Apple's new marketing tactic

Has anyone else noticed that Apple has been trying to market their iMacs and Macbook Pros as gaming machines? If you look at any of the product pages for the two systems on their website, you will notice that Apple is bragging about their systems saying that you will enjoy games at stunning resolutions and "smooth framerates" (not that you could drive games at those resolutions on GTX m cards, but hey, ignore that) They also like to point out that you can choose from numerous (~0) popular games from the Apple Store and can play with friends on the totally popular My Space of gaming communities, Gamecenter! Seriously I don't even know why they would even try. I mean, they don't even mention Steam. I mean really?

I'm not even joking; here are the links to the product pages:

iMac - http://www.apple.com/imac/performance/

Macbook Pro - http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/performance-retina/

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

you can play cod 4 at minimum details at 40fps  lol

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

also if you find anyone with this handle in games its most likely me so say hi

Well if there would be more games available for OSX then that MacBook Air would be quite a good option for (light) gaming on the go. But those iMacs really aren't good for gaming at all, unless you want to melt it or make toast on the back of it

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Has anyone else noticed that Apple has been trying to market their iMacs and Macbook Pros as gaming machines? If you look at any of the product pages for the two systems on their website, you will notice that Apple is bragging about their systems saying that you will enjoy games at stunning resolutions and "smooth framerates" (not that you could drive games at those resolutions on GTX m cards, but hey, ignore that) They also like to point out that you can choose from numerous (~0) popular games from the Apple Store and can play with friends on the totally popular My Space of gaming communities, Gamecenter! Seriously I don't even know why they would even try. I mean, they don't even mention Steam. I mean really?

I'm not even joking; here are the links to the product pages:

iMac - http://www.apple.com/imac/performance/

Macbook Pro - http://www.apple.com/macbook-pro/performance-retina/

They did clearly say App Store games. 

And with all the games available on the Mac App Store, you’ll have no trouble finding something to play.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you're posting news, atleast don't mock them.

@JEman99 Don't post nonsense.

its not i had a mac and thats what i did so maybe learn what your talking about @Wano1997 and it was the new retina as a gift from parents

Please follow your topics guys, it's very important! CoC F.A.Q  Please use the corresponding PC part picker link for your country USA, UK, Canada, AustraliaSpain, Italy, New Zealand and Germany

They did clearly say App Store games. 

And what games are those? Doubt I can open their app store to look through since I'm on windows.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Well if there would be more games available for OSX then that MacBook Air would be quite a good option for (light) gaming on the go. But those iMacs really aren't good for gaming at all, unless you want to melt it or make toast on the back of it

"Melt it"  :rolleyes:

@JEman99 ; so did i. Atleast post detailed info such as on what resolution when making those assumptions

And what games are those? Doubt I can open their app store to look through since I'm on windows.

they added borderlands

Like mini-game type games...similar to the style of games on iPhones/Android. 

Edit: just noticed there are some actual games...Metal Gear Rising Reveneance and COD 4...so 

http://i.imgur.com/yq8Nxcm.jpg

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Like mini-game type games...similar to the style of games on iPhones/Android. 

So..... nothing major, most likely nothing in my steam library? (which is small mind you)

Well, I kinda was able to Max out CSGO and TF2 (two very popular games) on mine, at uber 2880x1800 so....

Kinda not wrong?

Nvidia equipped Macs aren't slouches in gaming, even under boot camp.

If you're gonna post news, do a better job, and don't post false information.

Why would Apple mention Steam in their marketing? Does Microsoft mention Steam in theirs?

"Melt it"  :rolleyes:

@JEman99 ; so did i. Atleast post detailed info such as on what resolution when making those assumptions

What? Do you agree/disagree? What are you trying to say?

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

So..... nothing major, most likely nothing in my steam library? (which is small mind you)

Edit: just noticed there are some actual games...Metal Gear Rising Reveneance and COD 4...so 

But anyway, most of the games are mini-game type games -- certainly nothing you'd find on steam (excluding a handful of games).

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

What? Do you agree/disagree? What are you trying to say?

I'm disagreeing, obviously. Stop acting like anything will actually melt, unless this was sarcasm

1. I'm pretty sure this isn't news, you just noticed it and wanted to mock it.

2. They don't refer to them as gaming machines. They're trying to show their new models are better than their previous ones.

3. They mention it's for their proprietary store games. aka games made specifically for apple computers.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

But anyway, most of the games are mini-game type games -- certainly nothing you'd find on steam; but there certainly are a handful of actual games. 

I saw a kim kardashian game, not going to look any further than that lol.

I'll stick with the platform with more gaming options, performance aside.

I saw a kim kardashian game, not going to look any further than that lol.

I'll stick with the platform with more gaming options, performance aside.

My point is Apple isn't claiming to be selling a powerful gaming machine for AAA titles, but rather for games that are available within their own ecosystem (app store)-- which they are plenty powerful for. (At least as far as I'm concerned)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I'm disagreeing, obviously. Stop acting like anything will actually melt, unless this was sarcasm

I was joking, the melting point of those aluminium shels is above 1000C, your pc will stop before it hits even 100....

It is called a hyperbole. What I was trying to say was that iMacs are known to have quite poor cooling, and a prolonged gaming session will make it rather hot, which ofc isn't too good for your parts and make it throttle, so you will have a worse frame rate. 

Main rig:

Other devices

Surface RT

Server:

My point is Apple isn't claiming to be selling a powerful gaming machine for AAA titles, but rather for games that are available within their own ecosystem (app store)-- which they are plenty powerful for. 

Fair enough, people like me and the OP are still going to see that as more of a downside than anything, if they got steam and had more triple A titles, then they'd be a competitor (also if they offered a price/performance advantage)

I was joking, the melting point of those aluminium shels is above 1000C, your pc will stop before it hits even 100....

It is called a hyperbole. What I was trying to say was that iMacs are known to have quite poor cooling, and a prolonged gaming session will make it rather hot, which ofc isn't too good for your parts and make it throttle, so you will have a worse frame rate. 

My CPU reached around 100 back when I owned a MBP, unless that was a terrible temp monitoring software. I barely could find any anyways.

Everything aside, I'd prefer mac over a PC anyday if it wasn't for gaming

Fair enough, people like me and the OP are still going to see that as more of a downside than anything, if they got steam and had more triple A titles, then they'd be a competitor (also if they offered a price/performance advantage)

Steam is supported on OSX as are lots of games; and a lot of the non-supported games wouldn't run particularly well anyway. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler