Is Dram necessary in an nvme m.2 for an OS storage device?

Go to solution Solved by Electronics Wizardy,

Its definitely not necessary. I manage/work with many systems with dramless drives and run Windows 11 without issue. 

Also there is much more to a drive than dram. look at reviews of the specific drives to get a much better feel for performance that if it has dram or not.

Im between a kingstone nvme m.2 and a samsung 980 pro. Both 1TB vastly different prices and they will be used as main storage to have the OS. Is dram necessary/that much better to have? or can i just get a dramless one and be just fine?

Its definitely not necessary. I manage/work with many systems with dramless drives and run Windows 11 without issue. 

Also there is much more to a drive than dram. look at reviews of the specific drives to get a much better feel for performance that if it has dram or not.

Now we kinda have 3 classes:

1. With DRAM
  2. Without DRAM, with HMB
  3. Without DRAM, no HMB

Feels like the move from 3 to 2 has helped although I'm not sure exactly which drives support which. Certainly with SATA, which didn't support it, you can easily feel the difference between 1 and 3 in more complex disk intensive uses e.g. Windows Updates, game patches.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Alienware AW3225QF (32" 240 Hz OLED)
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, iiyama ProLite XU2793QSU-B6 (27" 1440p 100 Hz)
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

As long as the drive can use dram as a cache (and you have some ram free) having a dram less drive is quite fine.

Back in early days of nvme when they coulsnt do dram caching and definitly sata because it cant do it you WILL notice the lack of a dram cache.

However most dramless drives will do caching you should verify it tho.

Also post what drive you are getting. One yo avoid thay is very popular now is the kigston nv2 since its very low quality and quickly gets slow as well as have a short lifespan of terrabytes to be written that you can quite easily achive in a couple years.

15 minutes ago, jaslion said:

As long as the drive can use dram as a cache (and you have some ram free) having a dram less drive is quite fine.

Back in early days of nvme when they coulsnt do dram caching and definitly sata because it cant do it you WILL notice the lack of a dram cache.

However most dramless drives will do caching you should verify it tho.

Also post what drive you are getting. One yo avoid thay is very popular now is the kigston nv2 since its very low quality and quickly gets slow as well as have a short lifespan of terrabytes to be written that you can quite easily achive in a couple years.

As i mentioned im between the samsung 980 pro and if the kingston nv2 is out then my budget option is the crucial P3 gen4. (the 1tb version of each respectively)

https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Plus-PCIe-NAND-5000MB/dp/B0B25NXWC7

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-980-PCIe-NVME-MZ-V8P1T0BW/dp/B08PBFP4NV/ref=sr_1_6?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.NmWV6IRAg-XJnU-_tHcMTvi7eltQyOghYr5XVKJTzTWFk2FS8D1EnfLIynCkgVj5Z8UvronpoFXES8CuBZqONTS6B7YemlWItEMcxzuUoCECUhT4tGHqkrbs3xjpT5eZPToU8sUTSgKYobKHiZTicFgFdNCKfFMTOFQs4IeAI3YEMJIV1RLiACauwyYGoj97ihA4U0wTZFjbf0YLBPF20KyBgtyeSy9BWKtwi8imtsw.fLG9tnmwwNGTNycDS15LLsverPM2-1JC-y9tMz-3a_g&dib_tag=se&keywords=samsung+980+pro+1tb&qid=1716630001&sr=8-6

here are the links to both as well from amazon. (not my vendor so different prices but the same product)