are the computers at your school/college/university/work any good?

asim1999

At my HS, we have HP towers with i5 (don't know the model, but pre-Sandy Bridge), 4GB of RAM, Win7, and in the Graphic Design classroom, they have Nvidia GT 630s in them.

My High School has a lab of 30 computers with titans in them......and my district is also broke lmao.....

the rest of school computers are decade old running xp, all from HP

I can't hate on my university, we get z200 workstations from dell with xeons, 8gb of ram and quadros :) not the best thing ever but they're pretty good for work (which is their main purpose after all ^^). In one lab we have i5 desktops (they also have quadros and 8gb of ram though) but they do the job all right too.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My school has some crapboxes running AMD APUs and there are carts of Hewlett Packard laptops. Some carts have HP Probooks running AMD A8-4500M APUs with 8GB of ram and 300GB HDDs which are far from decent, taking minutes from boot to the desktop with most others running AMD E1-1500s and 4GB of ram which are insanely slow. They also have a few rooms with new iMacs. I usually bring my macbook because the computers they give us are unbearable.

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

what.

the.

hell.

thats bloody rediculious.....

cant bring your own?!?!?!?!?!?!

you're better of using pen and paper. or changing school...

or do what i did. be homeschooled. ^~^

At my old school the situation was similar but they gave us refurbed Dell N5010s with 3GB of ram, Core i3 (220M iirc), 200gb HDDs for $800/school year for 3 years. The microsoft office they installed on my PC was also a pirated copy... lol

proud owner of alienware 13 with graphic amplifier and also a alienware X51 gaming PC!!! really powerfulL!!

xoxo samantha <3

At my old school the situation was similar but they gave us refurbed Dell N5010s with 3GB of ram, Core i3 (220M iirc), 200gb HDDs for $800/school year for 3 years. The office they installed on my PC was also a pirated copy... lol

i........ i...

i cant.

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

define "good"  I work in a primary school and have done some IT consulting for secondary.  The best systems range from no computers at all in a classroom to $10,000 workstations for intense modeling/simulation work.

Given that in early education giving two classrooms computers costs the same as employing a full time teacher, and all the research shows the best academic outcomes from early education stem from more teacher contact hours, then for primary it could be argued that minimal IT is best for development, however the reverse is true by the time you get to secondary school,  and it's only in senior secondary and tertiary that specific computers systems are required.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

define "good"  I work in a primary school and have done some IT consulting for secondary.  The best systems range from no computers at all in a classroom to $10,000 workstations for intense modeling/simulation work.

Given that in early education giving two classrooms computers costs the same as employing a full time teacher, and all the research shows the best academic outcomes from early education stem from more teacher contact hours, then for primary it could be argued that minimal IT is best for development, however the reverse is true by the time you get to secondary school,  and it's only in senior secondary and tertiary that specific computers systems are required.

My dad has an $8000 workstation which after looking at the specs, I could build for $1500 

most of the comps at my hs are imacs, then theres me with my blade lmao. then again some classes like the commercial art / gfx studio rooms have some pretty beefy hardware, but then again theyre used much more heavily during the day for rendering and editing and whatnot.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

My dad has an $8000 workstation which after looking at the specs, I could build for $1500 

In most cases there is a reason why workstations cost significantly more.  Whilst you can use an i7 instead of a xeon, a domestic gpu instead of firepro or quadro and standard ram in stead of ECC etc, the result will not always be the same. Especially if you are running a simulation that takes three days and you can't afford the time for it to baulk right at the end because your GPU is thermally throttling.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

A couple of friends and i build the IT infrastructure at our scholl literally. I left school one year ako but two of us are still working on it in their spare time (students..... <_< )

thin clients with aftermarket ssds installed by us, powered by four terminal servers from dell (2x Dual 8core Xeon with 64 gb of RAM, 2x 6core Xeon with 32 gb RAM ... dont remember the actual cpus though)

network is build: thin clients -> gigabit ethernet -> HUUUGE switches -> fibre optic cables (quite expensive stuff there) -> servers

outlook servers of course (dont remember specs)

home page and intranet server (dont remember specs)

four mac pros for video editing projekts (had a hard fight with the principal getting them, but one of our best art techers wanted em reeeaally bad)

yea and of course some backup stuff and freenas servers and about 4 or 5 ups i think

oh and free and fast wifi in the whole building most of the time

everything works quite decent there but if there was/is ONE issue a month wee/them(two guys i mentioned) culdnt fix in seconds everyone was complaining like hell (usual IT guys at companies have the same problem tough)

to sum it up: its one of the best equipped non-private-schools when it comes to IT systems in lower saxony, because five nerds said: because we can

Main Rig:

-
CPU: i7-2600k @4.8 GHz - CPU cooler: bequiet! Dark Rock Pro Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD: Western Digital Green 1tb - PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750W - Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi r2 -

Obsidian 250D Build Log

Wisdom: You don't live longer if you're always in a hurry

the computers at my high school ran better than the ones at the college i went to (while i could pay). probably because we weren't allowed to do *anything* to them and the few of us who did more or less knew what we were doing. the ones at the college and super slow and almost always have a virus or some bullshit. it's super easy to guess the passwords and screw everything up. the computers themselves are pretty good. the issue is the people using the computers.

Programming/Computing Pc's at napier university have dual monitor systems with 16GB of ram so overall can't complain :)

My unis engineering department has I5 2500's. They're not that bad. I just wish that they would use SSDs.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

Computer at work is a Dell Vostro Laptop 4GB ram, 120gb SSD and an i3. (Helpdesk Support for Liberty Healthcare)

Specs aren't all that great but it's pretty quick with the SSD.

My school has a developer section where they have a bunch of line up of Alienwares. I don't know the specs exactly though, or care enough to actually go there and check.

My PC: i7 3770k @ 4.4 Ghz || Hyper 212 Evo || Intel Extreme Motherboard DZ77GA || EVGA Hybrid 980ti || Corsair Vengeance Blue 16GB || Samsung 840 Evo 120 GB || WD Black 1TB

Peripherals: Corsair K70 RGB || Sentey Pro Revolution Gaming Mouse || Beyerdynamic DT 990 Premium 250 Ohm Headphone || Benq XL2420Z Monitor

The pcs at my school have core 2 duos and two gigs of RAM (some have 4 gigs)

But i remember seeing a pc that had a single core celeron and 512mb of RAM.

I don't see how people are calling "i5/i3's with 4GB+ of RAM" bad work machines?  This is about as good as you will see in a business environment.  Not only that its not like you can really get any better.

Oh so its a i5-2600?  That's only like 2 generations "old", and there aren't hardly any programs that require anything more.

On the server and networking side, I will go as far to say most business have awful "bandaid" networks.  But its totally common.

At my place of business our Kiosk are usually ~1.5Ghz single core CPU's with 1GB of RAM, no local storage, using a custom version of Linux.  Hand held computers are using Windows CE with probably a 1Ghz ARM CPU with (guessing) half a gig of memory.  All our normal machines are for managers only and are IBM thinkpads.

Please spend as much time writing your question, as you want me to spend responding to it.  Take some time, and explain your issue, please!

Spoiler

If you need to learn how to install Windows, check here:  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/324871-guide-how-to-install-windows-the-right-way/

Event Viewer 101: https://youtu.be/GiF9N3fJbnE

My uni just upgraded all the physics department pc's to dual monitor set ups using mid range i5s internal graphics. This was after many students requested dual monitor set ups to increase productivity.

In general this change has been very well received, with most people preferring it to having with one display faster pcs.

dell optiplex 745, 256mb RAM, XP. While a school not far from mine has spent money on getting all students iPads. How they have done this I'll never know.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

how could they afford ipads when they have good-for-nothing desktops? doesnt make sense

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

my high school had ivy bridge i7s (yes i7s for basics of IT and stuff) with 8GB of ram.. good? yes... over-the-top? yes... but I was in 4th year, and it was pretty late into the school year that those computer labs opened up. before that it was either core2duo's with 3GBs of ram, so still good or we could end up in the labs with really old hardware, like old P4s that have been there since I was in 2nd or 3rd grade (9 years maybe, since it was still K10 back then)... so it varies, some labs are great, some are good, and others are bad/outdated.