Is Steam Harmful?

The other day I brought my computer into my online schools tech support and they were looking for the problem and what was causing it and they saw i had steam installed and he asked what it was and i told him and he said "Is it Peer to Peer?" and i unknowingly said ya, and he is giving me this big lecture about how it is harmful to your PC and all this crap, Besides that the guy seemed very knowledgeable I just want to know if he was right or not? i dont think he is because millions of people use steam and you dont hear about these problems.

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

Steam is not harmfull.

and steam doesnt use p2p

I7 2600k @ 4,5GHz - 16GB Kingston 1600Mhz RAM - Asus Sabertooth P67 - Samsung 830 128GB SSD - 2x Caviar Black 1TB - ADATA 80GB Boot SSD - Club3D 7870 XT - 42" Panasonic 3D Led TV - 22" Samsung SyncMaster

I don't think Steam uses peer-to-peer in other things than their VoIP services. I belive there game downloads are from a central server.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

if he doesn't know steam....how could he be "knowledgeable"

p2p in itself isn't harmfull

He was in like his 50's and he sounded like he knew his stuff. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

Well he doesn't know about this subject then.

Steam is in no way harmful, apart from emptying your wallet at sale times.  :rolleyes:

PC SYSTEM: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 / i5 2500k @ 4.2ghz / CM Hyper 212 EVO / Gigabyte 670 OC SLI / MSI P67A-GD53 B3 / Kingston HyperX Blue 8Gb / 

WD 2tb Storage Drive / BenQ GW2750HM - ASUS VE248H - Panasonic TX-P42ST60BCorsair AX750 / Logitech K360 / Razer Naga / Plantronics Gamecom 380 /

Asus Xonar DGX / Samsung 830 256gb / MEDIA eMachine ER1401 running OpenELEC XBMC with Seagate STBV3000200 3TB Hard Drive - Panasonic TX-P42ST60B

Tell him to nob off, tosspot :) Steam and games are awesome. If you want to insult him more check some original insults here http://kf-wiki.com/wiki/List_of_Squad_responses

:D

Steam does check if you have legit copy of game, thats all, it does not interfere with your system or anything.

Well he doesn't know about this subject then.

Steam is in no way harmful, apart from emptying your wallet at sale times.  :rolleyes:

Thats so true, only had Stream from the start of the year but must of spent over £100 in games, could be near the £200 mark  :angry:

Cry Havoc!

Sodumb. 

No. It's not.

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

How can he not know about Steam, the biggest online game shop and gaming platform?

Never the less, I seriously doubt Steam is harmful in any way. I have never had a problem, and if it was you would hear from the millions of users.  :)

@joelthezombie15 Hold the phone... You went to your schools "tech support" before asking any of us? I feel betrayed :(

:P

No, it was THERE problem not mine, i knew nothing about what was wrong.

No, it was THERE problem not mine, i knew nothing about what was wrong.

Ahhh I was just kidding, he probably hasn't heard of Steam because of his age, surprising though as my parents know what it is and they can barely operate a mobile phone.

Tech/IT teachers in my experience have tenancies to be a little paranoid, one of mine was convinced robots were going to take over the world, that was 10 years ago though, he's probably huddled up in a corner now :lol:

The only harm Steam does is to your wallet.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

The internet at my old school just would not work if you had Spotify installed on your computer because it was labelled as harmful software. School security systems are often quite retarded. 

P.s. There is nothing wrong with steam.

Case: Corsair C70 GunMetalBlack, CPU: Intel 3570k, Mobo: Asus p8z77-v lx, CPU Cooler: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 2, RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz lp, Video Card: Asus HD7950 DC2 Top V2, SSD: Samsung 840 pro, HDD: one Seagate 2TB Barracuda, PSU: BeQuiet! Dark Power pro 10 650w, Monitor: Dell UltraSharp u2412m, Keyboard: CoolerMaster QuickFire tk (Brown Switches), Mouse: Steelseries Sensei raw, Sennheiser HD 558

Don't worry about steam, Peer to peer (p2p) is used in torrents, they can be dangerous!

Don't listen to these people. Steam raped my dog and killed my wife. Steam is bad RUN AWAY AAAAHHHHHHH

Isnt it usually the other way around? 

joelthezombie15, on 06 Jun 2013 - 09:22 AM, said:

Isnt it usually the other way around?

THAT'S HOW MESSED UP IT IS :(

THAT'S HOW MESSED UP IT IS :(

Bestiality, there i said it

Peer to peer (p2p) is used in torrents, they can be dangerous!

Some game installers are using P2P downloading of game files. Steam obviously doesn't, although at some point, it could be introduced. Usually P2P downloading of game files is a bit slower than direct downloading, based on most people's experiences.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Some game installers are using P2P downloading of game files. Steam obviously doesn't, although at some point, it could be introduced. Usually P2P downloading of game files is a bit slower than direct downloading, based on most people's experiences.

blizzard uses p2p for game updates.