Microsoft Windows 10 TP - Most Users on Desktops. Microsoft Data.

GoodBytes

In a tweet today, Microsoft shares an interesting state about Windows 10 TCP. Most users testing Windows 10 are desktop users, reports Dailytech.

In a tweet by Microsoft Windows Manager/Developer, Gabriel Aul, he shows the following graph:

B0vRvZDCQAA7QWq.png

Build 9860 is the latest build of Windows 10 TP that was recently release, replacing Build 9841.

It shows that the majority (41%) are using a desktop, 32% of them laptops, 22% running under a VM, 2% tablet and 1% All-in-One.

This information is collected from telemetry data that Microsoft collected part of the Windows Insider program of Windows 10 preview.

Source: http://www.dailytech.com/Microsofts+Figures+Show+Desktop+Users+Flocking+to+Windows+10+Preview/article36784.htm

Tweet: https://twitter.com/GabeAul/status/525744394402820096

How is AIO a lot different from a laptop from Windows' point of view? Lack of battery?

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

How is AIO a lot different from a laptop from Windows' point of view? Lack of battery?

And is a Surface Pro 3 a Tablet or a Laptop.

hmm.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

And is a Surface Pro 3 a Tablet or a Laptop.

hmm.

Laptop replacement Tablet

Please become a member of the Linus Tech Tips forum, keep writing smug remarks & let us love you. Peace out.

<| Project M13 & Silverstream. Other DIY projects |>

well... is anyone really surprised by this?

i mean, i just threw it on an old gaming rig that wasn't being used anymore...

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

Computer enthusiasts that have extra drives in their system are the ones trying this? 

Waaaaaa?

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

It has most desktop users, and here they ruined it by trying to make it more tablet friendly...

Just make a similar, but different OS (like Windows phone)....

Microsoft, just stick to making desktop OS'es, you aren't really good at anything else!

The numbers are understandable.

Installing another OS isn't that easy/possible with most tablets.

Running it on my lenov g580

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I was expecting the VM installs to be much higher. Although, I suppose most of the desktop/laptop installs are probably not the user's primary computer and just put it on an old/secondary machine to see how it runs on native hardware.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Of course, that's the only PC that can do some ACTUAL virtualization.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Not to mention that at least 70%-80% of the ones that used a VM were using the VM on a desktop.

Source: I tried W10 in a VM on my desktop (and I guess other nerds do the same thing) for about 5-10 mins. W10 is actually alright and has a decent amount of awesome features that I like.

Not to mention that at least 70%-80% of the ones that used a VM were using the VM on a desktop.

Source: I tried W10 in a VM on my desktop (and I guess other nerds do the same thing) for about 5-10 mins. W10 is actually alright and has a decent amount of awesome features that I like.

Well, it identifies VM separately on the graph.

I think it is just logical

1. Windows users traditionally are desktop/laptop users.

2. Looking at the OS so far, I don't even want to install it on my Surface. They are trying to fix stuff on desktop experience, not on the tablet experience. I don't see any advantage, new features I want to try on tablet environment, Continuum isn't ready. But I bet people are very curious on what does it fix on the desktop experience.

3. Most people who use tablet, do not want to install something that has no guarantee of stability on their device. What if I hit a bug/irrecoverable crash when I really need to use it (e.g show something in a meeting). You might argue, ppl do custom ROM on Android all the time but then again, who are the primary users of Windows tablet? I would say enterprise users who either rely on guarantee of stability, or installing the OS on his own is prohibited.

From there, I would actually surprised if the number of tablet users are higher.

Gadgets: Lenovo Y580 (Nostromo, Naga Epic, Hydra, TrackIr5), Surface Pro 3 (i3), Lumia 930, PSVita

Rig: i7-4770K, 8GB Kingston HyperX, Asus Strix GTX970, MSI Z87-GD65, Asus Xonar DGX, CMStorm Scout II, CM Seidon 240M, BlackWidow Ultimate, Naga Epic, Goliathus Extended Control, TrackIr5, Sennheiser HD205, Audio-Technica ATR2500, Edifier speaker, Logitech G940, Logitech G27, Logitech F710, Dell S2340L, Philips 200VL, Samsung 830 128GB SSD, DXRacer FA01N

Well, it identifies VM separately on the graph.

Which is why I said what I said. The fact that the vast majority of them are desktop users and that VMs are separate on the graph means that there are more desktop users that this graph indicates.

Which is why I said what I said. The fact that the vast majority of them are desktop users and that VMs are separate on the graph means that there are more desktop users that this graph indicates.

Oh. I miss understood you. sorry.

I don't know what they expected tbh.

The blood on to your heart start pumping faster when you notice me.

But is ok.

Judge me for my nickname, my avatar and for the low amounts of posts I have. I will keep your heart beat raised.

i know a few people who just install everything that says beta on their main system. retarded I know. But they do it. and complain about it months later.

when will they learn...

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

41% isn't a majority, it's a plurality.

Semantics aside, I'm surprised it isn't higher.

"Other"

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.