How do you feel about AT&T sponsoring LTT at CTIA

mvitkun

Considering how strongly Linus has spoken out about the preposterous practices of telecom companies, I feel like he'd be either unfair to us as consumers of his content by being a company posterboy, or unfair to his sponsors by lambasting them.

So just to clarify, you'd have preferred he did not take them on as a sponsor.

So you most closely align yourself with option 3 on the poll?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

as long as Linus can still voice his unfiltered opinion about the company (not neccesarly in th same vid) I don't see any reason not to accept their money. Most of his audience is pretty well educated and won't be influenced with a few ads.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

EDIT:Wow Checked who was viewing my content and saw " linusforsell, " I was sure some asshole made an account just now to troll forums after seeing AT&T was sponsoring, I then checked and he had 500 posts.....guess not.

I am pretty sure this user was mentioned by-name in past WAN show streams, has appeared in the Twitch chat, and possibly was present for @Slick unofficial afterparty streams (though that last one, I can't be too sure).

as long as Linus can still voice his unfiltered opinion about the company (not neccesarly in th same vid) I don't see any reason to accept their money. Most of his audience is pretty well educated and won't be influenced with a few ads.

you mean you don't see any reason NOT TO accept their money,right?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

Linus wouldn't buy out and lose his rep, it would just be, well bad

Like I said I trust linus but I don't like who he is associated with(AT&T). Its like me liking and trusting my friend (obviously), but not liking his GF cause she's a manipulative bitch :P.

Like I said I trust linus but I don't like who he is associated with(AT&T). Its like me liking and trusting my friend (obviously), but not liking his GF cause she's a manipulative bitch :P.

Makes sense.

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

AT&T bad wibe, they have some behind they ear! And its not beer its Baaaad for you(AT&T). But ofc if you need $$$ go for it!

She told me that she can't see me on weekends ever because her parents are super strict despite her being in college, I guess I'll have to trust her on that. (anybody catch that reference?)

Linus Sebastian said:

Really appreciate everyone's feedback in here so far, and I want to provide some clarifying information about the deal so that you don't feel like we've got anything to hide

The deal has the usual time-limited non-disparagement clause (end of September in this case). That DOESN'T mean on WAN show we can't report on something like AT&T's comments that 4Mbit is enough for broadband

We do need to cover some specific AT&T stuff at the show including the connected home and connected car showcases

We are not prevented in any way from covering OTHER stuff at the show

ATT has asked to review our videos before they go live to ensure the ATT messaging (thanking them at the beginning and end) is correct, which since we pre-recorded half of it (the pre-roll) it damn well better be.

Beyond the show, we have no plans to work with AT&T and if you guys prefer that we keep it that way, this thread is where to let your voice be heard.

Linus

She told me that she can't see me on weekends ever because her parents are super strict despite her being in college, I guess I'll have to trust her on that. (anybody catch that reference?)

all i heard was woosh

Now that LTT is more of a review channel and less about unboxing, I think it is a bad thing for your credibility to put your name next to a product that you have very little experience with day-to-day when you don't live in the US. As an example, you are always adamant with phone manufacturers that you need to fully switch to their device for a long period of time to do a proper review, and I feel you have betrayed that sentiment.

Really appreciate everyone's feedback in here so far, and I want to provide some clarifying information about the deal so that you don't feel like we've got anything to hide

The deal has the usual time-limited non-disparagement clause (end of September in this case). That DOESN'T mean on WAN show we can't report on something like AT&T's comments that 4Mbit is enough for broadband

We do need to cover some specific AT&T stuff at the show including the connected home and connected car showcases

ATT has asked to review our videos before they go live to ensure the ATT messaging (thanking them at the beginning and end) is correct, which since we pre-recorded half of it (the pre-roll) it damn well better be.

Beyond the show, we have no plans to work with AT&T and if you guys prefer that we keep it that way, this thread is where to let your voice be heard.

Linus

If it's just a little mention here and there then I don't really have a problem with it. Thanks for the clarification.

i7-4790K / Noctua NH-D14 / 16GB Patriot Signature / MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition / MSI R9 390 8GB / ASUS VG248QE + ASUS VX228 / 120GB 840 EVO + 2TB/1TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Samsung 840 EVO / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 / Windows 10 Pro / Sennheiser HD 558 / Ducky Shine 4 / Logitech G602 / NZXT H440 / Wii U / MH4U NN3DS / Currently listening to: Nintendo music

Honestly, if you believe Linus is selling out and that what he says will be influenced by AT&T, you're wrong. You need to watch the WAN Show that Linus did with Totalbiscuit AKA John Bain.

http://youtu.be/M6VsoncOTEg?t=30m11s

Like I said I don't think he's selling out, I actually really liked that WAN show BTW total biscuit is a great guest and contributes a lot of knowledge to the conversation.

