GTX 980/970 Pricing & Reviews

OlekKing

If AMD has to rely on water cooling their prices are going to go up. AIOs for GPUs are rare enough in the first place, and they're not easy to construct. Every card has different length and width too. It's going to be wildly expensive to make AIO coolers for anything apart from the flagships, or the AIOs will suck.

Frankly I'm shocked AMD hasn't gotten in bed with Swiftech or EKWB on such a project. Asetek isn't that great in the first place, and AMD touts quality of its products even when they're inferior (usually against Intel, whereas the GPU war is a cyclical affair).

It's only natural for prices and costs of products to go down in the future as they become more available; you see this happening when technology progresses and get's better. AIO's as a whole will go down which will allow them to construct them for the same amount of money it takes them to put R&D into a quality and effective air cooler. AIO watercooling is fairly simply, it doesn't take much effort to implement into existing GPU's. Just look at the NZXT Kraken G10 bracket. It costs literally $30. That's obviously not what it costs to manufacture. Add in a watercooler that is more than enough for a GPU like an H55 that's $60 again but that's not what it costs to manufacture. These prices in the next 10 years will drop greatly. You will be able to get better than H105 and H110 performance for $60 by then without a doubt. The AIO is going to evolve over the next 10 years (delivering custom loops temps). It's going to change the CPU and GPU industry. Watercooling a CPU or GPU means higher clock speeds, and lower heat. Doing it from the factory means being able to deliver a higher quality and better performing product. The only limiting factory with main computer components like CPU's and GPU's is heat. Air cooling is a very old method of addressing this problem. It can be remedied quite easily. I see in ten years without a doubt Air Cooling obsolete on the Desktop PC. By then I see companies that currently create performance Air Coolers, either jumping on the bandwagon with their own version or completely disappearing from the industry altogether.

Getting in bed with Swiftech or EK only delivers a product to a niche section of the industry. An effective AIO gives everyone access to the advantages of watercooling, not just niche enthusiasts. 

OMG!! A VR mode from nvidea!!!!! Woo, this means no need for a third party driver for games that dont support vr natively and I now have a reason to upgrade my cf 7870s.

I wonder if they're putting less CUDA cores in their consumer GPUs to make the Quadro/ Titan line more viable 

or if this is some kind of sick joke

This isn't less cuda cores!

GM204 replaces GK104 not GK110! And GK104 had 1536 cores, compared to GM204's 2048...

I wonder if they're putting less CUDA cores in their consumer GPUs to make the Quadro/ Titan line more viable

Another one who doesnt watch all wan shows and doesnt know that Titans and Quadros have professional use featers like "double precision" which makes 0 difference in gaming.

Hope now u know key difference between gaming and rendering cards :)

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

>Implying that Titan isn't consumer/"prosumer"

This isn't less cuda cores!

GM204 replaces GK104 not GK110! And GK104 had 1536 cores, compared to GM204's 2048...

It may be the Maxwell counterpart to GK104 but it is still meant to replace GK110.

The Maxwell counterpart of GK110 is probably planed for next year and probably with a bigger memory bus.

I really want to know the CUDA performance in rendering because if it performs worse I will buy a 780Ti or Titan instead. 

RTX2070OC 

...2 780 in SLI (not even the Ti...it's not worth it)...is more than enough power, I run Battlefield 4 with ultra settings no problem with one 780 (3G memory)...I'm adding another one...if I really wanna be cocky I can run a 3 card setup that can destroy anything you can throw at it. I've been around pc hardware for years...I've learned a few things along the way, I could have bought the 780Ti...but...like I've just mentioned...been around the block...I don't run around that block anymore!!!

...2 780 in SLI (not even the Ti...it's not worth it)...is more than enough power, I run Battlefield 4 with ultra settings no problem with one 780 (3G memory)...I'm adding another one...if I really wanna be cocky I can run a 3 card setup that can destroy anything you can throw at it. I've been around pc hardware for years...I've learned a few things along the way, I could have bought the 780Ti...but...like I've just mentioned...been around the block...I don't run around that block anymore!!!

Well I'm running the ROG swift at 1440p @ 144hz so I need all the performance I can get.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

That would be because Asetek now owns the patent for AIO solutions for GPU's.

PFFFT! It's not even an original concept. What patent lawyer was stupid enough to approve that? Once AIOs were made for CPUs, GPUs was a triviality in terms of innovation, even if the application is difficult.

It's only natural for prices and costs of products to go down in the future as they become more available; you see this happening when technology progresses and get's better. AIO's as a whole will go down which will allow them to construct them for the same amount of money it takes them to put R&D into a quality and effective air cooler. AIO watercooling is fairly simply, it doesn't take much effort to implement into existing GPU's. Just look at the NZXT Kraken G10 bracket. It costs literally $30. That's obviously not what it costs to manufacture. Add in a watercooler that is more than enough for a GPU like an H55 that's $60 again but that's not what it costs to manufacture. These prices in the next 10 years will drop greatly. You will be able to get better than H105 and H110 performance for $60 by then without a doubt. The AIO is going to evolve over the next 10 years (delivering custom loops temps). It's going to change the CPU and GPU industry. Watercooling a CPU or GPU means higher clock speeds, and lower heat. Doing it from the factory means being able to deliver a higher quality and better performing product. The only limiting factory with main computer components like CPU's and GPU's is heat. Air cooling is a very old method of addressing this problem. It can be remedied quite easily. I see in ten years without a doubt Air Cooling obsolete on the Desktop PC. By then I see companies that currently create performance Air Coolers, either jumping on the bandwagon with their own version or completely disappearing from the industry altogether.

Getting in bed with Swiftech or EK only delivers a product to a niche section of the industry. An effective AIO gives everyone access to the advantages of watercooling, not just niche enthusiasts.

How is it niche? Swiftech has fans of its own, and radiators. It could deliver a better version of the Asetek AIO easily in a closed system. EKWB would be more niche, but they could include Noctua or Nidec Servo (maker of the Scythe Gentle Typhoons of yore) and put together a full system.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

1 > SLI, if you can get equal output in regards to graphical settings and FPS.

I think at least, that's what Linus said at one point, that it's better to have a single more powerful card, or some such.

Wow really? Only games benchmarked aren't hard for any modern GPU over $200 to run. All GPU benchmarks need to pass the Crysis test.

I run my browser through NSA ports to make their illegal jobs easier. :P
If it's not broken, take it apart and fix it.
http://pcpartpicker.com/b/fGM8TW

Pricy!

GG Australia :|

i5 3570k @4.all over the place || CM Hyper TX3 Evo || ASRock Z77 professional-m || 8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 2400mhz CL10 || MSI GTX770 2GB OC'd 1280/3825mhz || ADATA SP900 128GB || Fractal Design Arc Mini R2 || Logitech G502 || Audio Technica ATH-M50

A spy is always better than a ninja!See burn notice. EVERYTHING is just a number!

Come to Europe, they switch $ to € and that's it...

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

OUCH!!! I can feel that nut kick from here.

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

EDIT: Wrong thread, pls ignore

༼ つ ◕_◕༽つ GIB 960 ༼ つ ◕_◕༽つ

approx. $465 US dollars for the 970 :S

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Yuck, hopefully when the early adopter tax wears off we will see some $425-$475 pricing on that 970

Jensen getting ready to announce something.....

Compared to first Gen Kepler -- 600 series

Maxwell is twice as efficient as Kepler

Third generation of Delta compression 

Memory interface bandwidth improved by 40% 

0uh6IqL.jpg

Each blade of grass is treated as a geometric object increasing life-likeness.

FOPg0Dx.jpg

Unified Solver -- forces particles to behave according to physics -- water/anything that flows/flexes. Can change how partciles with varying viscosities behave.

8troKdh.jpg

Goo Gun: 

6dcMRNr.jpg

Now 4k

PHdNYxJ.jpg

Dynamic Super Resolution -- Maxwell can render games in 4k and scale it back to 1080p

JsA22XI.jpg

1920x1080 vs. 4k scaled down to 1920x1080

aY3G3Vt.jpg

MFAA - Multi Frame Samepled AA

"4x MFAA has the quality of 4x MSAA and performance of 2xAA." -Jensen

36C6ghJ.jpg

No AA vs. 4xMSAA vs. 4x MFAA

ac4AIps.jpg

VR Direct

JmRYHEq.jpg

VR latency reduced

Asynchronous warp -- reduces latency even further

K7UhOu6.jpg

30-40ms response time -- "you're having a great time" anything higher and it sucks.

TYP8aak.jpg

With MFAA, response times are down to 36ms

Z6aURZj.jpg

Asynchronous Warp -- predicts where you're going to turn after rendering a frame -- brings response times down to 25ms.

KfyIRE4.jpg

"VR a really cool way to play games" - Jensen

"And the Best for last"

...so its not a 900 series announcement I guess. Okay then.

Global Illumination

NNSeT5s.jpg

^ Take 150 GPUs (500 Tera-flops) three seconds to render this image via IRay.

VXGI

"A giant step forward in global illumination" - Jensen

I'm seriously disappointed he phrased it that way... "One Giant leap for mankind (computer kind?)" would have been so much better.

4KmZcx3.jpg

A picture of an Astronaut stepping onto the moon....Is Jensen leading us somewhere.....

Iray vs. VXGI

jUVHH5F.jpg

vRsC0PT.jpg

VXGI indirect lighting

CPcCggf.jpg

VXGI indirect lighting + direct lighting vs. Iray

They look pretty similar, other than the color from the walls being "over transfered".

8D11v5v.jpg

jUVHH5F.jpg

Oh god... Jensen's going to prove the moon landing actually happened.

oLTA6QO.jpg

So, the LEM apparently wasn't designed by Apple -- no door handle on the outside.

"Come one, you thought that was a photograph?"

Well, no...its not quite that good...it still looks a bit off like most rendered images. (I'm pretending that the photo was taken with a high resolution modern day camera).

3D rotation of the LEM:

GwQlOqy.jpg

5Qa13nf.jpg

eKSE9ku.jpg

Direct Lighting

TehxhZl.jpg

Why is there a light behind him?

llTaPhI.jpg

The render doesn't appear to have that light

TzY8nAe.jpg

And Buzz appears to be too bright:

The initial generated image

WgkRlgO.jpg

With the reflectivity of Neil's suit factored in

ivbnPC5.jpg

"Photo" on the right, rendering on the left.

Q4G9N7M.jpg

bbKZoJN.jpg

The first flagship of Maxwell, GTX980:

Throw it! --All 13 pounds of it.

BjNxEvv.jpg

Maxwell

AKR9ycd.jpg

$549 USD

Obzqvng.jpg

GTX970 -- $329 USD

lwElesN.jpg

9000 Engineers and 3 years of work led to the 900 Series.

*insert ubiquitous montage*

Isn't she a beaut'

JlwbQok.jpg

//Will be updating constantly.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

umm ok then...

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Cool...

CPU: i9-13900k MOBO: Asus Strix Z790-E RAM: 64GB GSkill  CPU Cooler: Corsair H170i

GPU: Asus Strix RTX-4090 Case: Fractal Torrent PSU: Corsair HX-1000i Storage: 2TB Samsung 990 Pro

You're wrong.

Kepler is twice as inefficient as Maxwell.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020