AMD FX-8350 Faster Than i7-4930K For UHD

Opcode

The 8350 can still bottleneck a game, i've seen it in my benchmarks. MMORPGs don't have graphic so they remove the GPU bottleneck simply by not utilizing it fully and in this situation you do see the Intel shine much brighter than AMD but that isn't really bottlenecking the GPU but there are real world scenarios where intel can wipe the floor with AMD.

MMORPG developers simply don't know what threading is. Most of them you will find only has 1-2 main threads. The G3258 overclocked is probably is the best chip for a straight MMORPG gaming workstation.

MMORPG developers simply don't know what threading is. Most of them you will find only has 1-2 main threads. The G3258 overclocked is probably is the best chip for a straight MMORPG gaming workstation.

And that is why I buy cheap processors and put the real money in graphics cards.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

trolling u.u just like the benchmarks, I think they try to get intel attention so they lower they price, which is a good thing, right, RIGHT?

Hey bud, if you can show me a AMD chip that performs better than my i7 i would gladly go back to AMD. I owned a 6300 that I OC'd to 5ghz and a 8350 that i ran @ 4.8ghz. I am only a fan of performance. I prefer the brand that suits my needs and performs the best. My i7 @ 4ghz performs better, uses less power and gives off less heat compared to the latter. All the proof i needed to be happy with my decision.

You wouldnt find a post from me calling AMD Cpu's crap but i am also not going to say they are better than Intel Cpu's because that is just not true.

You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Hey bud, if you can show me a AMD chip that performs better than my i7 i would gladly go back to AMD. I owned a 6300 that I OC'd to 5ghz and a 8350 that i ran @ 4.8ghz. I am only a fan of performance. I prefer the brand that suits my needs and performs the best. My i7 @ 4ghz performs better, uses less power and gives off less heat compared to the latter. All the proof i needed to be happy with my decision.

You wouldnt find a post from me calling AMD Cpu's crap but i am also not going to say they are better than Intel Cpu's because that is just not true.

ofc there is no such thing. i didn't said an fx is better than i7, is that with such a small difference in some benchamrks, they try to get intels atention and so they lower price, cuz that's the main point with fx, price per performance.

ofc there is no such thing. i didn't said an fx is better than i7, is that with such a small difference in some benchamrks, they try to get intels atention and so they lower price, cuz that's the main point with fx, price per performance.

Ya, after reading your post again i realized i had originally misunderstood what you were saying. :P
You can't be serious.  Hyperthreading is a market joke?

Of course! But the article shows the still good value the FX 8350 provides and I'm sure glad it does. I have seen countless members saying the FX 8350 will bottleneck everything above a 280X and there you have it... with SLI 980s throwing punches with a 4930K, I'd love to see a forum member write that a 4930K would bottleneck a 290...

Well I definitely experience bottlenecks from my FX 8320 to my R9 290 in cpu bound games like BF3, Planetside 2, COD Ghosts, Witcher 2, Watchdogs, the Metros, and Skyrim. I'm not the only one either and I've tried everything to fix it. It's probably due to my 970 motherboard but I never experience thermal throttling. 

This guy jkteddy77 was having the same issues I'm having and after trying all kinds of different bios settings and overclocks and re-installs he ended up switching to intel and all the stutters and low gpu usage went away. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq9dSLOElX4

lol my single oc'ed 780ti can get over 240 in BI at 1440p. I call bs on this.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

I read this article the other day and while it appears well written there are some holes in the story.

1. As said before the clock speed of the 8350 is not stated.

2. Speaking of price things are a bit skewed because the 4390k is using a $400 plus mobo to get to the $1050 vs $300 total. Good x79 mobos can be had for ~$225, making it more of a $800 vs $300 comparison, which adds to sensationalism of the story.

With the holes above there are some factors that give credit to the results.

