Should Linus monetize this site?

jd2195

I personally would not mind if it was monetized and there were a few ads at the side of the page. I feel that a few ads around the edges of topics would not ditract from the topic. The only problem I would have would be if they started to put ads underneath peoples posts like they do on toms hardware, that would really annoy me. What do you guys think, should Linus monetize the site to get a bit of extra money to help maintain the site?

My rig: i5 2500k, MSI Z77A G45, Gainward GTX 980 Phantom, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, OCZ ZT series 750W PSU, 1TB HDD, 800D, fully water cooled. I am currently working on modding my HAF 912+ to fit a custom loop, here is the build log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165963-project-viridis-water-cooled-haf-912/

Yea small related ad's would be fine but huge massive taking up the screen ad's about shampoo or something wouldn't be very nice.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Agreed, I think a little monetization would be nice for him and I don't really mind the ads until they start taking up the bulk of the screen.

Actually i think a 'ads-by-selection' basis can work out, for example, Linus comes to agreement with a corporation say Corsair/AMD/Intel/Nvidia/Whatever and is given several ads, related advertisements can be strategically placed in related topics via bindings to key words. For example, a topic titled with something like : Nvidia GTX 780 vs AMD HD 7970Ghz would come with advertisements showing related products like the 780,770,680,Titan/7970,7950,7870,7990. [Provided they don't take up a huge chunk of your screen]

This goes similar with other topics like Corsair 900D vs Silverstone TJ11 where advertisements like the Cosmos II/900D/Silverstone TJ11/NZXT H630 will pop up.

Not sure if this is even possible but i can see it working, helping Linus to earn extra revenue while making the forum more useful via the use of ads at the same time.

I personally would not mind if it was monetized and there were a few ads at the side of the page. I feel that a few ads around the edges of topics would not ditract from the topic. The only problem I would have would be if they started to put ads underneath peoples posts like they do on toms hardware, that would really annoy me. What do you guys think, should Linus monetize the site to get a bit of extra money to help maintain the site?

i agree

I'm not a native English speaker.
Excuse me for any possible grammar/spelling mistakes

I wouldn't mind, I think linus should ask their sponsors for banners and just add them to the top of the forum.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

Actually i think a 'ads-by-selection' basis can work out, for example, Linus comes to agreement with a corporation say Corsair/AMD/Intel/Nvidia/Whatever and is given several ads, related advertisements can be strategically placed in related topics via bindings to key words. For example, a topic titled with something like : Nvidia GTX 780 vs AMD HD 7970Ghz would come with advertisements showing related products like the 780,770,680,Titan/7970,7950,7870,7990. [Provided they don't take up a huge chunk of your screen]

This goes similar with other topics like Corsair 900D vs Silverstone TJ11 where advertisements like the Cosmos II/900D/Silverstone TJ11/NZXT H630 will pop up.

Not sure if this is even possible but i can see it working, helping Linus to earn extra revenue while making the forum more useful via the use of ads at the same time.

that's actually an amazing idea. would really make things seem personal in ways.

Agree with this. For once ads would actually be useful if they were like that :)

My rig: i5 2500k, MSI Z77A G45, Gainward GTX 980 Phantom, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, OCZ ZT series 750W PSU, 1TB HDD, 800D, fully water cooled. I am currently working on modding my HAF 912+ to fit a custom loop, here is the build log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/165963-project-viridis-water-cooled-haf-912/

Yeah, I think they should. I think it will be fine as long as it isn't covered with them.

I agree, nothing too obtrusive yet helps Linusmedia then im all for it!

3770K | GTX970 | 16GB DDR3 | Corsair RM750

I'm shocked they haven't monetized the site yet. They should at least be making a little money to offset the cost of running a server.

The right and left borders have nothing on them, i would not care if adverts were there and if they have volume then i would kill linus but other then that im fine with it.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Yeah ad's are fine as long as they DO NOT make sound, DO NOT flash bright colors and are not intruding into the functionality of the forum.

Spoiler

AMD R7 1800X, H100i GTX, AMD Radeon RED DEVIL 5700XT, ASUS STRIX B350-F GAMING, 16gb DDR4 3000, 1Tb, 2 X SEAGATE 1Tb, Coolermaster V1200 Platinum, NZXT H440 red/black, STEEL SERIES AEROX 3, DUCKY X POWER COLOR RED DEVIL KEYBOARD, Microsoft xbox 360 wired controller, LG ULTRAWIDE.

So long as it's not ads for things that don't interest me, i'd gladly turn off adblock on this site, like i have youtube

Spoiler
Spoiler

"You know I was taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all. You feeling me cocksucker?"

Spoiler

"Ethernet is internet juice. You have to press the internet really hard and you will get it."

Spoiler

"My quantum milk machine brings every boy to all the yards." non futuis et sursum

PC Specs! | I7-950 | 24GB RAM | 10TB Storage | GTX 970 Strix and a 560TI DCUII for Physx | 120GB 840 + 250GB 850 EVO | Asus xonar DGX

Please take a moment to look over the forum CoC here.

Some sock and sandals ads :D!!!

No, but seriously, I wouldn't mind some kind of banner on top of the site. Nothing too annoying (please no pop-ups :D) or things like that with related marketing for this target audience.

I would personally prefer he would.... well, as long as they are tech related.

3930k | RIVBE | 32GB Dominator Plat. | Titan XP | Intel 750 1.6TB | Mellanox 10Gb NIC | AX1200i 

Custom TJ07 | 2xD5 pumps | EK Supremacy EVO | EK Titan XP | EK RIVBE Block | Cu Tubing | 25x120mm Rad

Samsung U28D590D 4K | Leopold Otaku w/Browns | Corsair M65 | Corsair SP2500 | Sennheiser HD595

Isn't that some kind of bias making, so if you see a thread "gtx 780 vs 7970 Ghz" and one of them has a better add.... its just not ok.

AMD Radeon 7870 Gigabyte OC / Intel i5 3570k / ASrock Z77 Pro4 /Samsung 840 EVO 250GB / WD Blue 500GB 7200rpm / Kingston HyperX T1 2x4GB 1600mhz / SeaSonic 520w M12 / Thermaltake v4 Black

I personally would like to see ads especially if it was ment for the right target audience, ads like nvidia amd or something like that. Something we care about

I use adblock, but if these were the types of ads Linus would put on this website, I would easily disable adblock for this site.

I've seen some pretty cool Kingston ads for products I haven't seen before, therefore I click on them and see what it's about. Would love to see ads like this!

I use adblock, but if these were the types of ads Linus would put on this website, I would easily disable adblock for this site.

I've seen some pretty cool Kingston ads for products I haven't seen before, therefore I click on them and see what it's about. Would love to see ads like this!

I have it disabled for teksyndicate and linus(just if he decides to add ads). But any other websites i just have it on

Same. I disable adblocker on tech sites.

i would totally approve of ads on this site if the revenue was used for GIVEAWAYS!!!

it would not change the forum experience, while also giving back to the community = ]

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020