Taiwan 6.5 Magnitude Earthquake. Very Exciting...

LinusTech

i actually live in Taipei 

had been through countless earthquakes and typhoons so i'm kinda used to it :P  

PoWerUNlimited (Game/Video Editing)

←←←←←←←→→→→→→→

CPU: i7-4770K OC @4.5GHz  (Noctua NHD-14)

MB: ASUS Z87-pro

Memory: Kingston HyperX-1600 8Gx2

Video Card: MSI GTX780 3GD5(stock cooler)

Power: Seasonic SSR-650RM

HD: plextor m5s 256g + seagate barcudda 2Tb

BD : Asus BC-12B1ST/B

Case: NZXT Phantom 310 (white/blue) 

Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 (DK9008S2) Cherry MX White/White BL

Mouse: SteelSeries KANA (White)

←←←←←←←→→→→→→→

We had a 4.6 near Montreal last October and it felt like a truck hit our house. I ran outside expecting to find a drunk driver in our yard  :wacko:

Never experienced an earthquake, but tornadoes are quite common down here in Tennessee. I usually sleep through them since the power often goes out.

I was living 20 miles from Nisene Marks State Park, the epicenter of the 1989 Loma Prieta earthquake.  I was watching the World Series when our entire house started shaking.  No doubt it's one of the events in my life that made me want to become a geologist, haha.  Nowadays, I barely deter from my normal routine for anything under a 4.0.

But even with dampening technology and earthquake building codes, being in a tall building during a big earthquake would probably get my heart racing!

CPU: Intel i7 7700K · MoBo: Asus Maximus Hero IX · RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (2x8GB 2400MHz CL10) · GPU: EVGA SC+ GTX 980Ti (6 GB)
Case: Fractal Define R5, Black, Windowed · AMC: Corsair H90 with NF-A14 PWM (Pull)  · PSU Corsair HX 750W · SSD: 500GB Samsung 840 EVO
HDDs: WD Black 2TB and 2x Red 5TB · OS: Windows 10 · KB: Logitech 710+ · Mouse: Logitech G700S 
· Monitor: Acer XB270HU

Norway is pretty boring when it comes to these things. The worst you could expect to see in your life time here is a snow avalanche or two.

once, i remember a bucket fell over by the wind :O *high five for norway*

Minor earthquake near Canberra last year (3.7). More like a little tremble. But it did lead to this fantastic image: Canberra+Earthquake.JPG

seems legit

• 2 weeks later...

seems legit

That pic has been circulating since the Christchurch earthquake in NZ.

I'm in Wellington, NZ - we just had a 6.5 @ 17km.

Source: 1. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8945358/Big-quake-shakes-central-New-Zealand

2. I was there/here :)

Gigabyte GA-78LMT-S2P - AMD (ftw!) Athlon II X2 260 3.2GHz - 8GB DDR3 RAM 2066MHz - Gigabyte HD4770 1GB - Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD - RAIDMAX (op) 500W PSU

There was little tremble around the lakes region in New Hampshire that could be felt from around the state line with Massachusetts. Some bad lightning storms, one lately was very close and the thunder shook my whole house.post-29406-0-42277900-1374720509.jpg

post-29406-0-42277900-1374720509.jpg

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

There was a 6.2 in slo county, california in 2004 it knocked down a clocktower all the sewage lines downtown had to be ripped out and fixed. We had 2 classic cars up on jack stands in our garage at the time knocked a ladder on to one of them. 

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster

That pic has been circulating since the Christchurch earthquake in NZ.

I'm in Wellington, NZ - we just had a 6.5 @ 17km.

Source: 1. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/8945358/Big-quake-shakes-central-New-Zealand

2. I was there/here :)

We got hit by that too, I live near palmerston north, our hanging lgihts were swinging so much they almost hit the roof & it was hard to keep balance. So fun.

A couple of cyclones and earthquakes back in Taipei, and a ton of hurricanes and one tornado where I live now in Texas. It seems like environmental disasters follow me.

That's my question though.

For countries that don't have them (like, at all), how would the people there react if a Tornado hit? Or "insert natural disaster here"?

I can only imagine the reactions in Japan to a tornado. :| I assume they don't have them. Typhoons are like massive tornadoes.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

That's my question though.

For countries that don't have them (like, at all), how would the people there react if a Tornado hit? Or "insert natural disaster here"?

I can only imagine the reactions in Japan to a tornado. :| I assume they don't have them. Typhoons are like massive tornadoes.

Typhoons are not like massive tornadoes at all.

