Apple to show new iPads, retina iMacs and OS X Yosemite on October 16

Heisenbleurgh

I wonder what they will do with the new iPad. All I can think of is the slightly better SoC they introduced with the iPhone 6 and a finger print scanner. Maybe make it slightly thinner as well?

I don't think they will increase the resolution again but who knows, maybe they will. I really hope for more RAM and front facing speakers. Those are two things I think the iPad lacks.

I think this will be a very minor iterative upgrade over the iPad Air.

This is a stretch, but I'm hoping the 12 inch will be called the iPad Pro and run osx with similar specs to the Macbook Air's. Touch ID on the new ipad pro and ipad air/mini. That's what I'm hoping for anyway. All I really want is a tablet that can play LoL and not weigh a shit tonne and be over priced. (Here's lookin at you Razer Edge)

The problem I have with your argument here is you basically say "Look! It's easy! All you have to is x, y, and z!" when you don't realize that x, y, and z are all individual challenges themselves that aren't faced when we build computers or when an OEM like Dell, HP, or Acer builds a computer. Looking back on it now you can say "Wow! That's so logical and easy! Why didn't anyone else think of that?" And the answer to that question, is, of course, that it's not an easy thing to do.

All Apple products are like that. In hindsight they look incredibly simple and logically thought out but that's the point. Creating a product that is so logical it confounds the intellect to question why it hasn't been done before is their thing. Blackberry thought the iPhone couldn't possibly have good battery life in a form factor like that. Well, turns out the iPhone is a tiny computer on a strip of PCB with a massive battery taking up 80-90% of the internal space. Yes, it looks logical. But even today, most manufacturers still stack their PCBs inside their phones as it's always been done.

Just like most PC manufacturers will not switch to manufacturing computers like the Mac Pro. Because it's not easy. It may have a simple design but I can assure you from inception to design and engineering to production there were several billion dollars spent in R&D and retooling of their machines to churn out devices such as the Mac Pro. There are almost no stock parts in the Mac Pro. And that's what makes it hard.

PC OEMs these days don't want to innovate in the desktop space. It's been a stagnant market for a long time now because everyone (including all of us) is used to just dropping processors into sockets and snapping graphics cards into PCIe slots that we couldn't see farther than that. 

No no no, your leading argument is a straw man. It can be done and done in mass production because it is easy. No one thought of it, because no one saw a need/demand. Apple found a way to sell style, plain and simple.

Aluminum clamshell on the MBP is very difficult. Aluminum and sharp corner construction don't generally mix. Thus they added magnesium in varying proportions until it worked.  lot of production runs, a lot of experimentation, a lot of difficulty.

And PC manufacturers won't switch because Apple has trademarks and product dress rights to the overall shape and design for the next 12 years (which is bullshit thank you world patent offices).

Um, it's all stock parts except for the main board. You rip the GPU core off its pcb and put it on a new one which is really just a rearranged old one, but printed on the same board as the CPU(s). Is there actually a dual-CPU mac pro? I thought there was a single 12-core max and that was it. The SSD is just on a PCIe riser, and now we can have M.2.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Um, it's all stock parts except for the main board. You rip the GPU core off its pcb and put it on a new one which is really just a rearranged old one, but printed on the same board as the CPU(s). Is there actually a dual-CPU mac pro? I thought there was a single 12-core max and that was it. The SSD is just on a PCIe riser, and now we can have M.2.

I never claimed there was a dual CPU Mac Pro. All of them have dual GPUs though. 

The bolded statement there just shows the problem here. You seem to think that's easy for a PC manufacturer to do when most of them just buy nVidia/ATI OEM cards and pop 'em in.

The custom main board is difficult too. There are literally no stock parts in the Mac Pro aside from the original cores themselves, which are a tiny part of the overall design.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Are you literally retarded?

He literally just described how to make a custom part without realizing it so...I'm not sure at this point.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

He literally just described how to make a custom part without realizing it so...I'm not sure at this point.

I'm seriously asking. Not sure if he's trolling or seriously, literally retarded. 

I'm seriously asking. Not sure if he's trolling or seriously, literally retarded. 

No he's quite serious. I know him well.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I never claimed there was a dual CPU Mac Pro. All of them have dual GPUs though. 

The bolded statement there just shows the problem here. You seem to think that's easy for a PC manufacturer to do when most of them just buy nVidia/ATI OEM cards and pop 'em in.

The custom main board is difficult too. There are literally no stock parts in the Mac Pro aside from the original cores themselves, which are a tiny part of the overall design.

That was my confusion. Late night, exam day.

It is easy for a PC manufacturer to work with ASUS, EVGA, Powercolor, Gigabyte, or MSI to design one IO board. The RAM, GPU cores, CPU, fan header(s), drive ports, capacitors, and most of it is all stock. It's just been reshaped.

And what's complicated about the design other than it's a triangular prism? The chassis is easy to build, though I imagine the board is robotically mounted.

The design is cool, but revolutionary? REALLY?!

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Are you? You do know GPUs are just soldered to the graphics cards they're on. You can remove them and put them back on and retain all functionality.

That was my confusion. Late night, exam day.

It is easy for a PC manufacturer to work with ASUS, EVGA, Powercolor, Gigabyte, or MSI to design one IO board. The RAM, GPU cores, CPU, fan header(s), drive ports, capacitors, and most of it is all stock. It's just been reshaped.

And what's complicated about the design other than it's a triangular prism? The chassis is easy to build, though I imagine the board is robotically mounted.

The design is cool, but revolutionary? REALLY?!

WELL OF COURSE! THE RESHAPING IS THE HARD PART!

Nobody's claiming they're using dragon blood capacitors or something.

You keep throwing this word "easy" around. I do not think it means what you think it means. And if it does, I'd love to see you make something like that.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

WELL OF COURSE! THE RESHAPING IS THE HARD PART!

Nobody's claiming they're using dragon blood capacitors or something.

You keep throwing this word "easy" around. I do not think it means what you think it means. And if it does, I'd love to see you make something like that.

I lack the supplies. Most PC manufacturers don't. I mean, given most of a pcb is plastic and copper, you have to bend it into shape at around 150*C and probably do some patching since inevitably some silicon and copper will fray in the process, but the rest of it is the fundamental circuit design board makers have been using forever, building a triangular prism chassis (easy task), attaching them, giving it an aluminum shell, and dump a Noctua 3000 RPM PPC fan on it with a filter. How is this super far and above what they're already doing by crushing PCs into NUCs?

I lack the supplies. Most PC manufacturers don't. I mean, given most of a pcb is plastic and copper, you have to bend it into shape at around 150*C and probably do some patching since inevitably some silicon and copper will fray in the process, but the rest of it is the fundamental circuit design board makers have been using forever, building a triangular prism chassis (easy task), attaching them, giving it an aluminum shell, and dump a Noctua 3000 RPM PPC fan on it with a filter. How is this super far and above what they're already doing by crushing PCs into NUCs?

You keep saying it's easy but there's no example of it or anything similar really being done before successfully.

Comparing a NUC to a Mac Pro is like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Bugatti. There's literally no comparison between the two. The NUC takes SODIMMs and mSATA, only uses BGA low-TDP parts, and doesn't have a graphics card. That's the difference. When you see PC manufacturers try to do shit like this it's a completely unmitigated fuckup in every sense of the word. Take the Gigabyte Brix for example -- that doesn't even have a socket 2011 processor and it only has one graphics card AND IT STILL BARELY RUNS AND HAS OVERHEATING PROBLEMS!

Also what the fuck are you talking about with the bent PCBs? There's no PCB bending in the Mac Pro.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

@patrickjp93, you pissed Builder off. It would probably be in your best interest to drop the issue. Trust me.

Nah we're pals. It's a friendly debate :)

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

You keep saying it's easy but there's no example of it or anything similar really being done before successfully.

Comparing a NUC to a Mac Pro is like comparing a Ford Fiesta to a Bugatti. There's literally no comparison between the two. The NUC takes SODIMMs and mSATA, only uses BGA low-TDP parts, and doesn't have a graphics card. That's the difference. When you see PC manufacturers try to do shit like this it's a completely unmitigated fuckup in every sense of the word. Take the Gigabyte Brix for example -- that doesn't even have a socket 2011 processor and it only has one graphics card AND IT STILL BARELY RUNS AND HAS OVERHEATING PROBLEMS!

Also what the fuck are you talking about with the bent PCBs? There's no PCB bending in the Mac Pro.

Dude, look at the Mainboard of the MacPro. It's bent in a triangle. The three sections are not joined by wires! I was wrong.

http://herefortheweather.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/mac-pro-2013-inside-top.jpg

Dude, look at the Mainboard of the MacPro. It's bent in a triangle. The three sections are not joined by wires!

No it's not. They're joined by connectors at the bottom:

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

cnDbc4I.jpg

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Dude, look at the Mainboard of the MacPro. It's bent in a triangle. The three sections are not joined by wires!

http://herefortheweather.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/mac-pro-2013-inside-top.jpg

Dude.. Those are three independent PCB's joined by connections at the base and each can be removed.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Mac+Pro+Late+2013+Teardown/20778

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

@patrickjp93

I suggest you actually learn more about this device before trying to argue about it with us again. It's more complicated than you realize and it's affecting your judgment.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I'm gonna have to agree with Builder for once. I openly dislike Apple, and even I knew all of this...

EDIT: Other than the RAM. Those are clearly off-the-shelf DIMMs...

No it's not. They're joined by connectors at the bottom:

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

That makes this task a joke honestly. With that much modularity It's obvious how to design the PCIe controller and bus, where to put the fan, how to build a better heat sink than that. If only I had industrial tools and a free $12000 to invest in a test run.

I'm gonna have to agree with Builder for once. I openly dislike Apple, and even I knew all of this...

EDIT: Other than the RAM. Those are clearly off-the-shelf DIMMs...

I think what's really telling in this instance is that even from you, who openly hates me, who openly hates Apple, regardless of whether or not you think it's practical, you agree.

That makes this task a joke honestly.

But you still haven't said why! The only compelling examples of this by PC companies both suck: the NUC and the Gigabyte Brix Gaming. The NUC is barely powerful enough for anything and the Gigabyte Brix has temperature control issues. 

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I think what's really telling in this instance is that even from you, who openly hates me, who openly hates Apple, regardless of whether or not you think it's practical, you agree.

But you still haven't said why! The only compelling examples of this by PC companies both suck: the NUC and the Gigabyte Brix Gaming. The NUC is barely powerful enough for anything and the Gigabyte Brix has temperature control issues. 

The NUC is the attempt to go absolutely silent in the smallest package possible. The Mac Mini is a copy of a NUC with a slightly different form factor. 

It's a joke because you can optimize each system independently and not care about overall airflow/cooling because you know it's all coming right up through the center. If Apple didn't own the trade dress to this form factor any company could build these and sell for 2/3 the cost.

The NUC is the attempt to go absolutely silent in the smallest package possible. The Mac Mini is a copy of a NUC with a slightly different form factor.

It's a joke because you can optimize each system independently and not care about overall airflow/cooling because you know it's all coming right up through the center. If Apple didn't own the trade dress to this form factor any company could build these and sell for 2/3 the cost.

I might be wrong but didn't the Mac mini came out first that the nuc if so it's backwards then

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Yeah no...not possible to get it lower cost. ATI gave them a deal on the graphics so it's not possible to get cheaper.

Also the Mac Mini came first so au contraire, the NUC copied the Mac Mini if you even want to call that copying...they're entirely different devices.

If it was so easy then why did nobody do it before Apple? The answer is simple: they didn't care. Nobody cares about innovation for progress' sake anymore except them save maybe Lenovo and Dell. The market was stagnant, they disrupted it, QED. Plain and simple. I haven't even made any judgments on whether or not it's a good machine. You remain convinced that it's easy to do even though the Brix failed epically at attempting basically the same thing.

I'm done here. Builder out.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

the mac mini came out well the NUC did....

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz