How do you feel about AT&T sponsoring LTT at CTIA

mvitkun

It has a 

"I trust LTT to give us content that represents products and services correctly and fairly to the best of LTT's ability, despite any problems I might have with AT&T sponsoring the show" option.

"I trust LTT to give us content that represents products and services correctly and fairly to the best of LTT's ability, and I see no problems with AT&T sponsoring the show" option.

and a 

"I do not believe the content that will be shown will represent all products and services at CTIA correctly and fairly to the best of LTT's ability due to the AT&T sponsorship" option.

I feel I expressed all valid choices.

First two might as well be the same. He wants to know a definitive yes or no. 

It has a 

"I trust LTT to give us content that represents products and services correctly and fairly to the best of LTT's ability, despite any problems I might have with AT&T sponsoring the show" option.

"I trust LTT to give us content that represents products and services correctly and fairly to the best of LTT's ability, and I see no problems with AT&T sponsoring the show" option.

and a 

"I do not believe the content that will be shown will represent all products and services at CTIA correctly and fairly to the best of LTT's ability due to the AT&T sponsorship" option.

I feel I expressed all valid choices.

Except that's not actually what your poll says, assuming I even agree with this which I currently quote.

It's too late to change it now either way, ignore this post and desist for the sake of not derailing.

Error: 410

None of the options are right for me at all.

From my (now redundant) thread:

So, LMG have been saying the right things about Net Neutrality, speaking with the wallet and all that jazz and what have we now seen, a damn sponsorship from one of the biggest companies fighting AGAINST net neutrality. What the hell?

LMG have gone against some of the important things they've said over the years with this one sponsor spot, I don't know about the rest of the folks here, but I'd have much rather gone without the Samsung event coverage if it meant selling a spot to AT & F*in T!

I can't express just how enraged I am right now without going nuts here. I respected and recommended LTT to a good number of people and linked them to videos that were relevant for them and I'm all of a sudden feeling like I want nothing to do with them at all anymore, this is such a massive error in judgement it's unreal..

That's Youtube comments and forum done, Twitter next!

AARRRRGGGGHHHHHH, SO DISAPPOINTED!

CPU: FX 6300 @ stock Mobo: Gigabyte 990FX UD5 v3.0 GPU: 1 x R9 290 4GB RAM: 24GB DDR3 1600 SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB HDD: 1 x 1TB & 1 x 500GB PSU: BeQuiet PowerZone 1000W Case: Coolermaster Elite 370 (upside down due to lack of stick thermal pads for memory heatsinks) CPU Cooler: Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 GPU Coolers: Thermalright HR03-GT Fans: 5 x Akasa Apache Blacks, 1 x Corsair 120mm SP HP (GPU) & 1 x Noctua 92mm
Most of this was from mining rig, hence the scewy specs (especially PSU)

I think most of the audience for LTT is mature enough to understand why you have sponsors even though we might not agree with what the message the sponsor has outside of a LTT we understand that you need sponsors so we can enjoy your content.

First two might as well be the same. He wants to know a definitive yes or no. 

I created three options because I felt there would be people who 

A.Trusted Linus but not AT&T.

B.Trusted Linus and AT&T.

C.Did not trust AT&T and by relation any content of this show generated by LTT.

I didn't think there'd be anybody on LTT forums who did not trust Linus or AT&T, and I felt that knowing how people felt about the sponsorship was the point.

Had I wanted to know "do you want LTT to allow AT&T and other similar sponsors." I would have made that topic

My poll allows the above question to be answered and the question of how people actually responded to the sponsorship to be answered as well.

I didn't expect everybody to love the way I created this post though, and since only a few of the 1600 people who've seen this post,100 or so of which have participated in the poll, voiced concerns about this being a bad poll I'll take it that most of them had no problem with it.

Except that's not actually what your poll says, assuming I even agree with this which I currently quote.
It's too late to change it now either way, ignore this post and desist for the sake of not derailing.

The options were already saying that, and I don't plan to rename it.

I simply made it more clear for you.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I for one am against big corporate sponsors in companies, like LTT that are trying to keep they're own opinions and stay independent, if they have to many stipulations. As long as they let LTT do whatever they want and I don't see AT&T ads every 10 seconds I'm cool with it. After all someone has to help keep these guys in business.

I trust Linus about as far as I can throw him, but he's pretty short...so YMMV.

I don't however trust AT&T or any other anti-employee anti-consumer business,

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

I trust Linus about as far as I can throw him, but he's pretty short...so YMMV.

I don't however trust AT&T or any other anti-employee anti-consumer business,

Do you trust the content produced by LTT at CTIA to be representative of their (LTT's) actual views despite them being sponsored by AT&T?

Will you trust them in spite of the sponsorship or will the sponsorship make your trust in them wane?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

Do you trust the content produced by LTT at CTIA to be representative of their (LTT's) actual views despite them being sponsored by AT&T?

Will you trust them in spite of the sponsorship or will the sponsorship make your trust in them wane?

I don't have unwavering trust in them. Never have, never will. I don't have unwavering trust in anyone or anything.

I think their views will be objective, (at least as much as they can be) but I'm still disappointed in them. Obviously they need the cash but a slightly less bad company would have been nice.

"You have got to be the biggest asshole on this forum..."

-GingerbreadPK

sudo rm -rf /

Even if his opinion isn't swayed I'm still shocked that he would give ATT any coverage, they're one of the ISP's involved in ending net neutrality and no matter how much you try to push the forums as a way to build a community, this place is infested with fanboys and Linus Media Group would be over if it wasn't for YouTube or some other streaming service.

I have to say I am not extremely happy in a sponsorship deal with a company who (among others) threaten the core nature of what we, this community believes the internet should be. I don't believe that linus has sold out or think he wont tell the truth anymore or anything but its more than just hearing "thanks to AT&T" at the start and end of a video we watch. Our name is also featured on their website and as such can be used to hide the fact that what we the tech community believe is that what the ISP industry is doing is pretty much criminal. Tech heads are the people that should know better. Should we have our name on their website then?

@Slick how does you feel about you being personally associated with AT&T?

post-8262-0-42986800-1410399099_thumb.jp

http://blogs.att.net/consumerblog/story/a7796023

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I wouldn't worry about them forcing something into Linus's mouth *immature giggling* and more worried about what would happen if Linus said something they do not like, because we all know how quickly companies like AT&T are to true to sue or blackmail people.

MoBo: 970A-D3P CPU: FX-8350 GPU: HD 7950 PSU: 1000watt RAM:8Gb of G,skill 1600

Even if his opinion isn't swayed I'm still shocked that he would give ATT any coverage, they're one of the ISP's involved in ending net neutrality and no matter how much you try to push the forums as a way to build a community, this place is infested with fanboys and Linus Media Group would be over if it wasn't for YouTube or some other streaming service.

I have no problem with AT&T sponsoring people with views contrary to their own, Linus has already made a statement that AT&T will not censor their videos, the sponsorship is only valid through the end of the show,and all they have to do is ensure that they cover certain AT&T parts of the show and show the intro + outro informing viewers that AT&T sponsored their coverage.

@smjpl

Linus Sebastian said:

you mean you don't see any reason NOT TO accept their money,right?

lol ya that's what i was going for thanks for catching that.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

A sponsorship is a two part deal. The sponsor (in this case ATT) collaborates with the sponsored to make their name/brand/product reach out more audience (publicity); but they have to trade expenses ($).

The sponsored (in this case LinusMediaGroup) has the possibility to deliver a high quality product that otherwise they wouldn't be able to do. But they have to trade the word of the company to their audience (ads).

How does this affect us? Well, we will have event coverage and new content, where LTT won't show us the bad part of ATT, just a short ad. After CTIA Linus will resume his activities, even if they involve trashing ATT. Doesn't look so bad, does it?

Well, IMO it is bad, quite a bit actually. Even if it isn't the intention or it doesn't seem so, Linus is promoting ATT and supporting their existence as a company by taking the sponsorship. In case you don't know it, ATT is a large part of the telecommunication companies group that provides services to the US. Together these companies bring a detrimental environment and situation to the country, monopolizing the market, committing illegal and anti-constitutional crimes, and finally producing a major cripple on technological development, services and infrastructure. And if you think this doesn't affect you as you are not in the US, you are wrong; services on the US are used by all the world and in this case it specially messes with internet users across the globe. Each day there is more examples of my statements.

Personally, this is not a deal breaker for me, I will still consume content from LTT and be a part of the community. But a fraction of my good will and respect to LinusMediaGroup is lost forever.

I don't like it, ATT stands for everything I'm against Internet and communications related.

I have no problem with AT&T sponsoring people with views contrary to their own, Linus has already made a statement that AT&T will not censor their videos, the sponsorship is only valid through the end of the show,and all they have to do is ensure that they cover certain AT&T parts of the show and show the intro + outro informing viewers that AT&T sponsored their coverage.

@smjpl

It's not about them pushing their opinions  on LMG, it's brand awareness. They're moving in on new media to make themselves look more like a company of the people when they're just out to screw people over. 

It's not about them pushing their opinions  on LMG, it's brand awareness. They're moving in on new media to make themselves look more like a company of the people when they're just out to screw people over. 

The tech community is usually already aware of AT&T and other companies that are all over tech headlines, typically in a negative way, on an weekly basis internationally. 

Linus Sebastian said:

as long as linus is able to say and do whatever he wants im fine with it

I'm fine with it as long as LTT does what LTT does. Linus is smart enough to make choices for his own company.

I agree.

It does not mean LMG is falling to the "dark side" for doing this coverage. It's not like they hired LMG to say "AT&T IS THE BEST, GET AT&T NOW@@!"

What I got from this sponsorship is that AT&T cares enough technology that they are willing to spend money to get people to cover this event. Now, you might think this is AT&T trying to gain some good press. That may be true. But is it a bad thing? They're trying to improve their image, like any other companies out there.

Yes, they're evil when it comes to telecom. And yes, they think 4Mbps is enough. But that does not mean everything they have done is all bad. I mean, they haven't traded souls to Satan (yet). GabeN on the other hand have made extensive deals with the devil, i'm sure. How do you think he's been able to sell us such cheap games? Speaking of Valve, think in reverse: Valve does a lot of things right, so is everything they do acceptable, are they a perfect company? No. Talk to anyone who have dealt with steam customer service . . . .

Point is, they have no ill intentions behind this sponsorship as far as I can see.

But back on topic.

I'm sure Linus have thought about it extensively and had come to the conclusion that the sponsorship is harmless to his company before agreeing to or signing anything.

Do you guys really think Linus is gullible enough to have fallen into AT&T's trap? (Linus did you fall into their trap??)

Long time lurker never posted before (content). 

I hate ATT, I think their constant attempts at corrupting the government are worthy of scorn and condemnation.  If you were American and had to deal with their bullshit I assume you would have refused their offer outright. 

To put it another way, I really enjoy Linus tech tips because it feels like a homegrown business run with the consumers best interest in mind; however as you take money from a morally reprehensible company you begin to spend what I call fan capital.  Fan capital, representing a fans overall opinion and esteem of your organization.  In this case, not much capital is lost, it only slightly bothered me that you would work with ATT, and it only undermines my opinion of your organization.  However with every sponsorship deal like this it spends more and more fan capital to the point where I would push Linus tech tips to the periphery of consumer reviews and reporting, instead of watching it all the time and recommending it to friends and family.  

I recommend you have a line that you are not willing to cross with sponsorship.  Whether it be monsanto, philip morris, haliburton, kbr, att, comcast, time warner cable, walmart, bank of america, hsbc (and many many more). 

It doesn’t have to be public, but I think there should be a thought that if ATT asks you to promote their company you think to yourself that’s ok ATT, go F yourself.   

I think this thread is evidence that this sponsorship is close to that line for you guys.

Do you really need the sponsorship that bad?  Was Beyoncé so poor that she needed to perform a concert for Gaddafi?

I am quite surprised that AT&T and LTT actually got a sponsorship. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

The tech community is usually already aware of AT&T and other companies that are all over tech headlines, typically in a negative way, on an weekly basis internationally. 

AT&T are not stupid, they're not aiming at the established community like you and me. They're aiming at the new people. People aged 13-18 are very susceptible to advertising so you really have to put across the right image. I'd be interested to know the demographics for the viewers on the LTT YouTube channel. They're not going after the tech community, they're going after all content creators. Mark my words it'll start here then spread to gaming, comedy, how to guides and then finally push back into new media news and we're back to square one. Bullshit content, bullshit options, uneducated viewers.