Best, not too overpriced CPU cooler, fan and thermal paste

Hi guys I need help deciding a heat-sink for a 4790k on a Asus Z97 Pro WiFi AC (I have the CM 212X in my list)

I want the cooler to deliver great performance, have a small profile that will not interfere with RAM and mid standing RAM heat-sinks, Be good quality that lasts long, not be too expensive and be able to handle MILD overclocking on the 4790k if I decide to do it in the future.

Also please recommend me some good NON-CONDUCTIVE thermal paste and a good fan to put on the heat sink.

(I'm not looking into water-cooling)

Thanks!

Thermal paste isn't my expertise(especially conductive vs non conductive) but cheap decent coolers I always just suggest Cooler Master Hyper 212 or Cooler Master Seidon 120(AIO and you said you didn't want watercooling) maybe: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/199523-noctua-nh-l12/ isn't a bad idea but pricings a bit higher... 

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

What's your budget? Not too overpriced could mean £100... or it could mean £20

"Lenghts of Snakes Match Each Silent Syllable" (PTM)

Personal Build #1 Intel i7 4790K ||Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1 || Corsair H100i || 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz || Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 || 1000W EVGA PSU || Corsair Obsidian 450D  || Death Adder 2013 K70 *MX Brown*

Client Build #1 AMD FX 6300 || ASUS m5a99x EVO R2.0 || Hyper 212 Evo || 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600mhz || MSI R9 280 Direct CU II || Corsair 500W || BitFenix Neos White 

What's your budget? Not too overpriced could mean £100... or it could mean £20

My budget is $100 AUD

Sorry I didn't put that

I meant by budget as in not too over the top for a CPU cooler

My budget is $100 AUD

Sorry I didn't put that

I meant by budget as in not too over the top for a CPU cooler

Air: Noctua NH-D15

Liquid: Corsair H100i

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

For that CPU I think you'd do good with a single all-in-one liquid cooler instead of the air-type coolers.

Maybe this H75 from Corsair, it fits your budget too. You could push your budget a bit to get the H80i - it has a thicker radiator.

You don't need to have a dual 120/140 radiator to cool that and this will do better than most, if not all, air-type coolers.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

For that CPU I think you'd do good with a single all-in-one liquid cooler instead of the air-type coolers.

Maybe this H75 from Corsair, it fits your budget too. You could push your budget a bit to get the H80i - it has a thicker radiator.

You don't need to have a dual 120/140 radiator to cool that and this will do better than most, if not all, air-type coolers.

I'm scared of water cooling, I know it offers awesome performance and the chance of leaks is very low BUT I am scared as hell if I one day look thru the side window on my case and see water all over my 970...

Thanks guys for the options you gave me, il look into reviews for all the coolers and il decide which one is right for me :)

I'm scared of water cooling, I know it offers awesome performance and the chance of leaks is very low BUT I am scared as hell if I one day look thru the side window on my case and see water all over my 970...

Well that sure is a possibility, a very remote one albeit.

But I'm no therapist so I can't help you with those liquid cooling fears.

Noctua and Be Quiet have outstanding products. NH-D15 and Dark Rock Pro 3, you should check the reviews.

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

Depending on your price range I would recommend the cryorig r1 universal, which performs very well and it has unlimited ram clearance even though it is a dual tower heat sink. I much less pricy option would be the upcoming cryorig h5.

Depending on your price range I would recommend the cryorig r1 universal, which performs very well and it has unlimited ram clearance even though it is a dual tower heat sink. I much less pricy option would be the upcoming cryorig h5.

Thanks! il look into it.

I think you should get a NH-U14s as it performs amazingly for a single tower cooler (very close to a h100)

It's single tower so you can get any ram you want.

It is worlds quieter than any AIO on the market.

Comes with NT-H1 thermal comp which is some of the best stuff around.

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

I think you should get a NH-U14s as it performs amazingly for a single tower cooler (very close to a h100)

It's single tower so you can get any ram you want.

It is worlds quieter than any AIO on the market.

Comes with NT-H1 thermal comp which is some of the best stuff around.

Yeah thanks I looked into that cooler a bit 

:D

I might get it

Yeah thanks I looked into that cooler a bit

:D

I might get it

Yeah it's definatly my faviourate upgrade ever

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

Fan:

aerocool DS fans or AP123

Cooler: Some noctua thing and replace the noctuas with obove fans

Paste: The stuff that comes with the noctua cooler

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Doesn't the NH-D14 allow more clearance for ram and have close enough performance to the NH-D15?

I would go hyper 212 evo. I have one on my 3570k and it is really nice.

I'm pretty sure the NH-D14 is on sale right now, but I'm not sure if it is for Australia.

Doesn't the NH-D14 allow more clearance for ram and have close enough performance to the NH-D15?

I thought it was the NH-D15 that had more ram clearence... Didn't they build it especially for that?

The NH-D14 has 44mm of ram clearance while the NH-D15 has 32mm in a dual fan setup. Of course you can move the fan up a bit but the entire cooler is 165mm tall so you may run into issues with space in your case. If you only use 1 fan on the D15 you have 64mm of ram clearance but then you are only using 1 fan. If you have a large enough case the NH-D15 would be better otherwise I would just go with the NH-D14.

for $100 bucks you can buy any cpu cooler that I am aware of, the most expensive Noctua cooler is only like $79

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs