying fucking 500+ dollars. Thought AMD is weak af at single thread. Which is pretty obvious. But yea i would of taken a xeon if i could back then, just because im spoiled with the latest fastest tech haha

My point is it's a stupid comparison since the FX8350 isn't a true octa-core cpu, and is more competitive with an i5 (assuming all 8 cores can be utilized).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler