So, Tim Cook is Gay.

Majinferno

whilst i get all the "and so what" comments, its normaly me saying it, i see why this is news. cook is CEO of one of the most valiuble companies and one of the worlds most reconised brands and strikes a massive win for equality and the rights of LGBT people. this comment sums it up even if the rest of it was total horse shit.

I await the day when we react to someone coming out the same way we react to if they said they like cheese on toast, their cars red or their drinks cold.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

What Human Right are you referring to, specifically?

What defines Human Right?

http://www.un.org/en/documents/udhr/

Whereas recognition of the inherent dignity and of the equal and inalienable rights of all members of the human family is the foundation of freedom, justice and peace in the world,

Whereas disregard and contempt for human rights have resulted in barbarous acts which have outraged the conscience of mankind, and the advent of a world in which human beings shall enjoy freedom of speech and belief and freedom from fear and want has been proclaimed as the highest aspiration of the common people,

Whereas it is essential, if man is not to be compelled to have recourse, as a last resort, to rebellion against tyranny and oppression, that human rights should be protected by the rule of law,

Whereas it is essential to promote the development of friendly relations between nations,

Whereas the peoples of the United Nations have in the Charter reaffirmed their faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person and in the equal rights of men and women and have determined to promote social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom,

Whereas Member States have pledged themselves to achieve, in co-operation with the United Nations, the promotion of universal respect for and observance of human rights and fundamental freedoms,

Whereas a common understanding of these rights and freedoms is of the greatest importance for the full realization of this pledge,

Now, Therefore THE GENERAL ASSEMBLY proclaims THIS UNIVERSAL DECLARATION OF HUMAN RIGHTS as a common standard of achievement for all peoples and all nations, to the end that every individual and every organ of society, keeping this Declaration constantly in mind, shall strive by teaching and education to promote respect for these rights and freedoms and by progressive measures, national and international, to secure their universal and effective recognition and observance, both among the peoples of Member States themselves and among the peoples of territories under their jurisdiction.

Have a look through the 25 or so in there and educate.  I had them copied in here but it was a bit of a wall of text.  An AWESOME wall of text.

The first 3 should illustrate it pretty well though:

Article 1.

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.

Article 2.

Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind, such as race, colour, sex, language, religion, political or other opinion, national or social origin, property, birth or other status. Furthermore, no distinction shall be made on the basis of the political, jurisdictional or international status of the country or territory to which a person belongs, whether it be independent, trust, non-self-governing or under any other limitation of sovereignty.

Article 3.

Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person.
Edited by Guest

The fuck is wrong with you? .. So what .. O.o.. 

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I await the day when we react to someone coming out the same way we react to if they said they like cheese on toast, their cars red or their drinks cold.

To make it out like it's something special, unique, is just a waste of everyone's time and effort, there is more to people that should hold water than whom they choose to be intimate with, so I don't really understand why that specific point is always the one that gets the biggest cheers, the most attention.

A week after a gay pride parade, I'm going to start a new parade, simply called "We eat our cereal with forks", just because all of the unique, little special flowers in society need to know that none of us give a fuck unless you throw it in their faces and they'll care just to get you to shut up and put some clothes on for a fucking second.

Kinda agree. That's why I said don't think to much on it. I'm at school right now so I'm not able to follow up on everything that's going on here.

What Human Right are you referring to, specifically?

What defines Human Right?

The UN has defined the human rights.

It's called The Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

It doesn't mention anything about the right to whichever sexuality you want though. The closest thing it gets is that everyone should have the same freedoms and rights no matter sex, opinion, race etc. Being a homosexual by itself is not a human right in the same way as being a piano player is not a human right. Piano players and homosexuals should not be treated differently under the law is a human right though.

This does not belong in the news section -_-

Linustechtips is not magazine that report on every aspect of the personal live of those guys. Great for him that he announced it and he accept himself as he is, but I wouks have put this in general discussion or off topi.

Case : Corsiar Air 540 CPU : Intel i5 8600k GPU : Asus Nvidia 970 DirectCUII RAM : 16gb DDR4 MB : ASUS Prime z370-p PSU : OCZ Modxtreme 700w SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 250gb 

This does not belong in the news section -_-

Linustechtips is not magazine that report on every aspect of the personal live of those guys. Great for him that he announced it and he accept himself as he is, but I wouks have put this in general discussion or off topi.

This kind of does relate to technology. Let's wait and see how investors, stock holders, etc react to this announcement.

If mods feel it should be moved then feel free to, but I thought it relates, so I put it here. I'll check back in once I'm out of school.

Well, this seems like good news for the homosexuals on this forum.

What is that supposed to mean?

Also I don't think anyone is surprised by this.

huh?

wait i thought everyone knew this

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Because it's far more uncommon to be homosexual compared to being heterosexual?

I don't get why people think it's intolerant to acknowledge that he is gay. Equality isn't about pretending that everyone is the same, it's about acknowledging and accepting that people are different. I'd say it's far more intolerant to pretend like everyone is the same. I'd rather have people say "oh you're gay? Good for you for having the courage to make it public." than to say "who cares? I don't and it's sad that you think you're special because of it. You should shut up about it!" if I announced I was gay.

I'm not pretending everyone is the same. I'm well aware that there's a difference between acknowledging someone is gay and being intolerant to it. It's just that for me, it's such a trivial thing. I really don't care.

Maybe that's more related to my personnality. I generally don't look forward details about peoples personnal life. So that could be it. I despise paparrazzi and all that kind of things but there's defenitly a market for that so... Yeah, I guess the fact that people are interested in that kind news isn't linked with the level of acceptance. 

Congratulations to him!

If you're so mad about this being news just give gay people equal rights in everything and then feel free to say "who cares if he's gay".

And one more thing, I'm sure he's going to be someone other gay kids look up to, specially those into tech.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

i would laugh if they suddenly had a drop in sales in the bible belt,

Congratulations to him!

If you're so mad about this being news just give gay people equal rights in everything and then feel free to say "who cares if he's gay".

And one more thing, I'm sure he's going to be someone other gay kids look up to, specially those into tech.

It's not the news in general, it is that it isn't Tech News. It is great news but it doesn't have anything to do with Tech, like before with the posts about the Pope talking about science or the Google Employee who broke the world record for highest parachute jump. It does not have anything to do with tech; although, this is much closer to tech than any of the others. 

Why is this news.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

It's not the news in general, it is that it isn't Tech News. It is great news but it doesn't have anything to do with Tech, like before with the posts about the Pope talking about science or the Google Employee who broke the world record for highest parachute jump. It does not have anything to do with tech; although, this is much closer to tech than any of the others.

It's not news at all. Why do people care about sexual orientation? It's not news.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

It's not the news in general, it is that it isn't Tech News. It is great news but it doesn't have anything to do with Tech, like before with the posts about the Pope talking about science or the Google Employee who broke the world record for highest parachute jump. It does not have anything to do with tech; although, this is much closer to tech than any of the others. 

Coming out isn't tech news but I still feel it's relevant in the tech world for the fact that some people still make negative connotations towards homosexuality. This could realistically make some people stop wanting to buy Apple products or have other effects on the company and I think it's good to be aware of it and the potential impact it could have.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Congratulations to him!

"Pride" is supposed to come from within, if you have to look up to someone else in order to feel good about yourself, you need some soul searching.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

"Pride" is supposed to come from within, if you have to look up to someone else in order to feel good about yourself, you need some soul searching.

Pretty hard to achieve if you're being bullied over it rather than celebrated. Seeing others be accepted for what makes people around you hostile is a breath of fresh air to some and lets them know that it gets better.

Yea, my business teacher made the comment, "His announcement is like him announcing that he's the CEO of Apple. A lot of people know already."

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Welcome to homosexuality, Tim. The rain here is always rainbow coloured. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Pretty hard to achieve if you're being bullied over it rather than celebrated. Seeing others be accepted for what makes people around you hostile is a breath of fresh air to some and lets them know that it gets better.

It's a lot better to simply realize that those people are hostile because for whatever reason they feel threatened by you, and to be proud of that. It's better for pride to come from within than from someone else.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Apples next breakthrough innovation , Tim Cook 2.0    :D

Details separate people.

It's a lot better to simply realize that those people are hostile because for whatever reason they feel threatened by you, and to be proud of that. It's better for pride to come from within than from someone else.

It's obviously great to have it come from within, but that requires a certain degree of achievement and happiness already. I'm not talking about being picked on by one kid, there's places over the world where everyone is equally unsupportive and go out of their way to make you feel unwelcome and unwanted. In many cases it's kids and teenagers so they can't just move to another state and get a job there.

I don't see any harm in having a role model you can relate to.