HP to split into two separate companies: one for PCs and printers, another for enterprise

dlf

Source: http://www.techspot.com/news/58310-hp-to-split-into-two-separate-companies-one-for-pcs-and-printers-another-for-enterprise.html

Hewlett Packard is expected to announce plans to split into two separate companies as early as tomorrow. Enterprise computing and services will be the focus of one of the new companies while the other will be tasked with building and selling PCs and printers according to a report from The Wall Street Journal.

Current HP CEO Meg Whitman will lead the enterprise-focused company as its CEO while serving as the chairman of the PC and printer business. Chairman duties for the enterprise company, meanwhile, will fall on Patricia Russo while Dion Weisler will be named CEO of the PC and printer company.

This isn’t the first time HP has considered a split. Back in 2011, the company explored the possibility of spinning off its PC business under former CEO Leo Apotheker. The idea was unpopular among shareholders and ultimately cost him his job. He was officially replaced by Whitman, eBay’s former chief, in September of 2011.

If true, the world’s second largest PC vendor will join a growing list of companies looking to split or otherwise slim down. Last month, Toshiba announced plans to pull out of select consumer PC markets to shift its focus on business clients while eBay said it would spin PayPal off into a separate company next year.

Many in the corporate world believe that a leaner company with a narrower focus often performs better. As such, moves like this have typically been welcomed by shareholders and sometimes even requested.

Well that's random and unexpected. Wonder how this will effect computing. What will be next? Sony? MS?

Not a big fan of their computers anyway. I do like their printers however.

their printers are nice but they purposefully screw you over on ink. Mine won't let me print black and white things w/o color cartridges, it uses color when printing in black and white, the cartridges are way too overpriced, and they put a chip in the cartridges so you cant use generics.  $50 dollars/month on ink is a bit ridiculous.

Break up all the companies!!!

You break it, you buy it.

I break it, I buy it, take it home, reverse engineer it, begin manufacture, sell the product and put the other company out of business.

their printers are nice but they purposefully screw you over on ink. Mine won't let me print black and white things w/o color cartridges, it uses color when printing in black and white, the cartridges are way too overpriced, and they put a chip in the cartridges so you cant use generics.  $50 dollars/month on ink is a bit ridiculous.

Mine allows me to use generic cartridges. I'm surprised it doesn't even let generics on yours. Only thing that happens with generic ink is on the touch screen on it, it complains that it might not be high quality printing (which is fake as hell). The one i have also has a separate cartridge for true black and the other for darkening the colours. It sorta all depends on which one you have, I guess.

their printers are nice but they purposefully screw you over on ink. Mine won't let me print black and white things w/o color cartridges, it uses color when printing in black and white, the cartridges are way too overpriced, and they put a chip in the cartridges so you cant use generics. $50 dollars/month on ink is a bit ridiculous.

I find all brands to be a rip off on ink cartridges, this why despite laser and toner printers being expensive they are a much better investment on the long run

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Tried to find HP meme, only found ones relating to harry potter.

I just wish someone would make a printer that was worth a damn, every single one we've ever owned has worked decently for a few months, then becomes a complete pain in the ass to use.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Source: http://www.techspot.com/news/58310-hp-to-split-into-two-separate-companies-one-for-pcs-and-printers-another-for-enterprise.html

Well that's random and unexpected. Wonder how this will effect computing. What will be next? Sony? MS?

Sony already spun off their PC division. MS? They ain't going anywhere. While other companies stock has tanked since the last crash, MS is making money left and right.

Tried to find HP meme, only found ones relating to harry potter.

I just wish someone would make a printer that was worth a damn, every single one we've ever owned has worked decently for a few months, then becomes a complete pain in the ass to use.

Know whats funny? A company was throwing away old laser printers. I got a few HP LaserJet 1022n's. Thing prints pages as soon as I hit print. No stupid ass ink to deal with. Best printer ever. Screw these new printers lol.

