Apple to show new iPads, retina iMacs and OS X Yosemite on October 16

Heisenbleurgh

Well yeah but that huge PCB has power distribution, memory, other chips and processors...you should know that. It's not just a tiny little die.

It's not as if it's using low TDP parts. It's a workstation that you can fit in your backpack. It has a full socketed (not BGA) LGA2011 processor, four DIMM slots, a PCIe SSD slot, and two workstation grade graphics cards. It runs nearly silent 90% of the time and when the fan turns on there's only one of them and it's very quiet.

If it's so easy why didn't anyone else do it first?

Just because it was easy doesn't mean someone was motivated to do so. And come on, only 4 RAM slots? ;)

And yes I know all that stuff goes on a GPU PCB, but it's very spread out on that card. You can fit it all in less than half the space, as the Mac Pro proves.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Just because it was easy doesn't mean someone was motivated to do so. And come on, only 4 RAM slots? ;)

And yes I know all that stuff goes on a GPU PCB, but it's very spread out on that card. You can fit it all in less than half the space, as the Mac Pro proves.

I think you underestimate the difficulty. There's a lot of case mods that attempt the same thing but can only fit an ITX motherboard with the lowest TDP i3 in it.

The reason why Apple was the first to do it is because they're the only people that actually make computers these days. Everyone else OEMs their parts and jams them together in different shaped boxes.The effort required to design all the custom work that went into the Mac Pro is too great for most PC companies these days.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I think you underestimate the difficulty. There's a lot of case mods that attempt the same thing but can only fit an ITX motherboard with the lowest TDP i3 in it.

The reason why Apple was the first to do it is because they're the only people that actually make computers these days. Everyone else OEMs their parts and jams them together in different shaped boxes.The effort required to design all the custom work that went into the Mac Pro is too great for most PC companies these days.

All Apple manages to fit is really a glorified ITX board that just has some available space on the back of the board for RAM/a GPU that isn't normally there on a 1-sided ITX board.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

All Apple manages to fit is really a glorified ITX board that just has some available space on the back of the board for RAM/a GPU that isn't normally there on a 1-sided ITX board.

So basically apple did something nobody else has done yet. Thanks for clarifying. 

Yeah, a C602 chipset ITX board with support for four ECC DIMMs, two workstation grade GPUs, and a PCIe SSD. Oh, and the whole thing is cooled with a single fan.

By that definition I guess unicorns are easy to make too, right?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

1. No tablets have fingerprint readers- it seems less useful on a huge screen.

A week ago I'd have said the same thing. Now I've got the iPhone 6 and switched to using TouchID, when I get home and use the iPad or my Windows PC, I realise how much time I waste typing in a passcode and how bad that experience is. I was really blown away by how much better TouchID is than HTC's implementation. I think largely because it is integrated into the button you use to unlock your phone, and most phones eschew the physical home button,

With an iPad it's easily rectified, for a Windows PC - I'm not sure - it'd need to be integrated into the keyboard for a truly seamless experience, but I am going to get a fingerprint scanner and see.

Yeah, a C602 chipset ITX board with support for four ECC DIMMs, two workstation grade GPUs, and a PCIe SSD. Oh, and the whole thing is cooled with a single fan.

By that definition I guess unicorns are easy to make too, right?

Well let's just be honest here! Some of the PCIe slots disappeared to make room for onboard GPU mounting and a second CPU by shifting over the DIMM slots. It's not as though the IOboard is all that radically designed apart from being turned into a trianglular prism... And the cooling system is simplicity at its best. It's not revolutionary. It's common sense. Concentrate the airflow where the heat is most concentrated, and give the air no room to go elsewhere. That's not exactly brilliant.

..........................................................................................................................

Do you see where the gpu cards are held and what their dimensions are? No nvidia solution will fit.

Who said fitting in a full completely made card?

All they need is the GPU itself, and they'll make their own PCBs. Just like they did with the current AMD FirePros; which use a lot more power compared to Maxwell and fit within the power envelope easily.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

I wonder what they will do with the new iPad. All I can think of is the slightly better SoC they introduced with the iPhone 6 and a finger print scanner. Maybe make it slightly thinner as well?

I don't think they will increase the resolution again but who knows, maybe they will. I really hope for more RAM and front facing speakers. Those are two things I think the iPad lacks.

I think this will be a very minor iterative upgrade over the iPad Air.

Will it bend that is the question? #BlendGate

Also

I cant believe that is still a thing. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

A week ago I'd have said the same thing. Now I've got the iPhone 6 and switched to using TouchID, when I get home and use the iPad or my Windows PC, I realise how much time I waste typing in a passcode and how bad that experience is. I was really blown away by how much better TouchID is than HTC's implementation. I think largely because it is integrated into the button you use to unlock your phone, and most phones eschew the physical home button,

With an iPad it's easily rectified, for a Windows PC - I'm not sure - it'd need to be integrated into the keyboard for a truly seamless experience, but I am going to get a fingerprint scanner and see.