Linus Sebastian said:

Linus

Another thing I'm worried about is that if you accept the sponsorship, and then AT&T do something horrendous and you report on it, that other potential sponsors might shy away from sponsoring you because it will look like you're shitting on your sponsors.

But like I said before, I'm not the one making a living here.

Linus

Well it's all about how you handle it. I mean I can't argue the existence of a non-disparagement clause. you can't have 

"Brought to you by AT&T"

"Which is fucking shite by the way"

and expect them to pay you. 

Personally I think it'll be handled just fine. But such a big telecom name on this topic really worries all of us. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Like I said I don't think he's selling out, I actually really liked that WAN show BTW total biscuit is a great guest and contributes a lot of knowledge to the conversation.

I know you don't think he's selling out, just pointing this out to those who do.

Well it's all about how you handle it. I mean I can't argue the existence of a non-disparagement clause. you can't have 

"Brought to you by AT&T"

"Which is fucking shite by the way"

and expect them to pay you. 

Personally I think it'll be handled just fine. But such a big telecom name on this topic really worries all of us. 

That's what I'm thinking, but, as you said, if he handles it well enough then I don't think they'll be dissatisfied with Linus endorsing them (aside from what the viewers might think, but that's a different story).

i7-4790K / Noctua NH-D14 / 16GB Patriot Signature / MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition / MSI R9 390 8GB / ASUS VG248QE + ASUS VX228 / 120GB 840 EVO + 2TB/1TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Samsung 840 EVO / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 / Windows 10 Pro / Sennheiser HD 558 / Ducky Shine 4 / Logitech G602 / NZXT H440 / Wii U / MH4U NN3DS / Currently listening to: Nintendo music

Linus need to eat he will take what ever comes... As long as he stays neutral we don't care... If u mad then u shud try sponsoring them

I hope you don't mind but I added your post to the OP for the sake of anybody viewing this thread for the first time.
Linus Sebastian said:

The deal has the usual time-limited non-disparagement clause (end of September in this case). 

Do a rant video when the non-disparagement clause is over :)

Can we have a brief youtube video show up before people make polls on this site?

I can count on my fingers the amount of times I've seen a correctly done poll.

This already looks polarized (ba-dum tss) by having two practically "yes" options and a "no, lolkek" option

why does nobody know how to make a poll ffs

all this is short of is a potato option and it's a typical poll I find here, next to useless.

Error: 410

I'm a conflicted about my opinion on this issue. 

On one side, Linus Media Group does need to make money and this is one method of doing so. Although, this is just a trip sponsor, so this may only cover Luke and Brandon's travel expenses at the show which may not have an effect on how Linus Media Group makes money. 

On the other side, Linus has been openly against net neutrality in the past, and is now being funded by a company that supports it, which seems wrong to me. 

I don't think Linus is a sellout, that's an awful term when it comes to Youtube content creation today. However, I think he should have either found another sponsor, or not gone to the show at all. I haven't had a problem with past sponsorships, they have all been great so far, but I don't feel like Linus can give his approval of this sponsor like he can the other ones and that is what I have a problem with.

I do hope that made some sense.

That's correct.  I did vote for #3.  I feel like taking gifts/money/sponsorships or w/e necessarily biases content(which isn't always a bad thing), which I feel like is a bad thing if it's AT&T

So just to clarify, you'd have preferred he did not take them on as a sponsor.

So you most closely align yourself with option 3 on the poll?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

Can we have a brief youtube video show up before people make polls on this site?

I can count on my fingers the amount of times I've seen a correctly done poll.

This already looks polarized (ba-dum tss) by having two practically "yes" options and a "no, lolkek" option

why does nobody know how to make a poll ffs

It has a 

"I trust LTT to give us content that represents products and services correctly and fairly to the best of LTT's ability, despite any problems I might have with AT&T sponsoring the show" option.

"I trust LTT to give us content that represents products and services correctly and fairly to the best of LTT's ability, and I see no problems with AT&T sponsoring the show" option.

and a 

"I do not believe the content that will be shown will represent all products and services at CTIA correctly and fairly to the best of LTT's ability due to the AT&T sponsorship" option.

I feel I expressed all valid choices.

Linus Sebastian said: