LGA775 Core2Duo, Core2Quad OVERCLOCKING guide

harrynowl

Alright, I'll do some gravedigging on this topic cause I'm in a similar predicament, trying to OC a ghetto build.

INVENTORY:

• Gigabyte EP45T-UD3P Mobo 
  • Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2830mhz stock, 8.5 multiplier)
  • Some generic Hynix 8gb DDR3 1600 ram
  • GTX 760 MSI Twin Frozr 
  • HDD and SSD, not really relevant

I left my old LGA775 rig to my little bro and I want to upgrade it a bit and OC it to milk out some more life out of it until I get him a proper skylake build sometime next year. The rig had a different mobo (gigabyte ep35-ds3l) so really I'm changing the GPU, cooler and mobo with a better one, cause the q9550 is still pretty great.

I tried to get the best fully compatible parts without making a new rig (all second hand needless to say) cause after all the purpose of this scrap build is to last a year of gaming before being reverted back to stock and repurpoced as a home pc or something. None of the parts are currently assembled, so I'll add some pics when I put them together and start OCing.

TL;DR - I'm wondering if someone's used this mobo and could suggest some specific fsb:ram ratios this mobo likes for good clocks. I've heard this cpu easily gets to 3.4ghz at FSB 400 but I'd like to get it to 3.8 or maybe 4ghz. The cooler I'm using is a Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 165W so that shouldn't be a problem. My main concern here is that I could mess up the ratios, this being DDR3 and thus acting differently. I don't wanna fry the ram if I run it 1800mhz at say 450 FSB, so I'll appreciate any input  ^_^

Alright, I'll do some gravedigging on this topic cause I'm in a similar predicament, trying to OC a ghetto build.

INVENTORY:

• Gigabyte EP45T-UD3P Mobo 
  • Core 2 Quad Q9550 (2830mhz stock, 8.5 multiplier)
  • Some generic Hynix 8gb DDR3 1600 ram
  • GTX 760 MSI Twin Frozr 
  • HDD and SSD, not really relevant

I left my old LGA775 rig to my little bro and I want to upgrade it a bit and OC it to milk out some more life out of it until I get him a proper skylake build sometime next year. The rig had a different mobo (gigabyte ep35-ds3l) so really I'm changing the GPU, cooler and mobo with a better one, cause the q9550 is still pretty great.

I tried to get the best fully compatible parts without making a new rig (all second hand needless to say) cause after all the purpose of this scrap build is to last a year of gaming before being reverted back to stock and repurpoced as a home pc or something. None of the parts are currently assembled, so I'll add some pics when I put them together and start OCing.

TL;DR - I'm wondering if someone's used this mobo and could suggest some specific fsb:ram ratios this mobo likes for good clocks. I've heard this cpu easily gets to 3.4ghz at FSB 400 but I'd like to get it to 3.8 or maybe 4ghz. The cooler I'm using is a Thermaltake Frio Silent 14 165W so that shouldn't be a problem. My main concern here is that I could mess up the ratios, this being DDR3 and thus acting differently. I don't wanna fry the ram if I run it 1800mhz at say 450 FSB, so I'll appreciate any input  ^_^

Basically try keep the RAM as close to the manufacturer default as possible while raising the FSB, I'd say a good starting point on that chip would be around the 1.3V mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, update to the aforementioned rig. Everything is assembled, latest drivers, time to OC.

I did manage to get the system to a stable 3.2GHz at a relatively low voltage with a couple of hours of prime 95 and temps between 52 and 56C.

918exVS.jpg
goTMoB1.jpg
kYnIIas.jpg

(I think it also runs as low as 1.23125V)

This is where the issues come. I've read that 45nm Core 2 Quads don't tolerate load line calibration as much as 65nm chips, so higher buses may be very dangerous in case of a power spike. That's why I try to stay inder 1.3, 1.3something V. I'd like to run the chip at 3.4GHz with ram at 1:2 so it hits that 1600mhz sweet spot but I can't get the system to post. I tried various combinations of Vcore, Termination and MCH but I don't want to mess something up.

Here's some more advanced things I need to straighten out before I OC any further.

1. Reputable sources say that 45nm chips like increases in CPU Termination and MCH Core (northbridge) more so than to Vcore. I know upping those too much would result in scary stuff so I figured I'd resort to some more opinions. So, my thoughts for 3.4+ OC would be - Vcore: 1.25 -> 1.325 or that neighborhood; Termination: 1.2 -> 1.26~1.3; MCH core: 1.1 -> 1.2. Corrections?
  2. My ram timings are off as you may have seen. BIOS tells me its 11-10-10-28 but Cpuz tells me they're 9-9-9-24. Which one do I believe? The actual ram sticks came with no heatspreaders or labels so software readings are all I've got. There's also an advanced timings menu I've been told to leave alone, if anyone's advanced enough in those I'd appreciate help. 

Advice?

Well.......my Xeon is more stable with the voltage set to auto than 1.35V (and it uses 1.3V on auto)-though the RAM supposedly rated at 800MHz seems to struggle with the FSB set to 400MHz.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Alright, update to the aforementioned rig. Everything is assembled, latest drivers, time to OC.

I did manage to get the system to a stable 3.2GHz at a relatively low voltage with a couple of hours of prime 95 and temps between 52 and 56C.

918exVS.jpg

goTMoB1.jpg

kYnIIas.jpg

(I think it also runs as low as 1.23125V)

This is where the issues come. I've read that 45nm Core 2 Quads don't tolerate load line calibration as much as 65nm chips, so higher buses may be very dangerous in case of a power spike. That's why I try to stay inder 1.3, 1.3something V. I'd like to run the chip at 3.4GHz with ram at 1:2 so it hits that 1600mhz sweet spot but I can't get the system to post. I tried various combinations of Vcore, Termination and MCH but I don't want to mess something up.

Here's some more advanced things I need to straighten out before I OC any further.

1. Reputable sources say that 45nm chips like increases in CPU Termination and MCH Core (northbridge) more so than to Vcore. I know upping those too much would result in scary stuff so I figured I'd resort to some more opinions. So, my thoughts for 3.4+ OC would be - Vcore: 1.25 -> 1.325 or that neighborhood; Termination: 1.2 -> 1.26~1.3; MCH core: 1.1 -> 1.2. Corrections?
  2. My ram timings are off as you may have seen. BIOS tells me its 11-10-10-28 but Cpuz tells me they're 9-9-9-24. Which one do I believe? The actual ram sticks came with no heatspreaders or labels so software readings are all I've got. There's also an advanced timings menu I've been told to leave alone, if anyone's advanced enough in those I'd appreciate help. 

Advice?

Wait, they have problems with load line calibration? In that case it might be why I'm having issues.

PMSL

Yeah, I've read about people who lost their chips within months with really aggressive clocks. 45nm seems to be far more delicate than 65nm and power spikes from enabled LLC can kill them

Well.......my Xeon is more stable with the voltage set to auto than 1.35V (and it uses 1.3V on auto)-though the RAM supposedly rated at 800MHz seems to struggle with the FSB set to 400MHz.

Auto voltage is tricky because while it provides a wider margin for stability it overcompensates waay too much for voltage, raising temps and power bills

Still waiting for an actual reply to my question btw

You Should also add Q9400, it also has an OC potential. Im using it While OC'd @ 3.4Ghz with slightly raised Voltage on Asus p5k-v mobo.

Ryzen 5 3600 | MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Corsair Vengeance lpx 32gb 3600mhz | EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING | XPG Core Reactor 850w

• 2 weeks later...

My folding rig has an OEM HP motherboard. It is a WX4600. Can I perform any pad mods or bios flashes to get the CPU over its stock 3ghz?

Should be fine to BSEL.

Should be fine to BSEL.

Does this only work with the c2d and c2q? I have a crappy old pentium dual core at a measly 1.8ghz that the motherboard probably supports, and I would prefer testing with this one first. Also, will the motherboard automatically adjust voltage when I push my good core2duo above the stock 3ghz?

Does this only work with the c2d and c2q? I have a crappy old pentium dual core at a measly 1.8ghz that the motherboard probably supports, and I would prefer testing with this one first. Also, will the motherboard automatically adjust voltage when I push my good core2duo above the stock 3ghz?

It's based on the same design.

And maybe based on board design.

Motherboard can't increase voltage over VID, so it will NOT change, after BSEL mod is used.
Most Conroe based CPU are REALLY under clocked, so U don't have to worry about stability when moving from 800MHz FSB to 1066 or from 1066MHz FSB to 1333.

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

I gave my GF my old 775 rig. It's been doing nothing for so long. Her laptop has the I7 mobile chip, forget which one but the desktop could still be better with a better GPU in it.

I'm thinking of getting a beast of a chip to put in there now... like one of the old Extreme Quads for under $40. Stick in the 7850 I have and boom she can game.

It should be about 2x better than the 6750 CPU in there now and the old GTX 275. LOL. I do need a better PSU though, that thing is dying. Some old generic 550 watt PSU for $40

Hello, so, I got Q6600 and G33m-s2 for free. Anyone else tried to work on this combination? :) Overvolting on this MB is probably a nono, so what would you suggest to a novice OCer?

Main rig: Q6600 OCd, GTX660Ti, 4GB DDR2 Corsair Dominator RAM, 1TB WD BLUE, CX500, Bitfenix Prodigy M

Laptop: Lenovo Z50-75, AMD APU :(

Hello, so, I got Q6600 and G33m-s2 for free. Anyone else tried to work on this combination? :) Overvolting on this MB is probably a nono, so what would you suggest to a novice OCer?

Just follow the guide, and since that motherboard has a 6 phase VRM you should actually be able to overvolt fairly well (though don't go to hard with it since the VRM aren't cooled by heatsinks).

Edit: I've seen and owned motherboards that are worse BTW and they managed to overvolt well.

PMSL

Just type in 333MHz in FSB (or 1333MHz), and pick correct RAM Frequency.

After save and restart, U should see 3GHz on Q6600 :)

They Usually can do it without Vcore increase.

U got G0 revision or B3 (check in "CPU-z").

CPU : Core i7 6950X @ 4.26 GHz + Hydronaut + TRVX + 2x Delta 38mm PWM
MB : Gigabyte X99 SOC (BIOS F23c)
RAM : 4x Patriot Viper Steel 4000MHz CL16 @ 3042MHz CL12.12.12.24 CR2T @1.48V.
GPU : Titan Xp Collector's Edition (Empire)
M.2/HDD : Samsung SM961 256GB (NVMe/OS) + + 3x HGST Ultrastar 7K6000 6TB
DAC : Motu M4 + Audio Technica ATH-A900Z
PSU: Seasonic X-760 || CASE : Fractal Meshify 2 XL || OS : Win 10 Pro x64

Can i OC this read the Post but still confused

Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz: is CPU any good?

GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L: is this any good for OC

4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333: need better diffrent ram?

Hyper T4: will it need better cooler

New: PCPartPicker part list

Old:Intel® Core2 Quad CPU Q8400 @ 2.66GHz, GIGABYTE GA-EP43T-UD3L, 4 GB Elixir PC3 ddr3-1333,  ASUS RADEON R7 260X, Thermaltake M9, 1TB HDD, GreatWall GW550SEL 550 WATT, BENQ GW2255, Hyper T4, Samson SR950 Headphones, fiio ek10.

Just type in 333MHz in FSB (or 1333MHz), and pick correct RAM Frequency.

After save and restart, U should see 3GHz on Q6600 :)

They Usually can do it without Vcore increase.

U got G0 revision or B3 (check in "CPU-z").

G0 :)

Main rig: Q6600 OCd, GTX660Ti, 4GB DDR2 Corsair Dominator RAM, 1TB WD BLUE, CX500, Bitfenix Prodigy M

Laptop: Lenovo Z50-75, AMD APU :(

Anyone with a Q6600 at 3.6GHz, what are your CINEBENCH R15 scores like?

as general rule for 65nm quad cores you should get 10cb for every 100mhz :)

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Ah, nice!

Any general rule for single core numbers?

i suppose about 1/4 the multithraed score :P

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Asus P5GC-MX - How good would that motherboard be for smallish overclocks? And is the BIOS ok with CPUs that will not be recognised with it?

i dont think that motherboard would get very far at all, it only supports dual cores and even then it doesn't support the faster ones full.

Rig Specs:

Asus Zenith III Extreme