I agree- Touch ID is great. But on a tablet, where you don't always hold it where the ID is under your thumb, it would be awkward sometimes.

I cant believe that is still a thing. 

It's ridiculous.

Most things will bend if you push with all your force- it wasn't like the guy was casually giving it a little force. He was PUSHING.

It's ridiculous.

Most things will bend if you push with all your force- it wasn't like the guy was casually giving it a little force. He was PUSHING.

I don't really care about that. Like I don't care about his terrible jokes about the gases that come from the final result. It's the fact that he is wasting a perfectly good piece of tech and for no better cause than the gain money. It's like those "iPhone versus gun" videos that will pop up every now and then. They should be renamed to, "Exploiting mindless drones who will watch this drivvle that has taken me less than an hour to create with the sole purpose of creating money." 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I agree- Touch ID is great. But on a tablet, where you don't always hold it where the ID is under your thumb, it would be awkward sometimes.

Ah yea fair enough. I usually hold my iPad in landscape mode. Forgot it could be held portraitly.

I don't really care about that. Like I don't care about his terrible jokes about the gases that come from the final result. It's the fact that he is wasting a perfectly good piece of tech and for no better cause than the gain money. It's like those "iPhone versus gun" videos that will pop up every now and then. They should be renamed to, "Exploiting mindless drones who will watch this drivvle that has taken me less than an hour to create with the sole purpose of creating money."

I think they blow up tech just because they can, I mean unless they use a 9mm, there's no way they do it for that youtube $ I'm sure you can buy a shit ton of iPhones whit how much money a 50.cal rifle and ammunition cost, yt $ must be like pocket change for them, just look a ratedrr those slow motion cams cost as much as the yearly income of some people, it's pointless for them if they want money, as for the bendgate video well 50+ million views sure covered a small supply of 6+, though he didn't expect to get so much views from that video, aside that one, his most viewed video barely has 500.000 views so it was pure luck

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Well let's just be honest here! Some of the PCIe slots disappeared to make room for onboard GPU mounting and a second CPU by shifting over the DIMM slots. It's not as though the IOboard is all that radically designed apart from being turned into a triangle law prism... And the cooling system is simplicity at its best. It's not revolutionary. It's common sense. Concentrate the airflow where the heat is most concentrated, and give the air no room to go elsewhere. That's not exactly brilliant.

Whatever you say bro, whatever you say...

Least interesting news EVAR

Which explains why you though you had to come here and notify everyone of that...can you not think without typing or something?

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Whatever you say bro, whatever you say...

Which explains why you though you had to come here and notify everyone of that...can you not think without typing or something?

Okay, then why is it revolutionary?

Okay, then why is it revolutionary?

Frankly at this point if you can't see for yourself why it is then nothing I can say will convince you.

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

2rh8dbo.jpg

Any body remembers this from gta sa? It's called Yosemite in that game.

I think I have found apples roots of inspiration :D

I still wish they had named it OS X Weed...

weed4.jpg

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Frankly at this point if you can't see for yourself why it is then nothing I can say will convince you.

I'm a balanced academic. If you produce proof or a well-reasoned opinion, I'll evaluate it on its merits.

I still wish they had named it OS X Weed...

That would be dope

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

I'm a balanced academic. If you produce proof or a well-reasoned opinion, I'll evaluate it on its merits.

The problem I have with your argument here is you basically say "Look! It's easy! All you have to is x, y, and z!" when you don't realize that x, y, and z are all individual challenges themselves that aren't faced when we build computers or when an OEM like Dell, HP, or Acer builds a computer. Looking back on it now you can say "Wow! That's so logical and easy! Why didn't anyone else think of that?" And the answer to that question, is, of course, that it's not an easy thing to do.

All Apple products are like that. In hindsight they look incredibly simple and logically thought out but that's the point. Creating a product that is so logical it confounds the intellect to question why it hasn't been done before is their thing. Blackberry thought the iPhone couldn't possibly have good battery life in a form factor like that. Well, turns out the iPhone is a tiny computer on a strip of PCB with a massive battery taking up 80-90% of the internal space. Yes, it looks logical. But even today, most manufacturers still stack their PCBs inside their phones as it's always been done.

Just like most PC manufacturers will not switch to manufacturing computers like the Mac Pro. Because it's not easy. It may have a simple design but I can assure you from inception to design and engineering to production there were several billion dollars spent in R&D and retooling of their machines to churn out devices such as the Mac Pro. There are almost no stock parts in the Mac Pro. And that's what makes it hard.

PC OEMs these days don't want to innovate in the desktop space. It's been a stagnant market for a long time now because everyone (including all of us) is used to just dropping processors into sockets and snapping graphics cards into PCIe slots that we couldn't see farther than that. 

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

5k in a super thin computer.

The e-peen grows.

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III