2014 Nobel Prize for Physics Awarded for the Invention Blue LED ..

Say Whaaaaaaaaaaaaat? :o

blue_led.jpg

The 2014 Nobel Prize for physics has been awarded to a trio of scientists in Japan and the US for the invention of blue light emitting diodes (LEDs). Professors Akasaki, Amano and Nakamura made the first blue LEDs in the early 1990s

912110_20deb8c1b8bc4e0f7cfe103b1c74b2dd-

Professors Isamu Akasaki: (85 years old)

prof-akasaki.jpg

professor at Nagoya University (Japan)

Hiroshi Amano  (54 years old)

960x540.jpg

professor at Nagoya University(Japan)

Shuji Nakamura (60 years old)

shuji-nakamura.jpg

College of Engineering at the University of California

"These uses are what would make Alfred Nobel very happy"

-  Olle Inganas

Why is this a thing? Why did the committee bring this up now? As you guys know , Nobel Prizes were established to recognize developments that delivered "the greatest benefit to mankind". Although red and green LEDs had been around for many years, blue LEDs were a long-standing challenge for scientists in both academia and industry.

Without Blue LED's our world would've been completely different as , the three colours could not be mixed to produce the white light we now see in LED-based computer and TV screens. something you take for granted as you're reading this in your color monitor right now..Working together and separately, Akasaki, Amano and Nakamura devised those bright blue beams from their semiconductors

Furthermore, the high-energy blue light could be used to excite phosphorus and directly produce white light for the basis of the next generation of light bulb.

This enabled a new generation of bright, energy-efficient white lamps, as well as Color LED screens.

Making the announcement, the Nobel jury emphasized the usefulness of the invention,

What's fascinating is that a lot of big companies really tried to do this and they failed, But these guys persisted and they tried and tried again & eventually they actually succeeded & is One of the the greatest benefit to mankind

Nobel prize committee

20131011153017!Nobel_Prize.png

Nobel laureates will receive the title a diploma & a gold medal and about $1.1 million in award money..

Those who are still wondering why this is such a "Big deal", for scale it to 30 years of persistent innovation for the invention of Blue LED diodes

With the advent of LED lamps, humanity now has longer lasting and more-efficient light sources. Using the same amount of energy    

As you can probably guess the guys who got nominated also was shocked to hear the surprising news, as they were not actually prepared for this prestigious Honor , the responded on the term "Unbelievable" , Humbly said..softly spoken..

With 20% of the world's electricity used for lighting, it's been calculated that optimal use of LED lighting could reduce this to 4%”...

- Dr Frances Saunders

So Next time when you line up you PC case with strips of blue LED's think of these three & how they changed your world for the bluey better :P

Original:

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29518521

Details separate people.

That's kind of sad.

1990s invention being recognised in 2014...

Now the 2014 inventions will be recognised in 2040?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

--snip--

I am not surpised

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

I personally hate the fact that white LEDs are blue based, they pass a phenominal amount of blue through the phosphor in most consumer LED backlit monitors.

man theyre never gonna accept my invention into the pool of choices smh, its never me BUT...i created the these guys, theyre all robots that were programmed by le me of course, and they were set to be totally ballin scientists and yeh youre welcome for producing 3 nobel prize winners. i accept thank you's in the form of pm's, if you were wondering.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

This would have been great..DECADES AGO, but now considering you can get a cheap case fan with blue leds like its candy, it really cheapens things by a lot in 2014.

waaaaaa

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

That's kind of sad.

So why are they just now getting a prize?

This would have been great..DECADES AGO, but now considering you can get a cheap case fan with blue leds like its candy, it really cheapens things by a lot in 2014.

You three clearly have no idea how science in general works. The reason why they are only now recognized is because usually the impact of such discoveries/inventions is not fully visible until decades later. There are exceptions of course but in general it's best to discover something awesome 20-30 years before you intend to retire, unless of course, your work involves immorality ;)

Glad to see this happen since I own a crap ton of things with blue LEDs. 

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520

OS Drive: Kingston Hyperx 240GB SSD

Raid Card: LSI MegaRaid  9261-8i 8-port

Hard Drives: x7 HGST 4TB Nas

LEDs in gaming PCs are cool again!

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

You three clearly have no idea how science in general works. The reason why they are only now recognized is because usually the impact of such discoveries/inventions is not fully visible until decades later. There are exceptions of course but in general it's best to discover something awesome 20-30 years before you intend to retire, unless of course, your work involves immorality ;)

Thanks for clarifying.

This was actually kind of very important - in order to create white LED light, you need red, green and blue. Eg. in Denmark they are changing all streetlights with white LED. This is immensely important for the environment.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

It feels as though no games ever leave the BETA stage anymore, until about 3 years after it officially releases. - Shd0w2 2014

So why are they just now getting a prize?

That's kind of sad.

i was planning to say something about the fact that it takes time for things like this to be recognized as usefull and prove it's use, but somebody was faster then me, with nearly the same answer.

thanks for saying that right before me :P

I personally hate the fact that white LEDs are blue based, they pass a phenominal amount of blue through the phosphor in most consumer LED backlit monitors.

actually all light is blue based since the RGB colours(Red Green Blue) are on the base of all colours when it comes to light(paint is something else) since they can be combined to white light and visa verca, but since white light is pretty hard to create it's always the best to start with the RGB colours.

additional science note:

when you are doing spectrometric experiments(light is used as measurement) i can confirm that red, blue and green are used to create colours of all possible wavelengths for the visible light, outside that(UV light and infrared) there are special light's required to reproduce the required spectrum.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Very important discovery.  Blue LED's were incredibly expensive and difficult to produce reliably :)

They could have received this prize years ago, but perhaps it is only now we can glance back and see just how significant and important this development has been in the world of electronics and computing.

Think back through pop culture throughout the years (if you're over 15) - plenty of red and green LEDs but very rarely did we see blue.

Well damn that's some next level innovation

That's kind of sad.

The way the Nobel prize works is it has to be thoroughly peer reviewed.... It usually takes a long time for you to be recognized most Nobel physic's prize's are awarded to people who found or made something quite a long time ago usually around 15 years.

PLEASE USE PCPARTPICKER.  My rig: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZBmWjX