I need a new "casual" game

exyia

I've been looking for a new...."casual"....game to sink into. I play a lot of BF4, Splinter Cell Blacklist, and some Skyrim. I enjoy them greatly.

but there are just times where I need a break and to wind down with something more light-hearted and less serious. I'm sure I'm not the only one

This used to be Dota 2. I used to enjoy logging in for a quick game or two of dota2 to wind down, but after coming back to it from over a year (I still follow the esports scene), the new (to me) match making system really has me stuck in hell. I just can't tolerate the idiots I'm stuck with and no matter what people say - I just can't get out of it (tanked from 3500MMR to 3000 and it's gotten absolutely terrible now). I still love the game and will follow the esports scene - but I can't resort to this as my "laid back" game anymore

Tried SimCity - first time in the series. it was moderately amusing at first learning the mechanics - but that quickly ended when I realized how bad the size limitations were. I tried to play around it and embrace the multi-city design of the game....but I can't. It's just broken and limiting in all the wrong ways. sigh, I really wanted to enjoy this one

X-Com - this was fantastic. but I've really played as much as I could out of it. I've tried to sink my teeth into the Long War mod, but it's just not my cup of tea. I don't mind the challenge, but the mod just feels bloated and clunky. And when trying to go back to the original, it just feels too familiar. No complaints about the game, but after hundreds of hours, I think I've finally exhausted my interest in this game

Sims4 - was hoping this would be decent. I've played/enjoyed all of them. but we all know how this game turned out

Sims3 - has anyone revisited this since the Sims4 release? I remember buying this a while ago and feeling an instant sense of "been here, done that" and used Origin's refund policy - of which I posted a thread about. Maybe I was too hasty in my return? I'm not sure if it's because I miss this game or because I've exhausted all my other ones. With Sims4 being such a disappointment, and Sims3 not looking too terribly "dated", I'm wondering if this is worth trying again? Has anyone gone back to it?

Any other games anyone can recommend? something light-hearted and more laid back to play in between BF4 matches?

prison architect 

FTL

gunpoint

floating point (free on steam, no microshitactions, also from the creator of gunpoint)

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

I still love a Sims 3 playthrough every now and again. Not gonna get into Sims 4 unless they introduce pools which, lets face it, is what the Sims is really all about.

Audiosurf 2 or 1 both are great

Symphony is a great game but for some off reason it crashes while using raptr

dynasty warriors 8 xtreme legends complete edition, this is a get cool down game, hack n slashs arent very hard and there is a lot of content and its all fluid

ion assault, its not a big game but its a name retro kinda game with fancy effects and all

killing floor- killing weird beings and blood never gets old

any visual novel- i like them and they make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Fallout or Portal.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

World of Warcraft

For real though

Maybe a racing game?

Intel 3570k 3,4@4,5 1,12v Scythe Mugen 3 gigabyte 770     MSi z77a GD55    corsair vengeance 8 gb  corsair CX600M Bitfenix Outlaw 4 casefans

Robocraft! This is my go to game when I'm tired of league and Dayz.
TF2 is also on my list.

CPU: Intel i5 4440 @3.1 GHz, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H87M-D3H µATX, RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz,
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 280X,Storage: 120GB Samsung 840 EVO and 1TB Seagate HDD,

PSU: Corsair CX750M, Case: Fractal Design Arc Mini R2

A nice game of Civ 5 usually calms be down a bit but warning it'll keep you thinking it's a strategy game... Or could try Borderlands it's a FPS but it's also a bit of an RPG free world like Skyrim it's also got lots of comedy and a nice story just try it... League of Legends is a MOBA like dota... Or bro you could always try something like TV, or anime; that's like a whole new level of casual

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas

I always enjoy playing through Pokemon games with music, movies or youtube videos

CPU: 4670K / Cooler: H100i / RAM: 4x4GB Corsair Vengence Pro 1866MHz / Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 / GPU: MSI TF 780 Gaming Edition / Case: Corsair Vengence C70 / Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo & 2TB Seagate Barracuda / PSU: EVGA SuperNova NEX750G

Mirrors edge

Spoiler

i5 4670k, GTX 970, 12GB 1600, 120GB SSD, 240GB SDD, 1TB HDD, CM Storm Quickfire TK, G502, VG248QE, ATH M40x, Fractal R4

Spoiler

i5 4278U, Intel Iris Graphics, 8GB 1600, 128GB SSD, 2560x1600 IPS display, Mid-2014 Model

Spoiler

All the parts are here, just need to get customized cords to connect the motherboard to the front panel.

Personally I play TF2 when I'm not "playing a game", if you know what I mean. It's just so easy to play and not get caught up in. I'd also recommend a racing game perhaps? Used to have Grid and PGR4 on the 360 before I switched to PC, and I picked up Grid, Grid 2, F1 2011 and F1 2013 in the last Steam sale. Just tone down the opponent AI if you can/want to and get a longer track - with a nice soundtrack I find it contrasts well with a fps.

Fallout

FTL

Civ 5

CPUIntel 4670k  Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H  RAMKingston HyperX 8GB  GPU - EVGA 780  Case - Fractal Design Define R4    Storage - 2TB WD Black, Samsung 840 Evo 128GB     PSU - Corsair RM650  Display -  Benq XL2430T and Acer S235HL  Cooling - CM Hyper 212 Evo  Keyboard - Corsair K95  Mouse - Razer Deathadder  Sound - Sennheiser HD 558                                 Mic - Blue Snowball  Phone- OnePlus One  Tablet - Nvidia Shield

FLT

RimWorld ( prison architect derivation but more intriguing )

Factorio

wow lots of responses already

dark souls
dark souls 2

always looked too hardcore to me

Try out the Mass Effect trilogy it's really great and it winds me down pretty nicely.

ohhhhhh man.....played through it farrrrrrrrr too many times.

I actually recently tried to do a complete re-playthrough (from ME1), but having a hard time dealing with ME1 gameplay

prison architect 

FTL

gunpoint

floating point (free on steam, no microshitactions, also from the creator of gunpoint)

will take a look at those - gunpoint sounds familiar

Honestly, the best "casual" game I've ever played was Pokemon. Bar none.

yeah, but having grown up with the original 151 - Pokemon is just weird now that they've expanded past the original 151

I still love a Sims 3 playthrough every now and again. Not gonna get into Sims 4 unless they introduce pools which, lets face it, is what the Sims is really all about.

how bad are the performance issues really? I never sunk my teeth into Sims 3 enough to remember/notice - mainly because I was in college at the release and I played so much of Sims 1 and 2 already

Audiosurf 2 or 1 both are great

Symphony is a great game but for some off reason it crashes while using raptr

dynasty warriors 8 xtreme legends complete edition, this is a get cool down game, hack n slashs arent very hard and there is a lot of content and its all fluid

ion assault, its not a big game but its a name retro kinda game with fancy effects and all

killing floor- killing weird beings and blood never gets old

any visual novel- i like them and they make you feel warm and fuzzy inside.

think more alt-tab friendly. I can see why some of those are decent recommendations, but I also mean "wind down" in a sense where I can casually play and browse other stuff and clear my mind

Fallout or Portal.

Takes too much focus/immersion imo

Something less serious?
Serious Sam

I c wut u did thar :)

World of Warcraft

For real though
Maybe a racing game?

tried to get back into WoW, but it's just too different (played TBC endgame in both pvp and pve)

racing is a no-go because I'm a sort of perfectionist. I can't casually whim around a track - I get too competitive and try to perfect runs.

plus I race my car in real life, so racing games feel stale to me now (sold my G27 wheel a long time ago)

DSC_1975done.jpg

TF2 is also on my list.

think a bit more alt-tab friendly is what I'm kind of after - something I can browse forums and youtube with

I have like 300 games on steam alone and at least l 200 of them are laid back or casual.
Is there any type of genre you Don't like??

Do you want them to be a short?

just something I could relax and read a forum or watch some youtube...management type games seem to lend itself well to this (xcom, sims, simcity)

A nice game of Civ 5 usually calms be down a bit but warning it'll keep you thinking it's a strategy game... Or could try Borderlands it's a FPS but it's also a bit of an RPG free world like Skyrim it's also got lots of comedy and a nice story just try it... League of Legends is a MOBA like dota... Or bro you could always try something like TV, or anime; that's like a whole new level of casual

the Civ series always looks so foreign to me. reviews never seem to explain the gist of how the gameplay works. I don't want to say it looks boring - it just looks....idk...I just don't see what's appealing about it. someone enlighten me (while I go look up some reviews)

If you have a controller lying around and a lot of music stored on your PC, i'd recommend checking out Beat Hazard. 

will take a look

Mirrors edge

Personally I play TF2 when I'm not "playing a game", if you know what I mean. It's just so easy to play and not get caught up in. I'd also recommend a racing game perhaps? Used to have Grid and PGR4 on the 360 before I switched to PC, and I picked up Grid, Grid 2, F1 2011 and F1 2013 in the last Steam sale. Just tone down the opponent AI if you can/want to and get a longer track - with a nice soundtrack I find it contrasts well with a fps.

said above - I loved GRID, but racing games don't do it for me anymore. I'll either get too competitive or want to get too immersed in it again and spend money/time on getting a wheel/chair setup again

Borderlands

looks like nothing but grind fest to me. this series never appealed to me

Paper's Please

I feel like I've watched enough of other people playing this. I can see why others find it captivating/fun, but I'm kind of over it /shrug

TF2 is also on my list.

robocraft is pretty entertaining

also OP maybe try space engineers if you havent yet. i think its pretty fun

the Civ series always looks so foreign to me. reviews never seem to explain the gist of how the gameplay works. I don't want to say it looks boring - it just looks....idk...I just don't see what's appealing about it. someone enlighten me (while I go look up some reviews)

looks like nothing but grind fest to me. this series never appealed to me

You do realize I suggested more than one game right? Also Civ series is you choose a country (get some extras based on that country) and then you start in the age of mesopotamia with 15 other countries progressing through time with technological advances and it's like a chess game for world domination...

And Borderlands isn't that much of a grindfest it's like an FPS version of Skyrim with the ability to respawn (oh and crazy amounts of humor ...instead of going to last save) you can always just follow the main story line  here's an example it's just character intros (maybe 2% of the humor in BL2)

*Pause at about 5 minutes to save the story's ending

5820k4Ghz/16GB(4x4)DDR4/MSI X99 SLI+/Corsair H105/R9 Fury X/Corsair RM1000i/128GB SM951/512GB 850Evo/1+2TB Seagate Barracudas