are the computers at your school/college/university/work any good?

asim1999

it doesnt make sense how they invest money into some rooms/labs and neglect others. 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Ones at my Uni are so slow. I can't use them, they make me upset. They take forever just to turn on and boot to windows. I'm sure most people find it fine but my <10sec boot has spoiled me lol

CPU: i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Hero GPU: Asus GTX 660 SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120gb RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8gb Cooler: Corsair H60 PSU: Corsair TX750 Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium Keyboard: Corsair K60 Mouse: Corsair M65 Monitor: AOC IPS i2367fh Audio: Sennheiser Momentum Ivory, Samson SR850s and a pair of really old speakers Phone: HTC One (M7) Consoles: Xbox One and Xbox 360

can u use ur own rig at uni? that is what i plan to do in a couple of years when i go to uni

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

I think my computer suite has all i5 4590's, and pretty wide monitors (idk what aspect ratio), apart from that they're pentiums lol

Nooope... they're too bad..

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

The ones at my work were recently refreshed with new lenovo thinkstations with ssd's and sandybridge i5's and i7s... not bad hardware. All desktops had dual 23" monitors. Laptop users got the laptop and an extra 23" monitor.

In my CAD class we have computers with Xeon Chips Dual Core (not sure exact model) and 8 Gb of RAM. Also in every room we have Promethian Boards, even in our ceramics class.

My high school's digital art room has i7-920s and Radeon 6350s.

Corsair 5000D / Intel Core i7 12700k / Noctua NH-D15 / MSI Z690 Pro-Wifi DDR4 / RTX 3080 Ti Founder's Edition / 16GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz / EVGA SuperNova 650w / Samsung 850 Pro EVO 256GB / ADATA SX8200 Pro / MSI Mag 274QRF-QD / LG CX 55" / Logitech G-Pro Wireless

My school is starting to replace their old pentium laptops with newer ones with i3-4300U's, but their desktops are still 15 year old slim hp clients. we don't have any desktops newer than 2000...

I am conducting some polls regarding your opinion of large technology companies. I would appreciate your response. 

Microsoft Apple Valve Google Facebook Oculus HTC AMD Intel Nvidia

I'm using this data to judge this site's biases so people can post in a more objective way.

We use dell desktops with intel zeon, 16gb of RAM and an ok video card w/ 2 dispay ports so i connect the 1 24" monitor to my computer and the monitor next to me that 24" monitor so i have like a setup

Im in highschool, the computers in my school are all garbage except for the 20 or so that went to the CAD Design class...

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

20140206_134055.jpg

no, only good thing about them is they run on a linux platform, a modified version of opensuse, and are linked to a sever in the office that is put to shame by my desktop at home.

"Science and technology revolutionize our lives, but memory, tradition and myth frame our response."

Arthur M. Schlesinger

Currently using Dells with i5 3570s and 4GB ram. Decent enough for schoolwork....or playing LAN games of HALO: Combat Evolved during class that someone installed on the computers :) my hero

my school has i3 shit boxes everywhere, but just recently I discovered a room between the two main computer suites that has 3 high end video rendering pc's and 2 huge i-macs. Sorry, don't know thespecs

Pentiums.. Pentiums everywhere..and some I3s, and some i5s here and there. They all have 4gb of ram. Some of the I5 computers have some ancient GPU.

My office has 3570's and Quadro K4000's. Could be worse, could be better.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

Well my school is at my house so, I have a pretty nice pc.

[NEW System] (CPU) i7-4790k (mobo) ASUS maximins V (GPU) AMD R9 380x (CPU cooling) Corsair h100 (PSU) EVGA 800w (Monitor's) LG 32" ultrawide @ 75hz and a Asus 27" IPS logitech g602 mouse

[OLD System] (CPU) amd athlon x4 760k@ 4.4ghz/ (mobo) MSI FM2-A55M-E33/ (GPU) Gigabyte windforce 7870 / (CPU cooling) Corsair h100/ (PSU) Corsair CX 430w/ (monitor) dell 1980x1080@60hz 21"/ a logitech keyboard and mouse. Phone: Samsung S5  Galaxy s10e .

OLD Laptop: Dell Latitude E6410 with i5 520m and Nvidia NVS 310

Laptop's: Dell precision m2800 i7 4610m with amd firepro w4170m

other laptop Asus.

Laptop provided by the school. 

• i5-4330M
  • 8 GB ram
  • No graphics card (Integrated 4600 HD only)
  • 500 GB HDD
  • 1080p screen. (so much potential for gaming but no GPU!!!)

My school library have i5 3470, Radeon 7440?, 8gb of ram.

My school Engineering labs have Q8200?, 4gb ram, Intel graphics -_-

My uni has mostly unimpressive dell/hp slim towers, but rooms where we have classes that involve a lot of number crunching we have beastly Dell workstations with I believe 6 or 8 core xeons and 32gb ram, also we have this type of workstations available for use at any time in special "PC room"

My Secondary school used to have alot of those lenovo all in ones, which were pretty decent, core i5s, 8 gigs of ram etc. But then, the school got rid of most of them to "save power" and instead, give us these shitty netbooks, which are Dell inspirons with AMD E-450 and 4 gigs of ram. Before, in media classes, using Adobe master collection was pretty nice, now it is sooo goddam slow. it takes a billion years to render a 30s video on After effects.

Now i dont really use the school netbook for basic word processing, browsing and the use of adobe master collection at school when i have to. I use my desktop at home for everything else, and use dropbox to sync all my work.

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

Even my computing teacher things that the PCs at school suck. thats cos he hates windows and uses ubuntu at home, and thinks windows is "pointless"

The engineering school I study in has 3rd gen i5s and gt 620m. Its good enough for applications we use such as MATLAB and PSpice.

OT: One professor has an ROG notebook on his desk in the faculty room :)

Processor:Core i5 2500; GPU: Sapphire 6950 2GB; RAM:8GB G.SKILL RipjawZ 1600 Mhz; Case:NZXT Source 210.

well my university use a HP computer (the all in one thingy, i dont know what it is called) and it is good, it can run almost every software that we need for engineering. it is a shame though that the other pc is full of virus and other crap (i never understand, why did many people doesnt know how to scan the computer and their flasdisk... have to format alot of flashdisk after printing something)