CPU:24/7-4770k @ 4.5ghz/4.0 cache @ 1.22V override, 1.776 VCCIN. MB: Z87-G41 PC Mate. Cooling: Hyper 212 evo push/pull. Ram: Gskill Ares 1600 CL9 @ 2133 1.56v 10-12-10-31-T1 150 TRFC. Case: HAF 912 stock fans (no LED crap). HD: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB. Display: Dell S2340M IPS. GPU: Sapphire Tri-x R9 290. PSU:CX600M OS: Win 7 64 bit/Mac OS X Mavericks, dual boot Hackintosh.

Sony already spun off their PC division. MS? They ain't going anywhere. While other companies stock has tanked since the last crash, MS is making money left and right.

Know whats funny? A company was throwing away old laser printers. I got a few HP LaserJet 1022n's. Thing prints pages as soon as I hit print. No stupid ass ink to deal with. Best printer ever. Screw these new printers lol.

I wish I could get one of those. Ours just jam up constantly no matter how often we get out the micrometer whilst loading a single page of paper into the paper tray lol

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This is kinda unexpected. But with luck their products won't suck as much now. I actually like my DeskJet 1010. Not bad for a cheap printer.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

I wonder if printer ink is cheaper, cause HP ink so expensive. 

I did a calculation back when they used to put the ml numbers on the packaging.  One of those 15-16 dollar small sized black inks often had around 4.5ml of ink.

I scaled that up to a gallon at the same retail price rates.  It came out to costing over 11,000 dollars a gallon.  Nice business.  Even a declining printing business will allow them to shore up other areas for years because it is so profitable.

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

"HP = Horrible Product"

-Carey Holzman

That is unbelievably true. Their computers are generally shit. Idk why they are so big... 

I have a similar story. My mom's company is going bankrupt and they were giving away all their stuff. We got three free HP monitors and some laptops for $50 bucks a pop (pretty decent ones, too. We got an 8540w, 2540p and an 8740w). My mom was using the 2540p and she said it wasn't a bad laptop. They all have dedicated graphics card and i7s, so that was pretty cool

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Who cares? HP was dead to me when they desperately pushed for WebOS instead of jumping on Android.

Who cares? HP was dead to me when they desperately pushed for WebOS instead of jumping on Android.

WebOS? Isn't that the thing in LG tvs? What does HP have to do with that? They don't even make TVs?

Edit: Just read the wikipedia article on WebOS, never mind

I done been through a whole lot. Trial, tribulations, but I know God - Kendrick Lamar

I question your mother's upbringing if you don't like me - Action Bronson

You apocalyptic dingleberry - James 'Captain Slow' May

Still better than Lexmark. Their printers have all of those problems, plus they don't fucking work 90% of the time.

I'm actually happy that HP is splitting up. Their original core company was pretty good in computers once upon a time. Maybe we can see HP bring itself out of the gutter in the next few years.

Oh HP...I wish you'd go back to the days of these:

-snip-

Oh yea, HP Reverse Polish Notation! Sadly they only have 1 calculator that has RPN, and its the 35s, which got mixed reviews and is expensive as hell. The only other option is to get a financial calculator, but as an engineering student, that won't fly.

EDIT: And to everyone complaining about printers, buy any Brother Laser B&W printer, and you're set for life. Monoprice even has replacement toner cartridges on the cheap.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.

Oh yea, HP Reverse Polish Notation! Sadly they only have 1 calculator that has RPN, and its the 35s, which got mixed reviews and is expensive as hell. The only other option is to get a financial calculator, but as an engineering student, that won't fly.

I have an original 32SII and I do everything on it. 

Go look at the RPN thread in my sig!

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Oh HP...I wish you'd go back to the days of these:

Hp_15c.jpg

#CasioMasterRace

#CasioMasterRace

Casio...? THEY MAKE ALGEBRAIC CALCULATORS! HERESY!

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Buy Laser... never have printer problems again ;)

Also some HP printers have excellent (As in, some of the best in the consumer market) cost per page performance. You need to get into their mid or high end consumer level "office" inkjet printers. Especially the ones that use pigment based ink, as they resist "drying out" more. But seriously, laser printers are way better in 99% of uses - except in photo printing.

Course, Laser isn't very good for photo prints, since you can't use the really nice high gloss photopaper... BUT you can always just go to Wal-Mart or Black's Photography or whatever store offers photo printing service in your area.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)