Would you stop pirating if content did not cost too much?

Ethnod

I don't pirate games, I have enough in my Steam library to keep me occupied. I pirate some music because it's convenient but also have one of the biggest music collections (as in CDs) around here, often I will pirate, listen and then go find the CD in a store. Since Netflix I haven't pirated a single movie, always stuff to watch. I HAVE pirated Adobe Master Collection but have since purchased a legal copy (Worth it? Probably not, but it feels good to finally own it). To be honest, except for with the Adobe software my piracy have never been because of a lack of money, but because obtaining the content in a legal manner was not convenient. Services like Steam, Netflix and Spotify have changed that though.

pirates is one of the biggest reasons the games cost a tonne anyway! if everyone bought it legally it would be massively cheaper, as the game devs would not have to cover the lost income from pirated games.

Really dont see the big deal i do it all the time.

Its kind of stupid in so many ways its just easier. Also some shows i cant watch unless i download them.

My Build  CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955@4.1@Ghz Mobo: Asus M5A99x Evo R2.0 GPU: Asus 7870T @1.25GHz Core 5.5GHz Mem Ram: Kingston HyperX@ 1600 9-9-9-24 CPU Cooler: H80 Push/Pull Noctua NF-P12  SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 PRO HDD: Mix of drives which add up to 5.6TB SoundCard: Asus xonar DGX PSU: Corsair HX650 + alchemy cables Case: R3 with the rest of the fans being fractel fans.

Im A Snake.....

Piracy isn't always a bad thing. We use piracy to demo games before we buy and with good reason. Crysis and GTA4 with massive piracy rates and less-than-average sales? Why do you think? because people tried them out, realised they were badly optimized and thus did not feel it was worth the money. 1 for piracy, 0 for sales (which is where a large amount of big game publishers (EA/Ubisoft) evidently receive their data).

And with that being said:

b_CTTqo_Q.gif

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4690k @4.2Ghz w/ Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti | Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 | PSU: Seasonic G750 80+ Gold | Storage: Samsung 840 250GB, Sandisk Ultra II 960gb, WD Green 4TB, Samsung EcoGreen 2TB

Spoiler

CPU: i5 4670k @4 Ghz w/ Corsair H80i | Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Impact | RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro Series 8GB | GPU: Palit 1080Ti

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy | PSU: Corsair CXM 600W PSU 80+ Bronze | Storage: Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD

I think its good if your like me to try before you buy. But you say illegal downloading, its only given that tag coz they carnt controll it and make money from it.

It's called illegal downloading because it's illegal, not because they can't control it. 

Piracy isn't always a bad thing. We use piracy to demo games before we buy and with good reason. Crysis and GTA4 with massive piracy rates and less-than-average sales? Why do you think? because people tried them out, realised they were badly optimized and thus did not feel it was worth the money. 1 for piracy, 0 for sales (which is where a large amount of big game publishers (EA/Ubisoft) evidently receive their data).

And with that being said:

b_CTTqo_Q.gif

There is no good reason to pirate things, demo before you buy is not an excuse. You can't try out an external hard drive, or a graphics card before you buy it, so you read reviews and watch youtube videos about it. Do the same with games. People say they use piracy to demo games but whenever you press them about the games still on their computer, a third of them are games that they "demoed" and never bought or deleted. 

pirates is one of the biggest reasons the games cost a tonne anyway! if everyone bought it legally it would be massively cheaper, as the game devs would not have to cover the lost income from pirated games.

Actually games have gotten cheaper since pirating came about. I remember buying AoE3 for $100 when it first came out. Devs would just get even more money if they're was no pirating.

There is no good reason to pirate things, demo before you buy is not an excuse. You can't try out an external hard drive, or a graphics card before you buy it, so you read reviews and watch youtube videos about it. Do the same with games. People say they use piracy to demo games but whenever you press them about the games still on their computer, a third of them are games that they "demoed" and never bought or deleted. 

I've bought practically the entire total war series, Ruse, SoaSE and Metro 2033 after pirating them to try them out and right now I'm waiting for Civ 5 to come back on sale after I tried it and liked it.

And I see no problem with pirating tv shows (i.e. Game of Thrones) that don't release content to the world at relatively the same time.

Murphy's Law: "Anything that can go wrong, will go wrong"

i pirated cube world.. but im buying it as soon at their servers are letting me do it :P my question is, does that count?

I strongly disapprove of Pirating unless you buy it soon after (I don't pirate anyway, but when people do it as a demo and a demo isn't available online I understand why.) 

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

I HATE IT WHEN MY BROTHER DOWNLOADS TORRENTS, I CANT PLAY GAMES WIHTOUT 600 ping

i trolled my brother when i got my new pc in kinda the same way.. i downloaded all my steam games at the same time :P (around 250 games) it took long time to set them all to download but i was worth it, mabye not exactly at the same time but all of them rapidly as many at the time as possible :P 

what i do is pirate a game and if i like it i buy it if i hate it i delete it and to be honest i don't really think what i do is really that bad also i live in Ireland and there is no law to stop you from pirating games/music/films so it kinda means its legal

what i do is pirate a game and if i like it i buy it if i hate it i delete it and to be honest i don't really think what i do is really that bad also i live in Ireland and there is no law to stop you from pirating games/music/films so it kinda means its 

it may not be legal but is isnt nice :P kinda wish it was the same ules here *(norway)

i voted $** or higer on evrything because unlimited is freaking a lot of content and they need money to make the content :P

i pirate alot of pirates

[spoiler= Dream machine (There is also a buildlog)]

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

okay i dont use to pirate

Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe - CPU: I7 5820k @4.4 ghz 1.225vcore - GPU: 2x Asus GTX 970 Strix edition - Mainboard: Asus X99-S - RAM: HyperX predator 4x4 2133 mhz - HDD: Seagate barracuda 2 TB 7200 rpm - SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB SSD - PSU: Corsair HX1000i - Case fans: 3x Noctua PPC 140mm - Radiator fans: 3x Noctua PPC 120 mm - CPU cooler: Fractal design Kelvin S36 together with Noctua PPCs - Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB Cherry gaming keyboard - mouse: Steelseries sensei raw - Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud Build Log

I don't pirate, I pay for the games I play, if I don't like it then i'll return it.

Simple as that.

( I'm mainly talking about games )

When you buy a game, not only are you buying the game itself but the right to play it. Which is the reason I buy every game I play. If there isn't a demo for me to try out then I just ask a friend how they liked the game and make a judgment out of that. Or I just go on YouTube and see game plays to see if I want to buy the game or not. 

A life lived for others is a life worth living 

-Albert E.

itbut i heppend a fue times....

Merged.

I don't understand why people call it pirating or piracy.

The fact is it's just plain theft. Stop using other words to make it sound better.

I buy what I play. It's as simple as that. I'm not into TV or movies and the way I look at it if a game costs say £30 and lasts me more than two hours (IE - longer than it took me to earn the money to pay for it) then I'm a happy bunny.

I don't think theft means what you think it means.

theft

noun: The action or crime of stealing: "he was convicted of theft"; "the latest theft happened at a garage".

Stealing

noun: Take (another person's property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it: "thieves stole her bicycle".

The creator does not lose property when someone downloads their product illegally, and it is therefore not theft or stealing.

By the way, piracy is the word used to make it more horrible than it is. 

Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”

More convenience would be a massive way to reduce piracy IMO. Then price.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I used to pirate all my xbox 360 games, now I'm on pc and steam is so cheap, I have no problem paying for games!

Really the reasons I pirate is because of media availability and I don't have enough money to listen to the music I like in high quality formats, also the music content stores I have in my area don't carry most of the music I like (couldn't even find the White Stripes' Elephant). Also in Canada (From the POV of a US/CAN citizen) doesn't have as many media streaming services as the states even though from where I moved I have better internet speeds here in Canada. The internet was created to share and interact if the copyright holders don't like it then why haven't they shut down the thousands of torrent sites? Ya I can get American Netfix and Spotify using a VPN or Proxy but for the hassle and money for me it's not worth it when I can go to kickass or pirate bay to get the whole season of a show without having to stream. I wished I lived in Seattle...............

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

In addition to my last post I would stop pirating content if individual types of content (Music,TV,Movies) costed as much as a TV subscription, but I know that won't happen because Comcast, Shaw, Telus,AT&T, etc. are GREEDY!

CPU: AMD 3600 GPU: ASUS DUAL OC RX 6750 XT MOBO: Asus Prime X570-P RAM: 16GB XPG Gammix D10 3000Mhz

PSU: Gamdias Kratos P1 650w 80+ Gold OS:Windows 10 pro Case: 4U Rackmount  HDD/SSD:Seagate 8 TB/ Patriot Scorch m.2 512GB

You can't spell ignorant without IGN...-TheSLSAMG

i pirate all the time mostly moives and games but only single player games as here in the uk games and moives are a rip off i also have sky tv in the uk witch cost over £100 a month to watch the same stuff over and over in the uk we also have to pay a tv licence on top of that witch is like another 150 a year atleast in the uk tv is a rip off and as for games fifa 13 is still over £40 atm witch is like 65 cad. if games were cheaper i would have no problem paying for them but they way it is atm it would cost me nealry half my wage to buy about 4 games a week. as for moives again last time i went to the cinema was to see hangover 3 witch cost me £9.20 just for the ticket NOT 3D because it was a popular moive normal prices are about £5-7

if the uk would stop ripping all of us off i would have no problem paying for games and moives.

another point we have a 20% vat in the uk so we pay even more than other countries.

rip me off i will contine to rip back :)