Tornadoes are really rare, its just that American geography is especially good for breeding tornadoes. Many countries will never worry about tornadoes, at least not the huge town killers we have in America. When I'm in Taipei, I don't worry about tornadoes, just as I never worry about earthquakes in Texas.

wild fire here in Austin, it was rather disastrous and wasn't as exciting as an earthquake, as you couldn't even go outside because of the smoke, and left a nature park half burnt

Typhoons are not like massive tornadoes at all.

Tornadoes are really rare, its just that American geography is especially good for breeding tornadoes. Many countries will never worry about tornadoes, at least not the huge town killers we have in America. When I'm in Taipei, I don't worry about tornadoes, just as I never worry about earthquakes in Texas.

... Kinda, they are. 

Large vortex of high speed wind? Add in rain and magnify by 1000x and it's a typhoon or hurricane.

As for that, I meant "how would the people there react to one?" and not "How do they prepare for one?" Two very different things.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

... Kinda, they are. 

Large vortex of high speed wind? Add in rain and magnify by 1000x and it's a typhoon or hurricane.

As for that, I meant "how would the people there react to one?" and not "How do they prepare for one?" Two very different things.

They're totally different. If you multiplied a tornado (which already has rain, sleet or hail) by 1000x, you'd take out a state.

That's the thing, however. We'd never expect it. Even if there was one, it wouldn't be a tremendous one like the ones you see in North America. The reaction would probably something akin to disbelief then panic.

They're totally different. If you multiplied a tornado (which already has rain, sleet or hail) by 1000x, you'd take out a state.

Sleet, rain, or hail aren't necessary for a tornado. Some tornadoes have them, but some do not. 

*looks at New Orleans* ... Close enough. And that was just an exaggeration. :| In terms of area, that's probably accurate.

That's the thing, however. We'd never expect it. Even if there was one, it wouldn't be a tremendous one like the ones you see in North America. The reaction would probably something akin to disbelief then panic.

Again, not what I'm talking about at all. 

My question is: "How would people from places where tornadoes don't happen react to one?" Irrelevant of "what's possible" in their country. It's a hypothetical. :|

† Christian Member †

Sleet, rain, or hail aren't necessary for a tornado. Some tornadoes have them, but some do not. 

*looks at New Orleans* ... Close enough. And that was just an exaggeration. :| In terms of area, that's probably accurate.

Again, not what I'm talking about at all. 

My question is: "How would people from places where tornadoes don't happen react to one?" Irrelevant of "what's possible" in their country. It's a hypothetical. :|

The reaction would probably something akin to disbelief then panic.

Bagyong Ondoy or more commonly known internationally, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon_Ketsana'>Typhoon Ketsana.

That thing decimated my living room. Luckily, my house was juuust a bit elevated that the flood was only chest-deep inside. But out the door, it was neck-deep. On the street, it was around 6 feet, and in my neighboring subdivision, it reached the second floor.

First thing I ran for when the flood was knee-deep was my laptop. Then food. Then documents. 

Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Naga 2012 - Naga - Tiamat 2.2 - Electra - Nostromo - Manticor - Scarab - Mouse Bungee - Hoodie - Messenger Bag - Keyboard Bag - L33T Pack - Synapse - Comms - Game Booster 

Bagyong Ondoy or more commonly known internationally, Typhoon Ketsana.

That thing decimated my living room. Luckily, my house was juuust a bit elevated that the flood was only chest-deep inside. But out the door, it was neck-deep. On the street, it was around 6 feet, and in my neighboring subdivision, it reached the second floor.

First thing I ran for when the flood was knee-deep was my laptop. Then food. Then documents. 

Whoa.

The worst I've had was maybe a foot max flood while I was in Taipei. The basement wasn't a pretty sight, tho.

probably when a tree outside snapped and hit the floor really loud causing me to drop my bowl of cereal and having it fall on my UPS.

The Syndicate

Live in Indonesia. Was experiencing the 9.1 before the tsunami goes off in Aceh (2004), it was really crazy, but thank god I'm still alive and my belongings are all just fine.

Whoa.

The worst I've had was maybe a foot max flood while I was in Taipei. The basement wasn't a pretty sight, tho.

Can't imagine having a basement when that happened. Must've taken you days to clean it.

Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 - Naga 2012 - Naga - Tiamat 2.2 - Electra - Nostromo - Manticor - Scarab - Mouse Bungee - Hoodie - Messenger Bag - Keyboard Bag - L33T Pack - Synapse - Comms - Game Booster 

• 8 months later...

Dad and I was driving back home and then suddenly everybody started to stop and get out. When I looked out a big*** sandstorm was heading towards us. It looked pretty cool too kinda like a tsunami made out of sand. It's the first image result when you type Kuwait Sandstorm

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

• 2 weeks later...

I was in the NYC earthquake a few years ago but sadly I was in the basement so I didn't get to cash in on the earthquake experience.

I was involved in Sandy and Irene, hard to believe it's been a year already.