1. In response to "1." above. Even at 5GHz 8350 is only ~10% faster than a 8350 at stock in most games, so even the "overclock" of the 8350 would only add ~10% to the results. I other words if you dropped the 8350 scores by 10% it is still very competitive, esp. when price is considered. Also the mobo is a UD3 so I highly doubt they are running LN2 at 6GHz, not like it would matter anyway.

2. I can't remember the article, I believe it was Anandtech, but they did a comparison of two card scaling between the Intel and AMD chipsets and Nvidia cards scaled better on AMD hardware then on Intel, (also AMD cards scaled better on Intel then AMD, go figure). They never explained why this happened, the way AMD and Nvidia cards do their SLI/Crossfire thing are actually very different and the AMD chipset could have a design that allows the type of data the Nvidia cards use in SLI to be more efficiently handled than on the Intel chipset, just a guess. The frame rates were still higher on the Intel/Nvidia than the AMD/Nvidia, but the second card on AMD was closer to 100% scaling than on the Intel. Or this could be an issue of scaling on new cards and drivers, they don't have single card benchmarks. 

They do say at the end that they are working on 1150 socket I7 and I5 benchmarks, so we will have to wait to see if those results are what we expect as there are a number of those benchmark results around the web to compare to, in order to sniff out the possibility of a stinker.

Seems like a bullshit article form a bullshit OP making bullshit, sensationalist claims and for what, internet attention? 

Congrats, you got it. 

So much BS is present in this "article". 

This isn't even an article, this doesn't fit in the requirements of this. This belongs in the benchmarks section at best. What a bunch of garbage. 

GW2 is completely multithreaded and there are still situations where too many people = ~12 fps on high settings, and this is on a dual Titan Black build and a 4960X.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

GW2 is completely multithreaded and there are still situations where too many people = ~12 fps on high settings, and this is on a dual Titan Black build and a 4960X.

One of my issues with benchmarking MMOs is that I'm not a networking guy, right but having so much happening in one area and having to have much information sent from the server to you may not result in a CPU bottleneck as much as it could be a bandwidth or latency bottleneck between the server and all of the players it needs to send information out to, so because I don't have a great understanding of it and I can't get all of the numbers from it I sort of take large groups with a grain of salt, but without large numbers of people the intel runs away with it.

Why do you always die right after I fix you?

One of my issues with benchmarking MMOs is that I'm not a networking guy, right but having so much happening in one area and having to have much information sent from the server to you may not result in a CPU bottleneck as much as it could be a bandwidth or latency bottleneck between the server and all of the players it needs to send information out to, so because I don't have a great understanding of it and I can't get all of the numbers from it I sort of take large groups with a grain of salt, but without large numbers of people the intel runs away with it.

On a 100Mbps up and down connection, it's not that :)

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

It could be at 6 or more with LN2

LOL. The picture shows it being cooled by some CM cooler, perhaps the TX3 or TX3 Evo, not LN2 or a water loop.

Nah GW 2 is like WoW. Main work is done on two cores. WoW can use more than 2 cores to, but it isn't well threaded. It helps but not much and damn near zero after 4. A well threaded MMO doesn't exist and probably won't until DX 12/Mantle is adopted on it. You simply have to OC to get to near 30 fps in heavy combat in that game. An I5 k at 4.5 ghz (which is what I ran at in that game) can come close to 30 in heavy WvW. I saw zero difference turning off HT in Guild Wars 2 (4770k).

Intel kills AMD on both those games. In WoW it is bearable, GW2? That game may as well come with a I5 K with an aftermarket cooler requirement,  if you want to do World vs World combat. 

GW 2 also has culling now as an option. You can drop one setting down, OC that X and you should be near 30. AMD? Don't even bother trying to play Guild Wars 2 unless you have no plan on doing World Vs World. WoW should be better on AMD CPU's in the expansion though. They said they offloaded some stuff to the GPU, and I have been in battles in Ashran with 100's of players with great frame rates.

If you are getting 12 FPS it is because you are running at stock speeds with no culling. 

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

I'm calling bullshit... I used to have that CPU, which is not as fast as my current 3770k. And my 3770k is not as fast as a 4930k...

CPU: I7 3770k @4.8 ghz | GPU: GTX 1080 FE SLI | RAM: 16gb (2x8gb) gskill sniper 1866mhz | Mobo: Asus P8Z77-V LK | PSU: Rosewill Hive 1000W | Case: Corsair 750D | Cooler:Corsair H110| Boot: 2X Kingston v300 120GB RAID 0 | Storage: 1 WD 1tb green | 2 3TB seagate Barracuda|

Nah GW 2 is like WoW. Main work is done on two cores. WoW can use more than 2 cores to, but it isn't well threaded. It helps but not much and damn near zero after 4. A well threaded MMO doesn't exist and probably won't until DX 12/Mantle is adopted on it. You simply have to OC to get to near 30 fps in heavy combat in that game. An I5 k at 4.5 ghz (which is what I ran at in that game) can come close to 30 in heavy WvW. I saw zero difference turning off HT in Guild Wars 2 (4770k).

Intel kills AMD on both those games. In WoW it is bearable, GW2? That game may as well come with a I5 K with an aftermarket cooler requirement, if you want to do World vs World combat.

GW 2 also has culling now as an option. You can drop one setting down, OC that X and you should be near 30. AMD? Don't even bother trying to play Guild Wars 2 unless you have no plan on doing World Vs World. WoW should be better on AMD CPU's in the expansion though. They said they offloaded some stuff to the GPU, and I have been in battles in Ashran with 100's of players with great frame rates.

If you are getting 12 FPS it is because you are running at stock speeds with no culling.

WvW I tend to get 30+. Try getting that while fighting tequatl with a full server standing around.

While I could see it being true, honestly...the numbers are way, way too close. It's not really a huge deal.

I'd also have been more interested if they'd gone 4790k vs 8350.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Well is not a suprise that one if faster than di other. fhhhhhrtghthyyhmmmmmm

Cry Me A River B)

I think the main thing to take away from this is, that for pure gaming PCs there's no real reason to have anything better than an 8350/i5, except in certain cases. It's better to put that money into a better/another graphics card instead. It's what I've been saying for a while now.

Intel i7 6700k @ 4.8ghz, NZXT Kraken X61, ASUS Z170 Maximus VIII Hero, (2x8GB) Kingston DDR4 2400, 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury OC+, Thermaltake 1050W

All in a Semi Truck!:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/519811-semi-truck-gaming-pc/#entry6905347

Would be nice to see and compare with a resolution scaling review on either the single or dual GPU setup with each CPU.

1280x720, 1440x900, 1600x900, 1680x1050, 1920x1080

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

you know, i use a AMD FX8350 @ 4.601Ghz, but it just isn't competitive with Intel's newest stuff, i find these benchmarks hard to believe.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online

B-b-b-bullshit combo breaker.

“The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it the more it will contract” -Oliver Wendell Holmes “If it can be destroyed by the truth, it deserves to be destroyed by the truth.” -Carl Sagan

as an AMD fan but a recent Intel convert, i find this a bit hard to believe (as much as i secretly want to). all of these games are GPU-bound, so of course the difference is going to be negligible.

how about running something like Dota 2 or even Half Life 2... y'know, something thread-dependent on any resolution?

Desktop: CM Elite 130 - Corsair CX600M PSU - Asus Maximus VI Impact - Intel Core i7-4790K (@4.4GHz) - Corsair H80i - 2x8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 - Asus DirectCUII Radeon R9 290 - 250GB Samsung EVO SSD + 4TB WD Red HDD

Laptop: Asus N56DP-DH11 (AMD A10-4600M - Radeon HD7730M) -------------------------------------------------------- I know, I'm a bit of an AMD fanboy --------------------------------------------------------

"It's not what you drive; it's how you drive it."   ~~Jeremy Clark, TopGear

lol go look at GRID and look at the refresh rate on that monitor O.o 23?

Needs Update