AMD FX-8350 Faster Than i7-4930K For UHD

Opcode

Sauce

Earlier on in the week, we pitted our AMD and Intel systems against each other, in a battle at 2560x1440. The GPUs in question were NVIDIA's reference GeForce GTX 780s in SLI, and the new GTX 980s in SLI. For $300, the AMD represents super value, and what most would think, the loser out of the two setups.

Benchmarks

56_52_amd_fx_8350_powering_gtx_780_sli_v

56_53_amd_fx_8350_powering_gtx_780_sli_v

56_54_amd_fx_8350_powering_gtx_780_sli_v

56_55_amd_fx_8350_powering_gtx_780_sli_v

56_56_amd_fx_8350_powering_gtx_780_sli_v

56_57_amd_fx_8350_powering_gtx_780_sli_v

56_58_amd_fx_8350_powering_gtx_780_sli_v

I find this hard to believe.

Nowhere in the article does it mention the clock speeds of each CPU. (Although I skimmed, I still didn't find anything about that)

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm retarded. The 4930K is at Stock

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

How is this news? All you did was copy and paste benchmarks.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

How is this news?

Also, finding this kinda hard to believe.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

GTX 780's in SLI aren't passing 60 fps average in Bioshock Infinite at 1440p?

Am I missing something? That seems really off to me.

i call full bullshit

also it says the i7 is at stock but not say anything about the fx 8350, it could be 5ghz for all we know with a full loop

I like and use AMD products and even I find this hard to believe.

Gamma v2.2 | i7 6700k @ 4.6ghz| Dark Rock TF | ASRock Z170 OC Formula | G-SKILL TridentZ Royal 2x16Gb 3200mhz | MSI GTX 1070 Ti Titanium | Sandisk 120Gb SSD | WD Black 1Tb HDD | Corsair RMx 850w | Corsair Spec Alpha | MSI Optix G27C2/2x19" monitors/34" Insignia tv

Spoiler

Secondary rig status: Blendin Blandin | Xeon E5 2670 E3 ES | Noctua L12s | ASRock X99 OC Formula | 48Gb Ram Smoothie | EVGA 980ti Superclocked+ | ADATA SU800 | SFFTime P-Atx | 

GTX 780's in SLI aren't passing 60 fps average in Bioshock Infinite at 1440p?

Am I missing something? That seems really off to me.

this. I'm mostly confused about this. unless tweaktown somehow got proper threading support I doubt the rest, but the BI numbers bring this article to point of me thinking they made the whole thing up.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

I like and use AMD products and even I find this hard to believe.

Same, I liked to defend my dated 8320 from time to time, but this is a 4930K we're talking about. This is really hard to believe.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

i call full bullshit

also it says the i7 is at stock but not say anything about the fx 8350, it could be 5ghz for all we know with a full loop

Still wouldn't be faster.......

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

I smell me a fanboy.

Capture.png

You do realise the article you posted about was not EVEN the same purpose yes? Cause the article was not about how the 8350 is faster than the 4930k. The title you wrote is obvious click bait.

All you did was draw a conclusion from an article that was not even the same focus as the claim you made in the title.

i7 4770K @ 4.5GHZ, NH-D14, Kingston HyperX Black 8GB, Asus Z87-A, Fractal Design XL R2, MSI TF IV R9 280x, BTFNX 550G

You do realise the article you posted about was not EVEN the same purpose yes? Cause the article was not about how the 8350 is faster than the 4930k. The title you wrote is obvious click bait.

All you did was draw a conclusion from an article that was not even the same focus as the claim you made in the title.

It is in the right section, very relevant hardware still to date (especially GTX 980's), welcome to the forum.

Its a GPU bound scenario, of course the difference between the two is going to be minimal.  Set it to 1080p and run the tests again.

At Ultra 4k, you are almost entirely GPU bound.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

What I see here is simply a showcase that if you run your games at ultra your bottleneck is going to end up being the GPU not the CPU, whether your going to get results that always show the AMD on top will vary with mileage but as far as gaming goes your cpu is conspicuously overshadowed by GPU performance, I've run some of my own benchmarks and even at the lowest settings 640x480 in most of my games I am still bottle necked by the GPU, so yeah I'm not surprised with this result, I would expect Intel to more consistently edge out AMD but I'm not ostensibly surprised.

Edit: What does surprise me is that Intel is consistently lower, I have seen up to 10fps variation in my own testing so I could see each test bouncing back and forth a frame or two but to have Intel consistently lower is a red flag to me that would suggest the result were true but were cherry picked in AMDs favor.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

i call full bullshit

They're both at stock and even if it was at 5Ghz it does little difference in the bulldozer architecture.

Gonna have to call BS on this, seeing as UHD is NOT CPU bound, as the number of draw calls is exactly the same. The only differentiator between two resolutions (not graphics settings) is the amount of pixels being rendered, a GPU process. As every other benchmark I've ever seen supports this, I can only assume something else is going on

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

They're both at stock and even if it was at 5Ghz it does little difference in the bulldozer architecture.

i read the article it doesnt mention the clock of the fx at all

Check out TweakTown's same test @ 1440p

Here you see the Intel rightfully pulling ahead.  Also, they don't mention how high the 8350 is overclocked, because lets be real, it has to be overclocked to even get within striking distance of stock Intel.  The actual numbers seem a little suspicious too though. They are filled with abnormalities at both Ultra4k and 1440p.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

i call full bullshit

It could be at 6 or more with LN2

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd