Apple to show new iPads, retina iMacs and OS X Yosemite on October 16

Heisenbleurgh

Well in that machine...it's 1600MHz SODIMMs...and you can upgrade the RAM yourself so it's sort of not an issue.

Apple started soldering them in the 2013 iMacs. You can't upgrade, at least not without a heat gun, wide pliers, and a gentle hand.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I actually can't wait for Yosemite to roll out. Looks pretty neat. Wish I had a Mac Mini to take advantage of it. Sadly, that isn't gonna happen.

8e50703f96.png

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Apple started soldering them in the 2013 iMacs. You can't upgrade, at least not without a heat gun, wide pliers, and a gentle hand.

No. There's a little RAM door in the back.

imac-ram-pull.jpg

The RAM is in that cage there.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Still no new Mac Mini? FFS Apple. :/

No. There's a little RAM door in the back.

imac-ram-pull.jpg

The RAM is in that cage there.

SODIMM... Why?

Still no new Mac Mini? FFS Apple. :/

SODIMM... Why?

Because I believe they use mobile processors as well and SODIMMs are very compact.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I want new mac mini and macbook pro/air.

Rig CPU Intel i5 3570K at 4.2 GHz - MB MSI Z77A-GD55 - RAM Kingston 8GB 1600 mhz - GPU XFX 7870 Double D - Keyboard Logitech G710+

Case Corsair 600T - Storage Intel 330 120GB, WD Blue 1TB - CPU Cooler Noctua NH-D14 - Displays Dell U2312HM, Asus VS228, Acer AL1715

i bought an iPad 2... I still have it. I dont think I will buy one again; it's just not worth it to me and it just sits on my desk. I may sell it actually..

As far as the retina iMac goes, thats cool. Hope the price isnt through the roof lol.

And I too am interested in a new Mac mini... I honestly like those

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

@build what do you think about the new iPad what do you except?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Because I believe they use mobile processors as well and SODIMMs are very compact.

Normal desktop CPU's, but SODIMMs because of the thickness of the system.

Personally, I'd prefer the older thicker iMac with better GPU in there. Turn that thickness into a lovely heatsink. 

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

Normal desktop CPU's, but SODIMMs because of the thickness of the system.

Personally, I'd prefer the older thicker iMac with better GPU in there. Turn that thickness into a lovely heatsink. 

I mean the 775M is also a helluva graphics processor for a standard computer too.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Will it bend that is the question? #BlendGate

-snip

OMG I want that blender... I'd like to see him blend all 3 consoles.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I mean the 775M is also a helluva graphics processor for a standard computer too.

Oh true, but no one would complain if they managed to get a full GTX960 or 970 squeezed in there. :D

Oh true, but no one would complain if they managed to get a full GTX960 or 970 squeezed in there. :D

They would be the company to manage that...like the Mac Pro.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Oh yes! Fingers crossed indeed. A Mac Mini with a decent GPU would make a lot of people happy, and garner a lot of buyers.

It would be the closest to the fabled  xMac.

Oh yes! Fingers crossed indeed. A Mac Mini with a decent GPU would make a lot of people happy, and garner a lot of buyers.

It would be the closest to the fabled  xMac.

The xMac was something entirely different though...I'd say the closest thing to the xMac archetype would be the old PowerMac G5 design Mac Pro.

I think you underestimate what would make people happy. Apple could only make these people happy if they released a gaming machine that was cheaper and more powerful than their own by a significant margin and ran Windows out of the box.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

The xMac was something entirely different though...I'd say the closest thing to the xMac archetype would be the old PowerMac G5 design Mac Pro.

I think you underestimate what would make people happy. Apple could only make these people happy if they released a gaming machine that was cheaper and more powerful than their own by a significant margin and ran Windows out of the box.

True, but the xMac needs consumer hardware. I liked my old Mac Pro, but it cost a bomb due to it being a workstation.

I guess, you're right. The average PC gamer will almost always build their own, and often ignore anything that's not within those realms.

Still a Mac Mni with a dedicated graphics card would serve many so  well. Even if they just got some nice mobile Graphics in there. Essentially an iMac without a monitor. Great thing for those that want a desktop Mac without a Monitor, but don't need or want the Mac Pro.

I and many would be happy if the Mac Pro gets an option to have NVIDIA Maxwell GPUs, along with Haswell-E and DDR4. :D

..........................................................................................................................

sigh.jpg

Do you see where the gpu cards are held and what their dimensions are? No nvidia solution will fit.

Do you see where the gpu cards are held and what their dimensions are? No nvidia solution will fit.

I don't think anything's out of the question. Look at the Mac Pro. I don't think anyone expected that.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

..........................................................................................................................

sigh.jpg

and no one before thought you could fit a professional grade workstation with workstation hardware into something this small, but guess what? They did. Don't underestimate what engineers and designers can come up with when they're up for it. 

mac-pro-under-the-hood.jpg

It's not like it's actually that hard to do. The PCBs on graphics cards are huge compared to the little dies housed on them. 

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just wait until Intel releases Skylake-EP with an onboard ECC GPU. OpenCL has a bright future ahead, much as though I hate it as a programming language, preferring CUDA.

I never understood why iPad Air already does not have finger print reader anyway. What are they adding besides that?

I feel like Apple should give up on the yearly schedule for the iPad line and go for a bi-yearly one instead. I don't think there is that much interest in for tablets anymore. Furthermore, once you get a tablet it is likely that tablet will last you for a long time, longer than your phone so there is less incentive to buy another one next year.

1. No tablets have fingerprint readers- it seems less useful on a huge screen.

2. That's backed by what? iPad sales are higher than ever, and it's not like a phone where you're expected to upgrade on a strict schedule- the iPad is updated yearly to entice users on older models. iPods are the only thing Apple doesn't upgrade yearly; even Macs get at least small spec bumps once a year.

If they extend the battery life even more and offer multitasking, I would love a new iPad Air.

Mostly because my current iPad Air has a shattered screen, only reason for me to get a new one.

4 > Air was a big update. i don't think Air > Air 2 will be so.

Might just get a Mini, depending on how the screen is on the mini this time.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

It's not like it's actually that hard to do. The PCBs on graphics cards are huge compared to the little dies housed on them. 

Well yeah but that huge PCB has power distribution, memory, other chips and processors...you should know that. It's not just a tiny little die.

It's not as if it's using low TDP parts. It's a workstation that you can fit in your backpack. It has a full socketed (not BGA) LGA2011 processor, four DIMM slots, a PCIe SSD slot, and two workstation grade graphics cards. It runs nearly silent 90% of the time and when the fan turns on there's only one of them and it's very quiet.

If it's so easy why didn't anyone else do it first?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /