What's Your Opinion on Smartwatches? *EPIC POLL*

Leave your thoughts Rants & suggestions below

PS: leave your suggestion or an additional question  that i can add to the poll... (via PM or quoting this post)  . . Also please leave a 'like' if you find this poll thread amusing.

Details separate people.

All the polls!

I own a Sony SW2 and love it. Good for work and such where I can't really get out my phone to check an email or text. Also extremely useful for changing music when walking or in the car. 

I like the improvement in Tech about smartwatch. But I cannot wear a watch. It's a disconfort for me. So no watch at all!

"Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength" Arnold

With the current crop of smartwatches, I think it's a bit pointless for people to really get them unless they like being early adopters, as I always try to avoid getting the first of some new tech, so all the bugs can be ironed out for the next model. Personally, I would rather have an analogue watch like I currently have, but with a possible AR overlay (sort of like google glass) that can display basic notifications whilst still giving me the look of an actual analogue watch, not a digital display.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

You could add in a 'If there's specific reasons why you don't want a smartwatch, what are they?' question, and put like battery, cost, blah blah blah.

CPU: Intel i5 4570 | Cooler: Cooler Master TPC 812 | Motherboard: ASUS H87M-PRO | RAM: G.Skill 16GB (4x4GB) @ 1600MHZ | Storage: OCZ ARC 100 480GB, WD Caviar Black 2TB, Caviar Blue 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 | ODD: ASUS BC-12D2HT BR Reader | PSU: Cooler Master V650 | Display: LG IPS234 | Keyboard: Logitech G710+ | Mouse: Logitech G602 | Audio: Logitech Z506 & Audio Technica M50X | My machine: https://nz.pcpartpicker.com/b/JoJ

Though I don't think they are needed, I still want one. Not pulling my phone out every time I get a text or email would be lovely. Plus, when I am snowboarding, using the watch the change songs can save me the worry of losing my phone, as I do tend to change songs when I am on the move. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

If they make more of the pebble style ones with decent battery life and no gimmicky touchscreen nonsense, they'll be better then standard watches. Until then, with the exception of the pebble, I don't really care, I'd rather accurate tactile control as opposed to small touch screens and microphones.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Honestly don't know, maybe give them another generation or two.

I think that the idea is useful, but the current battery life of them is just too low for it to be interesting to me. The only smart watch that remotely interests me is the pebble steel.

If you spend the same amount on a analogue watch as a smart watch, you can get yourself a very nice, classy watch.

So analogue for me all day long.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Might be pointless right now, might change in the future... Won't trade out my Seiko Diver's Watch for a smartwatch though... I love this watch...

Smart Watches are pretty useful for some tasks... but there really has to be a limit as to what features they implement on them. There is no reason for accessing you gallery on a watch that is synced/connected to your phone. If i had to choose though, definitely the moto360... 

The whole situation reminds me of some comedian raging about walkmans with a remote control.

Strictly speaking, the remote is an improvement for the walkman... but it is really that much effort to just take the damn thing out of your pocket?

Also, if you are unable to use the walkman in any situation, because of laws or just social pressure, that also means you shouldn't be using the smaller version.

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

The poll doesn't express my opinion... So I'll just state it. Currently, Smart Watches cost too much compared to what they actually do. Either their prices need to drop without losing many features, or they need to get much better features without higher cost. If there was an Android Wear watch in the $50-$100 range I'd probably buy it.

Poll doesn't state my opinion. Current smart watches are too flashy, have too much bling, and over use their usefulness. If it can't be great at doing its primary function, tell time, then it's useless. Furthermore, I don't want a life that involves plugging in my electronics at night. First the phone, then the laptop, then the watch, then my credit card,... This is why I chose the pebble. It does great at telling time as the screen is always showing it, it doesn't have any bling or flashy exterior or apps. It's simple, tells time and notifies me of a notification which out me having to pull my phone out. Plus I only have to charge it once a week and it charges in about 20-30 min.

I decided to wear my normal watch yesterday and while I didn't miss wearing my pebble I did often glance at my watch for the notification that was never going to arrive. Has pebble supplemented my phone, yes. Has it replaced it, no. I don't want a watch that replaces my phone.

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

I think its definitely up to the person for whether it's worth it. At the moment, they are definitely not ready for the masses. Apple's watch will sell, but I imagin nothing like the sales of the first iphone. It's not the magical jesus device of the market like the first iPhone was. When we see androind wear 2 or 3, and maybe a second or third Apple Watch, smartwatches might be ready for the masses.

I have a Moto 360. IMO, It's the best smartwatch on the market at this time, (unless you prefer the beastly battery life of the pebble) but It's definitely not a watch every person will want, mostly due to the lacking battery life of most smartwatches. Right now, they are for a select few, give them a year or two and everybody will want one. This is exactly the kind of stuff that was said about tablets and smartphones and now everyone has at least a smartphone.

A man of charm with strange quarks. 

So, let me get this straight... 

According to the poll results thus far; most people here think "meh, it's just a tech fad" yet most also would prefer said tech fad...  :huh:

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Their cool but i much prefer an analog watch. I only use a watch to tell time and i definately dont want another thing that i need to remember to charge.

The poll doesn't express my opinion... So I'll just state it. Currently, Smart Watches cost too much compared to what they actually do. Either their prices need to drop without losing many features, or they need to get much better features without higher cost. If there was an Android Wear watch in the $50-$100 range I'd probably buy it.

$250 is still budget when it comes to the watch world. Would you rather spend $250 on a watch that only tells time or $250 on one that connects to your phone too?

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I love smartwatches, but the current crop seem just a little too mediocre. I hate square watches, so that removes all pebbles, Galaxy Gear, the Apple watch and every Android wear watch but the Moto 360, which is the only one I'd ever even consider. The pebble has no touchscreen, and has that (IMO) horrible resolution E-Ink display, so that's a no-no. The Apple watch is a surprisingly me-too device, which is odd from Apple, plus I'd REALLY love to leave their ecosystem, which should be done by this January. I don't like how Nexus-y (as in, bland design) the G Watch is (though the G Watch R is DEFINITELY on my radar), and the Gear Live isn't premium enough to be worth $200. The ASUS ZenWatch is too feminine for me (you may disagree, but something about it screams "I'M FOR WOMEN!"), and while the G Watch is awesome looking, it might be too bulky for my 14-year-old wrist.

The Moto 360 is the pinnacle of smartwatches right now. It's round. 'Nuff said, but I will say more. It looks executive, it feels executive (they let you try it on a Best Buy) and would complement any metal or faux metal/leather phone well. It feels like what the Apple Watch should've been.

BUT. It's battery may just be too short. I don't mind charging it every night. In fact, I was thinking of just ditching my alarm clock altogether and replacing it by setting the 360 on the charger. (I know it doesn't have an alarm, but my body's internal clock is pretty good at waking me up when I need to, and my family's even better at that :P I mainly use my alarm clock now as a clock) I usually charge my phone at night anyway. But I've heard that sometimes it doesn't get through 12 hours. Which is absurd. I also think that that 205ppi screen is a touch low, especially since you hold a watch ~10" away from your face when you look at it. ("My watch doesn't have enough pixels!" Is that a first world problem?) And, oh gosh. Oh gosh. OH GOSH.

The TI-OMAP. My eyes almost disintegrated when I read that. After that, I almost had a heart attack. When that didn't happen, I had a sudden urge to jump out of a window. (OK, not really.) I understand the whole "watches don't need quad cores" thing, and I agree. BUT DON'T PUT A 4-YEAR-PROCESSOR IN IT! It visibly lags. Not horribly, and not always, but even in the demo you can tell.

For now, my Suûnto is staying on my wrist. Hopefully the Moto 360 2 (Moto One, if they follow Microsoft) will solve all these problems. In the meantime, I'm going to have to physically restrain myself from buying it, it looks so good.

Why, when I tell myself I'll just write a short post, it turns into an 504 word (I counted) essay?

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

$250 is still budget when it comes to the watch world. Would you rather spend $250 on a watch that only tells time or $250 on one that connects to your phone too?

What the heck kind of watch world is that? I recognize that any kind of reasonably fashionable watch basically just turns into jewelry, but I'm comparing smart watches against like $10 normal watches from Target that tell time just as well as any of the more expensive options but still aren't worth the cost to me. If I WERE buying a $250 watch then it would most likely be a Pebble Steel over something more traditional, but that doesn't change the fact that the world of "watches I might buy right now" doesn't include anything in a >$100 price range, smart or not.

What the heck kind of watch world is that? I recognize that any kind of reasonably fashionable watch basically just turns into jewelry, but I'm comparing smart watches against like $10 normal watches from Target that tell time just as well as any of the more expensive options but still aren't worth the cost to me. If I WERE buying a $250 watch then it would most likely be a Pebble Steel over something more traditional, but that doesn't change the fact that the world of "watches I might buy right now" doesn't include anything in a >$100 price range, smart or not.

That's the world of Suûnto, Rolex, Movado (on the women's side Movado makes men's watches?), Montblanc and Tag.

The reason why smartwatches are expensive to you is that you aren't one of the "serious" watch wearers, the ones who want to drop a few hundred dollars on a watch because they're tired of those $10 Timex sports watches. (I had one of those $10 watches from Target until my dad gave me his reasonably-expensive-but-not-obscenely-so Suûnto when he upgraded his about a month ago) To get a good regular watch of the Moto 360's design and build quality, you'd have to spend AT LEAST $250. If you're going to spend that much on a watch, why not buy one that connects to your phone?

Personally, I'm tired of wearing rubber sports watches. :P

I use a pebble. I think that it is great. I paid $150 for it. Which I think is great, because Casio G-Shock watches are about the same price.

And now the pebble is $99. I think thats a great deal.

It's all great.

Many great.

Or is it a grate?

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

I agree with @Techteen14 The 360 was not what it lived up to be, and personally, I don't think it looks that nice (black bezel-thing on the bottom totally ruins the look). LG G Watch R seems to be the next big smart watch everyone is looking forward to (myself included) I mean look at it.. it's so sexyLG-G-Watch-R.jpg

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May