Is Steam Harmful?

Steam uses a client/server model not p2p and is only hurtful to your bank account, Origin on the other hand is filthy spyware.

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

If that guy doesn't know what steam is... you shouldn't trust him with your computer... Steam on the contraire is a wonderful program. It doesn't use p2p (altought in itselft it isn't harmful) and provides great prices on great games. Long live steam ! (Die every other company game platform ! *cough* Origin *cough* Uplay *cough* Games for windows live)

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

Steam is most definitely not harmful to your computer, and peer2peer is not either if used properly. When you said steam was p2p, he must've assumed it was a client such as utorrent that you were using to illegally obtain copyrighted material.

†††††

Tumblr // Collection // Wantlist // Last.fm †††††

I doubt his "knowledge" since he does not know what steam is. Steam does use P2P for some online enabled games (well its active from the game).  You can read about in recent update notes.  Over the millions of users steam has, I'm highly certain steam is not harmful. 

System: i5-2500k, Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3, Mushkin Enhanced Blackline, R9 290X, CoolerMaster Elite 430, OCZ Vector, Corsair RM650, Dell U2412M, Corsair H60, Sidewinder X6, M6880, Asus Xonar DG      
Steam username: Armorhype          Origin username: Armorhype          Xbox Live Gamertag: Armorhype                   

The only thing harmful about Steam is the terrible customer service. Otherwise, nothing is really that bad with steam.

the tech guy was probably some old fart who is still running window 95.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

Steam is a magical thing... like Xfire and GeForce Experience they are amazing... the only thing that is bad is Origin -.-

Character artist in the Games industry.

Steam definitely is not P2P. All games are hosted on servers for download. 

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K | Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | Motherboard: GA-H61N-USB3 | RAM: Corsair 8GB 1333 MHz Video CardEVGA GTX 660 Superclocked 2GB DDR5

Power Supply: Corsair CX 430 | SSD: Samsung 840 120GB | HDD: 2X Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200rpm | Monitor Asus PB238Q & Asus PB278Q

Mouse: Lenovo N50 | Keyboard: Apple Pro Keyboard | Operating Systems: Hackintosh OS X 10.8.5 & Windows 8.1

Steam in no way is harmful but they do say on some patch notes that you may have problems with some anti virus companies.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Steam is fine. You should have explained what it was or asked him to elaborate on why he thought it's harmful. He's probably decently knowledgeable from a purely technical perspective but probably out of touch with modern trends... Maybe he thought it was a torrent client.

Personally I get annoyed by software that doesn't shut down when you tell it to, or leaves background processes which keep checking for updates or doing other shit. Steam stars and exits completely when you tell it to which I appreciate.

Don't listen to these people. Steam raped my dog and killed my wife. Steam is bad RUN AWAY AAAAHHHHHHH

Just noticed this similar post.. I see you have been there brother :P

"Save the cheerleader, save the world- Hiro Nakamura

The hero LinusTechTips forum deserves, but not the one it needs.

Steam is the vapor from boiling water. Yes it hurts duh.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

Tell him it's iTunes for games next time

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Just noticed this similar post.. I see you have been there brother :P

I can't talk about it. It's too hard :'(

Tell him it's iTunes for games next time

Now that would be something to worry about  ;)

Cry Havoc!

Sounds like a noob to me. Whats Steam? Like seriously... anyone who is a techy should know. Steam is one of those things thats talked about so much. Its the game shop... THE.. game shop.

Steam is harmful...

TO YOUR WALLET.

Time to break out the whip for the annual summer sale!

Steam isn't harmful because I think that you download all your game data from their servers not from peers.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Steam will not hurt anything :)

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

[insert Gabe Newell joke here]

~meOw! Σ:3