G-Sync has a big flaw that nobody is talking about

Sexy Vanilla Freshness

I just watched the PCPer interview with Tom Petersen of nVidia, towards the end of it Ryan (who asks good questions a lot of the time) asked about how vsync and gsync behave in comparison to one another when the in game framerate matches or exceeds the monitor's maximum refresh rate.

Let's take 60hz, if you use just vsync as is possible right now, there is a lot of added input lag or I/O latency however you wish to describe it, this latency is present all time due to the buffering of frames that is taking place.

Now, with G-Sync, vsync is actually switched off in game while using it, but when the game is pegging your monitor's refresh rate (for instance 60hz) that same buffering that we currently see with vsync is going to occur, and that latency will always be present just like with v-sync which we all hate.

So the situation is this, if you buy a 60hz gsync monitor and run it with a card capable of maintaining 60fps or higher during your gaming experience, you will be permanently stuck with the horrible latency just like you would be with vsync, the same will be applied at 120hz but obviously the latency will be cut in half as a frame is displayed for half the time.

This is a potential deal breaker and a game changer for me pending further information, I'm not going to invest in this technology given this fact, if I had a card that can peg my monitor's refresh rate at all times and just use vsync, this would result in an identical experience and it was objectively stated to be the case in this video, I have timestamped the link please view it if you wish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=cr-GToUHino#t=6106

how is this news? that was always expected, since this only alters Vsync at <monitor refresh rate... 

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

how is this news? that was always expected, since this only alters Vsync at <monitor refresh rate... 

Expected by people with intricate knowledge of the technology, not necessarily all of the marketed demographic.

You think it's a flaw because you're not using the monitor right. Turn the settings up to use G-sync and not have the lag.

that is if youre running less than the max refresh rate. otherwise, you will just get that small amount of lag (1/60th of a second max) between input and display. not something to be worried about, op is just exagarating his problem

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

You think it's a flaw because you're not using the monitor right. Turn the settings up to use G-sync and not have the lag.

Do you realize how crazily apologist that sounded.

Do you realize how crazily apologist that sounded.

Do you realize how smart it sounds to use something as intended? Oh my god it just makes sense.

that is if youre running less than the max refresh rate. otherwise, you will just get that small amount of lag (1/60th of a second max) between input and display. not something to be worried about, op is just exagarating his problem

Plus I think every g-sync monitor so far is 120/144 Hz.

Expected by people with intricate knowledge of the technology, not necessarily all of the marketed demographic.

it was advertised to fix vsync at lower framerates. thats all it is. 

Plus I think every g-sync monitor so far is 120/144 Hz.

yes it is

It can be 3 whole frames, it feels nasty with vsync and people avoid it in droves because of it even with 120hz panels, and you are saying I'm exaggerating.

I'm pretty sure you can remove the frame limit associated with v-sync without tearing, wouldn't this work for g-sync as well and eliminate the lag?

running on 144Hz monitors with one of the fastest TN panels on the consumer market i was never interested in most of these thing, my monitors tends to refresh the screen so fast that i most of the time dont really notice screen tearing unless it gets really bad in normal gaming, i mean if you try to see it and pan around quickly to see it sure, but not in battle where i focus on other things

Proud Member of the Glorious PC Master Race

It can be 3 whole frames, it feels nasty with vsync and people avoid it in droves because of it, and you are saying I'm exaggerating.

no it cant be. where are you getting your facts from. it can be at max one frame and even that only when you input at the start of a frame, when you are already running max Hz. you either dont understand the tech, or you had a serious misthought about what it represents, because this is as natural as it was with vsync.

Because running a game between 100 and 144 is sooooo bad with higher details.

its impossible :o #1stworldproblems

no it cant be. where are you getting your facts from. it can be at max one frame and even that only when you input at the start of a frame, when you are already running max Hz. you either dont understand the tech, or you had a serious misthought about what it represents, because this is as natural as it was with vsync.

Where does the lag come from then?

Where does the lag come from then?

from the fact that you input a movement/reload/whatever and its only displayed on screen the next time it is refreshed. so its always at max 1 frame. but with vsync you had the option of it being >1 frame when you were running at 30fps (2 frames max), 20fps(3 frames max) 15(4 frames) 10(6 frames)...

Hence why I plan on buying a 144Hz GSync screen and never owning a machine powerful enough to breach that.

Everything will be played on Max settings and it looks like everything will be capped at 30fps and recommended to run at 792/900p so we should be fine.....

from the fact that you input a movement/reload/whatever and its only displayed on screen the next time it is refreshed. so its always at max 1 frame. but with vsync you had the option of it being >1 frame when you were running at 30fps (2 frames max), 20fps(3 frames max) 15(4 frames) 10(6 frames)...

So you'd be cool with playing a game on a monitor that became less responsive every time the refresh rate peaked?

I use a controller so I don't feel any lag but I can see this being a problem for people that use a mouse I hate using vsync with a mouse although if I turn my mouse dpi (cpi) up its not as noticeable.

Explain to me the problem?

you adjust your settings to target the average framerate at below the max refresh rate of the monitor, but there will be times when it reaches and exceeds it, and during those times the lag will manifest and the the responsiveness of the experience changes.

Locking the framerate is point defeatist.

you adjust your settings to target the average framerate at below the max refresh rate of the monitor, but there will be times when it reaches and exceeds it, and during those times the lag will manifest and the the responsiveness of the experience changes.

Locking the framerate is point defeatist.

At a 120 or 144 Hz the amount of stutter is negligible.